Huge set of copied plugins on $GERRIT_SITE/tmp

Luca Milanesio

Oct 8, 2012, 5:54:57 AM10/8/12
to repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Gerrit Discussion
I have experienced many many many (repeated at least 20-30 times) plug-in jar files copied with different time-stamps into $GERRIT_SITE/tmp.
I know this is explicitly done by the PluginLoader for avoiding the JVM to crash when plugin is "hot" updated and then reloaded.

Does anybody have proposals / ideas / suggestions on how to remove them automatically ?

P.S. Think this is key to be resolved before gerrit-2.5 will be released.

Luca.

Shawn Pearce

Oct 8, 2012, 12:49:48 PM10/8/12
to Luca Milanesio, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Gerrit Discussion
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have experienced many many many (repeated at least 20-30 times) plug-in jar files copied with different time-stamps into $GERRIT_SITE/tmp.
> I know this is explicitly done by the PluginLoader for avoiding the JVM to crash when plugin is "hot" updated and then reloaded.
>
> Does anybody have proposals / ideas / suggestions on how to remove them automatically ?

Hmm. I thought we removed them automatically when the plugin was
gracefully stopped by a graceful Gerrit shutdown. But maybe this isn't
true?

We should be able to prune this directory at server startup. Its
supposed to be unique to the site and thus also to the running Gerrit
process. If this Gerrit starts successfully by binding to the ports in
the gerrit.config, no other Gerrit is (probably) running, so we can
prune out any unused JARs.

Luca Milanesio

Oct 8, 2012, 3:09:16 PM10/8/12
to Shawn Pearce, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Gerrit Discussion
Will investigate and fix it in stable-2.5 ;-)

Luca.

Edwin Kempin

Jan 8, 2013, 3:33:00 AM1/8/13
to Luca Milanesio, Shawn Pearce, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Gerrit Discussion
I've pushed several fixes for this for code review [1,2,3].
We still might do what Shawn suggested and cleanup the tmp folder on Gerrit startup.

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/40881
[2] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/40858
[3] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/40870