Feeds disappearing from main feeds table (was Re: Garbage Collection redux)

Dave Winer

Feb 29, 2012, 6:13:14 PM2/29/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
I have a workaround implemented that should bring back most of the missing feeds if not all of them.

http://worknotes.scripting.com/february2012/22912ByDw/river2FeedsDisappearing/

I changed the subject on this thread, because we don't know what's causing the feeds to disappear. It may or may not be the garbage collection code. I have a feeling it's not that.

Dave

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Adam Curry <foob...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, good. This is a river2 server only, so nothing else runs on it and
indeed, everything is in config.root

Leaving it untouched in that regard.

AC

On Feb 29, 3:17 pm, Dave Winer <dave.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, it puts the data in config.root unless you do the things you have to do
> (I forget exactly how that works) to make it use river2data.root.
>
> It really doesn't make much difference unless you're using a lot of other
> apps that store stuff in config.root.
>
> And I'm sure that has nothing to do with the problem with feeds getting
> trashed.
>
> Dave
>

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Adam Curry <foobar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We can still be daydream believers!
>
> > Interstingly, this install, which I've had for quite some time, does
> > not have a river2data.root!
>
> > Should I just reinstall to get the root?
>
> > AC
>
> > On Feb 29, 3:08 pm, Dave Winer <dave.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Actually in my nightmares it's Marty Feldman in the toilet. In his role
> > of
> > > Eye-gor in Young Frankenstein.
>
> > > Something else horrible -- Davy Jones died. I thought for sure he would
> > > outlive me. (Well I never actually thought about it.)
>
> > > First thing I'm doing is doing a save-copy of my river2data.root which
> > had
> > > grown to 1.5GB. I keep forgetting to do that. Lucky I spotted it.
>
> > > I'm going to find out what's happening. It's happening here too, btw.
>
> > > Dave

> > horrifying,

> >http://groups.google.com/group/river2-users/browse_thread/thread/64e4.

> > that
> > that

> > seeing

> > the

> > came
> > else

Adam Curry

Feb 29, 2012, 6:28:45 PM2/29/12
to river2
Self-healing rivers... us Texas folk like that kinda water
management :-)

The fix was applied before I could count feeds on the server, but the
log shows some re-subbing around the time the update came in:

http://blog.curry.com/images/2012/02/29/addedFeeds.jpg

Keeping an eye on the logs and the trash table...

AC

On Feb 29, 5:13 pm, Dave Winer <dave.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a workaround implemented that should bring back most of the missing
> feeds if not all of them.
>
> http://worknotes.scripting.com/february2012/22912ByDw/river2FeedsDisa...

Dave Winer

Feb 29, 2012, 7:39:06 PM2/29/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
How's it working?

Adam Curry

Feb 29, 2012, 7:57:03 PM2/29/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
So far so good. Nothing trashed that I can detect and still seeing the same amount of feeds.

AC

Dave Winer

Mar 1, 2012, 2:35:50 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
This morning, everything was still running smooth, I still had 811 feeds in the rotation, nothing had been garbage-collected because I had that turned off.

Then I turned it on, and watched for the next few hours, and so far everything is running fine. I had to increase the time between scans from 10 minutes to 15 minutes because with the extra feeds I'm pushing the limit.

Net-net -- everything looks good over here.

Dave

Adam Curry

Mar 1, 2012, 5:04:25 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Here's what I'm seeing:

Some feeds are showing up in the trash table.
The last error in the stats table for these feeds is : Can't process the file because iat doesn't appear to be a feed.

Then apparently the feed *does* appear to be a valid feed and I get resubscribed, resulting in the entire feed showing up in my river. In some cases this is a lot of items.

So the fix works, but may need some additional work if it keeps re-subscribing to feeds and showing the whole feed each time in the river.

I think I need a few more days of observing the patient.

AC

Dave Winer

Mar 1, 2012, 5:07:03 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
When it does that, includes all the items as new, could you post a link to the river.

Also what feed or feeds is it doing this with?

I need data if we're going to figure this out.

Adam Curry

Mar 1, 2012, 5:10:39 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
http://adamfriends.com/

Search for

willowgene

That is a twitter feed for user 13732042 as you can see in this screenshot from my trash table:

http://blog.curry.com/images/2012/03/01/trashedFeeds.jpg

AC

Dave Winer

Mar 1, 2012, 5:16:23 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
So how is this feed getting into the trash?

You seem to have a theory about that -- what is the theory?

Dave

Adam Curry

Mar 1, 2012, 5:22:10 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Only thing I can think of is that the feed(s) are producing an error to often and then are queued as 'no good.

I exported my trash table which may help?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5538262/tmp/river2.trash.fttb.zip

AC

Dave Winer

Mar 1, 2012, 5:30:20 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Hold on. Pretty sure I found the problem.

Dave Winer

Mar 1, 2012, 5:34:45 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
I just released a utility script.

Update river2.root and run the script. It's at river2suite.utilities.listFeedsWithErrors.

I bet there are a bunch of them. Take a screen shot and let me know.

Dave

Adam Curry

Mar 1, 2012, 5:40:46 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
List was to big to take a screenshot of!

OPML of the output: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5538262/tmp/errantFeeds.opml

Dave Winer

Mar 1, 2012, 5:43:02 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
You were about to lose a bunch of those feeds.

Dave Winer

Mar 1, 2012, 5:48:23 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com

Adam Curry

Mar 1, 2012, 5:52:59 PM3/1/12
to river2...@googlegroups.com
Coolio.

Just ran the utility script and the list is now down to 5. I presume these will zero out next top of the minute

I do believe some of these are indeed broken feeds, checking on that now.

AC