8.2 EAP

citizenmatt

Feb 20, 2014, 6:26:54 AM2/20/14
to resharpe...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks. We've just released a new version of what was the 8.1.1 EAP:

You might have noticed it's now the 8.2 EAP. And that means plugins will need updating.

The 8.1.1/8.2 release has mostly been focussed on improved TypeScript support. It looked like we could introduce everything we wanted to while maintaining backwards compatibility, which is why it started life as 8.1.1. Unfortunately, we've had to introduce some changes to APIs and that means we need to move to 8.2. In many ways, it's just as well, as the number of new TypeScript features warrant a proper update.

But the upshot is that ReSharper will now start looking for plugins in the 8.2 folders in packages - so your existing plugins will need updating.

Here's what you need to know:
  1. Update the SDK nugets. See below
  2. The API changes are minimal. You should be able to just recompile and be done. If not, post here, or ping me on twitter - @citizenmatt and we'll get it sorted
  3. Update your nuspec file:
    • Make the nuspec version pre-release, so users of the stable package aren't prompted to download a new version unnecessarily
    • Add the 8.2 binaries to a path such as ReSharper\v8.2\plugins\myPlugin.dll
    • Include the 8.1 (and optionally 8.0) binaries as they already are. If someone with 8.1 installs the pre-release, we don't want them to lose functionality (note that you don't need to keep source compatibility here - you can build purely for 8.2 and just include the binaries from the last release)
    • Version agnostic files (such as settings or external annotations) should live in a "vAny" folder, e.g. ReSharper\vAny\settings\templates.dotSettings
    • Update the ReSharper dependency to include 8.2. For example, if you're including binaries for 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2, use <dependency id="ReSharper" version="[8.0,8.3)" /> which is all versions from 8.0 inclusive to 8.3 exclusive. Note that if you're not going to include 8.0 binaries, make that "[8.1, 8.3)"
The SDK isn't currently on nuget. I'm hoping to get it there ASAP, but in the meantime, here's a workaround - install the SDK msi from the EAP page. You should do this anyway - it includes the new project templates. Create a scratch project. This will include the 8.2 SDK nuget files, since they're packaged in the project template. You can easily grab them from the scratch project and include them in your own project with a custom nuget source. Apologies for the awkwardness of this, it shouldn't last long.

If you're maintaining source for a couple of versions, make sure you're using nuget 2.8, and you can have multiple packages.config file in a single folder - e.g. packages.xunitcontrib81.config and packages.xunitcontrib82.config. See the 2.8 release notes for more: http://docs.nuget.org/docs/release-notes/nuget-2.8#Individual_packages.config_Files_for_Different_Platforms

If you have any questions, let me know

Thanks!
Matt

citizenmatt

Feb 20, 2014, 9:06:06 AM2/20/14
to resharpe...@googlegroups.com

These are pre-releases, so you won't see them unless you add the pre-release flag.

To update your project, you can just select Updates in the package manager dialog.

Thanks
Matt

citizenmatt

Feb 20, 2014, 4:17:31 PM2/20/14
to resharpe...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean one of the 8.0 reference assemblies is ending up in your bin directory? That's most likely a Copy Local not set to False for the assembly in the project.

On Thursday, 20 February 2014 21:14:47 UTC, Alexander I. Zaytsev wrote:
Hi Matt,

I have a problem with "all projects in one folder" approach - I'm getting the same assembly in each of my projects (from the R# 8.0) - do you know any solutions around it?

citizenmatt

Feb 20, 2014, 4:29:04 PM2/20/14
to resharpe...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had to change the intermediate path, only the bin path or the assembly name - I usually have the ReSharper version in the file name - e.g. CitizenMatt.ReSharper.PreviewTab.8.2.dll

On Thursday, 20 February 2014 21:23:26 UTC, Alexander I. Zaytsev wrote:
Ok, seems that I've been able to fix it. If some-one interested I had to change <BaseIntermediateOutputPath> variable on per-project basis

No, I mean that I'm getting assembly build for R#8.0 in the output folder of R#8.1 and R#8.2

Igr Alexánder Fernández Saúco

Feb 20, 2014, 4:40:22 PM2/20/14
to resharpe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I have problem to upload the new package (8.2 compatible) to the gallery.

There are issues with the gallery?

Best regards,
Alexander.

On 2/20/14, citizenmatt <m.t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> 8.0
> binaries, make that "[8.1, 8.3)"
>
> The SDK isn't currently on nuget. I'm hoping to get it there ASAP, but in
> the meantime, here's a workaround - install the SDK msi from the EAP page.
> You should do this anyway - it includes the new project templates. Create a
>
> scratch project. This will include the 8.2 SDK nuget files, since they're
> packaged in the project template. You can easily grab them from the scratch
>
> project and include them in your own project with a custom nuget source.
> Apologies for the awkwardness of this, it shouldn't last long.
>
> If you're maintaining source for a couple of versions, make sure you're
> using nuget 2.8, and you can have multiple packages.config file in a single
>
> folder - e.g. packages.xunitcontrib81.config and
> packages.xunitcontrib82.config. See the 2.8 release notes for more:

citizenmatt

Feb 21, 2014, 3:34:10 AM2/21/14
to resharpe...@googlegroups.com
Hey. I'm not aware of any issues, although I do see errors in the log. Could you try again for me, please?

And is it a new package or an update to an existing one?

Igr Alexánder Fernández Saúco

Feb 21, 2014, 8:22:22 AM2/21/14
to resharpe...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I will.