Warning: Tatjana Ciric has posted a VIRUS

Carl Douglas

Jan 8, 2001, 4:23:50 PM1/8/01
I think RSR readers would be very ill-advised to open anything entitled
"Sculling or Sweeping", purportedly from Tatjana Ciric.

Generally anything with the happy99.exe file attached is the bearer of a
virus.

Not too clever, IMHO

Carl

--
Carl Douglas

Tim Granger

Jan 8, 2001, 4:47:31 PM1/8/01
In article <2CyEHFAm$iW6...@rowing-cdrs.demon.co.uk>,

Ahh, the wonders of

i) running a text only newsreader
ii) running on linux so can't run .exe files anyway
iii) have a news server that filters binary attachements anyway

Tim

j...@durge.org

Jan 8, 2001, 5:17:03 PM1/8/01
Tim Granger <tj...@stripos1.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
: Ahh, the wonders of

: i) running a text only newsreader

Didn't even see the attachment. :-)

: iii) have a news server that filters binary attachements anyway

They're smart in that Cambridge place. ;-)

It is possible that this person is quite real and has simply been
infected by the virus but TBH you'll be very stupid to just run an EXE
file you found attached to a Usenet post without knowing exactly what it
was.

Jon
Durge: j...@durge.org http://www.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: acco...@rowing.org.uk http://www.rowing.org.uk/

Henning Lippke

Jan 8, 2001, 5:36:51 PM1/8/01
Thanks for this warning, but I would never have recognized something,
because there was no file on my newsserver (and I'm sure most newsservers
have at least a scanner running in background)

But I wondered: The name is Tatjana (as I think a female name) and in the
content: "I'm a ... boy..." ...

-HL

Gareth G Price

Jan 8, 2001, 7:38:58 PM1/8/01
Nope no file here ethier...

Gareth

"Henning Lippke" <H_Li...@fast-net.de> wrote in message

Gareth Wynn

Jan 8, 2001, 8:36:51 PM1/8/01

>But I wondered: The name is Tatjana (as I think a female name) and in the
>content: "I'm a ... boy..." ...

Using your mother's computer to post boasts of rowing excellence seems
to be quite a popular hobby these days.

NO

Jan 8, 2001, 11:10:32 PM1/8/01
reminds me of the AOL invasion of the usenet a few years back.
suddenly, 90 percent of all the posts in the newsgroups said "add me
too please".

Joe

gar...@90arnfield.freeserve.co.uk (Gareth Wynn) wrote:

To get in contact with me via email, please remove the NOSPAM from the email address.

Adriaan Koster

Jan 9, 2001, 3:51:27 AM1/9/01
j...@durge.org wrote:

> Tim Granger <tj...@stripos1.cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> : Ahh, the wonders of
> : i) running a text only newsreader
>
> Didn't even see the attachment. :-)
>
> : iii) have a news server that filters binary attachements anyway
>
> They're smart in that Cambridge place. ;-)

No they're not - just using deprecated news readers.

(-;

A3aan.

Gareth G. Price

Jan 9, 2001, 7:06:19 AM1/9/01
Looks like it wasn't a deliberate post I guess everything he sends via his
mail program will then send a duplicate mail with the happy99 virus
attached. I think it just showes the importance of having a decent virus
checker installed on your machine.

Gareth (lost 4 gig of data due to ripper virus at home! and no anti virus
software)

<NO SPAMa...@indirect.com (Joe Tynan)> wrote in message

Katy Cameron

Jan 12, 2001, 8:52:53 AM1/12/01