Birkenhead Open Results

Tim Long

Mar 19, 2014, 7:16:31 AM3/19/14
to rg-6...@googlegroups.com

Birkenhead Open 15th March 2014

With the event only being confirmed a couple of weeks ago it was great to see 14 boats line up for the first race of the day.  A mix of A and B rigs approached the start line on a well laid triangular course which took in the top half of the clubhouse side of the lake at the prestigious Birkenhead club.

There was an almost even mix of club members and travellers with two competitors from Wales and several from the Midlands and Yorkshire which gave a mixed ability fleet with some people racing their boats for the first time whilst the club members made good use of their local knowledge to make best use of the sometimes tricky winds.

During the morning session there were a good few people taking first places including John and Liz Tushingham, Tim Long and club member Chris Morrow who had a great event and dominated the club members on the day.

With ten races complete it was time for lunch which was a superb feast that kept the skippers on the ball for the afternoon session.

B rigs prevailed during the afternoon although towards the end of the day the rig selection could have been questioned as a C would have been a better choice as club member Albert Stanley showed us all before his boat sank due to a deck patch coming adrift.

John Tush showed the fleet the way round, Chris Morrow continued his good form as did Liz Tushingham.  Club member Ernie Rice showed some good form during the afternoon session to finish 6th behind Tommy Mills from Fleetwood.  Tim Long struggled upwind with a droopy forestay but still managed the beat well and made good gains down the runs which were, towards the end of the day, becoming more like a scene from “Hunt for Red October” as Joanne Sharpe put it.

Thanks to the Birkenhead club and its members who put on a superb event and special thanks to the race team of Bill, Dave and Colin who as well as keeping us all organised did offer some choice words of encouragement throughout the day!

Results below.

Birkenhead.jpg

Joanne Sharpe

Mar 20, 2014, 4:01:19 AM3/20/14
to rg-6...@googlegroups.com
 A message from a new (beginner) skipper about the day at Birkenhead.

Just do it!!

When I arrived, I was wondering what I'd let myself in for. The Home of Champions it said above the door; the world renowned Birkenhead club

I've done some club racing and the 'Friendly Games' at Southport, but suddenly here I was, this was the real deal.

Cut to 3.30pm. Liz Tushingham said ''what a shame, it's all over' and she summed up the feeling of all of us.

We'd done 20 races on a course that was a real test, in conditions that were really tricky at times and observers calling out the contacts. Yet, whether you'd come first or last, everyone was pleased to have been there. It was a brilliant day.

So, if like me, you are just getting involved in your first season of radio sailing and are wondering if you're up to it, Just do it!!

Joanne