Wet or Dry Sandpaper Multi-grit pack?

Bill

Feb 5, 2010, 12:59:52 PM2/5/10
I've got a granite block and am set to try the "Scary Sharp" sharpening
technique on my planes and chisels.

I'll evidently require most of the standard grits of Wet or Dry (silicon
carbide) Sandpaper between 100 and 1200 (or so).

I obviously don't need box of 50 sheets of 100 grit, and 50 sheets of
150 grit, etc. (at $17.95 a box...).

Can anyone refer me to a site (or store) where I will be able to buy
several grits in a package (like 100, 150, 220), or (320, 500, 800), or
by the sheet, or any other way that makes more sense for my present needs.

Thank you,
Bill

hex

Feb 5, 2010, 1:10:07 PM2/5/10

No ideas for pre-built kits.
Try a good auto parts store, a body shop or an auto-body shop
supplier. Make nice with the folks at a body shop and they'll
possibly help you out.

hex
-30-

Norman Billingham

Feb 5, 2010, 1:35:37 PM2/5/10

"Bill" <Bill_...@comast.net> wrote in message

Try

http://www.abrasivesplus.com

They do mixed packs of most things.

Bill

Feb 5, 2010, 1:53:40 PM2/5/10

Looks like a nice site (in England). Maybe they have a U.S. counterpart?

CW

Feb 5, 2010, 2:33:02 PM2/5/10

"Bill" <Bill_...@comast.net> wrote in message

Any good hardware store (Lowes and Home Depot don't count) will sell
individual sheets. If none of those around, go to an auto parts store.

Nova

Feb 5, 2010, 2:53:06 PM2/5/10
CW wrote:

You'd be hard pressed to find anything finer than 400 grit at any of the
Borg's in my area. The auto parts store is a better idea. Look in the
automotive painting supplies section of the store.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Bill

Feb 5, 2010, 3:02:14 PM2/5/10

Yes, At Menards, the ONLY sheets of wet or dry sandpaper in stock were
400 grit. Thanks, Bill

CW

Feb 5, 2010, 3:10:28 PM2/5/10

"Nova" <nov...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> CW wrote:
>>

>> Any good hardware store (Lowes and Home Depot don't count) will sell
>> individual sheets. If none of those around, go to an auto parts store.
>
> You'd be hard pressed to find anything finer than 400 grit at any of the
> Borg's in my area. >

That's what I said, read it again.

Nonny

Feb 5, 2010, 3:20:04 PM2/5/10

"Nova" <nov...@verizon.net> wrote in message

At what grit do you start using a lubricant, and what do you use?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Nova

Feb 5, 2010, 3:49:47 PM2/5/10
Nonny wrote:

>> You'd be hard pressed to find anything finer than 400 grit at any of
>> the Borg's in my area. The auto parts store is a better idea. Look
>> in the automotive painting supplies section of the store.
>>
>> --
>> Jack Novak
>> Buffalo, NY - USA
>> nov...@verizon.net
>

> At what grit do you start using a lubricant, and what do you use?

I use water when I get to the Wet/Dry grits.

Nonny

Feb 5, 2010, 5:00:09 PM2/5/10

"Nova" <nov...@verizon.net> wrote in message

That's what I did as well. I kept a bunch of planed wood blocks
handy, cut to work with quarter sheets of paper, and used them for
leveling. When used wet, however, don't forget to use a fresh
backing block that hasn't warped.

Leon

Feb 5, 2010, 5:48:22 PM2/5/10

"Bill" <Bill_...@comast.net> wrote in message

Best bet will be to go to a "auto PAINT" supplier.

Michael Kenefick

Feb 5, 2010, 5:56:35 PM2/5/10
I get sheets of sandpaper in a multi pack at HFT. After the snow, I
will try to get to my garage, find the grits and SKU. Maybe 100, 150,
600 (800?), 1200, 1600?? I used mine to polish nails for pine wood
derby cars.

Mike in Ohio

Bill

Feb 6, 2010, 2:37:19 PM2/6/10

"Bill" <Bill_...@comast.net> wrote in message

This looks like a nice consumer-friendly source for sandpaper, with a broad
range of choices, in case anyone else is interested. It was not
particularly easy to find, so I suggest that you save the link if you may
need it.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/E814FCD0/mac/subgrp.mac/subGroupSelection?lenGrpDsc=6SHEETSABRASIVE%20SHEETS-%20ALL%20SIZES

Their owning corporation makes the adhesive backed paper which is in the
sharpening kits sold by Rockler. Bythe way, at least one writer describing
the "Scary Sharp" system was negative about this advesive backed paper since
it was not of uniform thickness. He wrote that soaking the "wet or dry"
paper in water for an hour or two and then using the "capillary action" of
the water was sufficient.

I have one question: in some versions of "Scary Sharp", like on a Woodsmith
episode (repeat) I recently watched, they start off with 80 and 120 grit of
Aluminum Oxide sandpaper and then move to Silicon Carbide paper. What is
the advantage of starting with Aluminum Oxide--is it a "kinder and gentler"
abrasive compound???

Bill

Lew Hodgett

Feb 6, 2010, 2:46:22 PM2/6/10

"Bill" wrote:

> http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/E814FCD0/mac/subgrp.mac/subGroupSelection?lenGrpDsc=6SHEETSABRASIVE%20SHEETS-%20ALL%20SIZES

----------------------
My primary supplier.

Very competitive if you meet $50 minimum per order, otherwise not so
good.

Lew

Bill

Feb 6, 2010, 3:17:08 PM2/6/10

"Lew Hodgett" <sails...@verizon.net> wrote in message

I assume you mean because of the "$7.99 flat shipping fee" (I did not see
"$50 minimum order" anywhere, but I have not completed my order yet either).
The paper I anticipate ordering came to $34 for 45 sheets with grits 80 to
2000.
$7.99 shipping still keeps it under $1 sheet. If I run accross a better
source, I'll post it. It's nice to know you have some experience with them
Lew.

Bill

J. Clarke

Feb 6, 2010, 3:38:43 PM2/6/10

Go by any chain auto parts store (Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone, NAPA, Pep
Boys, etc) and they should have sandpaper in 5 sheet packs going up to 2000
grit or so for about 5 bucks a pack. It's a standard 3M packaging and any
store that sells 3m wet or dry should have them.

Martin H. Eastburn

Feb 6, 2010, 11:27:09 PM2/6/10
I buy from :
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/

The paper is cloth and some paper - and is sealed resin.
Quality belts, sheets. They have boxes of short rolls.
When a master roll that makes sanding belts is short -
it is sold in boxes at good prices. Fine and medium is
best. Large grits in medium and large.

Martin

Larry Jaques

Feb 6, 2010, 11:33:20 PM2/6/10
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:59:52 -0500, the infamous Bill
<Bill_...@comast.net> scrawled the following:

eBay. Go for a set of 2x6 diamond hones. I prefer DMT, but EzeLap or
Chinese plates will work, too, especially since you're using
ScarySharp paper last. I'm too lazy to be a purist any more so I skip
grits and don't require a surface plate. Any old piece of MDF will do
for me. 'Course, I can't split atoms when I wave my plane irons
around, but that's -quite- OK by me.

http://fwd4.me/EgY Ten bucks for a 150/600 plate, delivered. I'd get
one of these to keep in the truck but I sprung for a DMT paddle set
last year.

Repairs go on the 300 grit plate.
Dull irons hit the 600 first.
Then I use 1,200 paper and use
Lee Valley's green compound on a leather strop to finish up.

I believe I purchased my 1,200 grit paper at NAPA Auto Parts. If you
don't have one handy, try any auto body shop supply. Most tool mart
places have diamond hones, too, should you dislike eBay.

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.

Larry Jaques

Feb 6, 2010, 11:34:20 PM2/6/10
On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:33:02 -0800, the infamous "CW"
<cmagers@earthlink...net> scrawled the following:

The last time I looked, Blowes had 330 and HD 400 grit as their finest
papers. <shrug>

Phisherman

Feb 7, 2010, 9:47:46 AM2/7/10
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:59:52 -0500, Bill <Bill_...@comast.net>
wrote:

Generally you pay more for sandpaper in smaller quantities. I know
WalMart sells 3M sandpaper packs in various grits. Home Depot sells
Norton, which I don't think it is quite as good as the 3M. Buying
150 and 220 grit in 50-count packs would make sense--these grits are
most often used. I keep extra papers weighted down to prevent the
corner from curling--other than that, sandpaper doesn't have a shelf
life. I like the cloth-backed sandpaper which is a red-pink color,
more expensive, but it lasts 2 or 3 times longer than the paper type.

CW

Feb 7, 2010, 11:54:32 AM2/7/10

"Larry Jaques" <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:33:02 -0800, the infamous "CW"
> <cmagers@earthlink...net> scrawled the following:
>

>>"Bill" <Bill_...@comast.net> wrote in message
>>> I've got a granite block and am set to try the "Scary Sharp" sharpening
>>> technique on my planes and chisels.
>>>
>>> I'll evidently require most of the standard grits of Wet or Dry (silicon
>>> carbide) Sandpaper between 100 and 1200 (or so).
>>>
>>> I obviously don't need box of 50 sheets of 100 grit, and 50 sheets of
>>> 150
>>> grit, etc. (at $17.95 a box...).
>>>
>>> Can anyone refer me to a site (or store) where I will be able to buy
>>> several grits in a package (like 100, 150, 220), or (320, 500, 800), or
>>> by the sheet, or any other way that makes more sense for my present
>>> needs.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Bill
>>
>>Any good hardware store (Lowes and Home Depot don't count) will sell
>>individual sheets. If none of those around, go to an auto parts store.
>
> The last time I looked, Blowes had 330 and HD 400 grit as their finest
> papers. <shrug>

Last time I looked to, that's why I said that.