Incident report, February 2015 event

Tobias Pfeiffer

Feb 6, 2015, 9:53:05 AM2/6/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Dear fellow Rubyists,

I want to inform you of an incident that happened yesterday at the Ruby
User Group event. A picture in one of the presentations included an
extreme display of violence. There is at least one case where I know
that a fellow community member was triggered by this, while others also
found it questionable. The presenter removed the slide in question from
the slide deck for the upload of the presentation and apologized to the
affected person. I want to apologize again to anyone who was
discomforted, upset or triggered by this.

I'd also like to take this moment to reiterate that we want to make sure
absolutely everyone feels welcome at our events. This includes thinking
about how presentations might affect anyone in the audience. We are a
lot of people with varying backgrounds, something that is normal or ok
to one person can be triggering for another.

We will also take measurements such as including more information when
contacting speakers. This includes a link to our code of conduct as well
as some general help/advice for presentations to avoid incidents in the
future.

For reference here is our code of conduct:
http://rubyberlin.github.io/code-of-conduct/

We will also work to improve and extend our code of conduct, please join
in on the discussion: https://github.com/rubyberlin/code-of-conduct/issues

For a welcoming and inclusive community.

Have a good day everyone
Tobi