Stay in LA

Ricky Wong

Jan 28, 2003, 5:47:57ā€ÆAM1/28/03
I've posted a message on this forum about my coming trip to LA. Now
I've almost finalized my plan but still have something outstanding
regarding where to stay in LA. Below is my schedule :

Day 1 (Sat) - Arrive LAX -> Stay and tour around Santa Monica
Day 2 - Check out hotel in Santa Monica, then goto another hotel in
either LA downtown or Monterey Park -> work around LA downtown,
Hollywood, or other places near centre of LA
Day 3 - Goto Disneyland via MTA 460
Day 4 - Goto Six Flags Magic mountain via local tour (other than
driving myself, I can't find any other means to go there)
Day 5 - Check out hotel in LA and join another local tour to visit Las
Vegas
Day 7 - Local tour will bring me back to LA and I'll then goto Airport
that night to catch up a freight at 11:30 PM

My question is : where should I stay in LA (for 3 nights) ? I've two
choices - either near downtown (e.g. Holiday Inn City Centre,
Figuorea) or near Monterey Park (e.g. Best Western Monterey Park,
Lincoln Plaza, etc.).

What sort of area of downtown looks like ? Is it a commercial place ?
Or have many places for tourist to walk around ? Some people said it
isn't safe at night, is it ?

Some agents strongly recommend me to stay in Lincoln Plaza but it is a
bit far and it will cause extra inconvenience on day 2 and 3 (and may
be day 4 as well) because it takes almost an hour to travel from
Monterey Park to download with MTA.

Look forward for any reply. Any suggestions on hotel is welcome too.

Keith Willshaw

Jan 28, 2003, 6:50:40ā€ÆAM1/28/03

"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> I've posted a message on this forum about my coming trip to LA. Now
> I've almost finalized my plan but still have something outstanding
> regarding where to stay in LA. Below is my schedule :
>
> Day 1 (Sat) - Arrive LAX -> Stay and tour around Santa Monica
> Day 2 - Check out hotel in Santa Monica, then goto another hotel in
> either LA downtown or Monterey Park -> work around LA downtown,
> Hollywood, or other places near centre of LA

Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica, there really isnt much
for a tourist in the downtown area, its a business district.

You can probably pick up an LA Tour in Santa Monica
if you dont want to drive

> Day 3 - Goto Disneyland via MTA 460
> Day 4 - Goto Six Flags Magic mountain via local tour (other than
> driving myself, I can't find any other means to go there)

Why not stay in Anaheim local to Disneyland ?

> Day 5 - Check out hotel in LA and join another local tour to visit Las
> Vegas
> Day 7 - Local tour will bring me back to LA and I'll then goto Airport
> that night to catch up a freight at 11:30 PM

Why not catch a SW Airlines flight from LAX to Las Vegas ?

> My question is : where should I stay in LA (for 3 nights) ? I've two
> choices - either near downtown (e.g. Holiday Inn City Centre,
> Figuorea) or near Monterey Park (e.g. Best Western Monterey Park,
> Lincoln Plaza, etc.).
>
> What sort of area of downtown looks like ?

Office Blocks

> Is it a commercial place ?

Yes

> Or have many places for tourist to walk around ?

Not many

> Some people said it
> isn't safe at night, is it ?

It used to be a bit flaky but may have been cleaned up
but its not a place for nightlife

> Some agents strongly recommend me to stay in Lincoln Plaza but it is a
> bit far and it will cause extra inconvenience on day 2 and 3 (and may
> be day 4 as well) because it takes almost an hour to travel from
> Monterey Park to download with MTA.

Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica the first 2 nights
and then move to Anaheim where most of the hotels
operate a free shuttle to Disneyland and offer
tours to Magic Mountain , Vegas etc

Keith

Peter L

Jan 28, 2003, 11:40:23ā€ÆAM1/28/03
You said "work" around downtown. Does that mean you have to work around
that area, or tour around that area?

I'd suggest Lincoln plaza, which caters to Asian tourists, rather than
downtown LA. You can just walk to plenty of excellent Chinese restaurants
from Lincoln Plaza. And you can catch tours to all the places you mentioned
from Lincoln Plaza.

Ricky Wong

Jan 28, 2003, 11:58:31ā€ÆAM1/28/03
> > I've posted a message on this forum about my coming trip to LA. Now
> > I've almost finalized my plan but still have something outstanding
> > regarding where to stay in LA. Below is my schedule :
> >
> > Day 1 (Sat) - Arrive LAX -> Stay and tour around Santa Monica
> > Day 2 - Check out hotel in Santa Monica, then goto another hotel in
> > either LA downtown or Monterey Park -> work around LA downtown,
> > Hollywood, or other places near centre of LA
>
> Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica, there really isnt much
> for a tourist in the downtown area, its a business district.

This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in US
looks like. In addition, aren't those places like Hollywood, Century City
and Getty Center in west side worth visit ?

However, I do agree that there are not much places to be visited in downtown
area ...

> You can probably pick up an LA Tour in Santa Monica
> if you dont want to drive
>
> > Day 3 - Goto Disneyland via MTA 460
> > Day 4 - Goto Six Flags Magic mountain via local tour (other than
> > driving myself, I can't find any other means to go there)
>
> Why not stay in Anaheim local to Disneyland ?

Anaheim is closed to Disneyland, but not anything else. As I only plan to
play around Disney for one day. I'm not sure whether it is worth to stay
there overnight.

> > Day 5 - Check out hotel in LA and join another local tour to visit Las
> > Vegas
> > Day 7 - Local tour will bring me back to LA and I'll then goto Airport
> > that night to catch up a freight at 11:30 PM
> >

> Why not catch a SW Airlines flight from LAX to Las Vegas ?

Besides the core parts of Las Vegas, those local tour also include visit to
Grand Canyon, Lenwood outlet, etc. These places do look interesting to me
but I'm not sure whether I can manage the entire trip myself given my
limited time and I don't plan to drive.

y question is : where should I stay in LA (for 3 nights) ? I've two
> > choices - either near downtown (e.g. Holiday Inn City Centre,
> > Figuorea) or near Monterey Park (e.g. Best Western Monterey Park,
> > Lincoln Plaza, etc.).
> >
> > What sort of area of downtown looks like ?
>
> Office Blocks
>
> > Is it a commercial place ?
>
> Yes
>
> > Or have many places for tourist to walk around ?
>
> Not many
>
> > Some people said it
> > isn't safe at night, is it ?
> >

> It used to be a bit flaky but may have been cleaned up
> but its not a place for nightlife
>

> > Some agents strongly recommend me to stay in Lincoln Plaza but it is a
> > bit far and it will cause extra inconvenience on day 2 and 3 (and may
> > be day 4 as well) because it takes almost an hour to travel from
> > Monterey Park to download with MTA.
> >

> Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica the first 2 nights
> and then move to Anaheim where most of the hotels
> operate a free shuttle to Disneyland and offer
> tours to Magic Mountain , Vegas etc

I'll consider your suggestions ... at least consider to stay in Santa Monica
for 1 more night. :)

> Keith

Ricky Wong

Jan 28, 2003, 12:02:21ā€ÆPM1/28/03
Sorry for my typo ... it should be "walk around". :)

For local tours, it seems that it is not easy to find one for Six Flags
Magic Mountain. I've checked a few Chinese agents over the Internet and they
only organize tours to this place with at least a group of 5 people.

"Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> ꒰åÆ«ę–¼éƒµä»¶ę–°čž
:b16bpp$106e9d$1...@ID-110472.news.dfncis.de...

Peter L

Jan 28, 2003, 12:28:25ā€ÆPM1/28/03

> Sorry for my typo ... it should be "walk around". :)
>
> For local tours, it seems that it is not easy to find one for Six Flags
> Magic Mountain. I've checked a few Chinese agents over the Internet and
they
> only organize tours to this place with at least a group of 5 people.

When you check into the hotel, there'll be a display of brochures for all
kinds of tours. I am quite sure they can find 5 or more people to go to
Magic Mountain with you. They'll pick up from several hotels in the area
and organize a tour, probably on a daily basis. No problem.

Keith Willshaw

Jan 28, 2003, 12:42:27ā€ÆPM1/28/03

"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> Sorry for my typo ... it should be "walk around". :)
>
> For local tours, it seems that it is not easy to find one for Six Flags
> Magic Mountain. I've checked a few Chinese agents over the Internet and
they
> only organize tours to this place with at least a group of 5 people.

see
http://www.specialeventsservices.com/sixflags.htm
http://www.allanaheimtours.com/Body.asp?Page=TourDetails&tour=ANA-B0014
http://a-zanaheim.com/attractions.htm

There really should be no problem ,companies
typically pick up fom a number of hotels in the Anaheim and
Santa Monica areas

Keith

Miguel Cruz

Jan 28, 2003, 1:41:37ā€ÆPM1/28/03
Ricky Wong <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in US
> looks like.

Then go to San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia - even Boston.

Los Angeles is more typical of a suburb than a big city.

miguel
Latest addition: 80 photos from Guatemala

azz...@olypen.com

Jan 28, 2003, 2:25:45ā€ÆPM1/28/03

Keith Willshaw wrote:

> Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica the first 2 nights
> and then move to Anaheim where most of the hotels
> operate a free shuttle to Disneyland and offer
> tours to Magic Mountain , Vegas etc

I'd second this. You really don't want to stay in either downtown LA or
Monterey Park.

Peter L

Jan 28, 2003, 2:33:00ā€ÆPM1/28/03

<azz...@olypen.com> wrote in message news:3E36D939...@olypen.com...

Why is that? I can understand downtown LA. But why not Monterey Park,
where there are some of the best Chinese restaurants in the US?

Paul Tauger

Jan 28, 2003, 4:59:17ā€ÆPM1/28/03

"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> I've posted a message on this forum about my coming trip to LA. Now
> I've almost finalized my plan but still have something outstanding
> regarding where to stay in LA. Below is my schedule :
>
> Day 1 (Sat) - Arrive LAX -> Stay and tour around Santa Monica
> Day 2 - Check out hotel in Santa Monica, then goto another hotel in
> either LA downtown or Monterey Park -> work around LA downtown,
> Hollywood, or other places near centre of LA
> Day 3 - Goto Disneyland via MTA 460
> Day 4 - Goto Six Flags Magic mountain via local tour (other than
> driving myself, I can't find any other means to go there)
> Day 5 - Check out hotel in LA and join another local tour to visit Las
> Vegas
> Day 7 - Local tour will bring me back to LA and I'll then goto Airport
> that night to catch up a freight at 11:30 PM
>
> My question is : where should I stay in LA (for 3 nights) ? I've two
> choices - either near downtown (e.g. Holiday Inn City Centre,
> Figuorea) or near Monterey Park (e.g. Best Western Monterey Park,
> Lincoln Plaza, etc.).
>
> What sort of area of downtown looks like ? Is it a commercial place ?

Downtown LA is mostly office buildings on the west side, and cheap
stores/commercial buildings/skid row on the east side. With the exception
of the area around the music center, it is mostly deserted at night.

> Or have many places for tourist to walk around ?

Definitely not.

>Some people said it
> isn't safe at night, is it ?

It depends on where you are. The Music Center itself is perfectly safe. I
wouldn't venture far from it, though. The office building area is probably
okay, but there's nothing open at night. Definitely avoid the
commercial/skid row area.

> Some agents strongly recommend me to stay in Lincoln Plaza but it is a
> bit far and it will cause extra inconvenience on day 2 and 3 (and may
> be day 4 as well) because it takes almost an hour to travel from
> Monterey Park to download with MTA.

Monterey Park is a small city to the east of Los Angeles. It has a huge
Chinese population (along with Alhambra, an adjacent city). Monterey Park
is not particularly convenient to downtown Los Angeles, or to the west Los
Angeles, which is where most of the LA attractions are to be found. It is,
however, a relatively safe area and features the best Chinese restaurants in
Southern California.

I believe you mentioned you were coming from Hong Kong (sorry if I got this
wrong). If so, you'll find Monterey Park disappointing -- it's
architecturally uninteresting, and Hong Kong has much better restaurants.
However, for most western visitors to LA, Monterey Park itself can be quite
interesting to visit because of the number of Asian shops and restaurants.

> Look forward for any reply. Any suggestions on hotel is welcome too.

I wish I could suggest something specific, but I'm not sufficiently familiar
with specific hotels to make a recommendation. My usual advice is to look
for something on the west side, either West Los Angeles or Santa Monica.
Hollywood might be a better altenative to downtown LA, though parts of
Hollywood can get rather dicey at night.

Paul Tauger

Jan 28, 2003, 5:05:05ā€ÆPM1/28/03

> > > I've posted a message on this forum about my coming trip to LA. Now
> > > I've almost finalized my plan but still have something outstanding
> > > regarding where to stay in LA. Below is my schedule :
> > >
> > > Day 1 (Sat) - Arrive LAX -> Stay and tour around Santa Monica
> > > Day 2 - Check out hotel in Santa Monica, then goto another hotel in
> > > either LA downtown or Monterey Park -> work around LA downtown,
> > > Hollywood, or other places near centre of LA
> >
> > Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica, there really isnt much
> > for a tourist in the downtown area, its a business district.
> >

> This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in
US
> looks like. In addition, aren't those places like Hollywood, Century City
> and Getty Center in west side worth visit ?

All of these locations are west of Los Angeles, and not particularly close
to downtown.

> However, I do agree that there are not much places to be visited in
downtown
> area ...
>
> > You can probably pick up an LA Tour in Santa Monica
> > if you dont want to drive
> >
> > > Day 3 - Goto Disneyland via MTA 460
> > > Day 4 - Goto Six Flags Magic mountain via local tour (other than
> > > driving myself, I can't find any other means to go there)
> >
> > Why not stay in Anaheim local to Disneyland ?
>
> Anaheim is closed to Disneyland, but not anything else. As I only plan to
> play around Disney for one day. I'm not sure whether it is worth to stay
> there overnight.

I wouldn't think it would be worth the trouble of moving hotels just for one
night.

> > > Day 5 - Check out hotel in LA and join another local tour to visit Las
> > > Vegas
> > > Day 7 - Local tour will bring me back to LA and I'll then goto Airport
> > > that night to catch up a freight at 11:30 PM
> > >

> > Why not catch a SW Airlines flight from LAX to Las Vegas ?
> >

> Besides the core parts of Las Vegas, those local tour also include visit
> Grand Canyon, Lenwood outlet, etc. These places do look interesting to me
> but I'm not sure whether I can manage the entire trip myself given my
> limited time and I don't plan to drive.

My god! The drive to Las Vegas in a fast car is 4 to 4-1/2 hours when
there's no traffic. Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon (north rim) is another 4
or 5. Busses will take much longer. This sounds like an exhausting tour.

The flight to Las Vegas takes 50 minutes or so. You can leave from LAX or
Burbank airport. Burbank may be more convenient for you, particularly if
you're staying downtown or in Monterey Park. Once in Las Vegas, you can
take a day tour to the Canyon via bus, or even take a helicopter tour that
will take you there.

Paul Tauger

Jan 28, 2003, 5:07:07ā€ÆPM1/28/03

"Miguel Cruz" <m...@admin.u.nu> wrote in message

> Ricky Wong <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> > This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in
US
> > looks like.
>
> Then go to San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia - even Boston.
>
> Los Angeles is more typical of a suburb than a big city.

I'll second what Miguel says. Los Angeles is one of the less interesting
cities in the U.S. As you're finding out, it is very spread out, and quite
inconvenient to get around without a car. All five cities Miguel mentioned
are easier to navigate, have more charm, and more things to see and do.

Paul Tauger

Jan 28, 2003, 5:09:01ā€ÆPM1/28/03

"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> Sorry for my typo ... it should be "walk around". :)
>
> For local tours, it seems that it is not easy to find one for Six Flags
> Magic Mountain. I've checked a few Chinese agents over the Internet and
they
> only organize tours to this place with at least a group of 5 people.

Is Magic Mountain someplace you really want to go on your first visit to the
US? It's just a big amusement park, and tends to attract a lot of gangs and
low life. I'm not suggesting it isn't safe, and wouldn't be fun, but,
particularly if you're going to Disneyland, I'd think that there might be
other things you'd like to do more.

JoeC

Jan 28, 2003, 5:18:43ā€ÆPM1/28/03
ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong) wrote in message news:<fb7da791.03012...@posting.google.com>...

Lincoln Plaza in Monterey Park... I did stay there once more than 10
year ago. It was so-so and ran by Taiwanese. You can find some very
good Chinese resturants around. But unless you are joining tours and
they are will willing to pick you up at the hotel, I don't see why you
would want to stay there (especially if you don't drive). BTW, I still
remember it took me 90 minutes from LA downtown to the hotel by bus.

Bruce Bowe

Jan 28, 2003, 6:24:42ā€ÆPM1/28/03

> Then go to San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia - even Boston.
>
> Los Angeles is more typical of a suburb than a big city.

Absolutely! Los Angeles, while a great place, is *not* typical of American
big cities. If you're coming from Asia, I'd suggest San Francisco, since
your original post seemed to give me the impression you wanted to be in
Asian areas. In San Francisco, there's lots of ethnic diversity and not
only is there Chinatown, the whole western half of the city is largely
asian. In addition, there's a sizeable Japanese area (Japan Town), although
probably not quite as large as LA's Little Tokyo. Plus, it's a beautiful
city with lots more than just Asian stuff to do and see.
L. A. is a great big freeway .... or so the song goes(apologies to Burt
Bacharach/Hal David), and you can do way better on the west coast..
All that from one who was born and raised there..
Bruce

Me

Jan 28, 2003, 6:51:46ā€ÆPM1/28/03
In article <fb7da791.03012...@posting.google.com>,
ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong) wrote:

> I've posted a message on this forum about my coming trip to LA. Now
> I've almost finalized my plan but still have something outstanding
> regarding where to stay in LA. Below is my schedule :
>
> Day 1 (Sat) - Arrive LAX -> Stay and tour around Santa Monica
> Day 2 - Check out hotel in Santa Monica, then goto another hotel in
> either LA downtown or Monterey Park -> work around LA downtown,
> Hollywood, or other places near centre of LA
> Day 3 - Goto Disneyland via MTA 460
> Day 4 - Goto Six Flags Magic mountain via local tour (other than
> driving myself, I can't find any other means to go there)
> Day 5 - Check out hotel in LA and join another local tour to visit Las
> Vegas
> Day 7 - Local tour will bring me back to LA and I'll then goto Airport
> that night to catch up a freight at 11:30 PM
>
> My question is : where should I stay in LA (for 3 nights) ? I've two
> choices - either near downtown (e.g. Holiday Inn City Centre,
> Figuorea) or near Monterey Park (e.g. Best Western Monterey Park,
> Lincoln Plaza, etc.).

Why would ou want to stay down town? There's nothing particularly
interesting in down town Los Angeles unless you have to conduct some
business there. Why not just stay in the same Santa Monica hotel for
your entire visit to Los Angeles? Santa Monica is an excellent area.

Me

Jan 28, 2003, 6:55:09ā€ÆPM1/28/03
In article <b16cro$r1...@imsp212.netvigator.com>,
"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> > > I've posted a message on this forum about my coming trip to LA. Now
> > > I've almost finalized my plan but still have something outstanding
> > > regarding where to stay in LA. Below is my schedule :
> > >
> > > Day 1 (Sat) - Arrive LAX -> Stay and tour around Santa Monica
> > > Day 2 - Check out hotel in Santa Monica, then goto another hotel in
> > > either LA downtown or Monterey Park -> work around LA downtown,
> > > Hollywood, or other places near centre of LA
> >
> > Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica, there really isnt much
> > for a tourist in the downtown area, its a business district.
> >

> This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in US
> looks like. In addition, aren't those places like Hollywood, Century City
> and Getty Center in west side worth visit ?

Yes, they're definitely worth a visit, but none of those places is
located in down town Los Angeles. Other than a munch of tall office
buildings, some restaurants, and a few stores, there's nothing worthwhile
for a tourist to see during the day in down town Los Angeles, much less
spend the night there. You can see all those places while still staying
in Santa Monica. You would definitely do well to consider renting a car
though. No matter where you stay, the public transportation in the Los
Angeles area is not extensive enough for most tourists' needs.

Todd Kunioka

Jan 28, 2003, 8:39:44ā€ÆPM1/28/03
ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong) wrote in message news:<fb7da791.03012...@posting.google.com>...
> My question is : where should I stay in LA (for 3 nights) ? I've two
> choices - either near downtown (e.g. Holiday Inn City Centre,
> Figuorea) or near Monterey Park (e.g. Best Western Monterey Park,
> Lincoln Plaza, etc.).
>
> What sort of area of downtown looks like ? Is it a commercial place ?
> Or have many places for tourist to walk around ? Some people said it
> isn't safe at night, is it ?

It is not particularly safe at night for walking around. Monterey
Park is safer to walk around. However, there's nothing there but
shops and restaurants. No museums or other destinations of note. So
you would certainly have more and cheaper options for dinner in
Monterey Park, but any actual excursion will take you longer.

> Some agents strongly recommend me to stay in Lincoln Plaza but it is a
> bit far and it will cause extra inconvenience on day 2 and 3 (and may
> be day 4 as well) because it takes almost an hour to travel from
> Monterey Park to download with MTA.

Yes, that's the rub. And that's why I originally suggested you stay
downtown. Then you're already near several potential destinations,
and with rail or bus routes either express or direct to most other
points of interest.

If you're dealing with Chinese travel agents, they may be pushing
Monterey Park because of the large Chinese population in Monterey Park
[and in adjoining towns: San Gabriel, Alhambra, and, to a lesser
extent, Rosemead]. Could be they're thinking in terms of "comfort
zones." Monterey Park used to bill itself as the "First Suburban
Chinatown." There, and in those neighboring towns I mentioned, there
are areas where the majority of signs in a strip mall have Chinese
characters.

Kind of a sight to see, actually. There's a large shopping center on
Valley Blvd, near Del Mar (Ave?). This is probably in San Gabriel. I
used to call it the Great Chinese Mall. That place really hopes on
weekends. Parking is nearly impossible, so I don't go there any more.
But if I were visiting the area, it would be worth a visit.

Todd

RetiredPilot2000

Jan 28, 2003, 9:28:39ā€ÆPM1/28/03
I love LA as a place to live in. I've lived here since 1962 with a long career
in the Southern California Aerospace Industry I can see how a tourist would be
more impressed with San Francisco, the city by the bay. If you are determined
to visit Los Angeles, I would visit Disneyland's new California Adventure and
see the new 40 minute Aladdin stage show in the park. I would also visit the
Universal Movie Studios. Something not mention yet are the two U.S. Presidental
Libraries in the area, The Ronald Reagan Library in Ventura County and the
Richard Nixon Library in Orange County.

David Gibson

Jan 29, 2003, 2:09:24ā€ÆAM1/29/03
RetiredPilot2000 wrote:

And the Getty Art Museum!

--
(Go Fish!)

Ricky Wong

Jan 29, 2003, 4:53:45ā€ÆAM1/29/03
Wow, there are so many replies ! As I read newsgroup postings with
Google in the office (which has significant delay in showing up new
postings), I just read most of the messages after I back from a
meeting.

Btw, thanks for any advices being given. :)

Instead of making reply to each of you, let's try to response at once
:

- We intend to tour around LA because the freight ticket of my wife is
from HK to LA, and then to Dallas (you will work in Dallas for ~1
week), and I'll join my wife at LA by a direct freight to LA. The
freight schedule has been confirmed and cannot be changed.

If we decide to tour around other places, we probably need to take an
extra freight from LA. Given the limited time we have, we decided not
to do so. Remember we only have ~4 days to be spent in LA (another 3
days in Las Vegas and Grand Canyon).

In addition, when we read those book about US tours, it seem that LA
has sufficient stuffs for someone like us to visit.

That's basically the reason why we picked LA for our 1st tour to US. I
think we are unlikely to change it (as I said all frieght schedules
have been confirmed), but I can make adjustments from your advices.

- We want to visit Disneyland because there is a new Adventure Land
there - something which we believe has differences from Disney in
Tokyo (we have visited there once). We decided not to visit Universal
Studio because it seems to be exactly the same as the one on Osaka.

For Six Flags Magic Mountain, it is actually not my cup of tea, but my
wife love exciting games (in fact, we have visited a number of famous
parks with world record exciting games in Japan) - and we have been
told that Six Flags Magic Mountain has the most excited games in LA
among all theme parks.

- We are come from Hong Kong. And that's why I shared similar view as
one of you - if you are talking about having Chinese food, I think HK
is the best among almost all other places in the world, i.e. I really
doubt I can find something interesting in Monterey Park.

On the other hand, I do have a little preference to go with Chinese
local tour for my Las Vegas trip even though we both speak English
pretty ok - because I can confirm my tour in HK before I go (there are
agents which have local office in Hong Kong). In other words, I can
arrange everything for my trip before I go - I was a bit worry for
find local tour after I visit LA. I'm not worry about can't find local
tour, but it may waste some extra time.

- While I still haven't completely made up my mind, I probably won't
drive in US because my driving skills is so poor and my friends told
me that driving in LA (Dallas is even worst according to him) is not
as easy as I expected.

On the other hand, I also don't want to carry my luggage around
everything with my tour - that's why I want to limited the number of
hotels which I'll stay.

- I originally plan to stay in Downtown for at least 1 night because I
can easily travel from there to Disney with MTA 460. Except for
relying on local tour, I don't know any other means to goto Disney
from other places.

Taxi may be an option, but isn't it too expensive (Disney seems very
far from the center of LA) ? For example, how much approximately if I
take Taxi from Santa Monica to Disney ?

- If downtown is really not that worth visit, I'll stay the day (day
2) in Hollywood and westside. Fyi, I do want to visit some very large
book stores or CD/Video shops in LA.

- The tour to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon is a 3 days 2 nights tour. As
some of you suggested that I may choose to take a freight from LA to
Las Vegas and then join local tour there - I'm not sure this is the
correct choice for me ... even planning my trip in LA is not so
"trivial", I'm somewhat worry if I need to do this for my Las Vegas
and Grand Canyon visit too.

This's probably everything I want to response ... I'll review your
opinions carefully and fine tune my plan accordingly. Any further
suggestion is welcome.

Icono Clast

Jan 29, 2003, 5:19:13ā€ÆAM1/29/03
"Paul Tauger" <ptauger...@cox.net> wrote:
> Is Magic Mountain someplace you really want to go on your first visit to the
> US? It's just a big amusement park, and tends to attract a lot of gangs and
> low life. I'm not suggesting it isn't safe, and wouldn't be fun, but,
> particularly if you're going to Disneyland, I'd think that there might be
> other things you'd like to do more.

You're quite right, and this from a roller-coaster freak. If you're
going to DisneyLand and must visit another amusement park, stay in
Anaheim and go to Knott's Berry Farm in nearby Buena Park that has
Ghostrider, a quite good roller-coaster, and several steel-coasters,
among them the best single loop, Montezooma, of them all as well as
the best mine ride (probably older than 30) I've ever seen.
ICONO CLAST - A San Franciscan in 47.335 mileĀ² San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ IClast at SFbay Net

RetiredPilot2000

Jan 29, 2003, 8:57:56ā€ÆAM1/29/03
Did you know that you could stay at a Los Angeles Airport hotel and take the
free shuttle (G) from LAX to the Metro Rail Green Line Aviation Blvd station.
You can then take the Green Line to the Norwalk station and pick up the bus to
Disneyland (460). See www.mta.net.

Or you could take the Airport Bus to a Disneyland Hotel. It cost about $10. If
you stay at the airport, there is Chinese food available at the Bradley
International Terminal. It is a little bit more expensive than a neighborhood
chinese food restaurant. If you are looking to save some money on hotels with
the understanding that you must accept what you are given based on the quality
level and the area of Los Angeles you selected, And it is nonrefundable. check
out www.biddingfortravel.com. This is a forum for Priceline.com bidders. I have
generally been happy with using Priceline.com. On average, they usually save me
from 40 to 50% off the lowest available rate from an internet travel web. For
example, recently the Hyatt Regency Orange County Hotel near Disneyland has
been accepting bids of $27 USD/night. This is a three star hotel in Anaheim.
They have done a nice job turning the Disneyland area into a resort area with
unlimited bus service for $2. You could probably find a bus to Knotts Berry
Farm Amusement Park. They have some exciting thrill rides.www.knotts.com. In
fact, your wife might not want to go to magic mountain after going to Knotts.
The Knotts family is an American success story turning a family restaurant and
small farm into a successful amusement park and food line.

Paul Tauger

Jan 29, 2003, 11:30:10ā€ÆAM1/29/03

"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Wow, there are so many replies ! As I read newsgroup postings with
> Google in the office (which has significant delay in showing up new
> postings), I just read most of the messages after I back from a
> meeting.
>
> Btw, thanks for any advices being given. :)
>
> Instead of making reply to each of you, let's try to response at once
> :
>
> - We intend to tour around LA because the freight ticket of my wife is
> from HK to LA, and then to Dallas (you will work in Dallas for ~1
> week), and I'll join my wife at LA by a direct freight to LA. The
> freight schedule has been confirmed and cannot be changed.

Okay, LA it is, then. ;)

> If we decide to tour around other places, we probably need to take an
> extra freight from LA. Given the limited time we have, we decided not
> to do so. Remember we only have ~4 days to be spent in LA (another 3
> days in Las Vegas and Grand Canyon).

3 days is about right for Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Though you could
spend more time in Las Vegas, you'll get plenty of the flavor, and be able
to see all the major attractions in that much time.

> In addition, when we read those book about US tours, it seem that LA
> has sufficient stuffs for someone like us to visit.

It does. You won't be bored, and you'll have a good time. It's just not a
typical American city, and there are others that are more interesting. That
just means you'll have to come back and visit us again. ;)

> That's basically the reason why we picked LA for our 1st tour to US. I
> think we are unlikely to change it (as I said all frieght schedules
> have been confirmed), but I can make adjustments from your advices.
>
> - We want to visit Disneyland because there is a new Adventure Land
> there - something which we believe has differences from Disney in
> Tokyo (we have visited there once).

Disney has opened California Adventure, which is a separate park right next
to Disneyland. I'm not a Disney fan, so I don't have much to say about
either.

> We decided not to visit Universal
> Studio because it seems to be exactly the same as the one on Osaka.

Universal Studios is, in my not-so-humble opinion, a complete waste of time.
It has nothing to do with how movies are made (and I say this from the
perspective of a former professional actor who has worked on projects that
were shot at Universal Studios, the _real_ film studio next door to the
identically-named amusement park.

If you are interested in how films really get made, take the Burbank Studios
tour. You'll see a real, working film studio, probably get to see a movie
or television show being shot, get tours through real prop departments,
custom departments, etc. You need reservations in advance, which can be
made by telephone.

> For Six Flags Magic Mountain, it is actually not my cup of tea, but my
> wife love exciting games (in fact, we have visited a number of famous
> parks with world record exciting games in Japan) - and we have been
> told that Six Flags Magic Mountain has the most excited games in LA
> among all theme parks.

Well, according to the television advertisements it does. I don't like
thrill rides, but the ones pictured in the ads look absolutely terrifying.

> - We are come from Hong Kong. And that's why I shared similar view as
> one of you - if you are talking about having Chinese food, I think HK
> is the best among almost all other places in the world, i.e. I really
> doubt I can find something interesting in Monterey Park.

My wife is from China, and we go to Monterey Park all the time for dinner.
We've found some good restaurants, but none as good as what we can get in
Hong Kong (or Guangzhou or Beijing, for that matter). You won't be
impressed by the restaurants in Monterey Park, but you'll be satisfied.

> On the other hand, I do have a little preference to go with Chinese
> local tour for my Las Vegas trip even though we both speak English
> pretty ok - because I can confirm my tour in HK before I go (there are
> agents which have local office in Hong Kong). In other words, I can
> arrange everything for my trip before I go - I was a bit worry for
> find local tour after I visit LA. I'm not worry about can't find local
> tour, but it may waste some extra time.
>
> - While I still haven't completely made up my mind, I probably won't
> drive in US because my driving skills is so poor and my friends told
> me that driving in LA (Dallas is even worst according to him) is not
> as easy as I expected.

If you can drive in Hong Kong, you probably wouldn't have much trouble in LA
(provided you don't mind a left-hand drive car). The main difficulty in
driving around LA is poorly marked freeway exits -- by the time you realize
you have to get off the freeway, you've already passed the exit. However, I
suspect it's considerably less difficult for someone from Hong Kong to drive
here, than for someone from here to drive in Hong Kong. We've been to Hong
Kong many times, and for quite long periods. We always take taxis -- all
the turn-offs and bypasses confuse me.

> On the other hand, I also don't want to carry my luggage around
> everything with my tour - that's why I want to limited the number of
> hotels which I'll stay.

Good idea.

> - I originally plan to stay in Downtown for at least 1 night because I
> can easily travel from there to Disney with MTA 460. Except for
> relying on local tour, I don't know any other means to goto Disney
> from other places.
>
> Taxi may be an option, but isn't it too expensive (Disney seems very
> far from the center of LA) ? For example, how much approximately if I
> take Taxi from Santa Monica to Disney ?

I don't think that will be feasible. Disneyland is in another city, and
about an hour from LA (in Southern California, distance is measured by time
of travel, rather than actual mileage). It wouldn't surprise me if a taxi
ride would cost $100 or more, one way.

> - If downtown is really not that worth visit, I'll stay the day (day
> 2) in Hollywood and westside. Fyi, I do want to visit some very large
> book stores or CD/Video shops in LA.

Then you definitely want to be on the west side. Are you looking for new or
used books, CDs and videos?

> - The tour to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon is a 3 days 2 nights tour. As
> some of you suggested that I may choose to take a freight from LA to
> Las Vegas and then join local tour there - I'm not sure this is the
> correct choice for me

I really think this is a better option than going by bus. Once you're in
Las Vegas, you don't need a tour at all. Most everything you want to see is
in one of two places: the Strip (this is where all the major hotels and
casinos are found) or downtown (cheaper hotels and casinos). If you want to
see Hoover Dam (interesting both historically and because it is a huge
public works project), you can easily get a tour at your hotel. You'd also
have no trouble getting a tour to the Grand Canyon.

Las Vegas gets a lot of visitors from Hong Kong, Taiwan and China. Many of
the majors have reasonably good Chinese restaurants (real ones, not the
weird western version of Chinese restaurants that most Americans like).
There are almost certainly hotel staff that speak Cantonese at the major
hotels (possibly Mandarin, as well).

>... even planning my trip in LA is not so
> "trivial", I'm somewhat worry if I need to do this for my Las Vegas
> and Grand Canyon visit too.

Your travel agent will have no trouble booking a flight to Las Vegas for you
(and you can even do it yourself on line). All airlines in the U.S. use
"e-tickets" as well as paper tickets. E-tickets require nothing more than
showing your identification (in your case, your passport) when you check in.
Nothing else is necessary.

Flights to Las Vegas are at an all time low right now. Southwest Airlines
is advertising flights for $29, one way. Personally, I prefer America West,
but Southwest is perfectly fine for a short flight like that.

You can also book hotels in Las Vegas on-line, though your travel agent may
be able to get you better rates. I'd bet, though, that the major Las Vegas
hotels have booking offices in Hong Kong.

> This's probably everything I want to response ... I'll review your
> opinions carefully and fine tune my plan accordingly. Any further
> suggestion is welcome.

Good luck, and enjoy your visit to the U.S.!

Peter L

Jan 29, 2003, 11:40:04ā€ÆAM1/29/03
Umm...excuse me, while downtown LA is not a major tourist destination, I
would not say that there is nothing to see. There is the Central Library,
Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Central market, the Mexican village (forgot the
name of the street), and Little Tokyo and Chinatown nearby.

"Me" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Peter L

Jan 29, 2003, 11:54:06ā€ÆAM1/29/03
Ricky: First of all, let me tell you there is a large anti-LA element in
the US and esp. on this ng. I would ignore it. I have lived in LA for 20
years, and I am also originally from HK. LA is a great place to visit. You
made the right choice.

While HK certainly has the best Chinese food, I know lots of HK visitors are
not used to eating western style food (big piece of meat, cheese, etc.), and
they all want Chinese food wherever they go, even second rate Chinese food.
So eventhough Monterey Park is a little far for some locations, it is a very
nice place to stay. We've never stayed at Lincoln Plaza, but I know it
caters to Asian tourists a lot. And in the evening you can walk around to
many Chinese restaurants nearby.

In terms of getting tours, I would not worry about it. Wait till you get to
LA. Most hotels have connections to tour companies. All you have to do is
to call a number on the brochures and they'll pick you up. There are tours
to all the popular places. I can assure you that you won't have any problem
finding tours to Disneyland or Las Vegas and Grand Canyon.

You are correct in not wanting to drive in LA. Even people who live in LA
don't want to drive in LA. Also in terms of shopping at a large record
store, you should do that while you are in Santa Monica. Ask you hotel
about the closest record store in your area. There should be a number of
them (Best Buy, Virgin Superstore, are a couple of the names).

Have fun.

Peter L

Jan 29, 2003, 1:05:03ā€ÆPM1/29/03

"Paul Tauger" <ptauger...@cox.net> wrote in message

> If you can drive in Hong Kong, you probably wouldn't have much trouble in
LA

This is entirely an incorrect assumption. First of all, as you've pointed
out, the left hand drive vs right hand drive is a huge adjustment to make.
Second, unfamiliarity with street signs and directions adds to the
confusion. Also the driving speed in HK is much less than that in the US,
esp. on freeways. It would be quite dangerous for him to attempt to drive
in LA.

Paul Tauger

Jan 29, 2003, 1:45:08ā€ÆPM1/29/03

"Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Paul Tauger" <ptauger...@cox.net> wrote in message
> >

> > If you can drive in Hong Kong, you probably wouldn't have much trouble
in
> LA
>
> This is entirely an incorrect assumption. First of all, as you've pointed
> out, the left hand drive vs right hand drive is a huge adjustment to make.

It is for some, but not for all. Many people in Hong Kong commute, by car,
to Shenzhen in China (it's a 20 minute drive). China is left-hand drive,
like the U.S. My brother-in-law lives in Shenzhen and drives a right-hand
drive car. His office is in Hong Kong. He has no trouble whatsoever making
the transition.

> Second, unfamiliarity with street signs and directions adds to the
> confusion.

The same can be said about driving anywhere else in the world. I drive in
Europe all the time, and have no problem with the street signs (which are
not always in langagues I can read -- the OP, on the other hand, reads
English very well), or directions.

> Also the driving speed in HK is much less than that in the US,
> esp. on freeways.

That's not true. Have you ever driven from Hong Kong to Lantau? That
highway is at least as fast, and in my experience, faster, than anything in
LA.

> It would be quite dangerous for him to attempt to drive
> in LA.

I don't agree. It depends on his skill and comfort level.

Paul Tauger

Jan 29, 2003, 1:48:53ā€ÆPM1/29/03

> Umm...excuse me, while downtown LA is not a major tourist destination, I
> would not say that there is nothing to see. There is the Central Library,
> Dorothy Chandler Pavilion,

The Music Center is only interesting if you're going to attend a performance
there (which isn't a bad idea at all).

> Central market, the Mexican village (forgot the
> name of the street),

Olvera Street. That is worth a visit, as is the whole Pueblo area around
it.

> and Little Tokyo and Chinatown nearby.

Little Tokyo is . . . well . . . very little. There are some good Japanese
restaurants there, but it's not going to convey any feel of Japanese
culture, as would a visit to Japan.

Chinatown would, I'd think, be of little interest to a visitor from Hong
Kong. It's restaurants are second-rate compared to Monterey Park and
Alhambra, and a lot of it is geared to western tourists.

Peter L

Jan 29, 2003, 3:30:01ā€ÆPM1/29/03
I guess you and I disagree. Your brother in law does not have to deal with
jet lag as he commutes daily from Canton, does he? And most of the driving
in HK are done at much lower speed than that in LA, with the exception of
one particular stretch of road you mentioned.

"Paul Tauger" <ptauger...@cox.net> wrote in message

Ricky Wong

Jan 29, 2003, 9:23:02ā€ÆPM1/29/03
> My wife is from China, and we go to Monterey Park all the time for dinner.
> We've found some good restaurants, but none as good as what we can get in
> Hong Kong (or Guangzhou or Beijing, for that matter). You won't be
> impressed by the restaurants in Monterey Park, but you'll be satisfied.

How do we get to Monterey Park from Santa Monica ? With carrying two
big luggages ? Originally I plan to go with Taxi, but because on the
distance shown on the map, I think it will cost $50 or more, isn't it
?

> > Taxi may be an option, but isn't it too expensive (Disney seems very
> > far from the center of LA) ? For example, how much approximately if I
> > take Taxi from Santa Monica to Disney ?
>
> I don't think that will be feasible. Disneyland is in another city, and
> about an hour from LA (in Southern California, distance is measured by time
> of travel, rather than actual mileage). It wouldn't surprise me if a taxi
> ride would cost $100 or more, one way.

Then my only choices are either local tour or MTA 460.

p.s. I won't goto Disney on day 1 or 2 because I want to go there
during weekday, rather than weekend.

> Then you definitely want to be on the west side. Are you looking for new or
> used books, CDs and videos?

Primarily those selling new books, CDs or DVDs. I just found this site
and it seems to have a lot of good suggestions :
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/section/shopping/?brand=yahoo

> I really think this is a better option than going by bus. Once you're in
> Las Vegas, you don't need a tour at all. Most everything you want to see is
> in one of two places: the Strip (this is where all the major hotels and
> casinos are found) or downtown (cheaper hotels and casinos). If you want to
> see Hoover Dam (interesting both historically and because it is a huge
> public works project), you can easily get a tour at your hotel. You'd also
> have no trouble getting a tour to the Grand Canyon.
>
> Las Vegas gets a lot of visitors from Hong Kong, Taiwan and China. Many of
> the majors have reasonably good Chinese restaurants (real ones, not the
> weird western version of Chinese restaurants that most Americans like).
> There are almost certainly hotel staff that speak Cantonese at the major
> hotels (possibly Mandarin, as well).

Having Chinese restaurants around is not an essential requirement to
us, we can live with western style food happily.

> Flights to Las Vegas are at an all time low right now. Southwest Airlines
> is advertising flights for $29, one way. Personally, I prefer America West,
> but Southwest is perfectly fine for a short flight like that.

I've checked Expedia and the Web site of South West airline. It seems
that a typical round trip ticket from LA to Las Vegas costs at least
US$100 (not sure whether this includes tax or not). Where can I find
those cheaper tickets ?

In fact, this is the reason why I prefer to go with those 3 days 2
nights land tour - for those Chinese American operated agencies, they
only charge about US$100 to US$130 for transportation and hotel fees.
This will save us a lot of $$.

Ricky Wong

Jan 29, 2003, 9:28:32ā€ÆPM1/29/03
retiredp...@aol.com (RetiredPilot2000) wrote in message news:<20030129085756...@mb-cj.aol.com>...

> Did you know that you could stay at a Los Angeles Airport hotel and take the
> free shuttle (G) from LAX to the Metro Rail Green Line Aviation Blvd station.
> You can then take the Green Line to the Norwalk station and pick up the bus to
> Disneyland (460). See www.mta.net.
>
> Or you could take the Airport Bus to a Disneyland Hotel. It cost about $10.

The problem is : (1) I don't want to goto Disney on day 1 (I prefer to
go there on weekday), (2) I think it would be inconvenient if I take
these public transport with 2 big luggages.

That's why I plan to join either local tour, or put my luggages in our
hotel and goto Disney with MTA 460.

> unlimited bus service for $2. You could probably find a bus to Knotts Berry
> Farm Amusement Park. They have some exciting thrill rides.www.knotts.com. In
> fact, your wife might not want to go to magic mountain after going to Knotts.

Why ? Do you think Knotts Berry is better than Six Flags Magic
Mountain ?

Polar

Jan 29, 2003, 10:23:40ā€ÆPM1/29/03
On 29 Jan 2003 18:23:02 -0800, ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong)
wrote:

>> My wife is from China, and we go to Monterey Park all the time for dinner.
>> We've found some good restaurants, but none as good as what we can get in
>> Hong Kong (or Guangzhou or Beijing, for that matter). You won't be
>> impressed by the restaurants in Monterey Park, but you'll be satisfied.
>>

>How do we get to Monterey Park from Santa Monica ? With carrying two
>big luggages ? Originally I plan to go with Taxi, but because on the
>distance shown on the map, I think it will cost $50 or more, isn't it

Coming in on this late, so hope I'm not repeating earlier posts.

Why do you have to take your luggage to a restaurant in Monterey Park?
Can't you check it somewhere? Or leave at your hotel?

There is bus service, though it takes a while to get from place to
place. If you know where you're staying in Santa Monica, and someone
has given you an address in Monterey Park, go to the Web

<mta.com> (metropolitan transit authority).

They will plot a route for you.

But...it's much easier just to go to Chinatown from Santa Monica.
Bus service is fast and frequent. Plenty of restaurants. A meal is a
meal is a meal.

[...]

--
Polar

Ricky Wong

Jan 30, 2003, 1:31:20ā€ÆAM1/30/03

> Coming in on this late, so hope I'm not repeating earlier posts.
>
> Why do you have to take your luggage to a restaurant in Monterey Park?
> Can't you check it somewhere? Or leave at your hotel?

Because I want to join those 3 days 2 nights local tour to Las Vegas
and Grand Canyon offered by those Chinese American agencies. Most of
them only pick up from Monterey Park.

In fact, the problem is the same if I take local tour from Anaheim to
Las Vegas (as I posted earlier, I found one local tour which offer
such kind of tour, but it costs almost 3 times of the amount charge by
those Chinese American agencies), i.e. I still can't find any
convenient way to goto Anaheim from Santa Monica with carrying two big
luggages.

> There is bus service, though it takes a while to get from place to
> place. If you know where you're staying in Santa Monica, and someone
> has given you an address in Monterey Park, go to the Web
>
> <mta.com> (metropolitan transit authority).

In fact, I've visited this Web site before and download a number of
maps there. However I guess it will be inconvenient if we carry 2 big
luggages to travel with MTA.

Icono Clast

Jan 30, 2003, 5:51:40ā€ÆAM1/30/03
ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong) wrote:
> inconvenient if we carry 2 big luggages

Your problem isn't transportation, Ricky. Your problem is carrying too
much. You are probably not an experienced traveller and therefore
don't know what you don't need on The Road.

Aside from toiletries, all you need is two daytime outfits (one on
your body, one washed before you went to bed), one nighttime outfit,
one pair of daytime shoes, one pair of nighttime shoes, one necktie
(scarf for a woman), one sweater, a swimsuit, four sets of
undergarments and sox (two day, two night), and two handkerchieves and
accessories such as belts, jewellery, suspenders, etc.

You can have many daytime outfits if you're willing to wear T-shirts
as they're small and can be very varied in color.

Your primary bag should weigh less than 15 kilos and be easy to
handle.

Before leaving home, hand wash and hang up the clothes you plan to
take. If any item takes longer than eight, maybe ten, hours to dry,
leave it at home! If any item thus washed and dried is not presentable
without ironing, leave it at home!

Your photographic equipment should weigh less than five kilos and be
in one bag you can wear on your shoulder.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Icono Clast

Jan 30, 2003, 6:17:14ā€ÆAM1/30/03
ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong) wrote:
> For Six Flags Magic Mountain, it is actually not my cup of tea, but my
> wife love exciting games (in fact, we have visited a number of famous
> parks with world record exciting games in Japan) - and we have been
> told that Six Flags Magic Mountain has the most excited games in LA
> among all theme parks.

That's true. Although I like Magic Mountain, and have been there many
times, I still think you'd be better off going to Knott's Berry Farm.

Here's a report on my last visit to Magic Mountain:
New to me were "X" (that looks like Magic Mountain's answer to
Riverside's "Superman") that was closed for the week and "Deja Vu"
that looked like nothing but an inverted "Boomerang" with a two-hour
wait (I really liked the similar "Face Off" at King's Island) so
didn't
bother with it. "Goliath" and "Riddler's Revenge" were very pleasant
surprises each being a nice pain-free ride in spite of the
Over-The-Shoulder-Restraints (OTSRs). "Psyclone" delivered nicely as
did "Colossus" the little it has to offer. "Ninja" has roughened a bit
but it's still nice. And "Superman: The Escape" is still a significant
"Wow!" "Goldrusher", after so many years, remains a very nice ride for
children of all ages. I was surprised to see that the extremely
violent "Flashback" is still standing and that the OTSRs haven't been
removed from "The Great American Revolution" that didn't have them for
its first few years. I didn't bother with "Viper" as I remember it as
being a pain inflicter nor "Batman" as, my last ride, it was at the
limit of my body's tolerance.

There's more to Magic Mountain than I've mentioned here.
A roller-coaster freak in San Francisco

RetiredPilot2000

Jan 30, 2003, 8:53:23ā€ÆAM1/30/03
>In fact, I've visited this Web site before and download a number of
>maps there. However I guess it will be inconvenient if we carry 2 big
>luggages to travel with MTA.

I agree that you shouldn't try to take big pieces of luggage on public transit.
You could use shared vans such as super shuttle to take you from lax to your
hotel and back. Are you going to Santa Monica to recover from Jet Lag?

Paul Tauger

Jan 30, 2003, 11:38:40ā€ÆAM1/30/03

"Icono Clast" <ICl...@JPS.Net> wrote in message

> ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong) wrote:
> > inconvenient if we carry 2 big luggages

<snip of advice I don't disagree with>

> Your photographic equipment should weigh less than five kilos and be
> in one bag you can wear on your shoulder.

I'm going to guess that photography or videography isn't a primary hobby for
you. It is for me. I travel with VX2000 camcorder and a Canon SLR (soon to
be replaced by a Canon D60 digital slr) . The VX2000 weighs more than 3
lbs, just by itself. Add in the wideangle lens for it, a couple of extra
batteries, a monopod, the Canon, film, tape and filters, and you have a
package that, I expect far exceeds 5 kilos, and doesn't fit in a shoulder
bag.

The solution is simple: I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack, which is a
very comfortable way to carry all this stuff, with room left over for an
umbrella, a sweater, my sunglasses, and any occassional purchase that I
might make during the day.

Peter L

Jan 30, 2003, 12:03:39ā€ÆPM1/30/03

"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > My wife is from China, and we go to Monterey Park all the time for
dinner.
> > We've found some good restaurants, but none as good as what we can get
in
> > Hong Kong (or Guangzhou or Beijing, for that matter). You won't be
> > impressed by the restaurants in Monterey Park, but you'll be satisfied.
> >

> How do we get to Monterey Park from Santa Monica ? With carrying two
> big luggages ? Originally I plan to go with Taxi, but because on the
> distance shown on the map, I think it will cost $50 or more, isn't it
> ?

Well, it will not be cheap. Either taxi or Supershuttle will get you there.
That's probably the most convenient ways. LA is huge and public
transportation is very poor.

Peter L

Jan 30, 2003, 12:07:14ā€ÆPM1/30/03

"Icono Clast" <ICl...@JPS.Net> wrote in message
> ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong) wrote:
> > inconvenient if we carry 2 big luggages
>
> Your problem isn't transportation, Ricky. Your problem is carrying too
> much. You are probably not an experienced traveller and therefore
> don't know what you don't need on The Road.

I think our problem here on this ng is thinking we have the best solutions
and other people don't know what they are doing. Had you read the OP's
posts, you'd know that his wife has to work in Dallas for a week prior to
their vacation. So she probably has to carry work related clothes and other
implementations with her to LA after the Dallas trip.

He has two large suitcases, just accept it as fact and offer solutions,
instead of telling him why he is wrong.

honu

Jan 30, 2003, 12:49:17ā€ÆPM1/30/03
Since you are going to hook up with a tour in Monterey Park, why don't you
ask the tour operator for suggestions on how you can get there? Maybe they
can pick you up in Santa Monica for a price that is equivalent (or lower) to
what you'd spend to get there by taxi from your SM hotel or maybe they also
go regularly to LAX and could pick you up there.

Miguel Cruz

Jan 30, 2003, 1:15:13ā€ÆPM1/30/03
Peter L <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I think our problem here on this ng is thinking we have the best solutions
> and other people don't know what they are doing.

But we do, and they don't.

That's why we're in the newsgroup getting paid the big bucks to answer these
questions and they aren't.

miguel
Latest addition: 80 photos from Guatemala

JohnT

Jan 30, 2003, 1:25:42ā€ÆPM1/30/03

"Miguel Cruz" <m...@admin.u.nu> wrote in message

...Any chance of a few crumbs from the rich man's table?

JohnT

Peter L

Jan 30, 2003, 1:35:33ā€ÆPM1/30/03

"honu" <hurd...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message

> Since you are going to hook up with a tour in Monterey Park, why don't you
> ask the tour operator for suggestions on how you can get there? Maybe
they
> can pick you up in Santa Monica for a price that is equivalent (or lower)
> what you'd spend to get there by taxi from your SM hotel or maybe they
also
> go regularly to LAX and could pick you up there.

Having some experience with some of these tours, I'd think not. They are
low priced and designed to attract Asian tourists, who mostly congregate
around the Monterey Park area. They are not going to drive their big bus to
Santa Monica just to pick up a couple of people. Or if they do, it won't be
cheap.

Miguel Cruz

Jan 30, 2003, 2:47:35ā€ÆPM1/30/03
JohnT <johnhillr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Miguel Cruz" <m...@admin.u.nu> wrote:
>> Peter L <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think our problem here on this ng is thinking we have the best
>>> solutions and other people don't know what they are doing.
>>
>> But we do, and they don't.
>>
>> That's why we're in the newsgroup getting paid the big bucks to answer
>> these questions and they aren't.
>
> ...Any chance of a few crumbs from the rich man's table?

Look, I'd love to help out, but fraternization is explicitly forbidden in
the contract.

Polar

Jan 30, 2003, 4:27:57ā€ÆPM1/30/03
On 29 Jan 2003 22:31:20 -0800, ric...@myrealbox.com (Ricky Wong)
wrote:

Oh, I dunno...I've walked 1-1/2 blocks to the local bus to the
airport, then 100 yards to the shuttle to my terminal, then inside to
check for a month in Africa with two HUGE pieces, and I am a very
un-huge person. Bus drivers are usually kind and helpful to foreign
travelers struggling with luggage. I usually stack mine up on a
wheeled carrier.

If, as I note, you have to rendezvous with your tour in Monterey Park
( thought you were going there just to eat!) don't give up on MTA; it
might work.

Do your suitcases have wheels? If not, pick up a sturdy wheeled
carrier (don't go for the cheapies; they don't hold up).

--
Polar

Polar

Jan 30, 2003, 4:29:28ā€ÆPM1/30/03
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:54:06 -0800, "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

>Also in terms of shopping at a large record
>store, you should do that while you are in Santa Monica. Ask you hotel
>about the closest record store in your area. There should be a number of
>them (Best Buy, Virgin Superstore, are a couple of the names).

[...]

There's a big Tower Records right downtown Santa Monica.

--
Polar

Polar

Jan 30, 2003, 4:30:37ā€ÆPM1/30/03
On 29 Jan 2003 02:28:39 GMT, retiredp...@aol.com
(RetiredPilot2000) wrote:

>I love LA as a place to live in. I've lived here since 1962 with a long career
>in the Southern California Aerospace Industry I can see how a tourist would be
>more impressed with San Francisco, the city by the bay. If you are determined
>to visit Los Angeles, I would visit Disneyland's new California Adventure and
>see the new 40 minute Aladdin stage show in the park. I would also visit the
>Universal Movie Studios

. Something not mention yet are the two U.S. Presidental
>Libraries in the area, The Ronald Reagan Library in Ventura County and the
>Richard Nixon Library in Orange County.

Oh my gawd!! Puleeze!

--
Polar

azz...@olypen.com

Jan 30, 2003, 5:41:42ā€ÆPM1/30/03

My sentiments exactly.

Ricky Wong

Jan 30, 2003, 9:40:59ā€ÆPM1/30/03

> I think our problem here on this ng is thinking we have the best solutions
> and other people don't know what they are doing. Had you read the OP's
> posts, you'd know that his wife has to work in Dallas for a week prior to
> their vacation. So she probably has to carry work related clothes and
other
> implementations with her to LA after the Dallas trip.

This is exactly the reason why we will carry two big suitcases. In fact, if
I go myself for 1 week, I'll only carry a small suitcase with a backpack.
However, since my wife will go there for 2 weeks for both work and lesiure,
she by herself need at least a large suitcase. And in most of our trips, she
usually expected me to carry her stuffs as well, including those which
suppose should be put in her backpack ... :) therefore, we end up need to
carry at least two large suitcase. Btw, I'll try to squeeze my own stuffs -
my target is to have one large suitcase and one small suitcase.

For photographic equipment, it shouldn't be a big problem. While I also own
a lot of SLR cameras and lens, I won't bring them with my trip. I'll only
carry my digital camera (which can accept AA batteries so that I don't need
to bring the charger as well) and a small Panasonic DV.

Ricky Wong

Jan 30, 2003, 9:44:45ā€ÆPM1/30/03
You are right. I've checked that most of them only pick up from the areas
near Monterey Park.

However, I did find one who is willing to pick up in LA downtown (but at
7:00 AM in the morning). I think I'll stay in downtwon near the pick up
point on the night prior to my departure to Las Vegas. In other words, I
probably won't goto Monterey Park - the whole idea of going to Monterey Park
is to have the convenience to join those Chinese American local tour.

"Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Icono Clast

Jan 31, 2003, 4:01:20ā€ÆAM1/31/03
"Paul Tauger" <ptauger...@cox.net> wrote

> "Icono Clast" <ICl...@JPS.Net> wrote:
> > Your photographic equipment should weigh less than five kilos and be
> > in one bag you can wear on your shoulder.
>
> I'm going to guess that photography . . . isn't a primary hobby for you.

You're mistaken. However, I value my personal comfort and skeletal
preservation more than my skill as a still photographer.

I used to carry one body, lenses 28mm, 35,mm, 50mm, 100mm and a
doubler, a very small tripod, and various filters. Weighed about nine
pounds.

My newest camera has a 35-135mm zoom lens that's adequate.

> . . . videography isn't a primary hobby for you.

You're correct.

> It is for me. I travel with VX2000 camcorder and a Canon SLR (soon to
> be replaced by a Canon D60 digital slr) . The VX2000 weighs more than 3
> lbs, just by itself. Add in the wideangle lens for it, a couple of extra
> batteries, a monopod, the Canon, film, tape and filters, and you have a
> package that, I expect far exceeds 5 kilos, and doesn't fit in a shoulder
> bag.
>
> The solution is simple: I have a Lowepro Minitrekker backpack, which is a
> very comfortable way to carry all this stuff, with room left over for an
> umbrella, a sweater, my sunglasses, and any occassional purchase that I
> might make during the day.

Good luck on your back's future health. I hope you're at least in your
fifties and your skeleton is well developed.

Were it up to me, persons under age 18 would be prohibited from
carrying anything on their backs for longer than a minute or two. I
cringe at the future of the backs-burdened children I see on the
streets. O how they'll suffer! The fat ones, though, probably won't
live long enough for their mis-treated backs to bother them.

Icono Clast

Jan 31, 2003, 4:08:19ā€ÆAM1/31/03
Polar <sme...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> (RetiredPilot2000) wrote:
> >Something not mention yet are the two U.S. Presidental Libraries
> >in the area, The Ronald Reagan Library in Ventura County and the
> >Richard Nixon Library in Orange County.
>
> Oh my gawd!! Puleeze!

I've been a Nixon hater since 1946 yet I couldn't resist following the
sign off the freeway to the Nixon homesite. I walked in without paying
the modest charge. Circumstances did not allow me to piss on his grave
but I did spit on it. Disappointingly ungratifying.

I think it's a worth-while place to visit. Try it; you might not like
it but I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

Icono Clast

Jan 31, 2003, 4:22:21ā€ÆAM1/31/03
Miguel Cruz said:

> Peter L <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I think our problem here on this ng is thinking we have the best solutions
> >and other people don't know what they are doing.

> But we do, and they don't.

> That's why we're in the newsgroup

Zaktly!

"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote

> my wife will go there for 2 weeks for both work and lesiure

Underestood. Unless she needs to be burdened with work-related items
that won't be available in Dallas, there's no need to pack more than
what I recommended. Her co-workers in Dallas will know that she
doesn't live there with a closet full of clothes and that people on
The Road haven't much with them. If they don't, she can tell them when
appropriate.

The probability is that her co-workers won't give a damn about how she
dresses. Their interest is likely to be in her skill, knowledge, and
competence, not how she looks with clothes on.

Further, if you want to take the time, you can create a varied
wardrobe by visiting second-hand stores and getting decent outfits for
very small sums. You can just leave them here when you leave and not
be concerned about how burdened with baggage you'll be.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mileĀ² San Francisco

Paul Tauger

Jan 31, 2003, 9:49:35ā€ÆAM1/31/03

"Icono Clast" <ICl...@JPS.Net> wrote in message

Not quite, but closing in.

>and your skeleton is well developed.

I'm frequently complimented on my skeleton. ;)

> Were it up to me, persons under age 18 would be prohibited from
> carrying anything on their backs for longer than a minute or two.

Well, I haven't been under 18 for a long, long, long time.

I've been carrying a backpack of some sort (actually a daypack to carry the
cameras) on our twice-yearly international trips throughout my 40s with not
problems whatsoever.

Ricky Wong

Jan 31, 2003, 12:04:45ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Why some of you said that going to Knott's Berry Farm is better ? From your
description, Magic Mountain is a very excited place ... I still haven't made
up my mind so far. The primary hesistation of going to Magic Mountain is :
it is a bit far and I must rely on local tour. Secondly, since it opens only
on weekend during Winter, I'm worrying about the querying time for each
game.

Peter L

Jan 31, 2003, 12:47:38ā€ÆPM1/31/03

"Icono Clast" <ICl...@JPS.Net> wrote in message

> Underestood. Unless she needs to be burdened with work-related items
> that won't be available in Dallas, there's no need to pack more than
> what I recommended. Her co-workers in Dallas will know that she
> doesn't live there with a closet full of clothes and that people on
> The Road haven't much with them. If they don't, she can tell them when
> appropriate.
>
> The probability is that her co-workers won't give a damn about how she
> dresses. Their interest is likely to be in her skill, knowledge, and
> competence, not how she looks with clothes on.
>
> Further, if you want to take the time, you can create a varied
> wardrobe by visiting second-hand stores and getting decent outfits for
> very small sums. You can just leave them here when you leave and not
> be concerned about how burdened with baggage you'll be.

Haha, you haven't had to work at a real job for a long time, have you?

Don Kirkman

Jan 31, 2003, 6:02:24ā€ÆPM1/31/03
It seems to me I heard somewhere that Icono Clast wrote in article
<3a26924c.03012...@posting.google.com>:

>"Paul Tauger" <ptauger...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Is Magic Mountain someplace you really want to go on your first visit to the
>> US? It's just a big amusement park, and tends to attract a lot of gangs and
>> low life. I'm not suggesting it isn't safe, and wouldn't be fun, but,
>> particularly if you're going to Disneyland, I'd think that there might be
>> other things you'd like to do more.

>You're quite right, and this from a roller-coaster freak. If you're
>going to DisneyLand and must visit another amusement park, stay in
>Anaheim and go to Knott's Berry Farm in nearby Buena Park that has
>Ghostrider, a quite good roller-coaster, and several steel-coasters,
>among them the best single loop, Montezooma, of them all as well as
>the best mine ride (probably older than 30) I've ever seen.

The mine ride has probably been updated a number of times, but it was
one of the first rides in the park, dating probably from the 1950s. The
park actually began as a "ghost town" attraction with restaurants and
farm produce stands, dating from the 1930s Great Depression. The Knotts
were part of the family that operated the mines at Calico, California, a
genuine but touristy ghost town in the Mojave desert and now a state
park.

The spectacular but more typical amusement park rides now featured at
Knotts are relatively new, and the new ownership will probably move more
in that direction.
--
Don
don...@covad.net

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:06:19ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Ricky Wong wrote:

> This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in US
> looks like. In addition, aren't those places like Hollywood,

You can walk around Hollywood Blvd near Vine, it's mostly tacky
tourist shops. The movie business has long since fled to the San
Fernando Valley (Universal Studios, etc) or other places.

There's a new shopping block at Hollywood/Highland, it's mostly
expensive stores, but it's ok to walk around for a few hours. Also
accessible by Red Line subway.

> Century City

Mostly high rise apartments and office buildings. Maybe fun to ride
through on the bus, but I wouldn't make a special trip there.

> and Getty Center in west side worth visit ?

Getty Center is a pretty good art museum, with great views of the
surrounding city (it's up in the Santa Monica Mountains). Best of
all, it's free ($5 to park, though)

> However, I do agree that there are not much places to be visited in downtown
> area ...

There's Olvera St, Chinatown and Little Tokyo; all three good for a
day visit. Downtown after dark is too quiet for me, though (not
necessarily dangerous, just don't expect a New York-level of onstreet
activity).

Nightlife is probably best sought after in Hollywood, Westwood, Santa
Monica, or even Ventura Bl. in the San Fernando Valley.

>>>Day 3 - Goto Disneyland via MTA 460

Best done from Downtown LA, although if you stay in Santa Monica,
you can take Santa Monica bus #10 (an express) to Downtown, then
pick up the #460. Only problem is, getting back at night, when only
the slow local buses run back to the westside....I'd consider staying
in Anaheim that night (plenty of hotels with good shuttle bus service
in the area) and continuing from there the next day.

>>>Day 4 - Goto Six Flags Magic mountain via local tour (other than
>>>driving myself, I can't find any other means to go there)

You can get there via Metrolink train from Downtown LA, Burbank,
Glendale or Sylmar, and getting off the train at Newhall. There are
local buses that will take you to Valencia, and from there to
Magic Mountain. (In summer, direct buses are occasionally offered).
You won't be able to stay much later than about 6 p.m. (4 p.m. on
Saturday) though, as the last Metrolink train to LA leaves Santa Clarita
about that time....

If you are going to Magic Mountain from West LA, you can try the
#561 bus to Sylmar Metrolink, or, on weekday mornings, catch Santa
Clarita bus #792 from Westwood/Century City to Valencia, then transfer
there to the local route to Magic Mountain.

>>>Vegas
>>>Day 7 - Local tour will bring me back to LA and I'll then goto Airport
>>>that night to catch up a freight at 11:30 PM
>>>

>>Why not catch a SW Airlines flight from LAX to Las Vegas ?

Of, if you stay in Anaheim, fly out from Santa Ana (John Wayne)
airport and connect with your tour there, if possible.

> I'll consider your suggestions ... at least consider to stay in Santa Monica
> for 1 more night. :)

Personally, I'd stay in Santa Monica except for after your Disneyland
day, when I'd spend the night in Anaheim.

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:14:34ā€ÆPM1/31/03
David Gibson wrote:

> RetiredPilot2000 wrote:
>

>>I love LA as a place to live in. I've lived here since 1962 with a long career
>>in the Southern California Aerospace Industry I can see how a tourist would be
>>more impressed with San Francisco, the city by the bay. If you are determined
>>to visit Los Angeles, I would visit Disneyland's new California Adventure and
>>see the new 40 minute Aladdin stage show in the park. I would also visit the
>>Universal Movie Studios. Something not mention yet are the two U.S. Presidental

>>Libraries in the area, The Ronald Reagan Library in Ventura County and the
>>Richard Nixon Library in Orange County.

Might be a bit hard to get to without a car,though. (It is *possible*,
just a lot of intricate bus transfers and such) Nixon's place is
probably easier. (Amtrak to Fullerton, then OCTA bus #26 to Tricky
Dick's...:-)

> And the Getty Art Museum!

Easy as pie. #561 to Getty Center, then get off and walk up the hill, or
take the tram. Best of all, bus riders get in FREE! ($5 to park, and
you may need a reservation to do so....)

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:24:50ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Peter L wrote:
> <azz...@olypen.com> wrote in message news:3E36D939...@olypen.com...
>

>>Keith Willshaw wrote:
>>
>>>Personally I'd stay in Santa Monica the first 2 nights
>>>and then move to Anaheim where most of the hotels
>>>operate a free shuttle to Disneyland and offer
>>>tours to Magic Mountain , Vegas etc
>>>

>>I'd second this. You really don't want to stay in either downtown LA or
>>Monterey Park.
>>

> Why is that? I can understand downtown LA. But why not Monterey Park,
> where there are some of the best Chinese restaurants in the US?

I guess you can go there to eat, but it's otherwise not too tourist
oriented. Mostly it's a bedroom suburb, with a few shopping centers
and hospitals. But it, and some of the surrounding cities (Rosemead,
Alhambra, and San Marino) are interesting as "suburban Chinatowns".

Having said that, there are hotels, and it's relatively easy to get
there on the bus (#70 or #370 from Downtown will dump you along
Garvey, the main drag with most of the restaurants on it).

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:28:45ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Paul Tauger wrote:
> "Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>
>>Sorry for my typo ... it should be "walk around". :)
>>
>>For local tours, it seems that it is not easy to find one for Six Flags
>>Magic Mountain. I've checked a few Chinese agents over the Internet and
>
> they
>
>>only organize tours to this place with at least a group of 5 people.

> Is Magic Mountain someplace you really want to go on your first visit to the
> US? It's just a big amusement park, and tends to attract a lot of gangs and
> low life. I'm not suggesting it isn't safe, and wouldn't be fun, but,
> particularly if you're going to Disneyland, I'd think that there might be
> other things you'd like to do more.

Personally, I'd skip Magic Mountain, unless you were a big thrill
ride fan. Disneyland is a nicer park for families, and is easier to
get to without a car. Spend the other day on a tour to Pasadena and
Monterey Park....

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:40:25ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Ricky Wong wrote:
>>My wife is from China, and we go to Monterey Park all the time for dinner.
>>We've found some good restaurants, but none as good as what we can get in
>>Hong Kong (or Guangzhou or Beijing, for that matter). You won't be
>>impressed by the restaurants in Monterey Park, but you'll be satisfied.
>>

> How do we get to Monterey Park from Santa Monica ? With carrying two
> big luggages ? Originally I plan to go with Taxi, but because on the
> distance shown on the map, I think it will cost $50 or more, isn't it
> ?

Probably more than that. I'd bite the bullet and haul them on the bus
(hopefully, on off-peak hours when it's not so crowded). How big are
these bags anyway?

Minimally, from Santa Monica to Monterey Park, you'll need two buses
* SM Blue Bus #10 from Santa Monica to Union Station, then transfer to
* MTA #70 (for points along Garvey) or #76 (along Valley Blvd) just
outside of Union Station (these buses don't stop in the Union Station
bus plaza, but just outside of it, so be sure you get off just before
the SM bus goes into the plaza. Ask your driver to let you off at the
stop on Cesar Chavez Bl, just before entering the bus plaza.

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:44:54ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Icono Clast wrote:
> Further, if you want to take the time, you can create a varied
> wardrobe by visiting second-hand stores and getting decent outfits for
> very small sums.

You could, but you'd have to know where to go (undoubtedly taking
longer on the bus from place to placee) and sift through a lot of
dusty junk.

Better yet, buy business suits, etc. in Dallas. Lots of nice stores
there (such as the famous Neiman Marcus, although there are less
expensive places as well).

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:50:34ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Ricky Wong wrote:
> Why some of you said that going to Knott's Berry Farm is better ? From your
> description, Magic Mountain is a very excited place

It is, it's just relatively hard (not impossible) to get to with
public transportation from the rest of the Los Angeles area. That's why
I'm sort of discouraging it, but you *can* take the bus or train up
there if you insist.

> ... I still haven't made
> up my mind so far. The primary hesistation of going to Magic Mountain is :
> it is a bit far and I must rely on local tour. Secondly, since it opens only
> on weekend during Winter, I'm worrying about the querying time for each
> game.

It could be kind of long, especially if there is good weather (we've
had some unseasonably warm days lately.)

Charles Hobbs

Jan 31, 2003, 11:58:22ā€ÆPM1/31/03
Peter L wrote:
> Ricky: First of all, let me tell you there is a large anti-LA element in
> the US and esp. on this ng. I would ignore it. I have lived in LA for 20
> years, and I am also originally from HK. LA is a great place to visit. You
> made the right choice.

I concur. Ricky, don't be afraid of LA or riding the bus there. It's
*different* than what you're used to in Hong Kong, not necessarily
better or worse. It'll be an *adventure*. Just watch your luggage
at all times, and you'll be fine!

> While HK certainly has the best Chinese food, I know lots of HK visitors are
> not used to eating western style food (big piece of meat, cheese, etc.), and
> they all want Chinese food wherever they go, even second rate Chinese food.
> So eventhough Monterey Park is a little far for some locations, it is a very
> nice place to stay. We've never stayed at Lincoln Plaza, but I know it
> caters to Asian tourists a lot. And in the evening you can walk around to
> many Chinese restaurants nearby.

Once I was driving up Garfield street in Monterey Park. Across the
street from the hospital, just north of Garvey, was a little stand,
with maybe 20-30 people lined up in front of it. The menu on the
stand was a chalkboard, written in Chinese characters *only*. I sure
didn't know what they were serving, but it must have been good :-)

RetiredPilot2000

Feb 1, 2003, 1:08:32ā€ÆAM2/1/03
Disney's California Adventure has some new thrill rides.

Icono Clast

Feb 1, 2003, 4:54:02ā€ÆAM2/1/03
"Ricky Wong" <ric...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Why some of you said that going to Knott's Berry Farm is better ?

No, not "better", "better for you" meaning more convenient. Knott's
Berry Farm is about twelve kilometres from DisneyLand. Magic Mountain
is about a hundred.

> From your description, Magic Mountain is a very excited place ...

It is. It's big and has some good rides. Just stay off of FlashBack.

> I'm worrying about the querying time for each game.

It's hard to say what you'll encounter. X-treme is new and unique and
is likely to have long lines. That will also likely be true of
Superman, Goliath, and Deja Vu, also rather new. But Colossus and
Ninja, for examples, will probably not have significant waits. There's
a wonderful Trabant (by another name) there that is likely to not have
any wait at all. Psyclone and Batman will probably have moderate
waits. Free Fall and Gold Rusher, two of my favorites, are likely to
have very short waits. It is safe to say, however, that most of your
day will be standing in line. Of course, that would be the case at
Knott's Berry Farm, too.

Knott's also has the Spirit Lodge (by another name) from the Vancouver
Fair. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Paul Tauger

Feb 1, 2003, 11:40:36ā€ÆAM2/1/03

"Charles Hobbs" <cho...@socal.rr.com> wrote in message

> Ricky Wong wrote:
>
> > This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in
US
> > looks like. In addition, aren't those places like Hollywood,
>
> You can walk around Hollywood Blvd near Vine, it's mostly tacky
> tourist shops. The movie business has long since fled to the San
> Fernando Valley (Universal Studios, etc) or other places.

Well, that's not true. Paramount is in Hollywood (and, I think, has studio
tours). Sunset/Gower, whatever they're calling Desilu these days, and a
number of other smaller studios are also in Hollywood. Thought these are
not generally open to the public, live-audience television shows are shot at
Sunset/Gower and Paramount -- these, of course, are open, though you'd need
tickets.

> There's a new shopping block at Hollywood/Highland, it's mostly
> expensive stores, but it's ok to walk around for a few hours. Also
> accessible by Red Line subway.
>
> > Century City
>
> Mostly high rise apartments and office buildings. Maybe fun to ride
> through on the bus, but I wouldn't make a special trip there.
>

> > and Getty Center in west side worth visit ?
>
> Getty Center is a pretty good art museum,

I've got to disagree about this, too. The Getty is a pretty mediocre museum
that has chosen to spend it's incredibly huge endowment on a Disneyland-like
campus, rather than on the art. The Los Angeles County Art Museum (LACMA)
has a much better collection, and also hosts the major touring art
exhibitions.

Adjacent to LACMA are the LaBrea Tar Pits with their Page Museum -- also
interesting to visit.

If all you want is a good view of Los Angeles, the best view is from the
area around the Griffith Park Observatory. Though the Observatory itself is
closed for renovations, I believe the trails above the parking lot (from
which can be found the best views) are still open.

Paul Tauger

Feb 1, 2003, 11:47:45ā€ÆAM2/1/03

> Peter L wrote:
> > Ricky: First of all, let me tell you there is a large anti-LA element
in
> > the US and esp. on this ng. I would ignore it. I have lived in LA for
20
> > years, and I am also originally from HK. LA is a great place to visit.
You
> > made the right choice.
>
> I concur. Ricky, don't be afraid of LA or riding the bus there. It's
> *different* than what you're used to in Hong Kong, not necessarily
> better or worse. It'll be an *adventure*. Just watch your luggage
> at all times, and you'll be fine!

I guess this is my day for disagreeing with you. ;)

The bus system in LA is very different and much worse from that in Hong
Kong. Depending on the particular bus line, there can be real safety issues
here, which is definitely not the case in Hong Kong and, unlike Hong Kong
where trams run every few minutes, he may find himself waiting 30 minutes or
more for a bus to come by. The Big Blue Bus in (and from) Santa Monica
won't be much of a problem, but some of the downtown routes can be. I know
the OP has little choice about transit, but I don't think he is well served
by telling him that the LA transit system is neither better nor worse than
what he's used to in Hong Kong. It's very much worse.

Charles Hobbs

Feb 1, 2003, 1:26:42ā€ÆPM2/1/03

What I really meant to say last night was the *city* itself was
different than Hong Kong, not that the bus systems are comparable.

As far as safety issues, the areas we talked about are not particularly
bad, arguably more dangerous than Hong Kong, but then again, so is LA
as a whole.

There are some *bad* neighborhoods in LA, but the trips he's talking
about (Getty Center, Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Monterey Park, etc)
aren't in bad neighborhoods, On the outside of Downtown, LA can be
rough, but if he stays in the bus through there, he should have no problem.

All that said, now that I think of it, if they are bus tours to
Magic Mountain and Disneyland from Santa Monica, he may be better off
taking those rather than trying to piece together trips on local
buses, wait for transfers late at night downtown, etc. These tours cost
more (about $60-70, including admission to the park), but you get the
benefit of a nicer bus (coach rather than transit), direct service,
no hassling with sleazy bus stops at night, etc.

Steve Cohen

Feb 2, 2003, 4:48:19ā€ÆAM2/2/03
I had that impression of L.A. also. I was a typical East Coast "L.A.
hater". To my resistance, my company moved me out here 5 years ago from
New York City.
But in living here for awhile now, I can say it's definitely not true
that L.A. is not interesting. In the same sense as New York City, Los
Angeles is like the entire world in one city, just about every nation is
represented here in substantial numbers.
There are also endless diverse neighborhoods, every style of
architecture imaginable, and a thousand strange sites to visit.
It's true that this town doesn't have that easily recognizable charm of
a Chicago or San Francisco. You have to search for it here.
But it's probably the most influential city in the world as it is the
center of "Western" media influence all around the world. So for this,
I recommend seeing it.

> > > This will be my 1st time to visit US and I want to see how a big city in
> US
> > > looks like.
> >

> > Then go to San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia - even Boston.
> >
> > Los Angeles is more typical of a suburb than a big city.
>
> I'll second what Miguel says. Los Angeles is one of the less interesting
> cities in the U.S. As you're finding out, it is very spread out, and quite
> inconvenient to get around without a car. All five cities Miguel mentioned
> are easier to navigate, have more charm, and more things to see and do.
>

> > miguel
> > --
> > Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
> > Latest addition: 80 photos from Guatemala

Miss Taiwan

Feb 2, 2003, 5:16:02ā€ÆAM2/2/03
Visit our site at:

www.go2traveltravel.com

also post a comment on guest book, for an response to your Question