Info Requested: Owen Hart/Blue Blazer Figure

Stephen Leach

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Until shortly after the tragic fall that took Owen Hart's life Sunday,
I wasn't aware that Jakks had released a Blue Blazer action figure.
Though I'm a huge wresling fan and toy collector, I'm not a big fan of
the Jakks stuff. However, the pictures I've seen of the Blue Blazer
figure look really nice (love the cape), and I'd love to have one.

I can still remember how awestruck I was the first time I saw
Owen/Blazer do a backflip off the top rope in the late eighties. Back
then, a moonsault was not a common move, if you can remember. He was
among the first American wrestler to bring that acrobatic style to the
U.S., and I always looked forward to seeing the Blazer wrestle. Blue
Blazer was one of my favorites back then and it looked like the WWF
was going to give the character another shot, with a more fun, ironic
kind of spin. Unfortunately, we won't get to see his sure-to-be
triumphant run at the I.C. title. (I bet he was booked to win, too,
which sucks doubly.)

I am still a little numb about the idea of not seeing the Blue Blazer
or Owen wrestle ever again, or become the main eventer he deserved to
be.

The ghouls on eBay are selling this thing for outrageous prices now,
but isn't this a new figure? Some seller there claims that the Blue
Blazer is a Walmart exclusive, but none of the Walmarts around here
seem to have him.

Does anyone have any more info on this figure? If it's a new one, I'd
rather comb the stores looking for one (or swap another Owen figure
for it...I found a "Black Hart" Owen when I was out today) than have
to stoop to buying from a scalper type.

Thanks in advance for the info!

--Steve
To reply direcly via email, remove "owen" from my email address.

Jeremy Moran

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
The Blazer fig hasn't been out that long, maybe a month at most. And
yes, it *is* a Wally World exclusive. He was already hard to find,
since he is the only new character in the assortment (the rest are Steve
Blackman, Edge, Undertaker, Al Snow, and Dubba J) and because of the
recent unpleasant situation, he's even more in demand. When I found
him, there were several on the pegs, but it's not gonna be easy from
here on out to get one. But keep an eye out, it *is* a nice figure.

+ +
Jeremy Moran, Official Usenet WebTV Apologist
= =
"I really enjoyed watching her wrestle, but quite frankly, I think Big
Sexy would rather see her box." - Kevin Nash

Michael Hall

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Jeremy Moran wrote:

> The Blazer fig hasn't been out that long, maybe a month at most. And
> yes, it *is* a Wally World exclusive. He was already hard to find,
> since he is the only new character in the assortment (the rest are Steve
> Blackman, Edge, Undertaker, Al Snow, and Dubba J) and because of the
> recent unpleasant situation, he's even more in demand. When I found
> him, there were several on the pegs, but it's not gonna be easy from
> here on out to get one. But keep an eye out, it *is* a nice figure.

I'll concur with Jeremy on this one. I don't collect wrestling figures,
but I am a huge wrestling fan, and I got to see one of these on Monday
and it's a nice figure. Well worth picking up.

It would be nice if Jakks did some kind of "Benefit Figure" of Owen that
would see all proceeds donated to the children's charity mentioned on
Raw last Monday night. Possibly in the larger scale with added detail
("Ripped and Ruthless" if that's what it's called). Didn't they do
this with the profits on a Pillman figure or am I mistaken?

At the very least, they should rename the King Of The Ring title to the
"Owen Hart Memorial King of The Ring" event. I had the opportunity to
see Owen wrestle as the Blue Blazer in the late 1980's, and I've watched
him for years upon years. As someone else said, I never knew Owen on a
personal level, but after seeing him on such a consistent basis for so
long, I can't help but feel like I did.

Rest in peace, Owen.

Hail Brak,

Mike

Jeremy Moran

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
>Thanks for the info, Jeremy and Mike!

No problem. It's not like I've got a real life or anything...

>It's a little disgusting watching these things go for
>anywhere from $50 to $150 on eBay.

You think *that's* bad... I posted something on the moderated wrestling
group and got a guy sending me a long list of Owen Hart stuff he had on
eBay. I sent off an email and let him know what I thought of that sort
of thing.

>I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that they
>do a special reissue or something.

That'd be something cool... maybe take Big Bossman or the 12th Steve
Austin variation out of a future assortment and put him in there as a
replacement. For a repaint it's pretty well done, even if you *can* see
all the molding that was originally done for the Patriot mask... and
the non-painted armbands that the Bret Hart arms have add just that
perfect quality of goofiness.

Stephen Leach

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Michael Hall <mike...@mounetREMOVE.com> wrote:

>Rest in peace, Owen.

>Hail Brak,

>Mike

Thanks for the info, Jeremy and Mike!

It's a little disgusting watching these things go for anywhere from
$50 to $150 on eBay. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that

they do a special reissue or something.

--Steve

Nyasuneko

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99

>You think *that's* bad... I posted something on the moderated wrestling
>group and got a guy sending me a long list of Owen Hart stuff he had on
>eBay. I sent off an email and let him know what I thought of that sort
>of thing.

That's disgusting. But you know, there is Toy Karma, and then there is
real-life Karma, which can have even more serious paybacks. Something tells me
someone trying to capitalize on a death like that will face the Karma someday.

>>I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that they
>>do a special reissue or something.
>

>That'd be something cool... maybe take Big Bossman or the 12th Steve
>Austin variation out of a future assortment and put him in there as a
>replacement. For a repaint it's pretty well done, even if you *can* see
>all the molding that was originally done for the Patriot mask... and
>the non-painted armbands that the Bret Hart arms have add just that
>perfect quality of goofiness.

Heehee... It's a shame this figure will be gobbled up by scalpers-- I really
wanted one, and couldn't get one, period, thanks to there not being a Wal Mart
in the general vicinity of NY or anywhere I spend time...

pixie, at work.
don't reply to this address: real adress: pixie (at) cloud9 (dot) net

"Glob is for Hutts, not Humans!"
http://www.angelfire.com/ri/fangeek <---webpage which needs updating

TAFKATroma

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
<<>
>You think *that's* bad... I posted something on the moderated wrestling
>group and got a guy sending me a long list of Owen Hart stuff he had on
>eBay. I sent off an email and let him know what I thought of that sort
>of thing.

That's disgusting. But you know, there is Toy Karma, and then there is
real-life Karma, which can have even more serious paybacks. Something tells me
someone trying to capitalize on a death like that will face the Karma someday.

Its really ghoulish and sick. Something really really bad is going to happen
to them, Karma wise.

>>I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that they
>>do a special reissue or something.
>
>That'd be something cool... maybe take Big Bossman or the 12th Steve
>Austin variation out of a future assortment and put him in there as a
>replacement. For a repaint it's pretty well done, even if you *can* see
>all the molding that was originally done for the Patriot mask... and
>the non-painted armbands that the Bret Hart arms have add just that
>perfect quality of goofiness.

Heehee... It's a shame this figure will be gobbled up by scalpers-- I really
wanted one, and couldn't get one, period, thanks to there not being a Wal Mart
in the general vicinity of NY or anywhere I spend time... >>

I wouldn't want one now, considering some speculative police reports are saying
the Blazer costume getting caught in the release is what caused his death.
TAFKATroma
The Artist Formerly Known As Troma Fan-
"I am not an animal-I'm Melvin, the mop boy!"-Slug
Remove "beaver" to reply.