Windows and Mac only?

Richard Mirisola

Jun 12, 2011, 10:57:01 PM6/12/11
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to install your newest version on a Linux machine running
apache2. I have had your previous version running for a while now but I
was looking forward to the new features you've added.

I managed to get it configured but when I try to index the movies I get
no results. All my xml files are writable and the alias is entered into
my apache config.

Upon further investigation I noticed your VideoMetaData.class.php making
a passthru call to aprogram called mediainfo. This seems to be an
executable that you provide for windows and Macs but alas not Linux.

That makes me sad.:-<

Is this correct? Will you be making a Linux version or will one be made
available?

If you need one written could you let me know the expected output? I
would love to contribute a Linux version to your project.

Regards,
Rich Mirisola

Yan Seiner

Jun 12, 2011, 11:17:48 PM6/12/11
to Richard Mirisola, ro-co...@googlegroups.com
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

It does work under linux. However, if you're a linux programmer, I
could really, really use some help getting it to compile under OpenWRT
http://www.openwrt.org . I am working on a Roku backend running on a
tiny embedded ARM platform like a Buffalo WiFi Access Point.

I suggested the mediainfo link rather than ffmpeg as it can be built
smaller - but I've run into a brick wall cross-compiling it. I've not
had much time to work on it, though.

richm

Jun 12, 2011, 11:54:25 PM6/12/11
to roConnect
Thanks,

Of course about 10 minutes after I made the post I spent the 30 secs
doing a search and found it.

Dopey me.

I also discovered that I had to modify getMediaInfo function in
Constants.php to have a return value for Linux systems as follows:

function getMediaInfo() {
if (strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3)) === 'LIN') {
return '/usr/bin/mediainfo';
}
//Mac Machine
if (strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3)) === 'DAR') {
return dirname(__FILE__).'/mediainfo';
}
//Windows Machine
if (strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3)) === 'WIN') {
return dirname(__FILE__).'\MediaInfo.exe';
}
}

I use DD-WRT on my router. I have a fair bit of embedded Linux
experience so I'll give cross compiling a try as soon as I can set it
up.

Rich M.

On Jun 12, 11:17 pm, Yan Seiner <y...@seiner.com> wrote:
> Richard Mirisola wrote:
> > I am trying to install your newest version on a Linux machine running
> > apache2. I have had your previous version running for a while now but
> > I was looking forward to the new features you've added.
>
> > I managed to get it configured but when I try to index the movies I
> > get no results. All my xml files are writable and the alias is entered
> > into my apache config.
>
> > Upon further investigation I noticed your VideoMetaData.class.php
> > making a passthru call to aprogram called mediainfo. This seems to be
> > an executable that you provide for windows and Macs but alas not Linux.
>
> > That makes me sad.:-<
>
> > Is this correct? Will you be making a Linux version or will one be
> > made available?
>
> > If you need one written could you let me know the expected output? I
> > would love to contribute a Linux version to your project.
>
> > Regards,
> > Rich Mirisola
>
> http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
>
> It does work under linux.  However, if you're a linux programmer, I
> could really, really use some help getting it to compile under OpenWRThttp://www.openwrt.org.  I am working on a Roku backend running on a

Saul Howard

Jun 13, 2011, 12:10:57 AM6/13/11
to Richard Mirisola, ro-co...@googlegroups.com
Yeah sorry I didn't get the Linux compatibility in there from the get go. I'll use your code and embed that in so that Linux users can take advantage of it. If you can send me the updated classes you've made changes to and a link to the linux version of MediaInfo I'll update the download for future users.

-Saul

roConnect

Jun 15, 2011, 12:19:37 PM6/15/11
to richm, roConnect
Rich,

I added your Linux additions to the latest download. If you wouldn't mind posting your setup process for linux I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Saul

Christopher "Siege" Jackson

Jun 21, 2011, 1:34:48 PM6/21/11
to roConnect
roConnect Linux Setup MiniHowTo

While these instructions presumes an Ubuntu distribution, they should
be compatible with other *nix distributions. Note: apt-get package
installs will have to be changed to fit your distributions package
manager.

1. Go to http://www.roConnect.com
2. Click the "Download" button at the top right side of the page.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Next Step" link.
4. Click the "Download" button under the "roConnect Web App" section

You can skip steps 1-4 by downloading the web application directly at
http://www.ro-connect.com/roConnect.zip. However, should the location
change or the download fail for any other reason you should complete
steps 1-4 above.

5. Install Apache, PHP (w/ Curl support) via your package manager.
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 php5-curl

6. Install MediaInfo from http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shiki/mediainfo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mediainfo

7. Start Apache and verify that it functions properly. A default
install should return "It Works!" in a browser pointed at http://localhost
.

8. Unpack the roConnect web application you downloaded earlier.
Inside the resulting directory locate the 'roku' folder and move it to
the DocumentRoot of your Apache server, typically /var/www, and change
the ownership to match the user and group of your Apache server.
unzip roConnect.zip

cd roConnect
sudo mv roku /var/www/
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/roku

9. Update your Apache configuration to include movies.conf from
DocumentRoot/roku. If you are using Ubuntu:

sudo -e /etc/apache2/apache.conf

Add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Include '/var/www/roku/movies.conf'

(Note: You may want to add a comment above the line explaining the
usage for future review.)

Save the file and exit the editor.

10. Stop then Start the Apache server.

sudo apachectl stop
sudo apachectl start

11. In a browser go to http://localhost/roku , you should be taken to
the roConnect web application.

12. On the "Roku" tab, confirm that you see all of the Roku players on
your network. If you do not, confirm that a firewall rule/
configuration is not interfering with communications.

13. On the "Media" tab, press the "Configuration" button and configure
roConnect. I use the following setup:

Auto-IMDb Query: On
Path to Movie Folder: (Whatever the full path to your content folder
is.
Search Sub-Folders: On
Server IP: (Whatever the non-loopback IPV4 address of your server is.
IPV6 addresses do not appear to be supported at this time.)

Click "Save" after making any changes.

14. Add the roConnect channel to your account via http://owner.roku.com/add/roconnectBeta.

15. Visit the Channel Store and then the Home screen on each Roku
Player to update them.

16. Visit the roConnect channel on your Roku player and complete the
setup. Your "Server IP" from Step 13 will be needed and the port is
80; for example 10.13.37.10:80.

Hope this helps some of you.

Christopher "Siege" Jackson

Jun 21, 2011, 1:39:26 PM6/21/11
to roConnect
Correction: the url in Step 1 should read -

1. Go to http://www.ro-connect.com

roConnect is a Romanian Telecomm company; sorry for the confusion.

NoraaC

Jun 25, 2011, 1:15:13 AM6/25/11
to roConnect
Thanks for the step by step.

I had the beta running OK on my Ubuntu 10.04 64 machine.
However after setting up 1.2 as I had done with the beta when
attempting to go to http://localhost/roku I got the message "Could not
add alias to server configuration file, please see user guide to do
this manually, sorry." in my browser.

This sounded like a permissions issue (which is where I had the most
problems setting up the beta) - So in looking through the php code I
saw that one thing that triggered this error message was the failure
to open /etc/apache2/apache2.conf . Also in setup.php there is code
to exec("chmod 777 $serverConf" where $serverConf = "/etc/apache2/
apache2.conf"
In checking permissions for apache2.conf they didn't match so I
sudo chmod 777 /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
and that did the trick - I was able to configure, index and connect to
the Roku box.

I'm not sure how safe this is from a security standpoint but that's
not much of a consideration on this particular machine.

I was looking forward to being able to turn off Imdb search as my high
latency satellite Internet connection slowed down the indexing.

Now the indexing is accomplished much faster.

However before they were indexed in order of file date which worked
well for me since I have mostly video podcasts in my movie folder so
usually the latest file dates are the ones I am most interested in.
Now I can't figure out what determines the sort order. It's not file
date or file size or file name so what is it ?? It looks random but
that doesn't seem likely.

Also before only video files showed up in the index - now all the .mp3
files are also indexed which makes it more of a chore finding the
video I want to see on the TV.

Obviously I can easily fix that by keeping my audio files in a
different folder. Still I would like to be able to control the index
order somehow. (They are in date order in my movie folder)
It would seem logical that the files would index in the same order
that the folder is in.

Just to be clear I am VERY happy to have this application. I haven't
seen anything else that will enable me to stream my videos through the
Roku Box and 99 cents for the app is a bargain.
I WILL be donating to the cause.

roConnect

Jun 26, 2011, 12:01:24 PM6/26/11
to NoraaC, roConnect
Currently the way the videos are indexed are the order in which they were added to the folder. As you've seen roConnect now indexes everything it can so as not to limit the file types it can play, seeing as the browser player supports more video formats that the Roku player. In the next version I'm looking to put out more organization capabilities so you can define the playlist order and add multiple playlists. I appreciate your patience as I develop the app.

Thanks,

Saul

NoraaC

Jun 26, 2011, 5:49:01 PM6/26/11
to roConnect
I figured it out when I added some new files to the folder. Most of
the videos are added at night by my download manager so just by
coincidence the file dates match the order that they are added.

I Mistakenly assumed that the reason the videos showed up on the Roku
in file date order was because they were sorted that way by roConnect.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated here. I especially appreciate
your consideration of us Linux users.

Thanks Again,

Aaron
Message has been deleted

Don Olive, Jr

Aug 7, 2011, 3:35:24 PM8/7/11
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com

Don Olive, Jr

Aug 7, 2011, 5:16:18 PM8/7/11
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone else seen this problem as described:

Looks like on my linux box, the roConnect server is looking for files in /var/www/movies no matter what location is specified in the configuration.

I posted a workaround in that other thread.

Don

Andrew Fischbach

Aug 8, 2011, 7:59:13 PM8/8/11
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com
I now understand what you were talking about in your answer to my question.  I'll copy a test video into this directory to see what happens.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad, secured with Junos Pulse.  Making the iPad a business tool.

Junos Pulse - Everywhere

CptDondo

Sep 25, 2011, 11:53:22 PM9/25/11
to roConnect
Is there a chance of a minimalist tarball for linux? I am trying to
build an embedded server. I have mediainfo, apache/lighttpd, php, and
mysql; I need the smallest set of scripts that will work. The latest
zip file has a lot of cruft; it appears to include a lot of non-linux
stuff.

Thanks!

Mark

Jun 17, 2012, 6:50:02 PM6/17/12
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com
If your looking for a more updated version of the code for the roConnect server in PHP. Head on over to my project, we have been maintaining it and fixed numerous issues.  I also run it primarily on a Ubuntu Linux box with no problems.   http://code.google.com/p/rokuserver/

Jason Mitchell

Oct 14, 2012, 10:50:21 PM10/14/12
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for your config example.  There is one error in it that I think none of us complained about because we all happen to have php installed.

For dependencies, the package apache2-mod-php5 should be added.

Thomas Moore

Jun 25, 2013, 6:50:14 PM6/25/13
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com, thechri...@chainedtotheweb.com
Mr. Jackson,

I love to tutorial; I myself am just getting into learning various versions of linux as part of my computer education, and think that your directions were pretty cool, but I have one major problem: from step 12 and on I either don't really know what the data is suggesting, or I simply don't understand the step at all.  Is there any type of version of all of this that has been dumbed-down for the novice at this kind of operation?  If so, I'd appreciate all the help I can get.  I've set up a basic Ubuntu workstation with a large network share so that music and such could be shared across my network, and after finding out that I could do the same through my Roku, jumped at the chance to learn.  However, as I said, I'm more or less clueless; I don't even know where to look in the various books I've picked up.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Michael Herlihy

Jul 20, 2013, 5:15:24 AM7/20/13
to ro-co...@googlegroups.com
Great tutorial Chris, and thanks for your work Saul. This setup meant that the server fired first time for me on Raring Ringtail. Now I would really like to know how to push media to the roku from a PC, so I can stream spotify from the PC and free up my iphone which is being used as a receiver for my icecast server.