Rhodes proper guide?

itsUday

Oct 5, 2012, 1:47:53 AM10/5/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
Is there any good Rhomobile book that can cover some of the concepts which can be of very much use in the apps like: Threads ( which I personally have problem with) and someother things that are so obvious.

The Rhomobile Beginners guide is not at all a beginners guide its just like some white pages that come up with the software. And has numerous code-typo's... I believe it was just published in fear of PhoneGap grabbing the whole lot of market share.

Does the Rhomobile folks have any interest in making a newer book version with wide coverage or it will be the same for a while.

Adam Blum

Oct 5, 2012, 12:35:39 PM10/5/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
Rhomobile Beginner's Guide was not done by Rhomobile (or Motorola).  I think they did a nice job though.

We have no plans to publish a book.  We have invested a huge amount of effort and time in the documentation (http://docs.rhomobile.com) and webinars (http://vimeo.com/search?q=rhomobile)

S Hamid

Oct 5, 2012, 1:21:18 PM10/5/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
While Rhomobile Beginner's guide was great book, I personally think a 2nd edition shd long been released because there were so much changes and updates especially with new exciting push sync via RPS, transactional supports etc.. Lengthy discussion, step-by-step topic of native extension would be something i am looking forward to.

Adam Blum

Oct 5, 2012, 2:17:46 PM10/5/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
Presumably Abhishek is listening?  Anyway if anyone in the community wants to write a book on Rhodes I can help you get a good publisher - we have had many inquiries from publishers looking for a Rhodes book.  Let me know.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rhomobile/-/ytxPULKevtoJ.

itsUday

Oct 5, 2012, 4:25:01 PM10/5/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
I believe Abhishek is very good at this.

It would be great to have some vidcasts with the standards of simplicity, audio-processed(other noise cancelled), swift, great presentation like Ryan Bates  of www.railscasts.com does and rightnow the current webinars lacks some of these features. You might also follow his business model too.. for advanced topics have the paid subscription.

Adam Blum

Oct 5, 2012, 4:33:59 PM10/5/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
Check out the redone webinars on vimeo (not the originals).  We had them all redone this summer. I am not aware of any other mobile platform with even a tiny fraction of the content we did there.

Yes, Ryan is great - I gladly pay for subscriptions to his stuff.  But I'm not sure that is a fair comparison.  How about: what other mobile framework has webinars as good as Brian's? :-) FWIW we will definitely NOT charge for webinar or other documentation content ever.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rhomobile/-/fPQ-1mrPAdAJ.

Jon Tara

Oct 6, 2012, 1:01:04 PM10/6/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
There is still a lack of well-written formal documentation. Although it has slowly gotten better, using the Developer Reference is an exercise in futility. Coverage is poor. Some topics are covered only fleetingly or peripherally.

For example, "redirect" is not addressed directly at all. I did a search through all of the documentation. It is mentioned in several sections on other topics as if the reader should somehow know about it. The only way you might guess what "redirect" does is from context when reading about other features.

This particular gap has existed in the documentation as long as I have been using Rhodes. It never bothered *me* because I have Rails background, so I could guess how it works. But - without looking at the source code - only guess.

I just now had to look at the source code, though, to determine options.

The current docs are far from Motorola standards. It is not a consolation that missing information might be found burried in some video. Most of us don't have time to watch videos, and need to be able to find what we need quickly in written, searchable documentation.

Jon Tara

Oct 6, 2012, 1:44:58 PM10/6/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of searchability, the documentation search still bombs on certain special characters. This is particularly frustrating, because the are characters that are importnat in Ruby. For example, try searching for anything with a leading colon :

Adam Blum

Oct 6, 2012, 7:01:20 PM10/6/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com, Galvin Rob-CFH463, da...@rhomobile.com
Jon,

So how about a quick email to da...@rhomobile.com when you find such things (with specifics of course), or a GitHub issue. We have multiple dedicated doc writers but we are expanding functionality so fast its difficult for them to keep up. For sure I have hit tons of undocumented Rails stuff (quick: list the names you can't use as attributes in your Rails model). But I love it anyway when writing web apps.

More lighting candles from the community and less darkness cursing would go a long way to making things better.

Adam

Sent from my iPhone

Egghead

Oct 7, 2012, 7:46:12 AM10/7/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
@Jon, still waiting for your blog ...

S Hamid

Oct 7, 2012, 8:19:32 AM10/7/12
to rhom...@googlegroups.com
really jon is coming up with a blog of rhodes? great!