Just FYI: Rails 2.3.14 is not Ruby 1.9.2 compatible.

Andrew Selder

Dec 23, 2011, 2:20:47 PM12/23/11
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Just a quick heads up for everyone.

Rails 2.3.14 is not completely Ruby 1.9.2 compatible.

Specifically the vendored version of TMail in ActionMailer calls String#is_binary_data?. This method was removed from Ruby in 1.9.2.

I realize that this probably won't be fixed as Rails 2.x is EOL, but I'm just putting it out there in case other people run into the problem. Personally I'd advocate a fix, Rails 2.3 promised Ruby 1.9 compatibility and this breaks that promise.

A simple workaround is to copy the definition of the method forward and add it to the String class in an initializer.

Here is it for reference (copied from apidock.com)

def is_binary_data?
(self.count("^ -~", "^\r\n\").fdiv(self.size) > 0.3 || self.index("\x00")) unless empty?
end

Andrew

Jeremy Kemper

Dec 23, 2011, 2:50:11 PM12/23/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Worth fixing. Please give 1.9.3 a shot too. Even if we don't do a gem release, folks can target the `2-3-stable` branch.

Andrew

Andrew Selder

Dec 23, 2011, 3:05:55 PM12/23/11
to Ruby on Rails: Core
The method doesn't exist in 1.9.3 either, so that will blow up as
well.

On Dec 23, 11:50 am, Jeremy Kemper <jeremykem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Worth fixing. Please give 1.9.3 a shot too. Even if we don't do a gem
> release, folks can target the `2-3-stable` branch.

Aaron Patterson

Dec 23, 2011, 7:17:32 PM12/23/11
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:05:55PM -0800, Andrew Selder wrote:
> The method doesn't exist in 1.9.3 either, so that will blow up as
> well.
>
> On Dec 23, 11:50 am, Jeremy Kemper <jeremykem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Worth fixing. Please give 1.9.3 a shot too. Even if we don't do a gem
> > release, folks can target the `2-3-stable` branch.
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Andrew Selder <andrew.sel...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >

> > > Just a quick heads up for everyone.
> >
> > > Rails 2.3.14 is not completely Ruby 1.9.2 compatible.
> >
> > > Specifically the vendored version of TMail in ActionMailer calls
> > > String#is_binary_data?. This method was removed from Ruby in 1.9.2.
> >
> > > I realize that this probably won't be fixed as Rails 2.x is EOL, but I'm
> > > just putting it out there in case other people run into the problem.
> > > Personally I'd advocate a fix, Rails 2.3 promised Ruby 1.9 compatibility
> > > and this breaks that promise.
> >
> > > A simple workaround is to copy the definition of the method forward and
> > > add it to the String class in an initializer.
> >
> > > Here is it for reference (copied from apidock.com)
> >
> > > def is_binary_data?
> > >  (self.count("^ -~", "^\r\n\").fdiv(self.size) > 0.3 ||
> > > self.index("\x00")) unless empty?
> > > end
> >
> > > Andrew

Well, the method actually exists in both Ruby 1.9.2 and 1.9.3. Syck
freedom patched string to add the method:

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/ext/syck/lib/syck/rubytypes.rb#L151-153

If you load Psych before loading Syck, this method will not exist on
String because Syck will never be loaded. There are three ways to work
around this without changing Rails. First would be to require
'syck/rubytypes':

[aaron@higgins rails (master)]$ irb
irb(main):001:0> "foo".respond_to?(:is_binary_data?)
=> false
irb(main):002:0> require 'yaml'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> require 'syck/rubytypes'
=> true
irb(main):004:0> "foo".respond_to?(:is_binary_data?)
=> true
irb(main):005:0>

I don't recommend this solution because it can impact YAML dumping and
yourself:

class String
def is_binary_data?
encoding == Encoding::ASCII_8BIT
end
end

I recommend this solution.

The third solution is to downgrade Rubygems. It's likely rubygems is
the one loading in Psych before Syck. But it could also be bundler. It
could be many things, so I don't suggest this solution.

<3<3<3

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/