Long Weekend Open Day @ RoboDojo

Adrian Apps

Jun 4, 2012, 7:23:59 PM6/4/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
As next week is a long weekend we're hosting an open day on the Monday at RoboDojo. Come along any time from 12pm and check out what we're doing.

We're planning activities for people to do and there will be some take away presents made on either the CNC or 3D printer on the day that you'll receive for coming along!

The current space is at Zone 3 Campbelltown which is next to the Hungry Jacks in Woodbine. If you need directions check out this link http://goo.gl/maps/oTn0

You're welcome to bring as many friends as you like, just let us know how many you'll be bringing so we can prepare!

Facebook event is here for those interested. http://www.facebook.com/events/240942566016542

Hope to see you there!

terryc

Jun 5, 2012, 11:46:47 PM6/5/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:23:59 AM UTC+10, Adrian Apps wrote:

We're planning activities for people to do

Any ideas  on types of activities needed?

Adrian Apps

Jun 6, 2012, 12:02:02 AM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
Happy to take extra suggestions, but so far I was thinking that we have the CNC and I'll bring my Up! 3D Printer along so we'll be able to do a few things with those. Would be good if we can get our hands on some electronics kits or something that people can solder together. Anyone got some they can donate?

David Lyon

Jun 6, 2012, 12:15:25 AM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
I have lots of parts from shopping trips to Japan
for soldering up.

They include chips like:

 - A/D Convertors
 - D/A Convertors
 - Lasers
 - InfraRed Transmitters and receivers
 - Voltage Step-Up/Down boards
 - USB-Serial convertors
 - RGB LEDs + control chips
 - I2C convertors
 - Serial eeprom
 - etc etc

My hope was to get them done into Open-Source adaptor
boards that could be used with Arduino/Rasberry/BeagleBone.

I'd just like to pool the schematics and publish them on
a website as open-source.

David Lyon

Jun 6, 2012, 8:39:35 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
does that suit your needs ? or were you after something else ?

Andrew

Jun 6, 2012, 8:55:33 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, David, did I miss a previous message?  Haven't figured out the question...

David Lyon

Jun 6, 2012, 9:04:31 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
You wrote:

> Would be good if we can get our hands on some electronics
> kits or something that people can solder together. Anyone got
> some they can donate?

I said I have parts to donate. Do the parts that I offered fit in
with your requirements ?

Andrew

Jun 6, 2012, 9:22:17 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com

AH, Adrian wrote...

If you drop in whatever bits you can spare, I'll see if there is something interesting we can make from them as "kits".

Andrew

Jun 6, 2012, 9:38:14 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
There's an implication there that people donating can't stay
for the Open Day.

What is the definition for 'interesting' ?

Andrew

Jun 6, 2012, 9:42:15 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com

"Interesting" is anything that is reasonably cool that a novice can put together with minimum skill and time.

Sorry, no implication intended.  What was intended was a suggestion that bits be dropped in *before* the event (e.g. tomorrow) so we can tinker together an interesting (see above) kit.  But even on the day would be fine.

I have four different events/activities on this weekend so am being spread a little thin.

Andrew

Jun 6, 2012, 10:05:15 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com

I have maybe 10-25 18650 Lithium-Ion batteries
that I could donate. Same thing could be done
'safer' with AA's. But a big pack from ALDI but
it's not the same thrill.

They are 3.7 - 4.1v and can be used to make
different 'interesting' things. For example you
can add an rgb led or an AVR processor.

I have about 200 red LEDs with no project so
combined with batteries a red flashlight could
be made.

The most interesting thing is that you get a
theme going, be it computers, electronics
or even solar power. Then work towards having
a collection of stuff in that category.

The 3D printer and CNC is a good step. The
question is then what kind of things do you
actually want to make with those things ?

Adrian Apps

Jun 6, 2012, 11:05:02 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
I've got a 3d printed motorbike keychain light that I just put together as a test that works pretty well. Needs  a CR2032 battery, a 5mm LED (white would be best) and a little heatshrink or insulated tubing to put it together and get it working.

Also looking at other 3d printable "trinkets" as giveaways. Just having a look at some of the options that are small enough to print up quickly on the day. If anyone has some paints that will work on ABS plastic (or some various coloured nailpolish) then they can paint them also.

On the CNC we already have a "Tower of Hanoi" game that we've run that turned out quite nicely. I'm sure there are some other things that could be made also.

Andrew, is there a site where we can look at some compatible code to run on the CNC?

terryc

Jun 6, 2012, 11:40:47 PM6/6/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:05:02 PM UTC+10, Adrian Apps wrote:
On the CNC we already have a "Tower of Hanoi" game that we've run that turned out quite nicely. I'm sure there are some other things that could be made also.

Is this cut out of stuff, or the CNC plays ToH?

Andrew, is there a site where we can look at some compatible code to run on the CNC?

Will the CNC cut circuit boards?

I have some circuit board off cut strips about match and cig pack width that could be utilised if we can cut "the circuit", whatever tat may be.

Also, where has the open day been advertised?

Andrew

Jun 7, 2012, 12:26:00 AM6/7/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com

The CNC cuts out a "Tower of Hanoi" puzzle set.

All the pieces are there to cut PCB, but have yet to do a full end-to-end test run.  Probably have a crack at this on Monday.

I just need to pick up some 10mm or 16mm (preferred) MDF for sacrificial material.  My stock at home has been water damaged.

Jun 7, 2012, 12:48:11 AM6/7/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
3d printed parts are readily 'paintable'.

I have bought some prep product that you can paint
onto 'anything' (solid) to allow it to be painted.

Recently I have been recasting parts off the 3d printer
into epoxy. Works fine.

David Lyon

Jun 7, 2012, 10:22:27 PM6/7/12
to robo...@googlegroups.com
The name of the product is 'ESP' 'with Penetrol'. Comes
in a tin for about $20.

I bought it at the specialty paint shop on the Hume
Highway near Liverpool just up from the Accor Hotel.

Imperfections can be filled on the 3d print with blade
putty.