IMPORTANT - master has *REMOVED* replication

Shawn Pearce

May 18, 2012, 1:53:55 PM5/18/12
to repo-discuss
The master branch (and thus Gerrit 2.5) no longer supports replication
out of the box. The relevant support has been ejected to a plugin:

https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/replication

If you use replication, you will need to build the plugin and install
it on your server in the plugins/ directory. It uses the same
configuration as before.

Martin Fick

May 18, 2012, 1:56:21 PM5/18/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Shawn Pearce
I think we should plan to host the jar file for the plugin
somewhere. Didn't you say you had some space for that?

-Martin

--
Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. which is a
member of Code Aurora Forum

Dave Borowitz

May 18, 2012, 2:17:14 PM5/18/12
to Martin Fick, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Shawn Pearce
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Martin Fick <mf...@codeaurora.org> wrote:
On Friday, May 18, 2012 11:53:55 am Shawn Pearce wrote:
> The master branch (and thus Gerrit 2.5) no longer
> supports replication out of the box. The relevant
> support has been ejected to a plugin:
>
>   https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/replication
>
> If you use replication, you will need to build the plugin
> and install it on your server in the plugins/ directory.
> It uses the same configuration as before.

I think we should plan to host the jar file for the plugin
somewhere.  Didn't you say you had some space for that?

http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/downloads/list certainly has space, don't know if that's what Shawn had in mind though.

-Martin

--
Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. which is a
member of Code Aurora Forum

Shawn Pearce

May 18, 2012, 3:43:50 PM5/18/12
to Dave Borowitz, Martin Fick, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Dave Borowitz <dbor...@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Martin Fick <mf...@codeaurora.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think we should plan to host the jar file for the plugin
>> somewhere.

Agreed.

>>  Didn't you say you had some space for that?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/downloads/list certainly has space, don't
> know if that's what Shawn had in mind though.

I'm not really happy with the downloads list for organizing plugins.
It would get messy fast.

We have a Google Cloud Storage project for gerrit that hosts the
gerrit-api storage bucket. We can add a gerrit-plugin bucket and host
plugins out of that.

Greg Hurrell

May 27, 2012, 2:46:42 AM5/27/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you provide any tips on how to build the plug-in? (I don't have a lot of experience with the Java toolset and I've probably been spoiled by how easily you can do a simple `mvn package` in the main gerrit repo).

Doing `mvn package` in a clone of the replication repo tells me the "com.google.gerrit:gerrit-plugin-api:jar:2.5-SNAPSHOT" artifact is missing. I get the sense that I'm going to have to build the master branch of the gerrit repo first and somehow let the plugin repo know about it, but I am not sure how.

-Greg

Greg Hurrell

May 27, 2012, 4:36:05 AM5/27/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Just to answer my own question: `mvn install` in the gerrit repo seems to be what is required for `mvn package` to work in the replication repo.

-Greg

Shawn Pearce

May 27, 2012, 1:04:06 PM5/27/12
to Greg Hurrell, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes. We hope to have the plugin API stabilize enough soon that plugins
can peg to a specific version of Gerrit and be built using a pre-built
API, avoiding the need for `mvn install` in the main gerrit tree. But
anytime a plugin wants -SNAPSHOT something, you will need to `mvn
install` in the main Gerrit tree to get the latest and greatest.

Shawn Pearce

Dec 12, 2012, 1:29:38 PM12/12/12
to Arvid E.P., repo-discuss
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Arvid E.P. <darkwin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> should /#/admin/plugins/ display anything when i dropped
> replication-1.0.jar into gerrit/plugins ?
> (yes i restarted)

Yes. The plugin should be registered and listed on this page.

Martin Fick

Dec 18, 2012, 12:49:04 PM12/18/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Manuel Vacelet, Dave Borowitz
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 07:55:53 am Manuel Vacelet
wrote:
> Aside question: was the "pluginification" of replication a
> way to deprecate the functionality or can we rely on it ?

Perhaps, but only in the sense that maybe something better
could come along now (not that anyone has plans that I know
of). I think you are safe to use it, most of the main Gerrit
dev companies (besides Google) use it heavily.

-Martin