Git vs Mercurial?

Siddharth Patil

Feb 3, 2013, 11:07:07 PM2/3/13
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Which one do you prefer? What are the pros and cons of each, in your experience?

Go.

--
Siddharth Patil

Sam Agnew

Feb 3, 2013, 11:07:45 PM2/3/13
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Use Git

Eric Meadow

Feb 3, 2013, 11:10:59 PM2/3/13
to ru...@googlegroups.com

Git. Always git.

Josh Matthews

Feb 3, 2013, 11:26:43 PM2/3/13
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Short answer: I concur, use Git.

Long answer: they're pretty similar. I've heard Mercurial described as "Git lite", which seems pretty accurate. If you never use anything other than push pull and commit, then you probably won't notice a difference. However, if you ever want to use some of the more advanced features, Git allows you much more fine grained control over the repo and history. Even if you don't want to use the more advanced stuff, Git seems to be more widely used in the open source scene anyway.

Sameen Jalal

Feb 4, 2013, 12:56:54 AM2/4/13
to USACS

Siddharth Patil

Feb 4, 2013, 7:54:56 AM2/4/13
to ru...@googlegroups.com
I already googled it; I wanted answers from actual people lol (which I did get, thanks guys)

I'm trying to conceptualize a DVCS-based workflow for a non-code text-based project. Like a novel or textbook. Git is damn powerful, but Mercurial's simpler nature seems more attractive. I'm not sure I'd need all the features of Git, so I wouldn't want to commit (no pun intended) to using it.

Actually, in the beginning, I was a hardcore fan of Bazaar (although I didn't code much, so I never really got to use it.) It was what enlightened me about the world of distributed VCS.
Siddharth Patil

Siddharth Patil

Feb 4, 2013, 8:27:40 PM2/4/13
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm just gonna go with Git. It's got the flexibility I need. Thanks again guys. :-)
--
Siddharth Patil