Sereni's Training Log

Nick Sereni

Mar 2, 2009, 12:54:30 PM3/2/09
to RIT Weightlifting
WEIGHT:186
BENCH:200
DEADLIFT:310
SQUAT:225

I began the training template that Chris made for me today at Run Of
The Mill Fitness center in Franklin, New Hampshire. Franklin, where
shoes are optional and so are teeth. Anyways, today was Max Lower
day.

Deadlift-for 3-5RM
135X5
185X5
225X5
295X4
I was only going for three but I felt good, not good enough for five
though. Not sure what I'll do next week, either go for five or add a
few.

Low Box Squat(Paused)
155X5
155X5
155X5
155X5
These felt awesome.

Good Mornings
90X10
90X10
90X10
90X10
Last set was tiring, but definitely doable.

Leg Press(On the most ghetto contraption ever, my life was endangered)
6 PlatesX10
6 PlatesX10
6 PlatesX10
6 PlatesX10
These are quick sets, with little rest in between, as advised by
Chris. Definitely felt good.

Abs(Captain's chair knee raises)
X30
X20
X19
X13
I could definitely do more, I was just plain tired, a little ashamed
actually.

That's it for Max Lower day. I felt really good on all my lifts. I'm
feeling very good about this plan. I'll have Max Upper tomorrow.

-SERENI

James

Mar 2, 2009, 2:47:14 PM3/2/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Looks good, keep at it. The only thing i don't like so much is the
knee raises, I think that they are overrated, rather, I think that 99%
of people do them wrong and thus don't maximize their training time.
Try cable pull down abs (easier to do at RIT where we have more
equipment, not sure what you got in the deep south of the far north)

Jeffrey Salvagin (RIT Student)

Mar 2, 2009, 2:52:51 PM3/2/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Hey Nick looks good! just make sure you're taking in a good amount of
calories and i think you'll make some impressive gains.

Dan Higgins

Mar 2, 2009, 3:11:13 PM3/2/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Nick,

Im glad to see another rookie posting on here.

Nice work on the deadlift. That 310 pull will be 365 in 2 months or
so, keep at it!

On Mar 2, 2:52 pm, "Jeffrey Salvagin (RIT Student)" <jjs6...@rit.edu>

Lelli

Mar 2, 2009, 3:45:28 PM3/2/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Not bad man, keep training hard!

The leg press is sh*tty in my opinion. I've seen a handful of people
hurt themselves on this (myself included) because of the awkward angle
it puts your hips/back at. And I agree with james about the ab
selection, you can do a lot better then those things. Try some dragon
flags, planks, or maybe get a sharpie and draw in hawt abZ.

Bob Stevens

Mar 2, 2009, 3:52:36 PM3/2/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
Just do what you're doing for a while before changing anything.

Keep this updated, it will be good to follow your progress.

Steve....@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2009, 5:18:29 PM3/2/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I agree with Bob.

On Mar 2, 2:52 pm, Bob Stevens <esco67...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just do what you're doing for a while before changing anything.
>
> Keep this updated, it will be good to follow your progress.

Nick Sereni

Mar 3, 2009, 11:01:29 PM3/3/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Today I did my max upper in the gym at University of Vermont, which
has two benches and thirty treadmills. Anyways, here's how it went
down.

BENCH
95X5
135X5
145X5
185X3
I would have like to do more, either go for five or add more weight,
but I had no spotter.

PULLDOWNS
130X8
130X8
130X8
130X8
130X8

OVERHEAD PRESS
85X8
85X8
85X7
85X5
85X4
I think 85 was a bit much, anyways, the loading directions for this
are to increase the reps by 1-2 each week. What should I try next
week? A lower weight and increase the reps like I had done that
weight this week?

LOW ROW
130X8
130X8
130X8
130X8
130X8

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
120X8
120X8
120X8
120X8
120X8

PREACHER CURLS
70X8
70X8
70X8
70X8
70X8

With the exception of the overhead press, today went very well. I'm
visiting my girlfriend so that's why I'm at UVM, at least I can still
lift. Anyways, thanks for all the encouragement from yesterday and
please keep at it.

-SERENI

Dan Higgins

Mar 4, 2009, 12:08:49 AM3/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Not to be a dick, but you can simplify your log. For example, instead
of writing 130x8 5 times, you can just write "130x8x5."

Good work though. I know how shitty it is working out in a bad gym,
especially when youre at home. I think the SLC is the only decent
part of RIT, minus the fact that its full of mostly dudes...

Lelli

Mar 4, 2009, 6:22:29 AM3/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
You got a problem with dudes?

Good work getting some sh*t done while away, that's something tons of
people forget about or they use the rationalization that "it's break
week, therefore i won't do anything".

As far as your OHP numbers go; add more reps if you want better
muscular endurance, add more weight if you want more strength. Or add
both to be superman (aka Tiny Tim)

Bob Stevens

Mar 4, 2009, 7:57:48 AM3/4/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
You should probably go for completing your reps on the overhead. If you're supposed to do a 5x8 and couldn't get 8 for 3 of the sets, then you went to heavy.

If there were hot bitties at the gym no one would get stronger, case in point: Planet Fitness.

Mister Pfister

Mar 4, 2009, 8:43:20 AM3/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I would stick with same weight for OH and just try to get more reps
next time. You almost got 3 sets of 8, so while it might have been a
little heavy for 5x8 it seems about right for loading parameters you
plan on using for this movement.

On Mar 4, 7:57 am, Bob Stevens <esco67...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You should probably go for completing your reps on the overhead. If you're
> supposed to do a 5x8 and couldn't get 8 for 3 of the sets, then you went to
> heavy.
>
> If there were hot bitties at the gym no one would get stronger, case in
> point: Planet Fitness.

Steve....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2009, 10:02:37 AM3/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I'd stick with the same weight. If you're lucky Chris will give his
input, since he wrote it, but I know he used a progression for a long
time where his goal would something like 5 sets of 8 and he would
increase the number of reps on each of the subsequent sets. In other
words, just try to get more reps on your last 3 sets.

chris

Mar 4, 2009, 11:35:05 AM3/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
> I think 85 was a bit much, anyways, the loading directions for this
> are to increase the reps by 1-2 each week.  What should I try next
> week?  A lower weight and increase the reps like I had done that
> weight this week?

if the first couple of sets with 85 were very difficult, drop the
weight down to 75, and do sets of 9 next week (just pretend you
started with 75). the intensity was too high and you should drop in
weight for this cycle.

if the first couple of sets with 85 were easy or only moderately
difficult, increase the repetitions to 9 next week. because the first
few sets were relatively easy, it would suggest that your work
capacity and strength endurance are what kept you from meeting your
rep goal; these components can be increased rather quickly and will
respond well to the type of overload i have prescribed for you.

Nick Sereni

Mar 4, 2009, 10:10:49 PM3/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Another day in the UVM gym. I would have liked to wait another day;
use Wednesday as my break, but I'm going to be busy Friday through
Sunday. Anyways, today was ASSISTANCE LOWER.

SQUAT
150X8X5
These felt great

LUNGE
90X8X5
Felt a little goofy for a a few. I did these using a bar like I was
squatting opposed to dumbbells. I got used to it after a little
while, I need to focus on getting low and in control.

HACK SQUAT
115X10
120X10
125X10
135X10
Whoever invented these is a jerk. However, despite their
obnoxiousness, I could definitely feel it.

RDL
155X8X5
All went well here.

AB STRAP TRUNK CURLS
70X15X5
I've never been very good at ab workouts, never had a six-pack in my
life. These felt good though.

Bob, hopefully you read this, I won't be at training Saturday. I'm
not getting back until Sunday. I'll be there next week though so feel
free to yell at me extra loud. You can even mention the Eagles losing
Dawkins.

Everyone else, thanks for reading and thanks for the help!

Dan Higgins

Mar 4, 2009, 10:21:04 PM3/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
> I've never been very good at ab workouts, never had a six-pack in my
> life. These felt good though.

I don't think you need to worry about the 6 pack, thats more of a "for
show" thing. If you're squatting and deadlifting, you will probably
have strong abs, plus with the assistance work. I do the pulldowns,
weighted decline situps, and the barbell twist thing. I think they
work well.

Plus, you'll probably have stronger abs than most guys that have the 6
pack. Most people just do those damn crunches in the cardio area
upstairs...thats not strength.

Nick Sereni

Mar 5, 2009, 7:33:52 PM3/5/09
to RIT Weightlifting
By the numbers, today was a failure. I'm definitely sore though. For
next week I plan on bringing the weight down and pretending I did
those weights today. I don't want to be failing already, and I'd
rather be lifting less and eventually catching up to the right
weights.

ASSISTANCE UPPER

OVERHEAD PRESS
70X10
70X10
70X7
70X7
70X10

PULLDOWN
130X8X5

BENCH
140X12
140X12
140X6
140X7
140X5
This was my biggest disappointment, I want these to be quality lifts,
not fails.

SEATED LOW-ROWS
145X8X5

DUMBBELL EXTENSION
These were supposed to be 50X8X5, but the gym closed before I could
finish my routine and I did the barbell curls first, just letting you
know these are supposed to be here.

BARBELL CURLS
70X12
70X12
70X5
70X12
I would like another set in here, but again, the gym closed.

Overall depressing lifting day, but as I said, I'm very sore, so I
guess it was okay.

James

Mar 6, 2009, 8:24:42 AM3/6/09
to RIT Weightlifting
It might be hard to deal with, but one bad lifting day shouldn't be a
judge of 'success' or progress, just make sure to come back and hammer
the 'failed' session next time. Just yesterday for me I had a bad day
too, but in the past when I have a bad day, miss a lift I really
wanted to hit, I nail it the next time. Chris has said to me in the
past (and probably you too) adding 5 pounds to a lift in a month or
two is progress, might not seem like much, but it IS progress.

chris

Mar 6, 2009, 1:59:33 PM3/6/09
to RIT Weightlifting
i would superset the arm work. you can also superset the push-pull
work on the assistance day, but i would probably hold off on that
until your next cycle.

in regards to dropping weight on the bench, remember what i said about
the overhead stuff. evaluate it and try to figure out if the
intensity is too high, or if your work capacity is what held you
back. the assistance day is all about hypertrophy, and while i want
most sets to be relatively easy, i don't think it is essential for you
to hit every rep on every set to achieve the desired result. don't
get too hung up on one bad day.

Jeffrey Salvagin (RIT Student)

Mar 6, 2009, 9:52:06 PM3/6/09
to RIT Weightlifting
hey nick what are your goals with your training ?

Nick Sereni

Mar 7, 2009, 10:46:01 AM3/7/09
to RIT Weightlifting
For now I don't have any real weight goals. I mostly want to increase
my lifts and general strength. I'm growing like no one's business and
at this point I don't think I have to focus on any one thing because I
have so much room for improvement in all areas. If I had to choose
some numbers, I guess I'd say:
WEIGHT:200
BENCH:300
DEADLIFT:400
SQUAT:300

I don't care when these things happen, I just want them to happen. I
think with the right training and the right amount of time, they are
very possible for me.

On Mar 6, 9:52 pm, "Jeffrey Salvagin (RIT Student)" <jjs6...@rit.edu>

Sadaf

Mar 7, 2009, 12:48:18 PM3/7/09
to RIT Weightlifting
you want to squat as much as you bench? or do you mean 200 for bench?

Nick Sereni

Mar 7, 2009, 1:55:42 PM3/7/09
to RIT Weightlifting
By the time I'm benching 300, I'm sure I'll be squatting more, didn't
quite think that one through.

Nick Sereni

Mar 9, 2009, 9:18:20 PM3/9/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Besides the fact that the gym was ridiculously packed, today was a
good day. Not much to say about it, so here goes MAX LOWER, week 2.

DEADLIFT:
155X5
185X5
225X5
295X5
I told myself once I got to 295 for 5, I'd up the weight. So,
needless to say I will be upping the weight next week. Not sure to
what yet, maybe 305??

LOW BOX SQUAT
155X5X4
I love these. Today Bob pointed out a few things, mostly keeping my
form tight the entire way down and not trying to depend on the box.
Last week my form was probably off, but they still did wonders. Today
they were even better.

GOOD MORNINGS
90X12X4
Nothing special here.

LEG PRESS
6 PLATESX12X4
This is definitely pretty heavy for me, sometimes I might not go down
as far as I should. But I definitely feel it.

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR KNEE RAISES
33
26
23
20
I felt much better on these than last week.

Again, all went well. Tomorrow is MAX UPPER so be ready to hear from
me then.

James

Mar 10, 2009, 8:23:19 AM3/10/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Nick, on the leg press (if you're using the 35 degree press) you can
set the safety pins to different heights, so you can touch the springs
each rep so you know you are going deep enough.

chris

Mar 10, 2009, 12:13:02 PM3/10/09
to RIT Weightlifting
On Mar 10, 8:23 am, James <JamesCDickin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nick, on the leg press (if you're using the 35 degree press) you can
> set the safety pins to different heights, so you can touch the springs
> each rep so you know you are going deep enough.

don't worry about getting real deep with this. the point on this
movement in your template is lactic acid accumulation and pump. there
is a limit to depth on the leg press where the back must start
rounding to continue lowering the sled -- this isn't going to do
anything for your legs and will only increase the possibility of
injury. i would avoid using the one with the safety pins; you will
learn how to judge depth based on the stretch in the muscles with some
time. for now just concentrate on beating the quads up with this
movement.

> On Mar 9, 9:18 pm, Nick Sereni <glicho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > DEADLIFT:
> > 155X5
> > 185X5
> > 225X5
> > 295X5
> > I told myself once I got to 295 for 5, I'd up the weight.  So,
> > needless to say I will be upping the weight next week.  Not sure to
> > what yet, maybe 305??

i would recommend doing a 3-4 rep max (it's fine to use 305 as your
first attempt next week for this) for the next 2 weeks. as another
option, you can switch to the squat and shoot for a 5RM for the next
two weeks. remember that for the 4th week, you should do reduced load/
volume training. look at the training plan i had posted in the files
section for how i reduced the volume for my brother on weeks 4 and 8
and model your week similarly.

good job so far -- keep it up and you'll be looking at a 350+ pull at
the end of this cycle.

when you switch your main movement(s), send me an e-mail and i'll get
you the starter percentages/reps/etc. for the other movements that
will need to be adjusted.

Lelli

Mar 10, 2009, 2:44:02 PM3/10/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I agree with the leg press depth. I've seen 3 people injure themselves
b/c they went too deep (i am 1 of the 3).

Shit hurts.

Joseph Correa

Mar 10, 2009, 5:05:48 PM3/10/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com, RIT Weightlifting
My philosophy is that that you can never get too deep ;)

Joseph Amadeus Correa
Applied Mathematics Graduate
School of Mathematical Sciences
Rochester Institute of Technology
85 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623
(917) 535-0462 jac...@rit.edu

Nick Sereni

Mar 10, 2009, 7:13:07 PM3/10/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Today was MAX UPPER and all went well. Again, not too much to say,
just got some numbers for ya. Thanks for you encouragement and wise
words as always.

BENCH PRESS
95X5
135X5
145X5
190X2
Next week I'll get three. No excuses.

PULLDOWN
135X7X5

OVERHEAD PRESS
75X9X5

LOW ROW
130X9X5

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
120X9X5

PREACHER CURLS
70X9X5

With the exception of that bench mishap(190X2), today went well. I
even felt good on the overheads. Tomorrow is my day off and I'll be
back Thursday.

Steve....@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2009, 10:30:58 PM3/10/09
to RIT Weightlifting
145 to 190 is a big jump. It's about 20-25% of your max set. Because
of this, not only were you probably not as ready as you could have
been for that last set, you didn't get in much volume on the main move
and didn't have much time to practice technique. I'd structure it
more like this next week:

bar*w/e*w/e
85*
115*5
135*5
155*3
175*3
190*3

After that, 190 should be easy for 3.

Nick Sereni

Mar 10, 2009, 10:40:09 PM3/10/09
to RIT Weightlifting
This was something I was wondering about, I definitely feel like I can
do more. I'll be sure to try it this way next week, thanks.

Mister Pfister

Mar 11, 2009, 4:21:39 PM3/11/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Yes...as a rule of thumb always make 5-10% jumps on max effort work.

James

Mar 11, 2009, 6:18:02 PM3/11/09
to RIT Weightlifting
10% works well for me

Lelli

Mar 11, 2009, 7:02:34 PM3/11/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I prefer 11.3% (+/- .008%)

Nick Sereni

Mar 12, 2009, 10:53:51 AM3/12/09
to RIT Weightlifting
So, true champions lifts at 8 A.M. They also do this because their
lifting partner has classes later. Anyways, today was ASSISTANCE
LOWER and it took place at 8 A.M.

SQUAT
150X9X5
Went perfectly.

LUNGE
90X8X5
These felt much better than last week. I felt stable and balanced.

HACK SQUAT
115X11
120X11
125X11
135X11
Felt good, sometimes the bar hits my calves or my ass, but overall
nice.

RDL
155X8X5
Love these too. I especially like that they're last, I get to finish
with a nice stretch.

AB STRAP TRUNK CURL
70X15X5
These went well. I actually got to use the strap this week instead of
the rope like last week. Maybe a little difference?

Maybe I'm just in a good mood because I only have one class today, but
I'm feeling really good about today. I guess that's it, tomorrow is
ASSISTANCE UPPER so be ready.

Nick Sereni

Mar 13, 2009, 8:55:50 PM3/13/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Assistance upper, go!

OVERHEADPRESS
75X9X5

PULLDOWN
130X8X5

BENCH
130X12X5

SEATED LOW ROW
145X8X5

DUMBBELL EXTENSIONS
50X8X5

BARBELL CURLS
70X12X5

Great workout overall. Not much else to say, no fails, feeling good.
I'll be at the gym tomorrow for event training so I will see most of
you there.

Nick Sereni

Mar 14, 2009, 8:45:04 PM3/14/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Had some event training today, good stuff. This is unrelated to my
routine, but I figure I might as well throw it on here because it
includes me using every muscle in my body. Well, almost. Anyways:

FARMER WALKS
2 Plates on eachX1
2 Plates + 2 quarters on eachX1
2 Plates + 2 quarters + 2 dimes on eachX1
Weights fell off on one side about 2 feet from the finish, I'm
counting it.
4 Plates on each X1
I only thought I was going one way with this, but Bob coaxed me on and
I made it back. Some kind of PR.

ATLAS STONE IMPERSONATOR
I think Frey said there was 180 on it, doesn't matter too much because
I couldn't do crap with it. I was actually able to lap it as much as
I wanted, which is honestly more than I saw coming, but I was not even
close to getting it up.

TRUCK PULL
Pulled Chris' huge truck. Not sure of the distances or any of that
jazz. From where Frey started crying to the endish. I did this twice
and pushed it back with help a bunch of times. This felt harder than
usual, maybe because I did more Farmers than usual, or because I've
had some really good leg days this week and I'm honestly exhausted.

That's it for event training. I'll be lifting MTWR this week because
I may be leaving Friday, we'll see what happens.

Nick Sereni

Mar 16, 2009, 10:43:43 PM3/16/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX LOWER

DEADLIFT
155X5
185X5
225X5
255X3
285X3
305X5
I was planning on hitting five, though I really only thought I'd be
able to hit three. Instead I nailed all five and they felt great.

LOW BOX SQUAT[PAUSED]
155X5X4

GOOD MORNING
90X14X4

LEG PRESS
6 PlatesX14X4

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR
X36
X30
X25
X26

Today went very well. Tomorrow is MAX UPPER and it will be taking
place at 8 A.M.

Nick Sereni

Mar 17, 2009, 4:18:41 PM3/17/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER(8 AM)

BENCH
barX10
85X7
115X5
135X5
155X3
175X3
190X3
Actually got it this time. It was pretty close too, maybe because it
was so early, maybe because three weeks ago this was above my 1RM.

PULLDOWN
140X6X5

OHP
75X10X5

LOW ROW
130X10X5

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
120X10X5

PREACHER CURLS
70X10X5

Workouts have been going extremely well lately, not much else to say,
I'm growing boys.

Nick Sereni

Mar 18, 2009, 10:37:09 PM3/18/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE LOWER

I'll start with the good. My squat is looking pretty good. I haven't
messed it up.

The bad: the past three weeks when I've been writing Squat, I should
have been writing FULL OLYMPIC SQUAT. My quick google for the
difference between squat and Olympic squat gave me some false info.
Anyways, luckily Chris caught me and another fix has been made. Also,
my hamstrings are about as flexible as steel(as strong as it too
though). Gianni showed me the sickest stretch ever and hopefully I
can improve my ROM.

The ugly: I did mention Gianni was there, right?

Anyways, ignoring my three sets of regular squats, here goes.

FULL OLYMPIC SQUATS
115X10
115X6
115X10
115X10
I guess the timing wasn't bad for this, next week is deload then I can
start a new cycle my favorite way: the right way.

LUNGE
90X8X5
These with the squats ripped my quads to the max.

HACK SQUAT
115X12
120X12
125X12
135X12
I started feeling straight up exhausted, but I still felt them and did
them.

RDL
155X8X5
And the hamstrings come back into play.

AB STRAP TRUNK CURL
70X15X5
Easily my favorite ab exercise.

I'm still feeling pretty good about today, despite my mistakes.

Nick Sereni

Mar 20, 2009, 10:30:14 AM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Today is Friday but I did my ASSISTANCE UPPER yesterday, didn't have
time to post, sorry to keep you waiting.

ASSISTANCE UPPER

OHP
80X8X5
Feeling a lot better than the beginning of the cycle.

PULLDOWN
130X8X5

BENCH
130X12X5
I've been straight up exhausted lately. My days kind of move in slow
motion. I usually snap out of in the gym, but today it was really
showing. I barely made these sets.

SEATED LOW ROW
145X8X5

DUMBBELL EXTENSIONS
50X8X5

BARBELL CURLS
70X12X5

Like I said before, a general fatigue has invaded my body and I can't
shake it off. I'll still be doing some event training today on my own
between 1 and 4. Probably FARMERS, maybe just picking them if the gym
is crowded, Bob warned me not to piss off the fieldhouse people. I'll
definitely be doing the ATLAS STONE IMPOSTER, I want to put on some
weight that I can actually do, then maybe I'll do the keg, just
picking if crowded. Hopefully I'll be awake enough for it. Gone to
UVM all weekend to see the lady, so maybe that'll wake me up.

Mister Pfister

Mar 20, 2009, 11:08:41 AM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
you can do dumbbell tri extensions with 50lb Dbs?

Mister Pfister

Mar 20, 2009, 11:08:48 AM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
you can do dumbbell tri extensions with 50lb Dbs?

Nick Sereni

Mar 20, 2009, 11:25:32 AM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Yet another mistake. I've been doing dumbbell kickbacks, I should be
doing extensions. Again, now is the time to find these mistakes I
suppose. Anyways, I'll start these up on my deload which should be a
good time to find the right weight. I'm thinking around 40. Thanks
for that.

Nicholas Battista

Mar 20, 2009, 11:28:41 AM3/20/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
You've been doing 50lb dumbbell kickbacks???? Damn that beats me.

Nick Sereni

Mar 20, 2009, 11:32:59 AM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Did I mention I was doing them wrong as well?

On Mar 20, 11:28 am, Nicholas Battista <nab4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You've been doing 50lb dumbbell kickbacks???? Damn that beats me.

Joseph Correa

Mar 20, 2009, 1:07:56 PM3/20/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
You've been doing them wrong? Well thats why we need to have an arms seminar like the squat, deadlift and bench seminars chris did.

James

Mar 20, 2009, 6:38:44 PM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Nick, Your belt is in the back of the top locker. Thanks for letting
me borrow it again! It helped set a new PR!

On Mar 20, 1:07 pm, Joseph Correa <joebloggs257088...@gmail.com>

Lelli

Mar 20, 2009, 7:35:07 PM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
DOING DB kickbacks IS wrong.

doesn't matter if your form is top notch or if looks like your
swinging a rubber mallet. It's wrong.
> > like the squat, deadlift and bench seminars chris did.- Hide quoted text -

James

Mar 20, 2009, 10:02:28 PM3/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Nick, just read over the past few post, Doing DB extensions, depending
on how your doing them, 25-30 per hand will probably be a good
starting point, with good form of course... I'm interested to see how
exactly you were doing kickbacks/extensions 'incorrectly' and with 50
pounds...

Nick Sereni

Mar 21, 2009, 12:21:14 PM3/21/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Let's see if we can't get my mistake cleared up. I'm hoping that
maybe I'm not completely wrong and that I'm just calling whatever I
was doing the wrong thing. It definitely wasn't dumbbell extensions,
which I will be switching to no matter what the result. Anyways, I'll
describe what it was exactly that I was doing.

Working the right side: Left hand and left knee were positioned on
the bench. I then would put my right leg to the right side, usually
no knee bent, pretty far out to stabilize myself. The dumbbell would
be on the floor beneath my shoulder/chest. Then, using my right hand
I would pull it up towards my side, then let it back down. My elbow
would bend as I pulled the weight up and at the highest point the
weight would be at my side and my arm would be bent and above my
back. There was some shoulder movement throughout.

Steve....@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2009, 1:30:18 PM3/21/09
to RIT Weightlifting
You were doing DB rows. If I didn't think you were a good kid to
start, I would be making some pretty mean jokes right now.

Nick Sereni

Mar 21, 2009, 1:32:15 PM3/21/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Then thank you for your mercy, and your help.

James

Mar 21, 2009, 5:19:07 PM3/21/09
to RIT Weightlifting
yeah, that would be a back exercise, pretty much the exact opposite of
a tricep movement.

Lelli

Mar 21, 2009, 5:27:09 PM3/21/09
to RIT Weightlifting
If you were doing DB rows correct, keep doing them. I've found that
(if done right) they are great for your back and grip strength.

Just wait until you do them with the 160s.

Nick Sereni

Mar 23, 2009, 9:41:12 PM3/23/09
to RIT Weightlifting
For those of you keeping tabs, this is in fact my fourth week and
therefor my first legit deload. All went well, here goes.

DEADLIFT
155X5
185X5
225X5
255X3
295X3
315X3
Three fifteen is actually above my PR and I did it for three and felt
good.

LOW BOX SQUAT[PAUSED]
155X5X4

GOOD MORNING
90X10X3

LEG PRESS
6 PlatesX10X3

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR
X42
X31
X27
X30

Like I said before, all went well. See ya tomorrow.

Bob Stevens

Mar 24, 2009, 7:58:49 AM3/24/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
PR'd on a deload? I'm confused.......

Nick Sereni

Mar 24, 2009, 11:26:59 PM3/24/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER-Week 4(deload)

BENCH
barX10
85X5
115X5
135X5
155X3
175X3
190X3
This is the same weight as last week, felt great.

PULLDOWN
145X5X4

OHP
75X8X4

LOW ROW
130X8X4

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
120X8X4

PREACHER CURLS
70X8X4

Good day.

On Mar 24, 7:58 am, Bob Stevens <esco67...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PR'd on a deload? I'm confused.......

Dan Higgins

Mar 24, 2009, 11:39:44 PM3/24/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Hey Nick,

I'm still new just like you, but from what I know, you shouldn't be
hitting anything close to a PR on your deload week. The point of a
deload week is to let you recover, while still providing some
stimulation for your muscles. I'm not familiar with the plan you are
doing, but for what I do, its something like 60-70% of your 1RM for 5
reps, then stop.

I noticed you hit 190x3 on your bench, which is good, but if you're
worried you might "loose it" while deloading, don't worry. I was
always afraid to not go for a 1RM or something cuz i thought if i
didn't do every week, my strength would disappear. I was wrong.

Shawn explained the whole concept of "training age" to me a few months
ago. For a new-er lifter, you might be able to go many weeks hitting
a PR or rep PR each time before you feel tired or weak. the deload is
definitely necessary for more experienced lifters, since you can only
apply increased intensity or volume before long before your CNS gets
fried.

Just some food for thought.

Nick Sereni

Mar 25, 2009, 12:03:06 AM3/25/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Yeah, judging from Bob's reaction, I realized that I was clearly
wrong. I thought that maybe going for just a weight I knew I could do
would be enough. But again, maybe this wasn't enough, I don't know, I
was just feeling so damned fresh. I'll definitely go lower in four
weeks. Thanks for your input.

Dan Higgins

Mar 25, 2009, 1:07:47 AM3/25/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Yea, what I meant by training age too is that right now it may not
make much of a difference. But suppose you're doing a PL routine in a
year or so, and with much bigger numbers, you'll need to deload. I'm
just saying this from what I've tried and been told.

Bob Stevens

Mar 25, 2009, 9:21:46 AM3/25/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
Going light on the deload is also a mental thing, for me atleast. I get so bored during that week that when I finally get back to business I go balls out....

I assume you're doing whatever Chris planned for you?

Mister Pfister

Mar 25, 2009, 11:10:31 AM3/25/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Chris aka the Oracle is to be obeyed at all costs when following his
program. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For he is the Oracle
and will smite thee for disobedience.

On Mar 25, 9:21 am, Bob Stevens <esco67...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Going light on the deload is also a mental thing, for me atleast. I get so
> bored during that week that when I finally get back to business I go balls
> out....
>
> I assume you're doing whatever Chris planned for you?

Steve....@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2009, 12:12:45 PM3/25/09
to RIT Weightlifting
The template posted doesn't include a deload, as best that I can see.

Listen to Shawn, as he is the oracle's secretary.

chris

Mar 25, 2009, 4:51:32 PM3/25/09
to RIT Weightlifting
i tried posting a reply on my phone, but i don't think it went
through.

anyway, on the last week of each cycle, nick is still supposed to make
an attempt at a RM (3 or 5) PR.

the 'deload' is a reduction in the number of sets, reps as well as
load for some movements (this happens in weeks 4 and 8 of the template
that i posted in the files section). generally, he will be doing 1
less set, and will drop the reps down to about 1/2 to 2/3 of what he
did on the previous week; the work (reps X sets X load) done for all
assistance and accessory work is significantly scaled back during this
week. basically, he will hit 2 limit lifts during this week (2 sets
for an RM attempt), and the rest of that week's training will be
reduced volume and should be rather easy. also, bear in mind that
even during the non-deload weeks, every other set other than his
limit, main movement set will be at less than 80% -- more likely
around 70% or so -- and is not taken to failure. given the
programming of this template, i do not believe that an intensity or
full deload is necessary.

check this out:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deload.htm

the oracle has written (and shawn was being serious).

Nick Sereni

Mar 26, 2009, 8:58:40 PM3/26/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE LOWER

FULL OLYMPIC SQUAT
115X8X4
I've been doing the stretch Gianni showed me all week as long as some
other stuff, needless to say I feel like a cheerleader(Gianni's
plan??) and I was able to do these semi-competently today.

LUNGE
90X8X4

HACK SQUAT
115X10
120X10
135X10

RDL
155X8X4

AB STRAP CURLS
70X15X4

Good day, that is all. See ya tomorrow.

Nick Sereni

Mar 27, 2009, 9:28:36 PM3/27/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Assistance Upper

OHP
85X7X4

PULLDOWN
130X8X4

BENCH
130X12X4

SEATED LOW ROW
145X8X4

DUMBBELL EXTENSIONS(Done right)
30X8X4

BARBELL CURLS
70X12X4

A wave of sickness flowed over my around noon today but I still went
to the gym, obviously. I felt tired the whole time, but all in all it
was still a good workout. If my die hard fans remember, the first
week I was failing at 85 on the OHP after enough reps. Today, despite
feeling sick, I felt I could do more. Signs of progress gives me a
hard on.

James

Mar 27, 2009, 10:02:48 PM3/27/09
to RIT Weightlifting
A lot of times just getting moving makes you feel better. Still make
sure to get some rest so you don't get sick for real! Great Progress,
Nick!

Bob Stevens

Mar 27, 2009, 10:27:25 PM3/27/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
Good stuff Nick, you seem to be progressing nicely. Have you put on any weight? Get some rest, I'm feeling like a heavy event day tomorrow...

Nick Sereni

Mar 30, 2009, 9:14:37 PM3/30/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Today was my new max lower with switched main movements.

MAX LOWER

SQUAT
BarX7
95X5
115X5
155X5
190X3
210X5
My old PR was 200 and now I'm doing 210 for 5. It didn't feel bad at
all and I expect to do more next week.

DEADLIFT
245X8X5

GOOD MORNINGS
95X10X4

LEG PRESS
6 PLATES+2 FivesX10X4

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR
X40
X30
X30
X30

Everything felt good, and I love the improvement. I was sick all
weekend and today, but I think my body forgot while I was at the gym.
Nothing else to say.

P.S. That yolk may be the coolest thing I've ever seen. I will be
there this weekend for sure.

Nick Sereni

Mar 30, 2009, 11:41:59 PM3/30/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I forgot to thank Bob and James for their words of encouragement.
Thanks for reading along and helping out! I always wanted to tell you
all about my passage into manliness. I don't know why it happened on
max lower day, but I just discovered the biggest stretch mark ever.
It looks like I got stabbed under my left shoulder. Some say ugly, I
say baller. Anyways, see you tomorrow.

Nick Sereni

Mar 31, 2009, 9:02:58 PM3/31/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER(Switched main movement)

OHP
BarX5
65X5
85X5
95X4
115X5
This pretty much the most weight I've done on OHP and I really wasn't
sure where my 5RM was, I think this is about right though. I think
I'll try the same weight next week because I definitely struggled a
bit and my form may have been compromised.

PULLDOWN
135X8X5
I chose to up the weight just a little. So, where I started at 130 at
the beginning, I'm now at 135. This will end my cycle at 150. And
then my next will start at 140 etc... I decided to keep with smaller
increments, slow and steady progress. This is true for most of my
lifts.

BENCH
150X8X4
150X6
I was obviously going for 5 sets of 8 but I failed at 6 on the last
set. I took a two second breather and finished it, but I'm not
counting it. Either way, these felt good.

LOW ROW
135X8X5

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
125X8X5

PREACHER CURLS
75X8X5

Today was beautiful, 'nuff said.

Nick Sereni

Apr 2, 2009, 9:33:32 PM4/2/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE LOWER

FULL SQUAT
115X8X5
My shorts were being very bothersome for these, but once I hiked 'em
up nice and high I was able to burn my quads.

LUNGE
110X8X5

HACK SQUAT
120X10
125X10
130X10
140X10

RDL
160X8X5

AB STRAP TRUNK CURL(done with a rope)
75X15X5
Five pounds is quite a difference, but I made them all.

I think I'm finally over my cold which was raping me on the past few
days. All went well.

Nick Sereni

Apr 3, 2009, 9:38:57 PM4/3/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE UPPER

OHP
75X10X2
75X9
75X8X2

PULLDOWNS
135X8X5

BENCH
135X12X2
135X11
135X7
135X10

SEATED LOW ROW
150X8X5

DUMBBELL EXTENSIONS
30X8X5

BARBELL CURLS
75X12X3
75X7
75X12

As you can see, there are a few failures listed. I can't say I'm
disappointed in them. I'm just disappointed that I was trying so hard
and still failing. I don't know what it was, I was just straight up
tired. When I lifted the bar to start benching, it just plain ole'
felt heavy. I have upped my weights in small amounts from the last
cycle. I'm hoping that next week I will have some improvement and be
able to catch up. I guess we'll find out then. In the meantime,
strongman training tomorrow, maybe I can make up for it.

Nick Sereni

Apr 4, 2009, 6:45:06 PM4/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Event training today. I had a few accomplishments, but I kind of took
it easy. I've still been really tired. Anyways:

YOLK WALK
First try:405X a pathetic ten feetish. Turned it around and brought
it back.
I really didn't know what I was doing here, first time I had done it,
but I got a few pointers and I feel much better.
Second Try:495X the same as before. I had the better form but it was
heavier, keep reading.
Third Try:405X all the way down and back, rumor has it that it's about
40 feet. Anyways, I was slow, but it felt good to do it.

ATLAS TRAINING
180X1 This is the first time I have been able to do this and I didn't
think I was even close before. With a few guys yelling at me I
managed and I'm a little pumped I must say.
KEGX1 I also did not think I was going to be able to do this. After
these I have a little more confidence in the competition.

FARMERS
I'm not even going to write what I did, pretty pathetic turnout on
these.

I just want to point out my goals for the events. I'm competing
largely for the experience and the fun. But I definitely want to do
well also. I have no conceptions of winning or any of that jazz. My
biggest goal is completing everything. I don't mind being last as
long as I lose by 20 seconds and not because I'm crying on top of a
weight. I think this goal is possible and I look forward to it. In
other news, I hung up some flyers a few minutes ago. I got the major
residence halls and gracie's. I still have a few I'll put up
tomorrow. Thanks for today boys.

Nick Sereni

Apr 6, 2009, 9:59:50 PM4/6/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Week 6

MAX LOWER
SQUAT
BarX5
95X5
115X5
155X5
190X3
220X5
I wish I did more because I hit these fine. Next week I'm switching
to the 3RM for the last two weeks of the cycle. Any ideas what
weight? My guess is like 250, but at the same time I feel like I can
do more. Again, any help?

DEADLIFT
245X9X4
I cut these down to 4 sets instead of 5, that's a lot of pulls.

GOOD MORNINGS
95X12X4

LEG PRESS
6 Plates+2FivesX12X4

ATLAS STONE TRAINER
125X5X4
I did these for ab work. The weight was somewhat low for me so I
could rep it out. I'm gonna keep these hopefully until the summer.

That's everything. I just need to think about that squat for next
week. If anything I want to guess high and miss, I really haven't
pushed my squat to its limit yet.

Bob Stevens

Apr 6, 2009, 10:05:48 PM4/6/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how your progression is within the sets but you could always do 195x3, 225x3, 255x3. If that is "easy" go for 265 the following week. They're all PR's so no need to get greedy, take it slow and you'll be happy.

Mister Pfister

Apr 6, 2009, 11:58:27 PM4/6/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I would probably go with like 235 to start. You can always do more.

On Apr 6, 10:05 pm, Bob Stevens <esco67...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure how your progression is within the sets but you could always do
> 195x3, 225x3, 255x3. If that is "easy" go for 265 the following week.
> They're all PR's so no need to get greedy, take it slow and you'll be happy.

Nick Sereni

Apr 7, 2009, 9:09:54 PM4/7/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER

OHP
BarX5
65X5
85X5
95X3
115X5
Same weight as last week, my form was better though. Next week is 3RM
so I'll be upping it, not sure what yet though.

PULLDOWN
140X7X5

BENCH
150X9X3
150X6X2
Believe it or not I was going for all sets of 9. I felt a lot better
than last week but couldn't keep up with the upped reps. I'm going
for sets of 10 next week anyways.

LOW ROW
135X9X5

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
125X9X5

PREACHER CURLS
75X9X5

Good day overall.

Nick Sereni

Apr 9, 2009, 9:38:07 PM4/9/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE LOWER
If you read anything of this post, please skip to the hack squat
section.

FULL OLYMPIC SQUAT
115X9X5
These feel much better.

LUNGE
100X8X5

HACK SQUAT
120X11
125X11
130X6
At this point I I quit. I cannot, for the life of me, get these
right. I've really been bending the limits of these since I started
them but I didn't want to quit on them. Anyways, my back is arched
like no one's business and I cannot pull the bar without arching it.
I tried and tried today. The point is, I know the difference between
hard and counter-productive. Pushing on with these cannot end well.
I'm gonna try and talk to Chris about switching this movement or
something.

RDL
160X8X5
In my defense, I think these went really well.

AB STRAP TRUNK CURLS
75X15X5

I guess that's it. My only dilemma is that hack squat and the fact
that I'm still sick.

Nick Sereni

Apr 10, 2009, 9:38:18 PM4/10/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE UPPER

OHP
80X9X5
Nice.

PULLDOWN
135X8X5

BENCH
135X12X3
135X9
135X10

SEATED LOW ROW
150X8X5

DUMBBELL EXTENSIONS
30X8X5

BARBELL CURLS
75X12X3
75X10
75X12

Good day despite still feeling sick.

Bob Stevens

Apr 11, 2009, 9:07:50 PM4/11/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
Looking good Nick, you've been sick for a while now, whats going on? If you need to take another day to recover you might want cause dragging a cold is just going to hurt in the end.

Btw, I was just cleaning off my desk and found the sheets from the meet we did in November, you squatted 165 and missed 185. Now you're repping 225+, nice progress.

Nick Sereni

Apr 11, 2009, 10:54:37 PM4/11/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Thanks for the encouragement as usual, Bob. Missed you today, hope
your meet went well. Here's what you missed out on:

YOKE(1=down and back)
225X1
315X2
405X2
495X1(WAAAY better than last time, a few drops, but still.)
405X1 to finish it off

ATLAS TRAINER
180X4 I'm pretty pumped about this.

FARMERS
2 PLATESX1
2 PLATES+2 QUARTERSX1
4 PLATESX1
I'm definitely not looking forward to these in the competition, but
I've made some progress and I'll get them done.

About the cold: still feeling a little sick, woke up way better than
yesterday, but I felt like shit yesterday. I have faith in being
better by Monday.

Nick Sereni

Apr 13, 2009, 9:47:52 PM4/13/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Week 7(already)

MAX LOWER
Squat
BarX5
95X5
115X5
155X5
195X3
235X3
255X3
I know the 235's were good, which is a PR. However, the 255's were
about an inch above parallel as noted by Tim's watchful eye. I'm not
counting them in the back of my mind, but I'm just letting you know
they occurred. I'm going for the same next weight next week and
hopefully nailing it, paying close attention to depth and pushing my
knees out.

DEADLIFT
245X10X4

GOOD MORNINGS
95X14X4

LEG PRESS
6 PLATES+2FIVESX14X4

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR
X40
X40
X30
X31

I have mixed feelings about the squat. No excuses, I'm just gonna get
it next week.

Nick Sereni

Apr 14, 2009, 9:30:42 PM4/14/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER
OHP
BarX5
65X5
85X5
95X3
115X3
I know what you're thinking, but Nick, you did that last week for 5.
Shut up, last week I was adding a little bit of leg movement. Tim
caught me and now I'm doing pure presses, next week I may even try
sitting while doing them, as suggested by Chris. Despite the same
weight, I feel good about it.

PULLDOWNS
145X6X5

BENCH
150X10X3
150X9
150X6
These felt great, that is all.

LOW ROW
130X10X5

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
125X10X5

PREACHER CURLS
75X10X5

Another successful day.

Nick Sereni

Apr 16, 2009, 9:48:55 PM4/16/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE UPPER

FULL OLYMPIC SQUAT
115X10X5

LUNGE
100X8X5

ZERCHER SQUATS
100X12
105X12
110X12
115X12
I switched from hack squats to these because my I couldn't get the
form right on hack squats and I was just destroying my back. The good
news is that these don't hurt my back, the bad news is that I'm pretty
sure I cried a little when I did them. Pure pain, but the good kind.

RDL
160X8X5

AB STRAP TRUNK CURLS
75X15X5

Lifted alone today, but all went well. That's it.

Nick Sereni

Apr 17, 2009, 8:54:36 PM4/17/09
to RIT Weightlifting
ASSISTANCE UPPER

OHP
85X8X2
85X6
85X6X2
I switched to doing these sitting down. This prevents any leg
effort. This makes the weight I had a little heavier than I can
handle though. I'll see how next week goes then base next cycle off
of that.

PULLDOWNS
135X8X5

BENCH
135X12X2
135X10
135X11
135X8
I lifted alone today and did these with no spotter. I guess that's
more reason to not fail, but I still just couldn't get it. I don't
know, I'm feeling pretty tired today, but I haven't been able to hit
these all cycle. Again, see how next week goes and base next cycle
accordingly. Thanks for your help again, Shawn.

LOW ROW
150X8X5

DB EXTENSIONS
30X8X5

BARBELL CURLS
75X12X5
Finally was able to nail all of these, possibly because of the big
thumbs-up Nick gave me when he saw me doing curls.

This day barely lives up to my standards, really wish I was able to
hit some more. But again, very tired and lifted alone.

Nick Sereni

Apr 20, 2009, 9:15:27 PM4/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX LOWER

SQUAT
BarX5
95X5
115X5
155X5
195X3
225X3
255X2
I didn't feel like worrying about if I got depth or not so I put a box
under me. They all felt awesome. I got 255 for 2 and then 1 one with
Chris' help, but it doesn't count as you can imagine. I'm ok with it,
at least it counted.

DEADLIFT
245X8X3
I'm excited to see how all this pulling work has affected my max next
week.

GOOD MORNING
95X14X3

LEG PRESS
6PLATES+2FIVESX14X3

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR
X42
X29
X30
X30

This week is as close to a deload as my schedule allows. I still max
out, the only deload part about it is lower reps and sets. Next week
I switch my main movements as another cycle begins.

Bob Stevens

Apr 20, 2009, 9:18:21 PM4/20/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
SQUAT
BarX5
95X5
115X5
155X5
195X3
225X3
255X2
I didn't feel like worrying about if I got depth or not so I put a box
under me.  They all felt awesome.  I got 255 for 2 and then 1 one with
Chris' help, but it doesn't count as you can imagine.  I'm ok with it,
at least it counted.

What do you mean doesn't count? Did chris spot you and help you do the rep, is that what you mean?

Nick Sereni

Apr 20, 2009, 9:59:19 PM4/20/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Yeah, he spotted me on all three of the 255's, but only assisted on
the last.

On Apr 20, 9:18 pm, Bob Stevens <esco67...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SQUAT
> BarX5
> 95X5
> 115X5
> 155X5
> 195X3
> 225X3
> 255X2
> I didn't feel like worrying about if I got depth or not so I put a box
> under me.  They all felt awesome.  I got 255 for 2 and then 1 one with
> Chris' help, but it doesn't count as you can imagine.  I'm ok with it,
> at least it counted.
>
> What do you mean doesn't count? Did chris spot you and help you do the rep,
> is that what you mean?

Nick Sereni

Apr 21, 2009, 8:37:49 PM4/21/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER
OHP
BarX5
65X5
85X5
95X3
105X3
Again, the weight is down. This week I used the bench and did them
sitting. I would feel bad if I didn't know that my shoulders are
definitely sore.

PULLDOWN
150X5X4

BENCH
150X8X4

LOW ROW
135X10X4

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
125X10X4

PREACHER CURLS
75X10X4

Elbow pain, wtf? Left elbow if anyone cares. I'm going to just hope
it goes away, we'll see.

Nick Sereni

Apr 24, 2009, 8:39:48 PM4/24/09
to RIT Weightlifting
I know I didn't post yesterday, for those of you who were up late
worrying, I'm sorry. Anyways, here's my stuff from yesterday followed
by today's stuff.

ASSISTANCE LOWER
FULL OLYMPIC SQUAT
115X8X4

LUNGE
100X8X4

ZERCHER SQUATS
100X10
105X10
115X10

RDL
160X8X4

AB STRAP TRUNK CURLS
75X15X4

That's it for lower, and now upper.

ASSISTANCE UPPER
OHP
90X7X3
90X5

PULLDOWNS
135X8X4

BENCH
135X12X3
135X11
Dammit.

SEATED LOW ROWS
150X8X4

Dumbbell Extensions
30X8X4

Barbell Curls
75X12X4

And that's it for assistance lower. Next week is a new cycle with a
few new things, I'll note them when they happen. In other news, I did
get a hair cut and I know it looks awesome, thank you. It feels a lot
better in the gym without ten pounds on your head.

Nick Sereni

Apr 27, 2009, 9:36:32 PM4/27/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER

Today was a little different than my usual max upper. Strongman is
Saturday so I'm taking it easy this week.

BENCH
BarX10
85X5
115X5
135X5
155X3
175X3
190X2
210X1(+20 PR)
My plan never calls for an actual 1RM so I was a little in the dark
for what this would be. The most I've done before is 190 for three
and I estimated my bench to be 210, but it feel awesome to actually do
it. I attempted 215 after, but it was a little soon and I failed. I
really think I could get it no problem if I was fresh. Guess I'll
find out in a while. Anyways, I'll be using this number to base my
next cycle off of on a few of my lifts, I'll tell you when I get to
it.

OHP
BarX5
65X5
85X3
95X3
110X1(+5PR)
This is a PR as it pertains to my sitting on the bench position. I
know +5 isn't much, but after bench I'm pretty pumped for it. I also
felt good on the form. Again, I'll be using this weight for next
cycle estimations.

OH Dumbbell
I just did a few of these to test them out. Next cycle instead of
doing all OH barbell, I'll be doing these for the volume work to gain
some stabilizer muscles. Anyways, today I used 35's. They weren't
bad, I might start lower. I have some math to do on my plan then
we'll see where we are. Tomorrow I'll be doing Squat and Deadlift for
PR's as well, so be ready for more awesomeness.

Dan Higgins

Apr 27, 2009, 10:41:57 PM4/27/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Nick, a 5# PR is always nice. Its even better since you did the OVH
pressing after benching heavy-ish, so its nothing to frown upon.

Nick Sereni

Apr 29, 2009, 12:02:29 AM4/29/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX LOWER
Again, today is different as I was just getting some 1RM's in.
Anyways, get ready for some awesomeness.

DEADLIFT
155X5
185X5
225X5
255X3
295X3
335X1(+20PR)
355X1(+40)
365X1(+50)
Again, I've only trained for 3RM so these numbers may be misleading,
but as far as PR's go, they are the first times I moved that weight.
Don't worry, it gets better.

SQUAT
BarX5
95X5
115X5
155X5
195X3
225X3
275X1(+15)
Big jump, I know. I felt that if I did something in the middle I'd be
tired. I don't know, maybe a bad decision, but more importantly it's
a PR.

I gotta say I'm feeling pretty good about today and yesterday. It
puts my gym total at 850. I'll settle. For those of you keeping
track at home.
8 Weeks ago:
BENCH:200
DEADLIFT:310
SQUAT:225

Now:
BENCH:210
DEADLIFT:365
SQUAT:275

I just realized this means my bench yesterday was only a 10 lb PR. Oh
well. I've also gained about 6 lbs. I'm about 193+/- 2.

Mister Pfister

Apr 29, 2009, 9:48:43 AM4/29/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Dude you have to stop thinking 5lb to 10lbs is not good...especially
in 3 WEEKS. That's A+ progress.

Dan Higgins

Apr 29, 2009, 10:07:12 AM4/29/09
to RIT Weightlifting
Gaining weight = good. It took me a while to realize it, but it means
you're getting stronger.

Bob Stevens

Apr 29, 2009, 10:26:12 AM4/29/09
to RITweigh...@googlegroups.com
That's great progress for 8 weeks. You're deadlift is making me think your sandbagging on farmers....

I'm not sure if it matters for you, but If I'm going to squat and DL on the same day, I much prefer to squat first. You'll be able to cut out a bunch of DL warmups since you're already pretty loose and ready.

Gets some rest and eat your ass off for the rest of the week.

Nick Sereni

May 4, 2009, 10:02:45 PM5/4/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX LOWER
DEADLIFT
155X5
185X5
225X5
255X3
295X3
325X5
Good stuff.

LOW BOX SQUAT[PAUSED]
195X5X4
Haven't done these in 4 weeks so the weigh is based off my squat and
not an amount up from last time. My squat made a big jump, so these
did too.

GOOD MORNINGS
110X10X4

LEG PRESS(6 Plates, 2 Tens, 2 Fives)
X10
X10
X10
X10

CAPTAIN'S CHAIR
X40
X34
X30
X33

Glad to be back at it.

Nick Sereni

May 6, 2009, 8:03:39 PM5/6/09
to RIT Weightlifting
MAX UPPER(Yesterday, chill out I was busy)
BENCH
BarX10
85X5
115X5
135X5
155X3
175X3
195X4
So close, I'm going for it next week. MY 1RM was 210 but this makes
me think I could go higher.

PULLDOWNS
140X8X5

OHP(W/ Dumbbells)
30X8X5
My progress/weight for OHP was a little slow/low so Chris suggested
these to help with stabilizers and stuff. Anyways, I think I got the
weight right and they feel good.

LOW ROW
140X8X5

ROPE PUSHDOWNS
130X8X5

PREACHER CURLS
70X8X5
These should be at 80 by how my weights are supposed to increment.
However, I think 75 was pushing it, especially with my form. So, I
decided to knock the weight down to where I can do them correctly and
hopefully by next cycle I'll be ready for 75.
It is loading more messages.