March 2012 Meeting - New Location!

Justin Etheredge

Mar 23, 2012, 8:06:13 AM3/23/12
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone! Please respond to this e-mail so that I know you're coming (let me know if you're not going to eat pizza)!

The RSCG is coming back this month, our second meeting of the year will be next Thursday March 29th at Snagajob's new offices in Innsbrook. The meeting location is:

4851 Lake Brook Drive, Glen Allen, VA

I haven't been over there to see the layout, so I can't tell you guys where everything will be at just yet. We will try to put up signs and I'll hopefully get to send an e-mail out with more details later.

This month's meeting topic is going to be open, so please bring topics that you would like the group to discuss. Remember, this means news topics, technology topics, difficult problems you are trying to solve, things you want to show off, etc... Please bring something, the quality of the meetings depends on the group!

Hope to see you all there!

Harper Trow

Mar 23, 2012, 8:12:03 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

Harper

Mike Huffaker

Mar 23, 2012, 8:20:35 AM3/23/12
to Richmond Software Craftsmanship Group
Hello,
I will try to attend this meeting. The meeting starts at 6pm,
correct?

Mike

Justin Etheredge

Mar 23, 2012, 8:25:51 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Yes, meeting starts at 6, discussion starts around 6:30, and meeting usually ends around 8.

Brian Knight

Mar 23, 2012, 8:29:49 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

Mike Huffaker

Mar 23, 2012, 8:34:55 AM3/23/12
to Richmond Software Craftsmanship Group
Is anyone in the group interested in or using Arduino? I have an
Arduino board and I've done a couple simple projects with it.

I could bring it, if anyone else wants to see what Arduino is.

Mike

Steve Presley

Mar 23, 2012, 8:58:16 AM3/23/12
to Richmond Software Craftsmanship Group
I've also got some gadgeteer and netduino boards I can demo to contrast
with doing embedded development in c#
Mar 23, 2012, 9:13:45 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com

I'll be there

Mike Huffaker

Mar 23, 2012, 9:14:02 AM3/23/12
to Richmond Software Craftsmanship Group
I'll bring the Arduino board then. Programming Arduino is just like C
programming. I've been using my Mac to program it, but I should be
able to get it to work with a Windows XP laptop I have that I can
bring along.

I would be interested to learn more about Netduino and what is
different about it.

Thanks,
Mike

Justin Etheredge

Mar 23, 2012, 9:15:22 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Sounds awesome guys! Looking forward to it!

Kevin Hazzard

Mar 23, 2012, 9:15:40 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I have a town hall meeting to conduct that evening in my district. :( Y'all have fun. Hope to start up attending RSCG again next month.

Kevin

W. Kevin Hazzard
Consultant, Author, Teacher, Microsoft MVP

David Tatum

Mar 23, 2012, 9:40:37 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to attend. Arduino sounds like a good topic.

If anyone is interested, Node.js is the topic at next month's Java user group. There's no description up yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be a basic intro.  http://www.richmondjug.com/event/nodejs

Al Tenhundfeld

Mar 23, 2012, 10:36:21 AM3/23/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Justin Etheredge <jus...@etheredge.us> wrote:

Stuart Leitch

Mar 23, 2012, 10:43:02 AM3/23/12
to RS...@googlegroups.com, rs...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there also but won't require pizza
I'll be there.

David

Mar 25, 2012, 9:33:08 AM3/25/12
to Richmond Software Craftsmanship Group
I'll be there

A'braham Barakhyahu

Mar 27, 2012, 1:47:31 PM3/27/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Justin Etheredge <jus...@etheredge.us> wrote:

A'braham Barakhyahu
Client-Side & Server-Side Developer

Jonathan Pryor

Mar 27, 2012, 3:44:43 PM3/27/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there.

- Jon

Marcus McConnell

Mar 27, 2012, 7:01:19 PM3/27/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there too.

I'm working on a self describing restful API if anyone is interested in talking about service design.

Marcus McConnell

jkane001

Mar 28, 2012, 11:18:42 AM3/28/12
to RS...@googlegroups.com
New to the group (thanks for pointing me to it, A'Braham!), and I am hoping to attend the meeting on Thursday.

Look forward to meeting people!

Justin Etheredge

Mar 28, 2012, 12:33:05 PM3/28/12
to RS...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the group! Look forward to meeting you.

David West

Mar 28, 2012, 4:54:47 PM3/28/12
to Richmond Software Craftsmanship Group
I'm planning on attending.
Looking forward to seeing this Arduino / Netduino stuff, it looks like
a lot of fun to tinker with.

Steve Presley

Apr 6, 2012, 1:21:45 PM4/6/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, first thanks for the great discussion last Thursday night,
still bummed my laptop didn't want to project so I couldn't show you the
development experience for netduino and Gadgeteer.

I haven't had a chance to do a video blog post yet to show you what I
planned on showing, will try to get that up as soon as possible.

Some links that I wanted to share are:

.NET Micro Framework: http://netmf.com/
Netduino: http://netduino.com
Gadgeteer: http://netmf.com/gadgeteer/
TinyCLR (.NETFM public forums) : http://tinyclr.com
GHI Electronics (maker of the boards that I showed off):
http://ghielectronics.com/

Also, I forgot that I had contributed to a kickstarter project that is a
graphical programming interface for Arduino. You can find it at:

http://minibloq.com

Also, I just posted this thread to the RDNUG discussion group on LinkedIn,
if anyone is interested, please let me know:

"Last night's RDNUG Meeting - SignalR and Mobile/Embedded/MicroController
users group discussion

First, want to thank my good friend Kevin Griffin for his presentation on
SignalR last night. Saw it Damien Edwards' (Microsoft) session at the
MVP/ASPInsider Summit and even though Damien wrote the thing, I learned two
or three new things from Kevin's presentation.

Second, was chatting with a fellow last night (apologies, don't recall your
name!) about the possibility of a mobile users group and that sequeued into
a embedded/micro controller discussion. If there's enough interest, I would
be up for organizing one or both (or possibly have them together until we
get off of the group). We had a good talk last week at the Richmond Software
Craftmanship Group (RSCG) on arduino/netduino and Gadgeteer, so I think the
interest is there on the embedded side and just about every developer I talk
to either has worked on or has an idea to take an existing app and make it
more mobile friendly or has a project they've thought about to target a
mobile device.

If you're interested in either, please let me know via this thread or via an
email here or through my website (stevepresley dot net) as to what sort of
topics you would prefer, what night of the week works better (obviously
Thursdays are pretty saturated between RDNUG, SQL Users Group, RSCG and I
believe the Java users group is on some Thursdays as well."

Cheers,
Steve Presley

Apr 7, 2012, 8:47:40 AM4/7/12
to Richmond Software Craftsmanship Group
Hello,
Thank you Steve for your presentation. I am definitely planning to
play around with a Netduino board when I have a chance.

Thanks everyone for letting me present Arduino. I hope it was
interesting.

For anyone that was interested in trying Arduino projects, I found
another book and website that has some more practical projects:

http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects

Arduino probably is more of a hobby at this point in my case.

But I think playing around with hardware and learning more about
electronics can open up new areas of knowledge and lead to new ideas
down the road.

:)

Mike

Steve Presley

Apr 16, 2012, 10:45:14 AM4/16/12
to rs...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone, I setup a survey in regards to having a dedicated
mobile/embedded user group in RVA.. Please fill out the survey if you're
interested!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5PCS8XG