OT: Daniel Day-Lewis is the GOAT actor!

grif

Feb 25, 2013, 7:50:58 AM2/25/13
Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — Statistically speaking, there are other actors with as
many Oscar trophies as Daniel Day-Lewis. Jack Nicholson has three. So
does Walter Brennan.

But with his win Sunday night for the title role in Lincoln, Lewis
becomes the first actor to win three best-actor Academy Awards, adding
the top prize to those for 2007's There Will Be Blood and 1989's My Left
Foot. The other three-time winners took home at least one
best-supporting-actor statuette.

"I really don't know how any of this happened,'' said Day-Lewis in his
graceful acceptance speech. "I do know that I've received so much more
than my fair share of good fortune in my life.''

With the win, Day-Lewis becomes the center of a debate that has been
brewing among industry observers since Lincoln hit screens Nov. 9: Is he
the greatest film actor of all time?

Some observers say Sunday night helped Day-Lewis eclipse contemporaries
including Robert De Niro (who has won two Oscars), Dustin Hoffman (two)
and even Nicholson (three, including one for supporting actor). Others
compare him with Marlon Brando (two Oscars) and Spencer Tracy (two).

If you include actresses, Katharine Hepburn remains Oscar's official
darling with four best-actress wins.

But Lewis "is viewed as the greatest actor of the current day," says
Steve Pond, Oscar analyst for industry site Thewrap.com. "Historians
will decide whether he deserves comparison with the people of the past.
But there's no doubt (Sunday night's award) sealed the deal as our
greatest living actor."

David Poland of Moviecitynews.com questions whether the comparison
should stop with living actors.

"He's like Olivier in his prime," Poland says of Laurence Olivier, who
won the best-actor award for Hamlet and was nominated nine other times
for acting.

Because Day-Lewis does so few movies, "you expect something spectacular
when he's got a film out," Poland says. "He's more selective than
Brando, and it's turned his movies into events."

"There's an aura about him," says Jeremy Kay, U.S. editor of trade
publication Screen International. "People still say that De Niro in the
1970s was extraordinary, but (Day-Lewis) is now arguably the greatest
living actor."

Other's aren't so quick to make that claim. Tom O'Neil of awards site
GoldDerby.com argues that hardware doesn't define an actor's legend.

"The only thing winning three Oscars revealed about Daniel Day-Lewis is
that Hollywood thinks he's as good as Walter Brennan," who won three
supporting-actor trophies for Come and Get It (1936), Kentucky (1938)
and The Westerner (1940).

"Winning Oscars tells us nothing about acting brilliance," says O'Neil,
who notes that 2009's Nine won few few plaudits for Lewis and earned
less than a quarter of its $80 million budget at the box office.

"Arguably, Hollywood's greatest actors have been Oscar's biggest
losers," O'Neil says, "including Peter O'Toole (0 wins from 8
nominations), Richard Burton (0-7) and Glenn Close (0-6)."

Whatever your take, "it's a fun argument," Kay says. "People have begun
expecting greatness before his movies come out."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/02/24/daniel-day-lewis-oscars/1938091/

Iceberg

Feb 25, 2013, 8:11:25 AM2/25/13
> http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/02/24/daniel-day-lewis...

Yes English actors and actresses are certainly the Oscar GOATS!

drew

Feb 25, 2013, 11:02:13 AM2/25/13
On 25 Feb, 07:50, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
>
> LOS ANGELES — Statistically speaking, there are other actors with as
> many Oscar trophies as Daniel Day-Lewis. Jack Nicholson has three. So
> does Walter Brennan.

Phoenix was better IMO.

Vlado

Feb 25, 2013, 11:19:40 AM2/25/13
> http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/02/24/daniel-day-lewis...

Never heard of him but then again I haven't seen a movie in a decade
at least.
Really boring and waste of time and money.

grif

Feb 25, 2013, 1:32:51 PM2/25/13
On 25/02/2013 16:19, Vlado wrote:

> Never heard of him but then again I haven't seen a movie in a decade
> at least.

For you, I'd recommend Silver Linings Playbook or Life of Pi.

TT

Feb 25, 2013, 1:44:39 PM2/25/13
Life of Pi should have gotten Best Pic instead of Argo. Argo is ok but
simplistic plot and in the end rather mediocre film... it was chosen
because Academy is American. While life of Pi was a standout, something
you don't forget easily.

It's like choosing Hurt Locker over Avatar... Yes, Hurt What...

Although I wasn't overly impressed with Pi either, it rubs me the wrong
way when I can see the tiger being CGI...

My favourite was Denzel's Flight... which wasn't nominated. Haven't seen
Lincoln or Silver whatever.

The host was good. Shirley Bassey stole the show.

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY INCLUDE LARRY HAGMAN IN MEMORABILIA!!! OUTRAGE!!!

Oh yes, and DDL is no match for Nicholson/Hoffman despite the "silverware".

grif

Feb 25, 2013, 2:03:45 PM2/25/13
On 25/02/2013 18:44, TT wrote:
> Life of Pi should have gotten Best Pic instead of Argo. Argo is ok but
> simplistic plot and in the end rather mediocre film... it was chosen
> because Academy is American. While life of Pi was a standout, something
> you don't forget easily.

I haven't seen Argo/Les Mis/Amour/Beasts, but Life of Pi was my personal
favourite of the ones I did see.

> It's like choosing Hurt Locker over Avatar... Yes, Hurt What...
>
> Although I wasn't overly impressed with Pi either, it rubs me the wrong
> way when I can see the tiger being CGI...

I actually thought the tiger was amazing!

> My favourite was Denzel's Flight... which wasn't nominated. Haven't seen
> Lincoln or Silver whatever.
>
> The host was good. Shirley Bassey stole the show.

Ted and Mark Wahlberg were cool.

> WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY INCLUDE LARRY HAGMAN IN MEMORABILIA!!! OUTRAGE!!!
>
> Oh yes, and DDL is no match for Nicholson/Hoffman despite the "silverware".

Peibs! Since DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood, I've thought for
a while that he might be the best living actor around and I'm a big fan
of De Niro. I do like Hoffman, but not sure if Dustin is even as good as
De Niro or Al Pacino.

drew

Feb 25, 2013, 2:13:20 PM2/25/13
On 25 Feb, 14:03, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Peibs! Since DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood, I've thought for
> a while that he might be the best living actor around and I'm a big fan
> of De Niro. I do like Hoffman, but not sure if Dustin is even as good as
> De Niro or Al Pacino.

I like Hoffman...Philip Seymour...I think he's an extraordinary
character actor
whereas Pacino and DeNiro are most effective when playing tough guy
roles.

PS Hoffman can transform himself into his character....you have to
look twice to
convince yourself that it's the same guy. That kind of acting is
rarely seen.

SliceAndDice

Feb 25, 2013, 2:16:52 PM2/25/13
+1. Hoffman deserved the best supporting Oscar this year over Waltz.

grif

Feb 25, 2013, 2:24:40 PM2/25/13
Yeah, I know what you're saying. He's probably not as popular cos he
looks a bit weird and he plays "weirdos" too, but Philip Seymour has
huge acting chops, no doubt about it. I've seen a lot of Paul Thomas
Anderson's work, but I didn't get to see The Master.

TT

Feb 25, 2013, 3:35:06 PM2/25/13
I was talking about Dustin Hoffman. Guess PSH is ok too, haven't seen
Capote so can not comment on that one... I don't recall any memorable
roles from him so I'm inclined to think he's a bit overrated...

DeNiro...the most overrated actor ever. Imo he plain sucks. Always the
same mannerisms, gestures and corny facial twists. The guy has been
basically doing same character all his career, being exactly same in all
of his roles. Yeah, he got fat for Raging Bull, congrats. The most
talentless actor ever. Analyze that, fockers.

Oh wait, let's not forget Marlon Brando. Unless couple cotton balls and
lots of mumbling makes one a great actor...
But hey he got a good pay day for playing Superman's father. For what
exactly?

drew

Feb 25, 2013, 3:39:02 PM2/25/13
On 25 Feb, 14:24, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I know what you're saying. He's probably not as popular cos he
> looks a bit weird and he plays "weirdos" too, but Philip Seymour has
> huge acting chops, no doubt about it. I've seen a lot of Paul Thomas
> Anderson's work, but I didn't get to see The Master

I was very impressed with the acting and the story. When I had read
that it
was about scientology I was put off watching it a little but it really
isn't about
scientology at all.

Highly recommended. A film you'll probably enjoy watching a second
time.

drew

Feb 25, 2013, 3:58:16 PM2/25/13
On 25 Feb, 15:35, TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

> DeNiro...the most overrated actor ever. Imo he plain sucks. Always the
> same mannerisms, gestures and corny facial twists. The guy has been
> basically doing same character all his career, being exactly same in all
> of his roles. Yeah, he got fat for Raging Bull, congrats. The most
> talentless actor ever. Analyze that, fockers.

Movie fans love familiar roles from familiar faces. I wouldn't say
that De Niro is
without talent at all. But he's not a character actor. He's
comfortable in certain
roles and rarely strays out of his comfort zone.

> Oh wait, let's not forget Marlon Brando. Unless couple cotton balls and
> lots of mumbling makes one a great actor...
> But hey he got a good pay day for playing Superman's father. For what
> exactly?

Who knows? Some performers seem to attract a loyal fan base that
adores them
until they die. See Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley...

Of course you know a thing or two about loyalty to a certain
performer, don't you? :-)

grif

Feb 25, 2013, 4:13:21 PM2/25/13
Funnily enough, I'd heard, at the time, that it was based slightly on L.
Ron Hubbard and that was what interested me a bit. I remember the
reviewers were raving over the peformances of Phoenix and Hoffman and
suggesting Oscars, but this was before Lincoln was released.

I probably will see it eventually. The director usually makes
interesting movies.

grif

Feb 25, 2013, 4:29:29 PM2/25/13
On 25/02/2013 20:35, TT wrote:
> 25.2.2013 21:13, drew kirjoitti:
>> On 25 Feb, 14:03, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Peibs! Since DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood, I've thought for
>>> a while that he might be the best living actor around and I'm a big fan
>>> of De Niro. I do like Hoffman, but not sure if Dustin is even as good as
>>> De Niro or Al Pacino.
>>
>> I like Hoffman...Philip Seymour...I think he's an extraordinary
>> character actor
>> whereas Pacino and DeNiro are most effective when playing tough guy
>> roles.
>>
>> PS Hoffman can transform himself into his character....you have to
>> look twice to
>> convince yourself that it's the same guy. That kind of acting is
>> rarely seen.
>>

> I was talking about Dustin Hoffman. Guess PSH is ok too, haven't seen
> Capote so can not comment on that one... I don't recall any memorable
> roles from him so I'm inclined to think he's a bit overrated...

He's the dude that tried to kill Tom Cruise in one of the mission
impossible movies! Hated him so, yeah, he pulled off a despicable twat
of a character really well. Good job!

> DeNiro...the most overrated actor ever. Imo he plain sucks. Always the
> same mannerisms, gestures and corny facial twists. The guy has been
> basically doing same character all his career, being exactly same in all
> of his roles. Yeah, he got fat for Raging Bull, congrats. The most
> talentless actor ever. Analyze that, fockers.

BTW, the dialogue of Raging Bull is hilarious.

Vlado

Feb 25, 2013, 5:34:34 PM2/25/13
Sorry but every movie I try to watch , the more I hate them or rather
annoyed by them. I just got a new PC so I downloaded two recent movies
that I tried to watch but couldn't since they were so boring (Argo and
Breaking dawn). That's it , I just don't think movies are relevant
anymore
other than crude propaganda vehicles. People forget that movies are a
very recent invention , not even one generation.

Javier González

Feb 25, 2013, 8:37:26 PM2/25/13
to as...@dprk.kp
On Monday, February 25, 2013 3:44:39 PM UTC-3, TT wrote:
> Life of Pi should have gotten Best Pic instead of Argo. Argo is ok but
>
> simplistic plot and in the end rather mediocre film... it was chosen
>
> because Academy is American. While life of Pi was a standout, something
>
> you don't forget easily.
>

> It's like choosing Hurt Locker over Avatar... Yes, Hurt What...

Dances with Smurfs sucked on ice.

Scott

Feb 25, 2013, 8:44:51 PM2/25/13
On Feb 25, 7:50 am, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/02/24/daniel-day-lewis...

Anyone who compares the wooden, deadly-dull Day-Lewis with "Olivier in
his prime" has to be a paid shill.

There's no American actors who reach the Depardieu/Auteuil standard,
of playing drama and comedy with conviction. If the Academy Awards
were anything but a total joke, foreign films (i.e., non-US) would win
"best picture" year after year.

bob

Feb 25, 2013, 9:39:32 PM2/25/13
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:50:58 +0000, grif <griff...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
3 BAO's tough to beat. but you have to factor in "clown era", who did
he beat in finals, how wide is his range, etc., no? :-)

i saw lincoln and thought it ok, but not one of the best 3 movies i
saw this yr. didn't think argo was one of top 5 i saw.

bob

bob

Feb 25, 2013, 9:40:30 PM2/25/13
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:32:51 +0000, grif <griff...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
those were my choices for best 2 movies of 2012.

bob

bob

Feb 25, 2013, 9:42:32 PM2/25/13
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:44:39 +0200, TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:

>Life of Pi should have gotten Best Pic instead of Argo. Argo is ok but
>simplistic plot and in the end rather mediocre film... it was chosen
>because Academy is American. While life of Pi was a standout, something
>you don't forget easily.
>
>It's like choosing Hurt Locker over Avatar... Yes, Hurt What...
>
>Although I wasn't overly impressed with Pi either, it rubs me the wrong
>way when I can see the tiger being CGI...

but in Pi, i thought the story was far more than the CGI tiger...

>My favourite was Denzel's Flight... which wasn't nominated. Haven't seen
>Lincoln or Silver whatever.

denzel was nominated though. my dad saw it and thought it was maybe
best he saw this yr.

>The host was good. Shirley Bassey stole the show.
>WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY INCLUDE LARRY HAGMAN IN MEMORABILIA!!! OUTRAGE!!!
>Oh yes, and DDL is no match for Nicholson/Hoffman despite the "silverware".

the german/austrian in django was exceptional. IMO.

bob

bob

Feb 25, 2013, 9:43:49 PM2/25/13
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 19:24:40 +0000, grif <griff...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
i saw the master - thought joaquin phoenix' work was topnotch. better
than hoffman's by good margin.

bob

Court_1

Feb 25, 2013, 10:51:54 PM2/25/13
Disagree. Daniel Day-Lewis is right up there with Dustin Hoffman and
Nicholson and DDL is the sexiest actor out of the lot. I can't stand
Denzel Washington and his name should not be mentioned in the same
sentence with the other three above imo.

Court_1

Feb 25, 2013, 10:56:13 PM2/25/13
The problem with DeNiro is he is overexposed. He will take ANY role in
any movie it seems no matter how poor the script is which makes me
believe he needs the money for some reason and that in itself is hard
to believe or respect. With his overexposure and the terrible parts in
terrible movies he plays, it is hard to put him in the same great
actor league with some of the others. If he would have been more
selective in his movie roles it may have been a different story.

Court_1

Feb 25, 2013, 11:01:36 PM2/25/13
Daniel Day Lewis is right up there with Olivier and I love Laurence
Olivier and think he is one of the best actors ever most definitely.
Olivier was also a sexy leading man when he was younger--i.e.in
Wuthering Heights for example.

Court_1

Feb 25, 2013, 11:05:06 PM2/25/13
On Feb 25, 9:43 pm, bob <b...@nospam.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 19:24:40 +0000, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com>
Yes Joaquin Phoenix is a very good actor, also one of the best today,
but I have not yet seen the Master.

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 2:55:41 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 5:51, Court_1 kirjoitti:
> On Feb 25, 1:44 pm, TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:
>> Life of Pi should have gotten Best Pic instead of Argo. Argo is ok but
>> simplistic plot and in the end rather mediocre film... it was chosen
>> because Academy is American. While life of Pi was a standout, something
>> you don't forget easily.
>>
>> It's like choosing Hurt Locker over Avatar... Yes, Hurt What...
>>
>> Although I wasn't overly impressed with Pi either, it rubs me the wrong
>> way when I can see the tiger being CGI...
>>
>> My favourite was Denzel's Flight... which wasn't nominated. Haven't seen
>> Lincoln or Silver whatever.
>>
>> The host was good. Shirley Bassey stole the show.
>>
>> WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY INCLUDE LARRY HAGMAN IN MEMORABILIA!!! OUTRAGE!!!
>>
>> Oh yes, and DDL is no match for Nicholson/Hoffman despite the "silverware".
>
> Disagree. Daniel Day-Lewis is right up there with Dustin Hoffman and
> Nicholson and DDL is the sexiest actor out of the lot.

So he got a dingbat Oscar it appears. "Because he is sexy".

> I can't stand
> Denzel Washington

He must be doing something right then...

--
She swore she'd never succumb to men's desires again. But even a village
spinster's life miles from temptation can't save her from a sister with

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 2:57:15 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 6:01, Court_1 kirjoitti:
> On Feb 25, 8:44 pm, Scott <scott...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 7:50 am, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
>>
>>> LOS ANGELES � Statistically speaking, there are other actors with as
Gay

Patrick Kehoe

Feb 26, 2013, 3:09:08 AM2/26/13
Among men, yes DDL brilliant and Hoffman is a great actor, good pick... Johnny Depp amazing character actor, Jean Reno, Ken Watanabe, William Hurt, Kenneth Branaugh, James Franco, Mark Ruffalo, Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, Geoffery Rush, Tom Hardy... [taking a breath] Michael Fassbender, Jeff Daniels and William H. Macy can be amazing... Terrence Howard, Anthony Hopkins, Jeff Bridges, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Chris Cooper, Michael Sheen, Tim Olyphant, Tom Wilkinson, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Alan Rickman... my god... there are a lot of good actors out there... many have come to mind and others I can't remember off the top of my head...

SO MANY really...

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 3:13:51 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 4:42, bob kirjoitti:
> denzel was nominated though. my dad saw it and thought it was maybe
> best he saw this yr.

Your dad is probably right...

For what it's worth, this is how I have rated 2012 films I've seen:

Flight 8
Looper 8
The Avengers 8
Dark Shadows 8
The Dictator 8
Trouble with the Curve 8
Big Miracle 8

Argo 7
Life of Pi 7
The Hunger Games 7
Battleship 7
Lawless 7
Ted 7
John Carter 7
Men in Black 3 7
Safety Not Guaranteed 7
American Reunion 7
Chronicle 7
Arbitrage 7
Wrath of the Titans 7
Safe House 7
Stolen 7
Contraband 7
Get the Gringo 7

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 6
The Bourne Legacy 6
Total Recall 6
The Expendables 2 6
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 6
The Campaign 6
Lockout 6
Underworld: Awakening 6
Red Lights 6
6 Bullets 6

Django Unchained 5
Prometheus 5
Moonrise Kingdom 5
The Amazing Spider-Man 5
Snow White and the Huntsman 5
The Watch 5
The Cold Light of Day 5
Red Tails 5
The Baytown Outlaws 5

The Dark Knight Rises 4
End of Watch 4
Taken 2 4

Iron Sky 3
Cloud Atlas 2

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 3:49:46 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 0:34, Vlado kirjoitti:
> Sorry but every movie I try to watch , the more I hate them or rather
> annoyed by them. I just got a new PC so I downloaded two recent movies
> that I tried to watch but couldn't since they were so boring (Argo and
> Breaking dawn). That's it , I just don't think movies are relevant
> anymore

Clearly you are above such feeble-minded form of entertainment.

> other than crude propaganda vehicles. People forget that movies are a
> very recent invention , not even one generation.

Yet you use computer.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 5:07:29 AM2/26/13

you like too many of those sci-fi and movies in the future and cgi
shit. i guess it suits your fairy tale tennis disposition too.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:13:31 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 12:11 AM, Iceberg wrote:
> Yes English actors and actresses are certainly the Oscar GOATS!

I think the best actors are the ones who can morph into completely
different people & give the air that's who they've been their whole
lives. There are very few who can pull this off successfully, & DDL is
amazing in that regard. Lincoln was hard going early on, but his
performance was so captivating it just drew you in & made a rather
pedestrian movie pretty damn good & fun to watch. I felt like I was
watching the real Abe Lincoln.

Guys like Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood, Tom Hanks & Leo Di Caprio are
great characters with gravitas, but they essentially are playing
themselves every time. You can throw in old time guys like Bogart &
Spency to that list. To me this is a lesser class of actor. They are
very good & draw audiences, but it takes less talent. It's like
comparing Lendl/Djoker types to sublime geniuses like Mac/Federer.

Christoph Waltz is also phenomenal - one of the best actors I've ever
seen. His effort in Django was sublime, even better than IB. He became
a completely different person to what he is in real life. That kind of
ability is freakish.

DDL & Waltz are living legends & the best of modern era. I easily call
them true acting geniuses.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:40:45 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 3:19 AM, Vlado wrote:
> Never heard of him but then again I haven't seen a movie in a decade
> at least.
> Really boring and waste of time and money.

I tend to agree, but there are a few gems out there. Very few in fact.
Most leave you feeling brain dead & you actually feel your life
slipping away.

Lincoln & Django aren't great movies, but the acting ability of DDL &
Waltz in those roles is out of this world.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:48:04 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 6:03 AM, grif wrote:

>> Oh yes, and DDL is no match for Nicholson/Hoffman despite the
>> "silverware".
>
> Peibs! Since DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood, I've thought for
> a while that he might be the best living actor around and I'm a big fan
> of De Niro. I do like Hoffman, but not sure if Dustin is even as good as
> De Niro or Al Pacino.

DDL is better than all those guys, & so is Waltz.

It's one thing being a great character with charisma (Eastwood,
Nicholson, Freeman etc), but quite another to morph into someone
unrecognizable.

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 5:48:39 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 12:13, Whisper kirjoitti:

> I think the best actors are the ones who can morph into completely
> different people & give the air that's who they've been their whole
> lives. There are very few who can pull this off successfully, & DDL is
> amazing in that regard. Lincoln was hard going early on, but his
> performance was so captivating it just drew you in & made a rather
> pedestrian movie pretty damn good & fun to watch. I felt like I was
> watching the real Abe Lincoln.

Not sure if I want to watch Abe Lincoln for couple of hours...

> Guys like Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood, Tom Hanks & Leo Di Caprio are
> great characters with gravitas, but they essentially are playing
> themselves every time.

Morgan Freeman is great with his magical negro.
Clint Eastwood...yeah, basically same tough guy but has evolved in his
late days.
Tom Hanks - I disagree. Completely different in Forrest Gump, Terminal,
Cast Away etc
DiCaprio... I disagree, think he's pretty versatile.

You can throw in old time guys like Bogart &
> Spency to that list.

Bogart yes, Tracy not so much.

> To me this is a lesser class of actor. They are
> very good & draw audiences, but it takes less talent. It's like
> comparing Lendl/Djoker types to sublime geniuses like Mac/Federer.

Yeah, slicing that backhand over and over again sure is genius. Tennis
is about winning, not style.

> Christoph Waltz is also phenomenal - one of the best actors I've ever
> seen. His effort in Django was sublime, even better than IB. He became
> a completely different person to what he is in real life. That kind of
> ability is freakish.

No doubt Walz is great. Then again I think he played pretty much same
character in "Django" as he did with his previous Oscar role...

> DDL & Waltz are living legends & the best of modern era. I easily call
> them true acting geniuses.

Not sure about DDL. I recall liking Last Mohican. Age of Innocence I
never could finish despite having DDL and Pfeiffer... hate those costume
dramas. Gangs of New York sucked.

I must say I've never been impressed by DDL much, apart perhaps from
Last Mohican. Maybe I haven't seen couple of his best performances -
although I believe "being" Lincoln is sort of an easy role to pull off
an Oscar... Academy loves "transition", yet I think many would be able
to pull that off with enough makeup and beard...

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:49:12 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 6:16 AM, SliceAndDice wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2:13 pm, drew <d...@technologist.com> wrote:
>> On 25 Feb, 14:03, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Peibs! Since DDL's performance in There Will Be Blood, I've thought for
>>> a while that he might be the best living actor around and I'm a big fan
>>> of De Niro. I do like Hoffman, but not sure if Dustin is even as good as
>>> De Niro or Al Pacino.
>>
>> I like Hoffman...Philip Seymour...I think he's an extraordinary
>> character actor
>> whereas Pacino and DeNiro are most effective when playing tough guy
>> roles.
>>
>> PS Hoffman can transform himself into his character....you have to
>> look twice to
>> convince yourself that it's the same guy. That kind of acting is
>> rarely seen.
>
> +1. Hoffman deserved the best supporting Oscar this year over Waltz.

Nope. Waltz is one of the very best actors ever.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:52:03 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 7:39 AM, drew wrote:
> On 25 Feb, 14:24, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I know what you're saying. He's probably not as popular cos he
>> looks a bit weird and he plays "weirdos" too, but Philip Seymour has
>> huge acting chops, no doubt about it. I've seen a lot of Paul Thomas
>> Anderson's work, but I didn't get to see The Master
>
> I was very impressed with the acting and the story. When I had read
> that it
> was about scientology I was put off watching it a little but it really
> isn't about
> scientology at all.
>
> Highly recommended. A film you'll probably enjoy watching a second
> time.

I can think of very few movies I'd watch a 2nd time, but I'd watch
Django/Lincoln again just to marvel at DDL/Waltz genius.

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 5:53:30 AM2/26/13
lol. Quit the crap....

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:53:32 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 7:58 AM, drew wrote:
> On 25 Feb, 15:35, TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:
>
>> DeNiro...the most overrated actor ever. Imo he plain sucks. Always the
>> same mannerisms, gestures and corny facial twists. The guy has been
>> basically doing same character all his career, being exactly same in all
>> of his roles. Yeah, he got fat for Raging Bull, congrats. The most
>> talentless actor ever. Analyze that, fockers.
>
> Movie fans love familiar roles from familiar faces. I wouldn't say
> that De Niro is
> without talent at all. But he's not a character actor. He's
> comfortable in certain
> roles and rarely strays out of his comfort zone.

Yes, like Bogart, Brando, Freeman etc. These guys are very good &
popular characters, but not geniuses in any way.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:56:36 AM2/26/13
Yes I'd say >95% of movies are rubbish. I start watching some & switch
off after a few minutes as they are predictable & dumb, & most surely a
huge waste of leisure time.

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 5:57:04 AM2/26/13
Some insight into DDL's acting method:

The madness of Daniel Day-Lewis – a unique Method that has led to a
deserved third Oscar:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/the-madness-of-daniel-daylewis--a-unique-method-that-has-led-to-a-deserved-third-oscar-8510704.html

The secret of Daniel Day-Lewis' success:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21572983

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 5:59:43 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 1:39 PM, bob wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:50:58 +0000, grif <griff...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
>>
>> LOS ANGELES � Statistically speaking, there are other actors with as
Lincoln as a movie was pedestrian, but DDL was electric imo. Really
surprised me how good he is.

Will watch Argo later this week.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 6:01:01 AM2/26/13
Master has been highly recommended to me, so will have to have a look.

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 6:02:08 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 12:57, grif kirjoitti:
> Some insight into DDL's acting method:
>
> The madness of Daniel Day-Lewis – a unique Method that has led to a
> deserved third Oscar:
> http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/the-madness-of-daniel-daylewis--a-unique-method-that-has-led-to-a-deserved-third-oscar-8510704.html

He sounded somewhat self serving in his acceptance speech... how he
changes from role to role to a different person. Taking himself too
seriously.

Canoes....

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 6:04:51 AM2/26/13
Sounds like you have short attention span...

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 6:30:06 AM2/26/13
On Feb 26, 2:55 am, TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:
> 26.2.2013 5:51, Court_1 kirjoitti:
>

> > On Feb 25, 1:44 pm, TT <as...@dprk.kp> wrote:
> >> Life of Pi should have gotten Best Pic instead of Argo. Argo is ok but
> >> simplistic plot and in the end rather mediocre film... it was chosen
> >> because Academy is American. While life of Pi was a standout, something
> >> you don't forget easily.
>
> >> It's like choosing Hurt Locker over Avatar... Yes, Hurt What...
>
> >> Although I wasn't overly impressed with Pi either, it rubs me the wrong
> >> way when I can see the tiger being CGI...
>
> >> My favourite was Denzel's Flight... which wasn't nominated. Haven't seen
> >> Lincoln or Silver whatever.
>
> >> The host was good. Shirley Bassey stole the show.
>
> >> WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY INCLUDE LARRY HAGMAN IN MEMORABILIA!!! OUTRAGE!!!
>
> >> Oh yes, and DDL is no match for Nicholson/Hoffman despite the "silverware".
>
> > Disagree. Daniel Day-Lewis is right up there with Dustin Hoffman and
> > Nicholson and DDL is the sexiest actor out of the lot.
>
> So he got a dingbat Oscar it appears. "Because he is sexy".
>
> > I can't stand
> > Denzel Washington
>
> He must be doing something right then...

DDL received an Oscar because he is one of the best if not THE best
actors acting today(the fact that I think he is sexy over and above
that is a bonus.) He is not a sellout and does not do 10 movies a
year, he will do a movie once every few years. What is not to like
about his acting? He seems like a bit of a strange guy in real life,
very eccentric but in terms of acting, he is the best.

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 6:42:18 AM2/26/13
Age of Innocence is a great movie, it is based on the Edith Wharton
classic novel which I read and liked. Normally when I read the book
and then see the movie, the movie does not measure up to the book, but
the movie the Age of Innocence did measure up to the book imo.

Re other DDL movies most of his performances are great. I even liked
the movie Nine from a couple of years ago. There Will be Blood was
good, The Ballad of Jack and Rose was a small movie that DDL was in
but it was good too. The Crucible was very good, The Last of the
Mohicans was good, My Left Foot was good, etc. He is mesmerizing to
watch imo, the type of actor that when he is on screen, it is hard to
notice anybody else.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 6:47:04 AM2/26/13
I do for crap. I've stuck through crap movies to the end & there is no
point. You know exactly what's going to happen. Not only do you get
nothing out of it, I believe it causes illness deep inside the body that
morphs into cancer & other ills later on.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 6:50:29 AM2/26/13
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 03:42:18 -0800 (PST), Court_1
<Olymp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> although I believe "being" Lincoln is sort of an easy role to pull off
>> an Oscar... Academy loves "transition", yet I think many would be able
>> to pull that off with enough makeup and beard...
>
>Age of Innocence is a great movie, it is based on the Edith Wharton
>classic novel which I read and liked. Normally when I read the book
>and then see the movie, the movie does not measure up to the book, but
>the movie the Age of Innocence did measure up to the book imo.
>
>Re other DDL movies most of his performances are great. I even liked
>the movie Nine from a couple of years ago. There Will be Blood was
>good, The Ballad of Jack and Rose was a small movie that DDL was in
>but it was good too. The Crucible was very good, The Last of the
>Mohicans was good, My Left Foot was good, etc. He is mesmerizing to
>watch imo, the type of actor that when he is on screen, it is hard to

and in your fantasy you are Countess Olenska?

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 6:51:25 AM2/26/13
in terms of acting i am the best there is. but, i am saving myself.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 6:54:00 AM2/26/13
I agree. Can you see Tom Hanks, Di Caprio or Hoffman pulling off Lincoln?

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 6:54:54 AM2/26/13
On Feb 26, 6:50 am, Dave Hazelwood <fedna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 03:42:18 -0800 (PST), Court_1
>

> <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Not sure if I want to watch Abe Lincoln for couple of hours...

> >> Morgan Freeman is great with his magical negro.
> >> Clint Eastwood...yeah, basically same tough guy but has evolved in his
> >> late days.
> >> Tom Hanks - I disagree. Completely different in Forrest Gump, Terminal,
> >> Cast Away etc
> >> DiCaprio... I disagree, think he's pretty versatile.
>
> >> You can throw in old time guys like Bogart &

> >> Bogart yes, Tracy not so much.

> >> Yeah, slicing that backhand over and over again sure is genius. Tennis
> >> is about winning, not style.

> >> No doubt Walz is great. Then again I think he played pretty much same
> >> character in "Django" as he did with his previous Oscar role...

> >> Not sure about DDL. I recall liking Last Mohican. Age of Innocence I
> >> never could finish despite having DDL and Pfeiffer... hate those costume
> >> dramas. Gangs of New York sucked.
>
> >> I must say I've never been impressed by DDL much, apart perhaps from
> >> Last Mohican. Maybe I haven't seen couple of his best performances -
> >> although I believe "being" Lincoln is sort of an easy role to pull off
> >> an Oscar... Academy loves "transition", yet I think many would be able
> >> to pull that off with enough makeup and beard...
>
> >Age of Innocence is a great movie, it is based on the Edith Wharton
> >classic novel which I read and liked. Normally when I read the book
> >and then see the movie, the movie does not measure up to the book, but
> >the movie the Age of Innocence did measure up to the book imo.
>
> >Re other DDL movies most of his performances are great. I even liked
> >the movie Nine from a couple of years ago. There Will be Blood was
> >good, The Ballad of Jack and Rose was a small movie that DDL was in
> >but it was good too. The Crucible was very good, The Last of the
> >Mohicans was good, My Left Foot was good, etc.  He is mesmerizing to
> >watch imo, the type of actor that when he is on screen, it is hard to
> >notice anybody else.
>
> and in your fantasy you are Countess Olenska?

LOL, not quite. I would never want to be a woman back in those days--
i.e. 1800's.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:00:55 AM2/26/13
That's true. While I don't find him 'sexy', he certainly dominates his
scenes with a seemingly effortless elegance. There were many good
actors in Lincoln, but you hardly notice them.

This was one of those rare movies where you don't feel like you're
watching a movie, rather the real Lincoln in real life situations. He
seemed to capture the essence of the man & made it all look so very
real. No over-acting, just clinical perfection.

I'm pretty tough to please when it comes to movies,

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 7:00:56 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 10:48, TT wrote:

> Not sure about DDL. I recall liking Last Mohican. Age of Innocence I
> never could finish despite having DDL and Pfeiffer... hate those costume
> dramas. Gangs of New York sucked.

Gangs of New York I found watchable because of DDL. Sure it was a bit
OTT, but whenever he was on screen, it was hard to take your eyes off
him. It was like a magnetic presence. It's easy to knock Di Caprio -
he's actually not that bad an actor, but DDL just blew him away.

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:05:41 AM2/26/13
NO! I think Dustin Hoffman in his younger days may have been able to
pull that role off, although Lincoln was supposedly very tall so in
that respect Hoffman would not be right for the role.

Apparently DDL was not Spielberg's first choice for the role of
Lincoln. His first choice was Liam Neeson apparently. WTF? I
definitely can't see Liam Neeson in that role. The only role of Liam
Neeson's that was brilliant was his role in Schindler's List. Every
other thing I have seen him in post Schindler's List has been just ok.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:06:01 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 11:00 PM, grif wrote:
> On 26/02/2013 10:48, TT wrote:
>

>> Not sure about DDL. I recall liking Last Mohican. Age of Innocence I
>> never could finish despite having DDL and Pfeiffer... hate those costume
>> dramas. Gangs of New York sucked.
>>

> Gangs of New York I found watchable because of DDL. Sure it was a bit
> OTT, but whenever he was on screen, it was hard to take your eyes off
> him. It was like a magnetic presence. It's easy to knock Di Caprio -
> he's actually not that bad an actor, but DDL just blew him away.

Di Caprio is good, but he's in that class where I feel like I'm watching
the actor & not the role.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:08:01 AM2/26/13
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:54:00 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:
No but De Niro, Nicholson, Hoffman or Pacino could.

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:12:23 AM2/26/13
Good to know! :)

I think many women find him sexy especially after his role in the Last
of the Mohicans! There are very few actors that I find really sexy
but DDL is one of them. I would watch him act in just about anything.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:12:18 AM2/26/13
Doubt it. Often when I watch those guys I feel like I'm watching
actors. They don't become the character as convincingly as DDL.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:14:16 AM2/26/13
Ok sex appeal sells, nothing wrong with it. I don't see the sexy at
all, so that tells you how good an actor he is.

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 7:15:02 AM2/26/13
Nicholson ?? I like Jack, but if you're gonna talk about people who tend
to just play themselves ...

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:15:32 AM2/26/13
On Feb 26, 7:08 am, Dave Hazelwood <fedna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:54:00 +1100, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com>
DeNiro and Pacino are not as good as DDL imo. Nicholson is a great
actor and is up there with DDL.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:15:55 AM2/26/13
sure, but you like the idea of being divorced and stealing another
woman's man right? that desire is timeless right?

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:19:42 AM2/26/13
On Feb 26, 7:15 am, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2013 12:08, Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:54:00 +1100, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com>
No Nicholson has a wide acting range. He can do drama, comedy, horror,
you name it.

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 7:20:39 AM2/26/13
Yes, he can do all those genres while playing himself :p

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:21:22 AM2/26/13
Yep. I like the guy/his character & will watch his movies, but like
most of the big name actors you essentially see the same guy just
wearing a different shirt. Nothing wrong with that as the guy is
interesting, but truly great actors like DDL stay with you a long time
as you feel like it transcends the movie.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:22:19 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 11:15 PM, Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>>> and in your fantasy you are Countess Olenska?
>>
>> LOL, not quite. I would never want to be a woman back in those days--
>> i.e. 1800's.
>

> sure, but you like the idea of being divorced and stealing another
> woman's man right? that desire is timeless right?

I think you're safe.

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:24:44 AM2/26/13
LOL!

Did you see About Schmidt? That character was very far from
Nicholson's real life "image."

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:25:18 AM2/26/13
LOL. You've got that right!

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:26:59 AM2/26/13
I disagree. I put pacino first, nicholson and hoffman second, and
deNiro third but all three are the greatest in their best roles. and,
any of them could have done a respectable job of portraying lincoln.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:29:13 AM2/26/13
Yeah he's good, but still when I watch him I see Nicholson doing drama,
comedy, horror etc. With DDL I actually saw Lincoln in real time.
That's how it feels. No dramatic over-acting.

Nicholson's range is certainly greater than Pacino/Niro, but imo DDL &
Waltz are naturals & in another class altogether. I can see both of
them winning 4 oscars.

If you watch most guys being interviewed on talk shows like
Letterman/Leno they appear very close to the characters they play in the
movies. DDL & Waltz are like completely different people with zero
resemblance to their characters. That's amazing to me. They may have
some kind of mental illness that allows them to pull it off to that level?

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 7:29:22 AM2/26/13
Yeah, I did. I liked it at the time, but it's still Jack.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:31:15 AM2/26/13
Yes. He's still a drawcard because of his personality/gravitas, but
it's not my idea of a truly great actor. To me an actor means actually
becoming the character to the point your family can't recognize your
personality in the role. With Jack you always know it's Jack.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:33:28 AM2/26/13
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:22:19 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:
Me ? I don't like fat ugly girls with big boobs anyway.

i like beautiful sophisticated women with slender waists, tiny boobs
and juicy succulent CUNTS !

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:35:11 AM2/26/13
I think Lincoln is a very tough gig to pull off convincingly. Just
about anyone else in the role would have qualified it for raspberries imo.

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:36:13 AM2/26/13
On Feb 26, 7:33 am, Dave Hazelwood <fedna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:22:19 +1100, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com>
> wrote:

> >> sure,  but you like the idea of being divorced and stealing another
> >> woman's man right? that desire is timeless right?
>
> >I think you're safe.
>
> Me ? I don't like fat ugly girls with big boobs anyway.

I am not fat or ugly and I definitely do not have big boobs.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:40:04 AM2/26/13
Yeah, I think people take offense when you say their faves essentially
play themselves, but seriously do you ever watch Jack in a role & forget
that it's Jack? I doubt it.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:40:39 AM2/26/13
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:29:13 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:
Hoffman's range is the greatest IMHO but DeNiro has played the
greatest range of roles in practice and survived. Far greater than any
of the other three under discussion here.

It is really hard for me to choose the best between the four. Really
really hard.

In their BEST performance roles I can not imagine any of the four
being outdone by any of the other.

That make it a tough call.

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:42:33 AM2/26/13
On Feb 26, 7:29 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:

> Yeah he's good, but still when I watch him I see Nicholson doing drama,
> comedy, horror etc.  With DDL I actually saw Lincoln in real time.
> That's how it feels.  No dramatic over-acting.

I see your point.

> Nicholson's range is certainly greater than Pacino/Niro

Definitely.

> but imo DDL &
> Waltz are naturals & in another class altogether.  I can see both of
> them winning 4 oscars.

I am with you re DDL. He is simply an excellent actor.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:43:07 AM2/26/13
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:35:11 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>
wrote:
I have not seen it yet. I will now. I know Abe and how the real one
was so my opinion will be final.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:43:53 AM2/26/13
Really? I'm attracted to a wider range of female traits/types. My wife
is slim & shapely, but I find fuller figured women equally attractive.

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 7:45:11 AM2/26/13
Yeah, I mean I like watching Nicholson as much as anyone else. He's got
a great screen presence and I think he's awesome, but you can't really
lose sight of the fact that it's Jack Nicholson. You can never really
lose yourself in the character he's trying to portray.

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:45:29 AM2/26/13
You're NOT !!!!

OMG send me a PIC !!!

Maybe we should not give up on each other so soon ?

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:46:06 AM2/26/13
On Feb 26, 7:43 am, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2013 11:33 PM, Dave Hazelwood wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:22:19 +1100, Whisper <beaver...@ozemail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I think you're safe.
>
> > Me ? I don't like fat ugly girls with big boobs anyway.
>
> > i like beautiful sophisticated women with slender waists, tiny boobs
> > and juicy succulent CUNTS !
>
> Really?  I'm attracted to a wider range of female traits/types.  My wife
> is slim & shapely, but I find fuller figured women equally attractive.

Ok, we will send Kathy Bates right over! ;)

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:47:03 AM2/26/13
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:45:11 +0000, grif <griff...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
yeah, this is so. but, probably equally so with all really famous well
know actors no?

Dave Hazelwood

Feb 26, 2013, 7:48:34 AM2/26/13
Me? Send over Kathy Gifford !!! ;))

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 7:51:08 AM2/26/13
Yeah. It's been mentioned already, but even the article I linked today said:
"...
The paradox about Day-Lewis is that, like Guinness, he is a character
actor who invariably plays leading parts. He is better looking and more
athletic but shares Guinness’s neurotic and aloof quality and his
ability to disappear into roles. He is very different from the great
American method actors like Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino,
who remain recognisably themselves however extreme the characters they
are portraying.
..."

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:52:08 AM2/26/13
On 26/02/2013 11:43 PM, Dave Hazelwood wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:35:11 +1100, Whisper <beav...@ozemail.com>

>>> I disagree. I put pacino first, nicholson and hoffman second, and
>>> deNiro third but all three are the greatest in their best roles. and,
>>> any of them could have done a respectable job of portraying lincoln.
>>>

>> I think Lincoln is a very tough gig to pull off convincingly. Just
>> about anyone else in the role would have qualified it for raspberries imo.
>>

> I have not seen it yet. I will now. I know Abe and how the real one
> was so my opinion will be final.

I wasn't keen on watching it - after all how exciting could it be, 2.5
hrs of American amendments? Still I figured I had to watch it as it was
history in the making for DDL winning 3 oscars for best actor.

It started off slow, & even the wife said it was boring initially, but
we both got sucked right in by DDL's genius & just couldn't turn away.
You just felt like it was Lincoln himself - no dramatic overacting. I
didn't feel like I watched DDL at all.

Court_1

Feb 26, 2013, 7:52:42 AM2/26/13
That is probably because Jack Nicholson is more in your face and has
been a big part of the Hollywood "scene" and has been known as a
player for years. With DDL, there is more of a mystique surrounding
him and you don't hear many things about him except for when he is
promoting a movie role, he essentially disappears to Ireland or NY.
Years ago, he was known as a big womanizer but even then he never
really seemed to be a part of the Hollywood party scene the way
Nicholson was.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:53:58 AM2/26/13
More Nigella Lawson than Kathy thanks.

Whisper

Feb 26, 2013, 7:55:24 AM2/26/13
Yes. That's why DDL & Waltz stand out to me. The disconnect between
real persona & character is amazing.

drew

Feb 26, 2013, 9:08:10 AM2/26/13
On 26 Feb, 07:20, grif <griffin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > No Nicholson has a wide acting range. He can do drama, comedy, horror,
> > you name it.
>
> Yes, he can do all those genres while playing himself :

As much as I've enjoyed some films with Jack Nicholson like One Flew
over the Cuckoo's Nest
and The Last Detail, Jack can't help being Jack.

drew

Feb 26, 2013, 9:10:10 AM2/26/13
On 26 Feb, 07:24, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Did you see About Schmidt? That character was very far from
> Nicholson's real life "image."

That was Jack depressed.

drew

Feb 26, 2013, 9:19:58 AM2/26/13
On 26 Feb, 07:33, Dave Hazelwood <fedna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> i like beautiful sophisticated women with slender waists, tiny boobs
> and juicy succulent CUNTS !

Yes....but a woman who takes care of herself can be quite average. If
she is pleasant and
she really likes to fuck....aaahhhh, god is great.

drew

Feb 26, 2013, 9:22:02 AM2/26/13
On 26 Feb, 07:46, Court_1 <Olympia0...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Really?  I'm attracted to a wider range of female traits/types.  My wife
> > is slim & shapely, but I find fuller figured women equally attractive.
>
> Ok, we will send Kathy Bates right over!

Dreadful thought.

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 10:34:19 AM2/26/13
Nah, I don't follow what's happening with the Hollywood stars. I
generally won't know what's happening with them unless they do something
that hits the front pages like Hugh Grant shagging a prostitue. Most of
the time, I'll only hear about them if they end up on chat shows
promoting something.

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 10:34:34 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 13:47, Whisper kirjoitti:
> On 26/02/2013 10:04 PM, TT wrote:

>>> Yes I'd say >95% of movies are rubbish. I start watching some & switch
>>> off after a few minutes as they are predictable & dumb, & most surely a
>>> huge waste of leisure time.
>>>

>> Sounds like you have short attention span...
>

> I do for crap. I've stuck through crap movies to the end & there is no
> point. You know exactly what's going to happen. Not only do you get
> nothing out of it, I believe it causes illness deep inside the body that
> morphs into cancer & other ills later on.

How pseudoscientific.

Luckily you have natural cures for that, eat some herbs and you're good
to go. Maybe you should try eating carrots while watching bad films?

grif

Feb 26, 2013, 10:55:53 AM2/26/13
Yep. There's also Jack with an axe ("Wendy, I'm home"), Jack shouting
"You can't handle the truth!", Jack being a horny werewolf (i.e.
himself), Jack snorting coke from the bodies of naked chicks etc.

TT

Feb 26, 2013, 11:00:48 AM2/26/13
26.2.2013 14:36, Court_1 kirjoitti:
> I definitely do not have big boobs.

I'm glad that we got that settled.

--
She swore she'd never succumb to men's desires again. But even a village
spinster's life miles from temptation can't save her from a sister with
no shame whatsoever. Or a heart that longs for more, whatever the cost...
It is loading more messages.