Re: [Rails] Parent' show view and nested resources - Best practices ?

BalaRaju Vankala

Mar 28, 2013, 11:52:50 AM3/28/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I think no need to use any gem. Its better to you learn how to use nested resources .

www.guides.rubyonrails.org/routing.html

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Cyril Rouyer <cyril....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everybody,

First, sorry for my poor english, I will try to be clear :)

I'm wondering what are the best practices in order to obtain a view showing data on a parent object, with sub-tabs, each tab for a nested resource.

Imagine that you have a Contact model. Each contact has :
  •  documents,
  • participations to meetings,
  •  comments (which could be polymorphic)
  •  ...

When you access to the show page of the contact, you'd like to see contact information at the top of the page, and under these information, a tab-bar, each tab for each nested-resource : documents, meetings, comments, ...

Ho do you do this kind of layouts / views ?

A friend explain me that I can use the inherited_resources gem, which is really useful to abstract and handle nested_controllers, but I still don't find a good solution for the layouts/view.

Thank you by advance

Thank You.

Best Wishes,

BalaRaju Vankala,
8886565300.

Gintautas Šimkus

Mar 28, 2013, 12:15:44 PM3/28/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
How about each tab Ajax-linking (link_to <...>, :remote => true) to documents, participants, comments controllers' respective index actions, which render render inline content via Ajax call to a dedicated space (under "tabs") and doing all the other stuff of marking the correct tab "active"?

For example "Documents tab" (not tested, basically a concept): link_to "Documents", contact_documents_path(@contact), :remote => true

then you'd have documents#index action and documents/index.js.haml template that'd populate #tab_content div which is just under your general Contact information, as you described; the entry point would be contacts#show action; you'd assign @contact there.

And you nest the resources something like:

resources :contacts do
  resources :documents
  resources :participants
  resources: comments
end

Just brainstorming, feel free to disregard ;)

Cyril Rouyer

Mar 29, 2013, 5:48:26 AM3/29/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,