Scotland's Euro '96 Fri 14 June results

Thomas Taylor

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

The Nit Nurse wrote:

> Romania became the first side to exit the competition after a 'we wiz
> robbed' match in which a Romanian free kick hit the bar and clearly bounce
> half a yard over the goal-line. However both the ref and linesman deemed
> it hadn't crossed the line and Romania lost 1-0 to Bulgaria. Stoichkov now
> has 2 goals in Euro '96.

Obviously, the linesman wasn't Russian :)

Tommy Taylor - <t...@scms.rgu.ac.uk>

The Nit Nurse

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Results to date in Scotland's section:

Lager Louts 1 Switzerland 1
Scotland 0 Netherlands 0
Switzerland 0 Netherlands 2

Group table:
============

P W D L F A Pts
Netherlands 2 1 1 0 2 0 4
Lager Louts 1 0 1 0 1 1 1
Scotland 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
Switzerland 2 0 1 1 1 3 1

Next Match: Lager Louts vs Scotland Saturday

Scotland vs Switzerland Tuesday
Lager Louts vs Netherlands Tuesday

Ifs and buts
============
In the best match to date, Netherlands finally got their act together in
the 2nd half of the match against the Swiss and showed something of their
true form. The Swiss were never out of this match and had a good 1st half.

The result means that if the Lager Louts win on Saturday, they and the
Netherlands can play out a goal-less draw on Tuesday and both qualify - 5
points guarantee qualification.

If its a draw, Scotland will have to beat a still dangerous Swiss side on
Tuesday to be sure, as they have scored fewer goals than the Lager Louts.

If Scotland win on Saturday, they have to come a serious cropper against
the Swiss on Tuesday, while the Lager Louts give the Dutch the once over,
something that looks improbable if the Dutch repeat their 2nd half form
against the Swiss.

Elsewhere
==========

Romania became the first side to exit the competition after a 'we wiz
robbed' match in which a Romanian free kick hit the bar and clearly bounce
half a yard over the goal-line. However both the ref and linesman deemed
it hadn't crossed the line and Romania lost 1-0 to Bulgaria. Stoichkov now
has 2 goals in Euro '96.

Full match reports on usual on-line newspapers, or you can check out
ITV's Euro '96 website: http://www/eurosoccer.com

Meanwhile
=========
BBC Scotland's high quality presentation of Euro '96 continued with
a second 60 watt lightbulb being added to the studio lighting, thus
ensuring that we get *two* intense shadows cast on the background flats
erected 6 inches behind the heads of the assembled panel. The impressive
studio was constructed with only half a dozen 8x6 Caberboard sheets, two
light bulbs, a peel-off 'sticky-back plastic' Euro '96 logo on one of the
boards and a Sharp Handy Cam. Amazing to think that all this had been
assembled within the confines of a hotel broom cupboard!
Last night, we were treated to an outside panel as they decided that the
majestic gardens and B&Q fake wrought iron garden furniture would make a
change and impress the viewers of tthe BBCs continuing commitment to
offering a high quality, value for money (i.e. cheapskate) service.

d...@dcs.gla.ac.uk

Alex Stephenson

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

The Nit Nurse wrote:

> Meanwhile
> =========
> BBC Scotland's high quality presentation of Euro '96 continued with
> a second 60 watt lightbulb being added to the studio lighting, thus
> ensuring that we get *two* intense shadows cast on the background flats
> erected 6 inches behind the heads of the assembled panel. The impressive
> studio was constructed with only half a dozen 8x6 Caberboard sheets, two
> light bulbs, a peel-off 'sticky-back plastic' Euro '96 logo on one of the
> boards and a Sharp Handy Cam. Amazing to think that all this had been
> assembled within the confines of a hotel broom cupboard!
> Last night, we were treated to an outside panel as they decided that the
> majestic gardens and B&Q fake wrought iron garden furniture would make a
> change and impress the viewers of tthe BBCs continuing commitment to
> offering a high quality, value for money (i.e. cheapskate) service.
>
> --
> d...@dcs.gla.ac.uk

> =================================================================== Scottish television always provided that cheapskate service and even
when Celtic and Rangers were at their peak in the late sixties the
Scottish games looked inferior on TV by virtue of second-rate
production. Even Arthur Montford's stirring commentaries could not make
up for the shortfall.

Alex Stephenson

A. J. Grant

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In <31C3A7...@apollo.ruralnet.net.au> Alex Stephenson

Ah yes, but who could forget Arthur's taste in sport jackets!

From the less-than-subtle checks to the bright Butlins redcoat style
that forced you to turn down the colour on the TV.

Having said that, after listening to a US commentator on ESPN2 cover
the Scotland v. England game(albeit he had Tommy Smith with him) it's
come back Arthur and Archie, all is forgiven................

Alistair

Clive Wellington

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In article <dam-140696...@kerrera.dcs.gla.ac.uk>, The Nit Nurse
<d...@kerrera.dcs.gla.ac.uk> writes

>If

If Mama Cass had shared that last fateful ham sandwich with Karen
Carpenter, they might both be with us today.

--
Clive Wellington