Talk proposal: API Accessibility - Key Concepts driving Developer Adoption

Oliver Thamm

Aug 22, 2016, 11:56:45 AM8/22/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

here's my talk proposal and also Sep meetup is last chance for you to
hear it this year, since I am going to US for a few months soon. It'd be
a first version of my Nov 2016 talk at APIStrat in Boston. Would love to
contribute to a nice evening! :)

http://www.rug-b.de/topics/api-accessibility-key-concepts-driving-developer-adoption

http://boston2016.apistrat.com/speakers/oliver-thamm

Cheers, Oliver

Oliver Thamm

Sep 2, 2016, 12:58:28 PM9/2/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Since my yesterdays talk on "API Accessibility" was partly a dry run for
a conference gig: Could you please feedback? Especially the conference
veterans I didn't ping in person, yet? I'd be so super thankful for
everyone bothering. :)

Also, (sorry to push that again) whoever can make a re-intro for a 30
min cold beverage in his Brooklyn neighborhood to Steve Klabnik: I'd owe
you! We are looking for advisors to our board and 1st time we met he
seemed interested. Happy for intros to other well connected US OSS
people in our field also to set feet on the ground over there. :) We are
over there Oct - Jan for an accelerator program.

Please ping me for any questions regarding the talk (or our project).
I'll be happy to answer them.

Kind regards, Oliver

oli...@xapix.io
@POSoftware

Links in my talk:

REST slidedeck ( c: Guillaume Laforge):
http://restlet.com/blog/2015/11/16/the-never-ending-debate-on-rest-api-design/
airberlin competition: http://airberlin.devpost.com/
xapix developer info: http://www.xapix.io/developers

Bodo Tasche

Sep 2, 2016, 1:42:27 PM9/2/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com
My first question would be:

What was your goal with this talk?

Because that was not clear to me at all :( .

For me it was just a list of not really good connected slides with buzzwords :/ .

You might need the presentation by at first writing down in 3-4 sentences what you want that people
have learned after listening to it and restructure the talk to that. And try to explain one or two of the
core concepts behind the buzzwords with small examples. Maybe advantages and disadvantages of using
those techniques.

And to Steve: he is really good at filtering out people that he doesn’t want to talk to. So if he stopped
replying, he might have a reason to do so :( . Sorry.
> --
> --

signature.asc

Oliver Thamm

Sep 2, 2016, 2:24:35 PM9/2/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

wow, that's really harsh criticism, but OK I gotta face it. :(

I want to raise awareness about developers doing API integrations being
customers of developers designing API interfaces on the server side.
Going through my slides I feel I didn't fail as bad at this as you put,
but OK that's your feedback and I gotta work on it.

Opening that perspective I introed basic (in some points advanced)
knowledge and design concepts that may help server side API devs to
understand needs of the counterparty. I know this is a huge problem in
the API ecosystem because that my daily business and everyone
maintaining an app with more than 3 API integration may agree.

Now I feel bad. Asking for feedback just before a weekend isn't a good
idea. :(

Thank you anyway, will continue work on my presentation.

Cheers, Oliver

Sebastian Spier

Sep 3, 2016, 5:21:25 AM9/3/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com
I don't have feedback for your talk (as I was not there) but I am interested in this topic.
Did you share your slides somewhere?

Thanks and happy weekend

/Sebastian

Oliver Thamm

Sep 3, 2016, 9:31:45 AM9/3/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com

Sure, there's a handycam video of it and I'll send you my slides in a separate email. Anyone else?

Feedback is highly welcome! (any more bullying not so much)

Cheers, Oliver

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RUG-B" group.