Releases

Robert Skinner

Feb 19, 2018, 5:34:16 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Mark / Nick think that they are getting close to being able to start cranking out 2 stage releases.

Nick's release is coming along nicely. He is just trying to find time to mill the first proto. He has 3d printed a couple.

Rob
Does he have a ballpark on what they will cost?

Mark Dowsett
we haven't talked about it. If I were to bet, I'd say around $200cdn
Seen by Mark Dowsett at 5:30pm
Rob
That should be doable ...

--

Rob

Robert Skinner

Feb 19, 2018, 6:14:09 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
This manual is only a few pages long (with lots of pictures), and illustrates all of the ways that you can misroute a weak link in a barrel release.   Check it out.   Might save your skin ...

http://www.getoffrelease.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Get-Off-Instructions.pdf

Rob

Ron Wolff

Feb 19, 2018, 6:17:14 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Rochester has a strong Tool and Die history, I have friends of the family still working in the industry, let me know if I can make introductions.

Mark / Nick think that they are getting close to being able to start cranking out 2 stage releases.

Nick's release is coming along nicely. He is just trying to find time to mill the first proto He has 3d printed a couple.

Rob
Does he have a ballpark on what they will cost?

Mark Dowsett
we haven't talked about it. If I were to bet, I'd say around $200cdn
Seen by Mark Dowsett at 5:30pm
Rob
That should be doable ...

--

Rob

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/CANaMmCi6JHBakJYrKwpkm2XTTutWLRmcNAFQaaxFwno7sAyZ3Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Skinner

Feb 19, 2018, 6:22:16 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure Nick is a tool and die maker or something similar ...
We should get together and make some of these though...
Does anyone have a good source for D and Triangle rings ?

Inline image 1

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM, Ron Wolff <rwo...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
Rochester has a strong Tool and Die history, I have friends of the family still working in the industry, let me know if I can make introductions.

Ron Wolff

Feb 19, 2018, 9:28:12 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
This site has every thing in the picture. Just need a tool to crimp the eyeloops.

I'm up for it though. I found most of this in lowes however the crimp end is diffferent, too different ffrom standard hang glider fasteners that I would pass on them in lieu of a nico properly pressed. Bet Home depot has a press for rent? Then again its a sizing thing.

Ohh see the link below.

I get the D rings , they attach to the harness, the quick link attached to the weeklink, why two linkives? Are the linkives on bungie's? Anyway I found a site where we can get heat shrink tubing to cover the crimp ends,,,again its a size thing. I would really like to get together and brain storm the proper solution rather than leap out and get the wrong parts or parts that are not sized properly.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
image.png

Nick Jones

Feb 19, 2018, 9:47:22 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Make sure you use tin plated copper nicos on stainless cable and zinc plated on galvanized cable. Stay away from the aluminum ones, only good for wash lines. You likely know already but I just wanted to make sure.

Nick Jones

Thanks Nick, I didn't know that. Do you think 3/16" 7 strand SS cable is the right size?

Moritz Wagner

Feb 19, 2018, 10:07:46 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Ron and Rob,
I am ordering some cable, nicos, and thimbles for the new side wires. Let me know what you need and I will put it in the same order.
Cheers,
Moritz

Sent: Monday, February 19, 2018 5:34 PM
To: rochesterareaflyers@googlegroups.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/CANaMmCgBTMUO4oZkJGonrpXS01W%3DXvTbD_uf%2ByqFzn1jA75Yhw%40mail.gmail.com.

[...]

Robert Skinner

Feb 19, 2018, 10:54:14 PM2/19/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear ...

We won't be using this linkknife type of release for our first tows.
There are two proven releases that local pilots ( Rick, Marty, Moritz, Jim, Tim, Myself ) have intimate knowledge of.
Aerotow releases and Koch type releases.
We have to standardize on something that everyone knows in order to be safe.
I've had stern warnings from folks who have been doing this for years and know people who are dead or in wheel chairs from doing the wrong thing.
It's not worth jeopardizing safety to be inconvenienced, or to save a few hundred bucks.

If you don't have lower loops (just below your armpits), and you don't want to sew loops onto your harness,
you'll need an aerotow (AT) release, and a secondary barrel release, as well as a 3' and 6' bridle.
This will get you up a few hundred feet, which is plenty high enough to practice patterns and landings.
Lots of people have these and you can probably borrow one, but if you want your own, these are your choices:

  - GetOff Primary - http://www.getoffrelease.com/ - $100
  - Bridle - ( You need a 3' and a 6' ) -  Get a fid and make your own out of dynema or get these http://ozreport.com/goodies.php

If you have loops just below your armpits, you'll probably want to use a Koch release.
All you need for this setup is a set of tow loops under your armpits and some oval screwgate links to bolt the release to your harness loops.
Jim has two double Koch releases and I have a single, and you are welcome to use any of them.
Nick Jones is working on a batch of these releases, which will probably be available in a few months for ~$200.
In the meantime, Jim and I are happy to share.
Jim's releases will allow you to tow over as well as under the bar, which can put you as high as 2/3 the tow rope length.
Mine is just a single, but it's simple, easy to use, and just about foolproof.

While you are at it, get a hook knife or two.
BlueSky has some nice one's for $20.
I took my harness out at the First Aid class and realized that my hook knife was in my other harness, so I've got another one on the way.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:27 PM, Ron Wolff <rwo...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
This site has every thing in the picture. Just need a tool to crimp the eyeloops.

I'm up for it though. I found most of this in lowes however the crimp end is diffferent, too different ffrom standard hang glider fasteners that I would pass on them in lieu of a nico properly pressed. Bet Home depot has a press for rent? Then again its a sizing thing.

Ohh see the link below.

I get the D rings , they attach to the harness, the quick link attached to the weeklink, why two linkives? Are the linkives on bungie's? Anyway I found a site where we can get heat shrink tubing to cover the crimp ends,,,again its a size thing. I would really like to get together and brain storm the proper solution rather than leap out and get the wrong parts or parts that are not sized properly.

Nick Jones

Feb 20, 2018, 7:10:13 AM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
3/32 1X7 strand has a breaking strength of 900lb, 7X7 is more flexible and 900lb. That's a very common HG nose wire - you can recycle.

3/16 is way too thick and breaks at 3700lb.

Nick Jones

Norm Seelbinder

Robert Skinner

Feb 20, 2018, 12:00:11 PM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Nick,

Good to know ..
No one here has aircraft expertise.
What should we be looking for AFA number of strands in the stainless cable  ?

Thanks!

Rob

For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.

***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:

[...]

Nick Jones

Feb 20, 2018, 1:06:29 PM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
7x7 (7 bundles of 7 strands) is typically what's used on HG - flexible but rough so plastic coated. Some gliders use 1X19 (1 bundle of 19 strands) uncoated (U2 and T2) for less drag but less flexible.

Nick Jones

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers.

Robert Skinner

Feb 20, 2018, 1:25:39 PM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
My U2 had 1x19 uncoated, and they use 2 NiCo's at each end.
Is that typical or do you think someone made their own wires for it ?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Nick Jones <nickin...@gmail.com> wrote:
7x7 (7 bundles of 7 strands) is typically what's used on HG - flexible but rough so plastic coated. Some gliders use 1X19 (1 bundle of 19 strands) uncoated (U2 and T2) for less drag but less flexible.

Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Feb 20, 2018, 3:20:03 PM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
That's standard, I think the 1x19 is a little less grippy - so 2 Nico's.

Nick Jones

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers.

Robert Skinner

Feb 20, 2018, 3:21:31 PM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Aaah .   Do you know what the strength on that is?

On Feb 20, 2018 3:20 PM, "Nick Jones" <nickin...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's standard, I think the 1x19 is a little less grippy - so 2 Nico's.

Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Feb 20, 2018, 6:11:49 PM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Note the working load is a small fraction of the breaking strength. But this shows that the 1x19 is actually a little stronger but it's less flexible than the 7x7 - more prone to kinks.

Nick Jones

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers.

Robert Skinner

Feb 20, 2018, 8:04:33 PM2/20/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Those numbers look a LOT better ...
I thought the break strengths were down around 500 pounds.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Nick Jones <nickin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Note the working load is a small fraction of the breaking strength. But this shows that the 1x19 is actually a little stronger but it's less flexible than the 7x7 - more prone to kinks.

Nick Jones

Moritz Wagner

Robert Skinner

Feb 21, 2018, 9:13:16 AM2/21/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Moritz, I missed your comment about ordering cable, NiCo's, etc.
I just picked up a pair of crimping pliers at Home Depot yesterday.
The kind that look like bolt cutters.
They weren't expensive.
Shipping was a killer on the one's from Aircraft Spruce.
If you haven't ordered yet, and could grab another dozen NiCo's and eyelets, that would make 4 releases.
We should be able to use old wires since the forces will be < 100 pounds.
Folks can get their own triangles, ovals, and link knives, and have a working dual stage release for $50.
Once Nick's Koch releases become available we could transition to those.

Can someone who knows what they are talking about comment on the virtues of using 2 NiCo's instead of 1 on flying wires .
Maybe it's my rock climbing thinking kicking in, but aren't 2 pieces generally better than 1 ?
Maybe some degradation in cable strength from 2 crimps, but isn't that better than 1 bad crimp failing ?

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers.

Rob

Robert Skinner

Feb 21, 2018, 10:05:52 AM2/21/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
I think this says it all ...

Inline image 1

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Marty Hughes <hughe...@aol.com> wrote:
Moritz sent this. The link addresses two Nicks. If thinking old wire sections could be used, the old gliders in my yard have plenty.

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers.

Rob

Moritz Wagner

Feb 21, 2018, 1:40:23 PM2/21/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
I have enough hardware on order to make up your releases as well.
Cheers,
Moritz

--

Rob

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers.

Thomas, Christopher

Robert Skinner

Ron Wolff

Feb 21, 2018, 6:57:42 PM2/21/18
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
ok Igues that said it... double mine all the way!!!