Chrome does not load previous Gerrit layout

Khai Do

Jul 26, 2016, 1:55:46 PM7/26/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hello.  I was running Gerrit master and noticed that the Gerrit screen layout has changed.  There seems to be some serious layout problems with this new layout[1] so I wanted to go back to the previous layout however I can't seem to go back.  I built a version that is still on the previous layout but when I load it in chrome i keep getting the newer layout.  When I load this build in either firefox or safari i get the older layout.  Does anybody know about this and how I can get chrome to load the previous layout?  I've tried deleting browser cache+restart and even the cache in the gerrit site but Chrome keeps loading this newer layout.

Jonathan Nieder

Jul 26, 2016, 1:58:32 PM7/26/16
to Khai Do, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Can you say more about the layout change? What did it look like before, what is wrong with the new layout, etc?

If there's a regression then we should just fix it.

Le mar. 26 juil. 2016 à 10:55, Khai Do <zaro...@gmail.com> a écrit :
Hello.  I was running Gerrit master and noticed that the Gerrit screen layout has changed.  There seems to be some serious layout problems with this new layout[1] so I wanted to go back to the previous layout however I can't seem to go back.  I built a version that is still on the previous layout but when I load it in chrome i keep getting the newer layout.  When I load this build in either firefox or safari i get the older layout.  Does anybody know about this and how I can get chrome to load the previous layout?  I've tried deleting browser cache+restart and even the cache in the gerrit site but Chrome keeps loading this newer layout.

Khai Do

Jul 26, 2016, 2:23:47 PM7/26/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zaro...@gmail.com
Sorry, when I say previous layout I mean the layout that was in Gerrit 2.12 or the one on gerrit-review.googlesource.com right now.  I've entered a bug which points out the issues i see: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=4295

Dave Borowitz

Jul 26, 2016, 3:16:35 PM7/26/16
to Khai Do, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I don't think there is a single "new layout" that happened post-2.12.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Khai Do <zaro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry, when I say previous layout I mean the layout that was in Gerrit 2.12 or the one on gerrit-review.googlesource.com right now.

...but gerrit-review is essentially master. So if there were problems with it, you'd see them there.

I've entered a bug which points out the issues i see: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=4295

My first guess is that maybe this is a poor interaction with the custom CSS you're using. Can you try removing your custom header/footer/css and seeing if the problem persists?

Khai Do

Jul 26, 2016, 4:14:54 PM7/26/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zaro...@gmail.com
Thanks for the hint.  I am working on a plugin (verify-status) and apparently the stylesheet[1] that is included with the plugin was interfering with the gerrit layout.  Once I removed the plugin the layout returned to normal.  I'm not sure if this a is a bug or whether it's intended behavior since this didn't seem to happen in the past.  Anyways, thanks again. -Khai

Khai Do

Jul 26, 2016, 4:16:27 PM7/26/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zaro...@gmail.com
ohh also, it's odd that it only happens in Chrome.  It wasn't happening with Firefox or safari.

Björn Pedersen

Jul 27, 2016, 2:46:03 AM7/27/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zaro...@gmail.com
Not very surprising. The css sets quite a lot of  things on 'global' tags. It would be safer it only toches things with plugin scope, so it should ensure that all it adds has some class that identifies it as plugin element.

Björn