Wal-Mart's #1?

Viet-Nam

Apr 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/5/99
As has been reported in various websites, Wal-Mart has surpassed TRU as
the #1 toy retailer in the nation. Maybe it's just my area, but I can't
believe that that's possible. All the Wal-marts in my area have
miniscule toy departments, one or two aisles at the most. What is
available usually consists of Hasbro SW, Bandai Power Rangers and, more
recently, Toybiz and Jakks wrestling figs. How is it that they're #1?
Is it because there are so many Walmart chains nationwide? Or is it
because their inventory is so small that what they do carry sells very
well (all the kiddie stuff)?

Is this how it is in everyone's area?

Viet-Nam

Kevin Johnston

Apr 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/5/99

Viet-Nam <uro...@vmmc.org> wrote:
> As has been reported in various websites, Wal-Mart has surpassed TRU as
> the #1 toy retailer in the nation. Maybe it's just my area, but I can't
> believe that that's possible. All the Wal-marts in my area have
> miniscule toy departments, one or two aisles at the most.

Keep in mind that Walmart is king of small town America. (In more ways
than one...) Along most major highways in the US, you can go from town to
town and find a Walmart in towns that are too small to support a TRU.

Walmart has 2000 US locations. TRU has, I think, 600 (might be 800, I forget).

> ... What is

> available usually consists of Hasbro SW, Bandai Power Rangers and, more
> recently, Toybiz and Jakks wrestling figs. How is it that they're #1?

They suck in my area, too, and aren't very numerous (SF Bay area, CA). But
drive two hours out into the country-- they're *everywhere*. They are only
recently making inroads in urban and heavily suburban areas.

Kevin

Terry Roofe

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Tis true, this has been reported by all the major networks...seems
TRU is dropping off in the sales department, maybe its time they
re-think the way they receive and ship out new merchandise to their
stores, maybe then TRU will regain the title...

Viet-Nam (uro...@vmmc.org)

wrote:
: As has been reported in various websites, Wal-Mart has surpassed TRU as
: the #1 toy retailer in the nation. Maybe it's just my area, but I can't
: believe that that's possible. All the Wal-marts in my area have

: miniscule toy departments, one or two aisles at the most. What is

: available usually consists of Hasbro SW, Bandai Power Rangers and, more
: recently, Toybiz and Jakks wrestling figs. How is it that they're #1?

: Is it because there are so many Walmart chains nationwide? Or is it

TAFKATroma

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
<<Viet-Nam <uro...@vmmc.org> wrote:

: Is this how it is in everyone's area?

Our Walmarts pretty much suck. We hardly ever go in there, and when
we do, it's a scary experience. There's even a Super Walmart with
a huge toy section, but we've never found anything there at all.>>

I think Walmart sucks the life out of me whenever I go there. I actually
collect wrestling figures, but the ones they have are the pegwarmers, and
that's pretty much it.

Everytime I go there its like it takes 5 minutes away that you can't get back.
Scary.

At least there's Toys R Us next door.
TAFKATroma
The Artist Formerly Known As Troma Fan-
"I am not an animal...I'm Melvin, the mop boy!"-Slug
"I told you to call me Ellie Maye, I asked ya nice!"-Billy Bob
REMOVE "SPAMSUX" to reply

Doug Conley.

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
It's a pretty much hit and miss for me. And it depends on what I'm looking
for. If I want Power Rangers or POTF2 stuff, or even Cybors (shudder)
then I can find them. Wal-Mart seems a little scared to carry McToys
stuff. They usually get in a case or two that doesn't last through a
Saturday. Then it takes months for them to restock it. There's this 5
foot long section at the local one were Pokemon used to be. This pegs are
always empty. The only toy that I've gotten from Wal-Mart lately was
Darth Fester for $8 last weekend. I was surprised to see it and glad to
get it. I thought that I had missed out on this clearanced item.

--

Doug Conley
An ME going to ID

O I C U 8 1 2

I do what my RICE CRISPIES tell me to do. (SNAP CRACKEL POP)
You're just jealous that they talk to me.

A cubical is nothing more than a padded cell without a door.

Viet-Nam

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
Doug Conley. wrote:

> Wal-Mart seems a little scared to carry McToys
> stuff. They usually get in a case or two that doesn't last through a
> Saturday. Then it takes months for them to restock it.

Well, for a while, they had banned McToys because of the "satanic"
nature of the toys, if I remember correctly. I was surprised to see
that they started carrying the lines again, especially the Movie
Maniacs.

Viet-Nam

Viet-Nam

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
Terry Roofe wrote:

> Tis true, this has been reported by all the major networks...seems
> TRU is dropping off in the sales department, maybe its time they
> re-think the way they receive and ship out new merchandise to their
> stores, maybe then TRU will regain the title...

But then again, their new shipping/ordering methods were put in place
because they were losing massive amounts of money. I do agree, though,
that they need to fix the timeliness of their shipping. TRU always
seems to be last in my area to get new stuff. This hurts them even more
since the other mass-market discounters usually have cheaper prices even
if it's only by a quarter or so.

Viet-Nam

TAFKATroma

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
<< Well, for a while, they had banned McToys because of the "satanic"
nature of the toys, if I remember correctly. I was surprised to see
that they started carrying the lines again, especially the Movie
Maniacs.>>

Local walmart took all its MGS and Kiss off the shelf, but left CyGor2 by
mistake. I guess they couldn't figure out which ones were supposed to be the
"satanic" ones.

Viet-Nam

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
TAFKATroma wrote:

> Local walmart took all its MGS and Kiss off the shelf, but left CyGor2 by
> mistake. I guess they couldn't figure out which ones were supposed to be the
> "satanic" ones.

Are you sure they took them off permanently or are they doing it for
reorganizing or sale purposes? I don't see why would they take Kiss off
especially since they've sold the last 2 assortments (heck, that's how I
picked up the original line when they cleared it out via their
website!). MGS, I suppose, can be considered a bit racier because of
some of the sculpts but the figs aren't that bad. I think they
originally took Spawn off the shelves because of Malebolgia.

Viet-Nam

TAFKATroma

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
<<It's the gas! Target has it too. I can't be in either place for
more than 5 minutes without getting sleepy/grumpy. It doesn't happen
at TRU or KB. But they have something that makes you stupid so you'll
actually think about buying that dead ladybug baby doll and setting
it on your co-worker's desk. >>

That explains why mine always smells like incecticide, even though they keep
that out back in the garden area.

hurricane567

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99

IMHO,'Cuz there's 2X as many Wal Nuts as TRU's and they sell stuff for a lot
cheaper.

In article <370903...@vmmc.org>,

Viet-Nam <uro...@vmmc.org> wrote:
> As has been reported in various websites, Wal-Mart has surpassed TRU as
> the #1 toy retailer in the nation. Maybe it's just my area, but I can't
> believe that that's possible. All the Wal-marts in my area have
> miniscule toy departments, one or two aisles at the most. What is
> available usually consists of Hasbro SW, Bandai Power Rangers and, more
> recently, Toybiz and Jakks wrestling figs. How is it that they're #1?
> Is it because there are so many Walmart chains nationwide? Or is it
> because their inventory is so small that what they do carry sells very
> well (all the kiddie stuff)?
>

> Is this how it is in everyone's area?
>

> Viet-Nam

Hurricane
hurric...@hotmail.com
Hurricane's Hangout http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/6321

villai...@juno.com

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
In article <kjohnston-ya023680...@news.apple.com>,

kjoh...@apple.com (Kevin Johnston) wrote:
> Walmart has 2000 US locations.

that's 2000! sucky locations, folks!!!!!!

> They suck in my area, too, and aren't very numerous (SF Bay area, CA). But
> drive two hours out into the country-- they're *everywhere*. >

> Kevin

and they suck out in the country too, i'm afraid. i went through missouri toy
hunting, and into arkansas, and all of them were equally crappy and unstocked,
but then, so is TRU a lot of times, unless you want power rangers or a BIKE!
HEE HEE!!!!