[WWW] Any Interest in a Transformers Radio Show?

Brian Kilby

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99

While at work today, I was weighing the virtues of an online Transformers
radio show....

First off, as a disc jockey, I have the skills, experience and a studio full
of equipment to produce an online TF radio program. And I believe that an
audio show would be an interesting forum for Transfans...web pages and
newsgroups are great but are dependent on text.

I'm wondering if anyone would actually listen to one if it were made.

The details aren't finalized as of yet but there would be a new program on
either a weekly or bi-weekly schedule, lasting somewhere between ten and
thirty minutes. The program would not be streamed off the internet, instead
each episode would be a downloadable MP3 (between two and five megabytes in
size.)

The show would be billed as an interactive Transfan forum.

Perhaps, every once in a while, I might be able to round up an interview
with someone in the upper echelons of the TF production but every episode
would contain a brief interview with a transfan, much like the one that
Blue-Jackal had with her newspaper (and will have on the telly...or however
the British say television :) as I see it, every transfan has his/her own
unique story...and I'm gonna exploit it! :D

Transfans would be able to submit bumpers, skits (phony ads, jokes, etc.) or
anything else that the medium could accommodate.

I see the main virtue of this as being a new, more rich, forum for
Transfans.

The idea's main weakness is the possibility of limited appeal.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks! :)

--
Brian Kilby
Kilb...@abts.net

Botch

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99

Botch says yes and no, but listens////

see, am I truly interested in what others like? no. only if I like it,
too, says Decepticon-esque me.

"Transformers radio show" doth conjure images of The Shadow, Dick Tracy
and Little Orphan Annie, which Botch thinks is very very very cool.

You are a dj, then? Why not actually do a radio show? Script! Sound
effects! Music! Voice overs! Problems! Problems? Yesssss.....

How could one do all this by oneself? Very difficult, indeed, nigh
impossible.

How can one do all this with others over the internet, even in today's
telecommunicative atmosphere? Very difficult.

It would have to be a project that was conceived, planned, assigned,
commanded and orchestrated online, but actually *produced* in person.
Get everything together over the phone, then everybody meet in one place
for one day to perform. Can it be done? Probably not, but maybe.......

The only other problem then is that it would have to be all original
characters, because most TF fans wouldn't tolerate anyone "imitating" or
"impersonating" a known character's voice unless that person was so
stellar it was inarguable. Original characters are a problem because
most of us write shitty, self-aggrandizing or unbelievable original
characters. Except Robert Powers, basically. I'm sure there are others,
but none come to mind.

But it's possible.

Very possible.

Botch conitnues to listen.....

- Botch

Brompton's Cocktail - Botch's NYC cabaret/metal band
http://www.bromptonscocktail.com

Botch's Transformers Box Art Archive
http://cybertron.botch.com/archive

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Brian Kilby

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
Botch <ad...@bromptonscocktail.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> "Transformers radio show" doth conjure images of The Shadow, Dick Tracy
> and Little Orphan Annie, which Botch thinks is very very very cool.

Actually, it's a talk show. It's a show like Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern.

> You are a dj, then? Why not actually do a radio show? Script! Sound
> effects! Music! Voice overs! Problems! Problems? Yesssss.....
>
> How could one do all this by oneself? Very difficult, indeed, nigh
> impossible.

For something like that Botch, yes, that is impossible. :)

I hadn't considered doing that but it would be darn near impossible...what
I'm proposing is very much possible.

Now, if someone else proposed doing a teleplay, I might be interested but be
warned...I can't act. :)

Today, I'll actually type up my proposal and post it so that what I'm saying
is a little clearer.

Corbett Owen

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
In article <rvmgdn...@corp.supernews.com>,
"Brian Kilby" <Kilb...@abts.net> wrote:

> Yeah, I want to do it in RA but I don't exactly know how to encode
the show
> into that format. I'll check out Real's site to see what my options
are.
> MP3, OTOH, I have the software and equipment to encode the stuff now.
I may
> use both formats. MP3 for those who want to download it and listen at
their
> leisure and RA for those who want to listen to it now and for WebTV
users or
> people who have a PC that won't handle a seven megabyte MP3.

Well, my PCTV card came bundled with a RealProducer G2 program, and it
looks like it can quite easily churn out Realaudio clips out of
previous files or do live broadcasts. Unfortunately, since this
program apparently can't change the channel to number 3 (and thusly
record from cable) it hasn't been much use to me. Fortunately, my card
also had other programs packaged with it that could.

Of course, since you're not going to use RealProducer G2 to record TV
programs, that shouldn't be an issue. And, if you just visited
Realplayer's site, you probably know about RPG2 already. But, I just
thought I'd mention it anyway... :>

--
-Corbett Owen, lending what feeble support he can to this project

In the year 2000, the only prophecy you have to worry
about is a self-fulfilling one.

Brian Kilby

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
> Of course, since you're not going to use RealProducer G2 to record TV
> programs, that shouldn't be an issue. And, if you just visited
> Realplayer's site, you probably know about RPG2 already. But, I just
> thought I'd mention it anyway... :>

Yeah, I found that but they were charging $150 for that program, IIRC. A
little high for me. :(

Eh, I already have the MP3 software, no used to pay for more. :)

The file will be no larger than seven megabytes, so anyone can download it
overnight and listen at it to their leisure. MP3 sounds better and is easier
to work with than .ra anyway. My Xing encoder tears through MP3s like they
were tinfoil, all my Real software seams to run like molasses.

Prime Saber

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Brian Kilby wrote:

> > Of course, since you're not going to use RealProducer G2 to record TV
> > programs, that shouldn't be an issue. And, if you just visited
> > Realplayer's site, you probably know about RPG2 already. But, I just
> > thought I'd mention it anyway... :>
>
> Yeah, I found that but they were charging $150 for that program, IIRC. A
> little high for me. :(

They do have a limited free version of it.

Tony Li, the Prime Saber

Index page to the Japanese and Beast Wars Transformers, including
pictures, videos, and my own models of Galvatron and God Ginrai --
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/manwood/484/TF/TF.html

Brian Kilby

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Prime Saber <Prime...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Brian Kilby wrote:
> >
> > > Of course, since you're not going to use RealProducer G2 to record TV
> > > programs, that shouldn't be an issue. And, if you just visited
> > > Realplayer's site, you probably know about RPG2 already. But, I just
> > > thought I'd mention it anyway... :>
> >
> > Yeah, I found that but they were charging $150 for that program, IIRC. A
> > little high for me. :(
>
> They do have a limited free version of it.

Hmmm, I think that I'll check it out, then. Who knows, maybe if I do a
REAL-good job, they'll let me keep it for free. ;)

Brian, who intended no pun whatsoever when he wrote that.