Overriding number_to_human (Rails 3.0.5)

cipher_neo

Oct 26, 2011, 10:23:10 AM10/26/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I encountered a problem today, in that the number_to_human helper has a defect where it spits out an error when passed any number bigger than 0 and less than 1.

eg number_to_human(0.2) gives "nil can't be coerced into fixnum"

So, I found this patch:

Now to apply it, I had to create a file: lib/number_helper_overrides and put the override code in there:

module ActionView
  module Helpers
    module NumberHelper
      def number_to_human(number, options = {})
        #the code in here bla bla
      end
    end
  end
end

then in environment.rb I put:

require "number_helper_overrides"

Is this the proper way to override in rails 3?

If so, then should I really need to put the "require" statement into the environment.rb file?
I already have the autoload path set to load file from the lib directory?

thanks,

Lee

cipher_neo

Oct 28, 2011, 5:17:05 AM10/28/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
anyone?

Jim Ruther Nill

Nov 1, 2011, 3:44:29 AM11/1/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried putting it in config/initializers/?  You won't need the require statement if you put it there.

thanks,

Lee

visit my blog at http://jimlabs.heroku.com

cipher_neo

Nov 1, 2011, 5:34:07 AM11/1/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
yes, that seems to have done the job, thanks!