Reviewing merge commits in 2.5

Swindells, Thomas

Jul 27, 2012, 5:32:04 AM7/27/12
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion (repo-discuss@googlegroups.com), Shawn Pearce, Martin Fick, bkla...@gmail.com

Hi all,

Brad had done some great work in preparing a patch to allow merge commits to be reviewed within Gerrit properly https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/33960/4.

It looks like it is stuck in code review waiting for Shawn, Martin or one of the other excellent Gerrit developers to give some final guidance on how to polish it off.

Is there any chance that this could be done and for it to be included in the next Gerrit release?

Due to how we have been forced to do our workflows it is a missing feature that is really holding us back and I’d rather not maintain our own branch of Gerrit if we don’t have to.

Thank you,

Thomas

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postm...@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

Edwin Kempin

Jul 27, 2012, 10:49:49 AM7/27/12
to Swindells, Thomas, Repo and Gerrit Discussion (repo-discuss@googlegroups.com), Shawn Pearce, Martin Fick, bkla...@gmail.com
I would like to create the first release candidate for Gerrit 2.5 soon.
There are a couple of open changes which are almost ready and which I want to include:
* Package core plugins in Gerrit war and install them on init [1]
* Add SuggestOracle to SearchPanel [2]
* Option to display line endings [3]
* Increase tracking ID max length to 32 [4]
* Support /a/ for plugin REST APIs [5]

I really like the feature that is implemented by 'Add diff against common ancestor' [6] and would be happy to include into the 2.5 release.
However I would not like to postpone the rc0 in order to wait for this change, but if it gets ready I would be willing to include even for rc1.

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36922
[2] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36932
[3] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36630
[4] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36615
[5] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/37010
[6] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/33960

Luca Milanesio

Jul 27, 2012, 10:56:50 AM7/27/12
to Edwin Kempin, Swindells, Thomas, Repo and Gerrit Discussion (repo-discuss@googlegroups.com), Shawn Pearce, Martin Fick, bkla...@gmail.com
Hi Edwin,

is the audit-hooks candidate going to be included as well ?

All requested changes have been done and reviews completed.
(moreover I will push today the sample implementation plug-in into the hooks-audit project)

@Shawn: your last veto was because of the LOG4J dependency. This has been fixed in the Patch-set#15: everything should be fine now.

Luca.
---
Luca Milanesio
Lu...@Milanesio.org
Mobile: +44-(0)7928-617383
Skype: lucamilanesio

Edwin Kempin

Jul 27, 2012, 11:02:02 AM7/27/12
to Luca Milanesio, Swindells, Thomas, Repo and Gerrit Discussion (repo-discuss@googlegroups.com), Shawn Pearce, Martin Fick, bkla...@gmail.com

2012/7/27 Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>

Hi Edwin,

is the audit-hooks candidate going to be included as well ?
I haven't checked this change yet, if it's ready it can be included.
Looks like Shawn needs to reconsider his veto first.

Luca Milanesio

Jul 27, 2012, 11:05:57 AM7/27/12
to Edwin Kempin, Shawn Pearce, Thomas Swindells, Repo and Gerrit Discussion (repo-discuss@googlegroups.com), Martin Fick, bklarson@gmail.com Larson
@Shawn: happy to proceed ?

Luca.

Chad Horohoe

Aug 6, 2012, 2:34:02 PM8/6/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Edwin Kempin
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Edwin Kempin <edwin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to create the first release candidate for Gerrit 2.5 soon.
> There are a couple of open changes which are almost ready and which I want
> to include:
> * Package core plugins in Gerrit war and install them on init [1]
> * Add SuggestOracle to SearchPanel [2]
> * Option to display line endings [3]
> * Increase tracking ID max length to 32 [4]
> * Support /a/ for plugin REST APIs [5]
>
> I really like the feature that is implemented by 'Add diff against common
> ancestor' [6] and would be happy to include into the 2.5 release.
> However I would not like to postpone the rc0 in order to wait for this
> change, but if it gets ready I would be willing to include even for rc1.
>
> [1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36922
> [2] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36932
> [3] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36630
> [4] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/36615
> [5] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/37010
> [6] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/33960

Looks like the 5 must-haves have all since been approved+merged.
Are there any other major outstanding blockers on branching?

-Chad

Luca Milanesio

Aug 6, 2012, 3:25:11 PM8/6/12
to Chad Horohoe, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Edwin Kempin
What about custom commit validation ?

Do we feel we can finalise / want it in 2.5 ?

Luca.

Chad Horohoe

Aug 6, 2012, 4:38:02 PM8/6/12
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Edwin Kempin
Personally, I'd put that under the "nice to have, but not a blocker
to release" list. But I'm not the boss :)

-Chad

Luca Milanesio

Aug 6, 2012, 5:02:36 PM8/6/12
to Chad Horohoe, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Edwin Kempin
Yep, definitely not a blocker :-)

Luca.

Edwin Kempin

Aug 7, 2012, 5:04:21 AM8/7/12
to Luca Milanesio, Chad Horohoe, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

2012/8/6 Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>
Unfortunately there is a problem with permissions which prevents me
from uploading some of the released artifacts (e.g. the Plugin API
Jar) to the Gerrit Maven repository. At the moment Shawn seems to be
the only one who could do the upload. I'm not sure if and when this
problem can be resolved. This is why for now the release is on hold.

Chad Horohoe

Aug 7, 2012, 11:17:35 AM8/7/12
to Edwin Kempin, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Edwin Kempin <edwin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately there is a problem with permissions which prevents me
> from uploading some of the released artifacts (e.g. the Plugin API
> Jar) to the Gerrit Maven repository. At the moment Shawn seems to be
> the only one who could do the upload. I'm not sure if and when this
> problem can be resolved. This is why for now the release is on hold.

Hopefully this can get sorted out soon. Thank you for the update!

-Chad