Automatically copy codereviews@example.com?

Denton Gentry

Mar 28, 2012, 9:57:38 PM3/28/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
My organization uses a codereviews alias which anyone can add themselves to, to watch progress or get an idea of current areas of development. We recently started using Gerrit, and I don't see a way to do this automatically. I don't want to ask all developers to cc an email group it every time they request a review, we'd miss a bunch I'm sure.

The Watched Projects function seems relevant, in that I can copy myself on code reviews matching the criteria. Is there a similar function to watch a project on behalf of a Group?

Luciano Carvalho

Mar 28, 2012, 10:53:08 PM3/28/12
to Denton Gentry, repo-d...@googlegroups.com

We had exactly the same thing on our group.

What we did when we converted to Gerrit was to create a few system accounts that had the email address of a mailing list.

Using those accounts we subscribed to watch the projects' changes/merges we wanted to broadcast.

Users would then subscribe to the mailing lists that would get the kind of info they're interested about and that saves them a lot of time they'd spend setting up several watch rules in Gerrit.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Luciano.

On Mar 28, 2012 9:34 PM, "Denton Gentry" <dge...@google.com> wrote:

> My organization uses a codereviews alias which anyone can add themselves to, to watch progress or get an idea of current areas of development. We recently started using Gerrit, and I don't see a way to do this automatically. I don't want to ask all developers to cc an email group it every time they request a review, we'd miss a bunch I'm sure.
>
> The Watched Projects function seems relevant, in that I can copy myself on code reviews matching the criteria. Is there a similar function to watch a project on behalf of a Group?

Shawn Pearce

Mar 28, 2012, 11:08:26 PM3/28/12
to Denton Gentry, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Luciano Carvalho
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 22:53, Luciano Carvalho <lsca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We had exactly the same thing on our group.
>
> What we did when we converted to Gerrit was to create a few system accounts
> that had the email address of a mailing list.
>
> Using those accounts we subscribed to watch the projects' changes/merges we
> wanted to broadcast.
>
> Users would then subscribe to the mailing lists that would get the kind of
> info they're interested about and that saves them a lot of time they'd spend
> setting up several watch rules in Gerrit.
>
> Hope this is what you're looking for.

Exactly what Luciano said. Since there isn't really a way to do this
from the web UI right now, please open a bug against me to deal with
it.

Denton Gentry

Mar 28, 2012, 11:31:16 PM3/28/12
to Shawn Pearce, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Luciano Carvalho
Filed issue 1311 as a feature request. I can't assign it to anyone, but its in the system.

Luciano Carvalho

Mar 28, 2012, 11:53:15 PM3/28/12
to Denton Gentry, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Shawn Pearce

I assigned it to Shawn.

By the way, -off-topic-, the bug tracker site is really hard to navigate using Chrome on Android 4.0.3. Also, the login on mobile doesn't let me choose between the Corp Google Apps acct or Gmail, like other Gsites do.