gerrit 2.15 - a few issues about wip change in old ui

Makson Lee

Mar 25, 2018, 10:27:43 PM3/25/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

for an wip change, the reply button is still there in old ui.

if you review a change, and then set the status back to wip, you will get merge conflict error in old ui.

Matthew Webber

Mar 26, 2018, 4:59:28 AM3/26/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

for an wip change, the reply button is still there in old ui

Is that an error? I presume that people are still allowed to comment on a change, even if is WIP, so the rely button _should_ be there.
In 2.14, if a draft is visible to me, then the "Reply" button is too.
Matthew

Makson Lee

Mar 26, 2018, 5:54:59 AM3/26/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
so in the new ui, we should have the reply button too? i just can't find it.

Matthew Webber

Mar 26, 2018, 6:08:55 AM3/26/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
so in the new ui, we should have the reply button too? i just can't find it.
Correct. If it's visible in the old UI, it should be visible in the new UI also (and visa versa), for the same person (i.e. the same permissions).

I just had a look at my test 2.15rc4 install, and everything looked ok there, but of course my setup (and permissions) might be different to yours.
Can you confirm that you're running the latest 2.15 release candidate (rc4)?

Matthew

Makson Lee

Mar 26, 2018, 6:42:35 AM3/26/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
okay, figured it out, if i am not the owner of change, i can see reply button, if i am the owner of change and i want to verify +1, i should click on start review button, verify +1, and then save it.

Gert van Dijk

Mar 26, 2018, 6:54:13 AM3/26/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I agree that the WIP-shown-as-merge-conflict issue is very counter-intuitive. The old UI has received changes to support the new workflow in terms of buttons to change the state etc, so I consider this a bug.

I could not find an issue in the tracker for this. Please file a bug report! https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/

Makson Lee

Mar 26, 2018, 9:18:34 PM3/26/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
a bug [1] for this issue has been filed.

Makson Lee

Mar 26, 2018, 11:10:59 PM3/26/18
On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 4:59:28 PM UTC+8, Matthew Webber wrote:

for an wip change, the reply button is still there in old ui

Is that an error? I presume that people are still allowed to comment on a change, even if is WIP, so the rely button _should_ be there.

the user can also review +2 on an wip change, so what does "start review" button mean, just unmarks wip status?

Matthew Webber

Mar 27, 2018, 12:41:19 PM3/27/18
On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 02:18:34 UTC+1, Makson Lee wrote:
a bug [1] for this issue has been filed.

Thanks. This might be a blocker for 2.15.
Matthew

Matthew Webber

Apr 24, 2018, 5:15:15 AM4/24/18

[1] https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=8643

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 6:54:13 PM UTC+8, Gert van Dijk wrote:
I agree that the WIP-shown-as-merge-conflict issue is very counter-intuitive. The old UI has received changes to support the new workflow in terms of buttons to change the state etc, so I consider this a bug

It doesn't look like anyone has picked up this ticket. Although it only affects people who are using 2.15.x with the old UI, it's an annoying one.

I notice that the problem does not exist on https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com, which is a running a (modified) master, so either the fix is already done, and just needs cherry-picking back to 2.15-stable, or else it's too complex to fix on 2.15. I don't know which. Are any Gerrit developers able to pick up on this?

David Pursehouse

Apr 25, 2018, 12:27:32 AM4/25/18
to Matthew Webber, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
It turns out this wasn't fixed on master, which is why I could not find it.  Long story short: it's now fixed and will be included in 2.15.2.

See the discussion on the issue for more details.

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2018, 2:28:57 AM4/25/18
to David Pursehouse, Matthew Webber, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
This isn’t the first time we fix first on master and then on stable: happy to revise the process if that is what we want :-)

Luca

Sent from my iPhone

David Pursehouse

Apr 25, 2018, 3:45:57 AM4/25/18
to luca.mi...@gmail.com, Matthew Webber, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 3:28 PM <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
This isn’t the first time we fix first on master and then on stable: happy to revise the process if that is what we want :-)

Just to clarify.  It was NOT fixed on master; people thought it was because they were not seeing the issue on gerrit-review, but it turned out that the conditions to reproduce it were not well understood.

My fixes went to stable-2.15.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 25, 2018, 4:28:49 AM4/25/18
to David Pursehouse, Luca Milanesio, Matthew Webber, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On 25 Apr 2018, at 08:45, David Pursehouse <david.pu...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 3:28 PM <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
This isn’t the first time we fix first on master and then on stable: happy to revise the process if that is what we want :-)

Just to clarify.  It was NOT fixed on master; people thought it was because they were not seeing the issue on gerrit-review, but it turned out that the conditions to reproduce it were not well understood.

My fixes went to stable-2.15.

Ah, misread the e-mail :-) No change to the process needed then !!

Luca.