[rug-b] [JOB] Ruby Wizard Wanted

Torsten Graf-Oettel

Jan 10, 2017, 8:35:59 AM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

we @Deluxe/mediapeers are looking for a new peer with skill, passion and humor who would love to help us raise our software to the next level with state of the art web technologies - see below for details.

Let me know if you are interested and I’ll take it from there...

Thanx & Greetz
Torsten

Ruby Wizard @Deluxe/mediapeers

You will work on a sophisticated API-based SaaS solution for the distribution of audiovisual content – covering content and asset management, video screening and file delivery. Some of the largest film studios, broadcasters and distributors from around the world are using our software.

Your tasks

· craft robust code that is well tested and can be easily understand by your colleagues

· optimize our code and service quality by suggesting new solutions, technologies and processes

· mentor others on areas that you are strong in and are open to be mentored on areas you are unfamiliar with

· bring in enthusiasm, knowledge and skills to build with us the most advanced multi-tenant SaaS for content and asset management

Our requirements

· You enjoy what you are doing and your profession is your passion

· You are well experienced in developing web application

· You have solid programming background in Ruby

· You got the ideas behind distributed systems/REST-based SOAs

· You are a true team player and enjoy sharing knowledge proactively

· You are based in Berlin or willing to move

Our Offer

· Choose freelance or permanent contract with competitive pay package

· Pick your favorite development tools and office equipment

· Enjoy our flat hierarchy where everyone counts and is appreciated

· Experience our relocation service including a temporary apartment

If the position offered is of interest to you, please send your code examples and an informal application to h...@mediapeers.com.

mediapeers is a Berlin based subsidiary of Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, the leading provider of entertainment industry services and technologies. We offer complete film and digital solutions for production, post-production, major studio and independent theatrical release, broadcast, home entertainment, on-line, archiving and asset management. Deluxe operates facilities in major film, video and digital production markets around the world.

Tobias Pfeiffer

Jan 10, 2017, 2:56:48 PM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

please be reminded that a wide variety of people get this email and I'm
sure you want to include everyone, so the opener "Hi guys" might not be
your best option.

Cheers and good luck,
Tobi
--
http://www.pragtob.info/

Torsten Graf-Oettel

Jan 10, 2017, 4:54:59 PM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tobi,

I got the concern you raise but IMO it’s more a problem of German thinking than of actual usage.
However, next time I’ll use ‘Hi ladies’ instead ;)

Thanx,
Torsten
> --

Bodo Tasche

Jan 10, 2017, 4:57:33 PM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
You just disqualified yourself and showed that you don’t want to be part of the Ruby Community.
Inclusiveness is one of the most important corner stones here.

if you don’t like that, don’t be surprised that nobody wants to work for you.
signature.asc

Matthias Viehweger

Jan 10, 2017, 5:39:02 PM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!

I for one do now, after that witty response, consider working for the company. Just to prove a point. (I won't, sorry, Torsten, I already have a job that I like.)

On the other hand I really like if criticism is handled in public and praise in private. That always makes me feel welcome.

I am really happy to be physically far away from this.

It's a little sad to see how this community has ended. Maybe one day the pendulum will swing back to being nice. That would be cool right? The whole MINSWAN ideal?

I'll see myself out. For my benefit, not yours, to be clear.

Enjoy your safe space.

Cheers,
Matthias Viehweger
--
http://kronn.de
http://github.com/kronn - @der_kronn

Andrei Ursan

Jan 10, 2017, 6:03:49 PM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
What I am always missing from all of this flame is the proper etymological conversation about the word guy/guys.
Although I personally try to avoid using it by replacing it with words like: fellows, folks, leute, humans, peoples. But I never feel that we touch on the “scientific” part of the vocabulary when we have this type of conversations.

If anyone has a more in-depth research around the word I would gladly like to read it.

Of course me saying all of this doesn’t add anything useful to the conversation but, from a technical side, the conversation so far is poor in information.

_
Good Night!

Manuel Kniep

Jan 10, 2017, 6:18:56 PM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com

> It's a little sad to see how this community has ended. Maybe one day the pendulum will swing back to being nice. That would be cool right? The whole MINSWAN ideal?
>
> I'll see myself out. For my benefit, not yours, to be clear.

thanks Mathias for the clear words, I’ll follow you

Manuel

Oliver Thamm

Jan 10, 2017, 6:19:57 PM1/10/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Thx Tobi for the way you put your friendly reminders, they made me aware
of a lot of issues already. It's a lot rules to always remember. I wish
everyone would try to follow your example.

Bodo, sorry, but you are just a common bully. Talking from personal
experience a few months ago.

Peace out, Oliver

Jonas Tracht

Jan 11, 2017, 3:33:33 AM1/11/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

since this is cropping up from time to time:
"Guys" is used and meant inclusively in english, and is extensively used by females and males alike to address a group of people.
Please also see the relevant post on stackexchange for english language.

Best,

Jonas

Tobias Pfeiffer

Jan 11, 2017, 3:51:08 AM1/11/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

for me this is not about the etymology or whatever of the word but about
actual people feeling excluded and marginalized and it has been brought
to my attention (by people inside and outside of the community) enough
times that people feel excluded because of this and that it is a reason
driving them away. So, if we can just switch a word to be more inclusive
and welcome more people to our community why shouldn't we?
In my mind this is very much in the spirit of MINSWAAN. (I'm also happy
about people remembering MINSWAAN because you don't hear it much
anymore, but that's another topic).

What is not in that spirit is being not nice aka rude and this behavior
is not welcome here.

Maybe I should have sent my email in private, I did it publicly as I
think it was a rather nice email and it should also serve as a little
reminder for everyone.

If you feel that this was inappropriate (I can't clearly discern which
comments were aimed at me vs. others), I'd appreciate it if you told me
(probably best in private so that this list doesn't blow up). I'll also
follow up with some people in private.

Cheers,
Tobi

On 01/11/2017 12:03 AM, Andrei Ursan wrote:
> What I am always missing from all of this flame is the
> proper etymological conversation about the word guy/guys.
> Although I personally try to avoid using it by replacing it with words
> like: fellows, folks, leute, humans, peoples. But I never feel that we
> touch on the “scientific” part of the vocabulary when we have this type
> of conversations.
>
> I just googled and found some interesting
> stuff, http://www.businessinsider.com/guy-fawkes-created-the-word-guy-2013-11?IR=T and
> there is even a WashingtonPost article about
> it https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/05/14/the-origin-of-the-word-guy/
>
> If anyone has a more in-depth research around the word I would gladly
> like to read it.
>
> —
>
> Of course me saying all of this doesn’t add anything useful to the
> conversation but, from a technical side, the conversation so far is poor
> in information.
>

> _
> Good Night!
>
>> On 10 Jan 2017, at 23:38, Matthias Viehweger <kr...@kronn.de
> <mailto:rug-b+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> <mailto:ru...@googlegroups.com>.

http://www.pragtob.info/

Alex Coles

Jan 15, 2017, 6:53:44 PM1/15/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com
I cringe whenever this subject comes up…

At the first RUG::B I attended all talks were in German. Some years ago the community settled on English for communication. As far as I know, the aim was to be “inclusive”, particularly as Berlin has become more and more of an international city. While the transition to English may be great for many, it does have the potential to put native German speakers at a disadvantage. Moreover, it is grossly unfair to hold non-native speakers to the same linguistic standards as native speakers. In fact, I find it *exclusionary*. I’d even advise adding a  “language ability” non-discrimination clause to the CoC.

Imagine that this mailing list were still in German and a I, as a native English speaker, were to join and use a possibly sexist form of speech - the wrong article or the generic masculine, let’s say (really not hard to do in German!) I really wouldn’t want to be shamed in public. On the other hand, I obviously wouldn’t mind someone writing me a quick note to point out the problem with the aim of helping me to improve my foreign language skills.

I grew up in the UK and had a good education at a university in the English-speaking world. It’s totally acceptable to scrutinise the English words I use. If you’re less privileged and you've learnt English from school, books and TV imports (where, whether we like it or not, sexist language - and “guys” - is pervasive), you should be cut some slack.

Best,

Alex

A R

Jan 17, 2017, 4:27:42 PM1/17/17
to ru...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

please use inclusive language.

Please take the time to do a bit of research, before you put your common-sense feelings, when they come from a male perspective, above the concerns of other groups of people who are being excluded on a regular basis and in many different ways, bigger and smaller (as you might guess, it adds up).

Casually erasing women and generally people who don't identify as men in everyday language is a problem.

The fact that something is still common practice in many places doesn't mean it is not. And this is not a question of etymology, or the intentions of the person speaking/writing.

If you haven't already, I recommend searching for "guys inclusive language", "male privilege", "sexist migroaggressions".

Or start here: http://www.vox.com/2015/6/11/8761227/you-guys-sexism-language

It's obviously inaccurate when addressing a mixed-gender group. But I learned it has other consequences, too.
(Though this article is not perfect, and, regarding alternatives, I don't like/am rather unsure about "gang", and certainly don't think "guys and girls" is the way to go.)

Thanks, Tobi, for speaking up about this.

Best,

Ariane