iOS navigation app with multiple & offline maps: which library to use?

Ingenium

Jul 17, 2012, 7:13:24 AM7/17/12
to route-...@googlegroups.com

i'm stuck with problem of what lib to choose for my nav app project.

At the moment there is: 1) route-me 2) Alpstein route-me 3) mapbox-ios-sdk

What is the difference between them all? What to choose as a foundation for navigation app?

Requirements for my app: 1) Multiple maps available 2) Multiple selected areas of different maps to work offline

Thank you a lot!

Jan Christiansen

Jul 17, 2012, 1:56:17 PM7/17/12
to route-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Jul 17, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Ingenium wrote:
> i'm stuck with problem of what lib to choose for my nav app project.
>
> At the moment there is: 1) route-me 2) Alpstein route-me 3) mapbox-ios-sdk
>
> What is the difference between them all? What to choose as a foundation for navigation app?

route-me is the name of the original implementation. Alpstein is the name of the company that is the main developer of a fork of the route-me library. I cannot provide a good comparison between these two as I have only used Alpstein so far. I mainly choose it because I liked the look and feel better. This thread https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/route-me-map/yOWrhNyFEcI also provides some differences between the original route-me and the Alpstein fork. As far as I know mapbox-ios-sdk is an sdk for developing map applications that is published by a company called development seed. I think that the sdk is based on one of the implementations mentioned above. If I am not mistaken one of the developers of this sdk is reading this mailing list and it might be a good time for a commercial break ; )

> Requirements for my app: 1) Multiple maps available 2) Multiple selected areas of different maps to work offline

I worry you have to elaborate on these points as I do not get what you are after.

Cheers, Jan

Justin R. Miller

Jul 17, 2012, 3:08:23 PM7/17/12
to route-...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:56:17 AM UTC-7, Jan Christiansen wrote:

 As far as I know mapbox-ios-sdk is an sdk for developing map applications that is published by a company called development seed. I think that the sdk is based on one of the implementations mentioned above. If I am not mistaken one of the developers of this sdk is reading this mailing list and it might be a good time for a commercial break ; )

You are correct :-) I work at Development Seed and am responsible for the MapBox iOS SDK.

You can get a sense of the general differences between "core" and Alpstein in their README:

Then, in our SDK's README, the differences between Alpstein and our SDK:

In particular, the most useful differences are the markers, the binary framework, and the MapBox-specific tech like MBTiles offline tiles, MapBox Hosting online tiles, and UTFGrid embedded interactivity (all linked to in the README). Also, a number of MapBox-created sample iOS apps are linked in our README, too, to try to explain these concepts more clearly.

We have a good relationship with Alpstein and contribute practically every generally-useful improvement in our library up to them, and then pull down their work as well, with slight modifications as per above. That's also the plan going forward.

--
Justin R. Miller
Development Seed / MapBox

davidcv

Jul 24, 2012, 5:53:06 AM7/24/12
to route-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does any of the three versions provide routing calculation capabilities? Or they can only be used to display maps?

El dimarts 17 de juliol de 2012 21:08:23 UTC+2, Justin R. Miller va escriure:

Randall Carver

Aug 27, 2012, 8:19:17 AM8/27/12
to route-...@googlegroups.com
All of these solutions are without routing.   Display only.