[JOB] Senior Ruby Developer @ Tweek.tv

Feña Agar

Jun 26, 2015, 5:23:42 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com

We’re looking for a Senior Backend Developer that knows his/her way with Ruby, scalable platforms, algorithms, is passionate about the web and technology, wants to work with a world-class team and wants to live (or already lives) in Berlin.

Tweek is a company dedicated to help users and other companies discover and provide relevant content around the world. Sounds easy?… it’s not.

What we expect from you:

  • Design & Develop our new recommendations system for different types of content (Movies, TV Series, Music, and more…).

  • Develop customized solutions for different companies around the world.

  • Elaborate and decide on architectural challenges for the current and new platforms.

  • Be able to translate requirements into tasks and work them fast within reasonable deadlines.

  • Be proactive and self-directed, but still be a team player. In other words: “Don’t work alone and do what’s needed to be done"

Requirements:

  • 3+ years of Ruby experience or some other language. We don’t like programming languages holy wars, so you better be open!

  • Knowledge about design patterns and algorithms.

  • You have strong technical skills and a deep understanding of API technologies, best practices, standards, and current trends.

  • You build systems that are simple and scale, in other words: Beautiful.

  • Have a european passport or european work permit. (See this is in bold?, it’s VERY important… really… )

  • Fluent speak/read/write english.

  • You can recognize 3 different kinds of beer… blindfolded... without drinking them.

Plus:

  • Past experience or extended knowledge about either recommendations systems, machine learning, matching systems, NER, AWS Architecture or API development. If you know all of them… welcome to Tweek!.

  • Active contributor to open source software or active member of some development community.

  • Startup environment know-how, DevOps experience or lead developer experience.

  • German language skills.

What you can expect from us:

  • Self-organized work environment where you as part of the team decide how to solve problems.

  • Strong network in the Berlin startup ecosystem. Founders have worked in different startups since 2002.

  • We cover a huge variety of online courses and their certificate costs, such as Coursera & Treehouse.

  • We got your equipment covered: Macbook pro, second monitor, keyboard, mouse and trackpad - whatever you need.

  • Standard European contract including 24 days of vacations

  • Office drinks of choice & a company outing every quarter.

If you feel that you fit and got excited, drop us a line at jobs [at] tweek.tv :)
(Please mention that you saw the announcement here)

Tom Stuart

Jun 26, 2015, 5:31:30 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Feña,

Are you happy to work with people who don't drink beer? Maybe don't mention it in your ad. It's strongly off-putting even to those of us who enjoy the occasional drink.

Are you happy to work with people who don't use he/his/him or she/her/her? Consider using 'they' as a gender-neutral pronoun instead.

Cheers,

Felix Schäfer

Jun 26, 2015, 5:38:56 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Feña, Tom,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Tom Stuart <t...@stuart.berlin> wrote:
Are you happy to work with people who don't drink beer? Maybe don't mention it in your ad. It's strongly off-putting even to those of us who enjoy the occasional drink.

That's also the first thing that caught my eye although I didn't want to read or scan it, as I'm not looking for a job. When reading this I'm under the impression that you're looking for a "brogrammer" rather than a developer. Others might feel the same and not consider applying because of that.

I still wish you and Tweek good luck finding a good candidate :-)

Felix

Daniel Bovensiepen

Jun 26, 2015, 5:39:28 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
If you read the ad carefully, the skill they are searching for is actually someone who can distinguish beer by smelling it. So they don't exclude people who don't drink, only people who can't smell. So i guess people with smell disabilities are not welcome there. Very useful skill for backend developer though.

/daniel

André Pankratz

Jun 26, 2015, 5:46:53 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
OMG, cut him some slack. He tried to be funny. Didn't work. Let's move on.

Tom Stuart

Jun 26, 2015, 5:48:57 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
The ad attempted to be funny but probably (most likely unintentionally) put people off applying. I think it's fair to point that out and remind the forum of the standards we expect from each other in terms of creating an inclusive and welcoming community, here.

Cheers,

Lukas Rieder

Jun 26, 2015, 5:55:56 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Well, he already excluded people without a european work permit. Do you think that is fair and welcoming?

Tom Stuart

Jun 26, 2015, 5:57:28 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Either you're trolling, or you really can't see the difference between the two. Either way, it's pretty disappointing.

*mutes thread*

Nico Hagenburger

Jun 26, 2015, 6:00:49 AM6/26/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
We want to be open to everybody, even those that made mistakes and are willing to improve. I learned myself by making mistakes and having other people pointing them out. So thanks everybody for reading carefully and I’m sure it helps making their next job post look differently :)

Cheers,

Nico