[Feature][ActiveRecord] Finding Orphans

Tom Rossi

Nov 27, 2018, 5:41:53 PM11/27/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Its common for me to look for orphans and I typically do it like this:

Child.eager_load(:parent).where(parents: { id: nil })

I would like to propose putting together a PR for something like this:

Child.missing(:parent)
Parent.missing(:children)

Please let me know if others are interested in the functionality and I would love to give it a shot!

Nathaniel Suchy

Dec 10, 2018, 8:55:51 PM12/10/18
to Ruby on Rails: Core
That functionality sounds really useful. The code you showed you use above to find orphans seems a bit more complex than an easy to use ActiveRecord method. I look forward to seeing what other people say about this idea :)

John Pollard

Dec 10, 2018, 8:55:51 PM12/10/18
to Ruby on Rails: Core
I definitely find myself looking for orphans to clean up my database. What about adding a method scope as "missing_#{relationship_name}"

Book.missing_author #without a parent

Author.missing_books #without children

Joshua Stowers

Dec 11, 2018, 6:38:36 PM12/11/18
to Ruby on Rails: Core
They're discussing the idea of adding a presence scope with `Person.where.present(:name)`
If this method also checks for the presence of associated records like `Person.where.present(:parent)` then it would make sense to also have a method that does the opposite (like you're proposing).
Or perhaps it would simply make more sense to instead use `Person.where.not.present(:parent)`.

DHH

Dec 12, 2018, 4:57:52 PM12/12/18
to Ruby on Rails: Core
I even like Person.where.missing(:parent). The key distinguisher is to use modifiers on #where, just like we have with #not, rather than hang these off the root scope.

Tom Rossi

Dec 13, 2018, 1:46:37 PM12/13/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to give this a shot! I am thinking this will be added to the activerecord/lib/active_record/relation/query_methods.rb to the WhereChain class. The missing method will accept an individual or array of relationships. The resulting scope will have a left join on each relationship as well as a where clause for each table with the id set nil:

# New WhereChain method:
Post.where.missing(:author)

# Equivalent:
Post.left_joins(:author).where(authors: { id: nil })

# Resulting sQL
# SELECT "posts".* FROM "posts" LEFT OUTER JOIN "authors" ON "authors"."id" = "posts"."author_id" WHERE "authors"."id" IS NULL

Kasper Timm Hansen

Dec 13, 2018, 4:57:49 PM12/13/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Once you’re getting down to specific code choices, it’s better in a PR. So feel free to submit one 👍

You also don’t have to get everything right up front as long as you help guide reviewers. For instance, it's fine to submit a piecemeal PR, just describe what you intend to defer for your second/third pass (e.g. tests, documentation, CHANGELOG entry).
--
Kasper

Deepak Mahakale

Dec 13, 2018, 6:14:43 PM12/13/18
to Ruby on Rails: Core
This sounds interesting.

Filipe W. Lima

Apr 9, 2019, 4:32:31 PM4/9/19
to Ruby on Rails: Core

Tom Rossi

Apr 10, 2019, 9:33:23 AM4/10/19
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Any help with this (my first) PR is appreciated!

Tom Rossi

May 2, 2019, 3:26:31 PM5/2/19
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Rafael França and I got this working at RailsConf and have submitted a PR. Let me know if anyone has suggestions for improvement!