Syntax color scheme ....

jamesl

Sep 5, 2012, 6:12:45 PM9/5/12
to redline-...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Jeff Heon has given us an intellij plugin that can do Smalltalk syntax highlighting so can I have your thoughts on Syntax
colors for Smalltalk? We should also acknowledge the help we received from Konstantin Bulenkov from Idea.

Please can you reply here with some code examples that you have marked up with color, italics and
bolding (if appropriate) - you can use the Redline runtime source as a starting point for code
examples.

I'll do mine today and get back to you for discussion.

- James.

Message has been deleted

Jeff Heon

Dec 16, 2012, 9:02:59 PM12/16/12
to redline-...@googlegroups.com
Obviously I need to finish the doc for Sean and the run-as functionality first, but I've come across what looks like great a color scheme for Redline! (Got the reference from the Clojure gazette.)

http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

I might integrate them directly into STRiDE or there is already some kind of theme intellij plugin.

James Ladd

Dec 16, 2012, 9:12:02 PM12/16/12
to redline-...@googlegroups.com
Solarized is certainly a nice scheme.

What we need to work out is how that scheme can be applied to enhance the understanding of
the Smalltalk syntax.

I'll also give some thought to how this might play out with the Pharo people who are used to
white backgrounds.

Jeff Heon

Dec 17, 2012, 7:41:59 AM12/17/12
to redline-...@googlegroups.com
+1 thousand in using using a color scheme to further the understanding of Smalltalk syntax 8)

Your Pharo comment makes me think of having a default white background and a separate solarized theme.

I'll ping you again when I get there in 2013 8)

James Ladd

Dec 17, 2012, 3:28:09 PM12/17/12
to redline-...@googlegroups.com
Mate if I don't speak to you before, you have a great and safe Christmas.
I hope you and those close to you have a fantastic 2013

James Ladd

Dec 29, 2012, 12:05:37 AM12/29/12
to redline-...@googlegroups.com
Response inline ....

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM, JONNALAGADDA Srinivas <j...@ojuslabs.com> wrote:

On Monday, December 17, 2012 7:42:02 AM UTC+5:30, jamesl wrote:
Solarized is certainly a nice scheme.

What we need to work out is how that scheme can be applied to enhance the understanding of
the Smalltalk syntax.

Agreed.

1. Quick question James: which editor do you use for Java, and which for Smalltalk (if it is a different one)?  Just curious!  If I were to guess based on `.gitignore', you may be using NetBeans on a Mac, for Java.

I use IntelliJ with the Redline plugin - of course ;)
For all languages I code.

2. I am currently using Emacs for Smalltalk, with GNU Smalltalk's major mode.  Is there a better major mode that anyone is aware of?

Sean? (Sean is an emacs user and I think he did a theme for Redline.)

3. I usually use Eclipse for Java.  Could you kindly add `.metadata' to `.gitigore' please?

Yep

        By the way, my environment is a 64-bit Linux Mint 14 KDE.  Just for the record!

-- |0|0|

PS: Re-joining the list from the e-mail address associated with my GitHub account.

I use Ubuntu 64bit and I am one of the rare people happy with unity ;)

JONNALAGADDA Srinivas

Dec 29, 2012, 12:19:20 AM12/29/12
to redline-...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:35:37 AM UTC+5:30, jamesl wrote:
Response inline ....

I use IntelliJ with the Redline plugin - of course ;)
For all languages I code.

        My guess was wrong on both counts, then :-(.

3. I usually use Eclipse for Java.  Could you kindly add `.metadata' to `.gitigore' please?

Yep

        Thanks.  [By the way, that was obviously supposed to be `.gitignore', not `.gitigore'!]

-- |0|0|