[release] Redis 2.8.18 is out.

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Dec 4, 2014, 5:53:03 AM12/4/14
to Redis DB
Hi all,

Redis 2.8.18 is out, and focuses on adding new features (!).
So... highlights covered here in more details:

1) Diskless replication.

What about a full blog post? http://antirez.com/news/81

However Diskless replication is experimental, and even normal
replication undergone major refactoring. This is the reason why you
had to wait so much for 2.8.18, it was stress tested for a bit of
time.

With diskless replication you can improve operations when replication
is used in environments where the master has persistence disabled
because of disk pressure concerns. Now slaves (if diskless replication
is on) will not trigger disk I/O on the master, but will still trigger
a fork() and RDB creation. However the RDB is streamed via network and
not materialized on a file.

This also may help when AOF is used on the master, since there will no
longer be a child process competing for disk resources.

2) Lua scripting got better thanks to Matt.

Now there is support for bit operations (yet to be documented,
sorry!), it's the old good API introduced before Lua got native
support in recent releases.

Also msgpack and json libraries got fixes and updates. There are also
a number of new tests in this area.

3) Transparent Huge Pages warnings.

If you have THP enabled, that are the cause of most non obvious
latency issues out there, Redis will warn you in the logs and in the
LATENCY DOCTOR output.

4) Bandwidth tracking.

We now have instantaneous and total bandwidth tracking in the INFO output.

5) PFCOUNT on slaves is now usable.

7) Redis-cli issues in certain terminals should be fixed now.

About redis-cli, Matt Stancliff fixed an old bug that was hard to
track. Basically redis-cli after long timeouts was not able to
connect, but died once you hit enter. Fixed, finally \o/.

That's the full changelog:

--[ Redis 2.8.18 ] Release date: 4 Dec 2014

# UPGRADE URGENCY: LOW for both Redis and Sentinel. This release mostly
adds new features to Redis, and contains non critical
fixes.

* [FIX] Linenoise updated to be more VT100 compatible. (Salvatore Sanfilippo)
* [FIX] A number of typos fixed inside comments. (Various authors)
* [FIX] redis-cli no longer quits after long timeouts. (Matt Stancliff)
* [FIX] Test framework improved to detect never terminating scripts, cleanup
instances on crashes. (Salvatore Sanfilippo)
* [FIX] PFCOUNT can be used on slaves now. (Salvatore Sanfilippo)
* [FIX] ZSCAN no longer report very small scores as 0. (Matt Stancliff,
Michael Grunder, Salvatore Sanfilippo)
* [FIX] Don't show the ASCII logo if syslog is enabled. Redis is now
an Enterprise Grade product. (Salvatore Sanfilippo)

* [NEW] EXPERIMENTAL: Diskless replication, for more info check the doc at
http://redis.io/topics/replication. (Salvatore Sanfilippo).
* [NEW] Transparent Huge Pages detection and reporting in logs and
LATENCY DOCTOR output. (Salvatore Sanfilippo)
* [NEW] Many Lua scripting enhancements: Bitops API, cjson upgrade and tests,
cmsgpack upgrade. (Matt Stancliff)
* [NEW] Total and instantaneous Network bandwidth tracking in INFO.
* [NEW] DEBUG POPULATE two args form implemented (old form still works).
The second argument is the key prefix. Default is "key:" (Salvatore
Sanfilippo)
* [NEW] Check that tcp-backlog is matched by /proc/sys/net/core/somaxconn, and
warn about it if not. (Salvatore Sanfilippo)

Regards,
Salvatore

--
Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - GoPivotal

"Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is."
— German proverb

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Dec 4, 2014, 6:02:31 AM12/4/14
to Redis DB
p.s. actually we have Lua bitops doc thanks to Jan-Erik aka @badboy_,
just merged, EVAL doc updated. Thanks Jan-Erik!

Kevin Burton

Apr 9, 2015, 10:40:49 AM4/9/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
I have 3.0 and I am getting a warning about THP.

The warning:

1101:M 09 Apr 09:37:13.991 # WARNING you have Transparent Huge Pages (THP) suppo
rt enabled in your kernel. This will create latency and memory usage issues with
 Redis. To fix this issue run the command 'echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transpare
nt_hugepage/enabled' as root, and add it to your /etc/rc.local in order to retai
n the setting after a reboot. Redis must be restarted after THP is disabled.

The setting:

kevin@kevin-VirtualBox:~$ cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
always madvise [never]

Ideas?

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Apr 9, 2015, 10:58:54 AM4/9/15
to Redis DB
On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Kevin Burton <rkevin...@charter.net> wrote:
> Redis must be restarted after THP is disabled.

What about "Redis must be restarted after THP is disabled."? Maybe the
setting was modified after Redis was started?

Salvatore

--
Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - Pivotal http://pivotal.io

"If a system is to have conceptual integrity, someone must control the
concepts."
— Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month", 1975.

Kevin Burton

Apr 9, 2015, 11:04:15 AM4/9/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
I have rebooted many times and I get the same warning.

Stefan Parvu

Apr 9, 2015, 1:42:16 PM4/9/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com

> I have 3.0 and I am getting a warning about THP.
> The warning:
> 1101:M 09 Apr 09:37:13.991 # WARNING you have Transparent Huge Pages (THP)
> suppo
> rt enabled in your kernel. This will create latency and memory usage issues

Is this warning platform specific - Linux only ? How about FreeBSD -
Transparent Superpages which is enabled by default ... ?

$ sysctl vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled
vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled: 1

--
Stefan Parvu <spa...@kronometrix.org>