Partial debian repository for RPi

Paul Mathieu

Mar 18, 2013, 7:36:14 PM3/18/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have set up a debian repository for Raspbian with some ROS packages. I am still fighting with the build farm to provide with more of them.

Raspbian users can set up this repository easily with these few steps:

1. add the signing key:
wget http://64.91.227.57/repos/rospbian.key -O - | sudo apt-key add -

2. create /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rospbian.list with the following:

3. update apt sources
sudo apt-get update

4. install ros packages (a good choice would be ros-comm, it will install roscpp, rospy, roscore...)
sudo apt-get install ros-groovy-ros-comm

Hopefully this will give many of RPi users a good start to focus on more entertaining applications!

Cheers

Paul

Paul Mathieu

Mar 18, 2013, 7:39:13 PM3/18/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, before I forget, you might also need to add Mike's repository for ROS-related stuff that is not part of ROS:

(Thank you Mike!)

James Ronald

Mar 20, 2013, 10:06:02 PM3/20/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

I was planning to try it out the new packages this past weekend but
ended up sick in bed with the nasty flu instead. Anyone, else had a
chance to try it out ( the packages not the flu )?

- Jim

Paul Mathieu

Mar 20, 2013, 10:12:10 PM3/20/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Haven't heard of anybody trying it out yet. I tested a few things on my side, it installs and runs fine, but I am expecting the alignment issue in roscpp that has been patched since.
I am updating the software and spinning up the buildfarm to fix this issue, hopefully the repo will be updated with fresh packages before next week.

If you have any feedback from trying this out, don't hesitate to share it here!

Paul

Michael Gratton

Mar 21, 2013, 1:24:54 AM3/21/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com, James Ronald
On 21/03/13 13:06, James Ronald wrote:

> I was planning to try it out the new packages this past weekend but
> ended up sick in bed with the nasty flu instead. Anyone, else had a
> chance to try it out ( the packages not the flu )?

I successfully installed ROS on a Pi using both the WG and Raspbian
repos the other night and checked some custom nodes both compiled and
ran. Everything seemed fine but haven't tested them properly yet. Will
be doing that over the course of the next week.

--
Michael Gratton <mic...@quuxo.com>
Quuxo Software <http://quuxo.com/>

signature.asc

Marcus Liebhardt

Mar 21, 2013, 12:36:55 AM3/21/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
This looks very interesting. Would there be any problems using the raspbian debs for other debian based Linux installations on armhf?

Marcus

Paul Mathieu

Mar 21, 2013, 11:21:09 PM3/21/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
This is what I would like to try during the upcoming weeks.
The binaries themselves should run fine on other armhf boards, but the apt repository can probably not be used directly, because of system dependencies that can have different names.
That being said, these differences can be very small, and if somebody wants to try it on ubuntu armhf, then please give some feedback!

Paul

Tao

Apr 26, 2013, 4:24:49 PM4/26/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Thx for your post!
I followed setps on ROS: http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Raspbian which is almost the same as yours.
After finish all steps, when I tried 'roscd' , it turned out, command not found

  • pi@raspberrypi ~ $ roscd
  • -bash: roscd: command not found
could you provide more information, how to star using ros on RPI after installation, Cheers!

Tao

Paul Mathieu

Apr 26, 2013, 11:33:21 PM4/26/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tao,

Actually, the wiki post might be incomplete. Please see http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Ubuntu and follow the steps from 1.5.
I will update the Raspbian Install page with the rest of the instructions soon.

Thank you for your feedback!

Paul

Mike McFarlane

Jul 10, 2013, 9:14:23 AM7/10/13
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Good work Paul. I think this will be a lovely combination with the BrickPi http://www.dexterindustries.com/BrickPi/ a Lego Mindstorms RaspberryPi mashup. Going to be fun:-)

Mike

On Tuesday, 19 March 2013 03:36:14 UTC+4, Paul Mathieu wrote:
Hi,

I have set up a debian repository for Raspbian with some ROS packages. I am still fighting with the build farm to provide with more of them.

Bill Chiu

May 6, 2015, 11:44:54 AM5/6/15
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I noticed that hydro for RPi became available, and on my RPi2 it works quite well.  I've got even got openni2_launch to work with my Xtion - but hydro still missing the image compression transports - would you please make those available as well? :-)

Thanks!
Bill

Paul Mathieu

Jun 14, 2015, 4:04:26 PM6/14/15
to ros-sig-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

Since the RPi2 uses an ARMv7, it should be possible to install Ubuntu armhf on it.
I don't know if anybody built 12.04 for the RPi2, but 14.04 seems to be available: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi
There is an officially supported armhf build for indigo that might be of interest to you: http://wiki.ros.org/indigo/Installation/UbuntuARM

If you really need hydro, I'd recommend building the missing packages from source, that would be the most straightforward way for you to get them. I haven't touched the RPi hydro repo in a while, but I'd be glad to help should you encounter any problems.

Cheers,
Paul