Rick Rude's AOL interview

Paul Pradip Banik >

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
to Paul, Banik
I am posting this for those people who haven't had a chance to view this
interview. I'm not sure if it's already been posted.

Interview from AOL, Thanks go out to Marti...@aol.com for the
interview!

OnlineHost: Copyright 1996 America Online 1996, Inc.

OnlineHost: Tonights guest is Ravishing Rick Rude!!!!!! Rick appeared
in WrestleMania 4 &5!!!!

WWFLive1: Rick: This is Ravishing Rick Rude blowin off the cobwebs,
jumping back into action on America Online.

Question: Going in to WrestleMania 4,were you more interested in
winning the WWF title or beating Jake Roberts?

WWFLive2: Rick: It was two fold..I had to be more focused on the
title . We didn't know who we were going to draw.

Question: Why did you leave the WCW?

WWFLive1: Rick: I was injured in a world Championship match in
Tokyo Japan, I defeated Sting to become the world champion but during the
match I ruptured some discs in my neck. So WCW decided instead of giving
me time to heal, they would strip me of the title.

Question: What was your gratest match that you have ever been in?

WWFLive1: Rick: I would have to say one of two. WrestleMania V
where I defeated the Ultimate Warrior or a cage match in MSG with Roddy
Piper.

Question: Rick...Will we see you in the ring?And what is your
physical status now?

WWFLive1: Rick: Well the first part is a big question mark. Right
now I don't plan on ever wrestling again. My physical status is obviously
down with my back injury. It may even get worse, but I hope not. That is
also kind of a question mark.

Question: What are your feelings about the Ultimate Warrior making
his return to the WWF?And do you think he will be as effective
as he once was?

Rick: Well I feel that he can definitely be at the level he was
before, he can probably surpass that level. He is the most intense person
I have ever met.
His only weakness was that he was so intense that he would tire quickly.
Coming back after a break, it may have done him some good.

Question: Rick, How would you compare the WWF to the WCW?

WWFLive1: Rick: Talent comes and goes between the organizations but
I have always stated that I believe that the WWF from a wrestlers point
of view, is the more professional organization to work for. And now from
a spectators point of view, I can see that WWF is a much more
entertaining product.

Question: How would you compare your era with wrestling now?And
what do you like and dislike about professional wrestling?

WWFLive1: Rick: I believe that at that point in time the WWF had
extremely talented and versatile tough wrestlers. If you look at the
talent at the time I was there, it was loaded with good talent all in
their prime.

Question: Who of today's stars would you most like to work with?

WWFLive1: Rick: To work with I would say Jake Roberts, Roddy Piper,
Mr.Perfect, Bret Hart and I hate to seem one sided here, so I also like
some of the talent coming in from Japan like Terry Gordy and Chris
Benoit. And of course, I would always like to hook up with the Ultimate
Warrior.

Question: You were in the WWF at the height of Hulk Hogan's
popularity? What did you think of him then, and what do you think of him
now?

WWFLive1: Rick: I never had that high of an opionion of Hulk
because I feel that he has taken more from the business than he has
given.

Question: In your time away from the sport, have you been watching
it? What do you think of the direction the business is headed?

WWFLive1: Rick: I have been watching and the prof. wresting
business as well as many other prof. sports, seems to be in sort of a
lull. That is strictly from a couch potato point of view.

Question: Have you kept in as good of shape as you were in during your
first WWF stint?

WWFLive1: Rick: No.

Question: At WM5 were you in better shape than the Warrior was?

WWFLive1: Rick: Yes, I feel that I was in better shape as far as
going a longer time than Warrior. But I knew that he was stronger power
wise.

Question: Have you ever takien steroids?And what do you think about them
in the wrestling business?

WWFLive1: Rick: Yes, I did. It is questionable. They have benefits and
they have side effects. Whether the benefits outweigh the risks is each
individual's decision.

Question: Rick,Deep down inside do you think that Cheryl Roberts really
wanted you?

WWFLive1: Rick: Yes.

Question: How do you feel about all these wrestlers coming back and
making a large amount of money and being in a position that you might not
physicaly able to come back?

WWFLive1:Rick: Again I think that individuals can comeback after time
off, such as Warrior and Jake and they may be even more effective than
they were. Especially with the shallower talent roster for both
federations. As for myself, it is tough to sit home and see guys like
Razor, Diesel, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage,Sting and Lex Luger supposedly
making big bucks when I don't think that they could carry my jock strap.
That's very difficult.

Question: Do you have any regrets in your entire career?

WWFLive1: Rick: I never turned baby face, and I would have to, that
is the one thing.

Question: What do you think about Eric Bischoff?

WWFLive1: Rick: I have a picture in my mind right now that I can't
seem to bring words to explain. I don't know legally what
I can say online, but I know that in my opinion, Eric
Bischoff is lower than snake #@$@, and not half as pretty.

Question: What are your feelings toward Vince McMahon?

WWFLive1: Rick: I thought that Vince was very creative and open
minded.

Question: Who would you wish you would have had a chance to work
with and didn't?

WWFLive1: Rick: There are alot of wrestlers that I never got the
chance to work with, that would have been an honor. Like
Bret Hart and Curt Henning. Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and
Sting are wrestlers that I would like to meet in an
alley.

Question: What wrestlers did you look up to when you broke into the
wrestling business?

WWFLive1: Rick: Believe it or not, at that time in my career I
looked up to Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, Jimmy Snuka.

Question: If you were to come back tomorrow, who would you choose
as a TagTeam partner?

WWFLive1: Rick: Mr. Perfect. We've known each other for a long
time, we go back a long way. We know each others style.
There is a common bond between us.

Question: Hey Rick, was defeating Warrior for the IC Belt your
greatest achievement?

WWFLive1: Rick: It was my greatest achievement in the WWF. Winning
the world title in two other organizations were equally
important.

Question: How do you feel about athletes who are well past there
prime and don't know when to hang up the boots?

WWFLive1: Rick: I think from a couch potato point of view, it
sucks. But from a wrestlers point of view, I guess the
longer those old-timers keep getting a paycheck they would
be foolish not to do it.

Question: Rick: Bret or Shawn, who will win the Iron Man Match at
WrestleMania XII?

WWFLive1: Rick: That's a tough one. I feel that Bret Hart is
probably the greatest wrestling technician in our sport.
I feel that he's in the prime of his career and life and
although Shawn Michaels is approaching his prime, and he
has youth and speed in his favor, I think that Bret is
going to come out on top.

OnlineHost: Well Rick, It has been a pleasure talking with you
tonight on AOL, We hope we can talk again in the
future!!!

WWFLive1: Rick: It feels good to lace up the boots. It was a
pleasure to have online in a hammerlock, but I would
rather put Ric Flair in a rude awakening!

OnlineHost: Copyright 1996 America Online, Inc.

Everyday Hero

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96

If Rude ever gets bored during his retirement, why not dump Jim Ross and
let him commentate with Mcmahon and Mr. Perfect? Rude and Perfect could
play off of each other, with Vince handling the dull parts. Nobody can
touch Jesse "The Body"'s commentary, but this pairing could come close.

Everyday Hero

Wanamaker

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
dona...@uoguelph.ca (Donald Martin) wrote:

>Wanamaker wrote:
>: Paul Pradip Banik <"<ppb124"@mail.usask.ca>> wrote:

>: This was an excerpt (sp) taken from Paul Banik's post on Rick Rude's AOL interview.
>: If I have committed a copyright infringement, OH WELL.

>: And you people thought I was talking shit.

>: >Question: You were in the WWF at the height of Hulk Hogan's

>: >popularity? What did you think of him then, and what do you think of him
>: >now?

>: >WWFLive1: Rick: I never had that high of an opionion of Hulk
>: >because I feel that he has taken more from the business than he has
>: >given.

>And exactly what has Rick Rude contributed to "the business"???

Even though Rude didn't contribute to "the business," he sure as hell didn't make it what it is today, like Hogan has....a joke.

I hate Hulk Hogan, so should you.

Wanamaker

Wanamaker

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
Paul Pradip Banik <"<ppb124"@mail.usask.ca>> wrote:

This was an excerpt (sp) taken from Paul Banik's post on Rick Rude's AOL interview.
If I have committed a copyright infringement, OH WELL.

And you people thought I was talking shit.

>Question: You were in the WWF at the height of Hulk Hogan's

>popularity? What did you think of him then, and what do you think of him
>now?

>WWFLive1: Rick: I never had that high of an opionion of Hulk
>because I feel that he has taken more from the business than he has
>given.

Enough said.

Wanamaker

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
dona...@uoguelph.ca (Donald Martin) wrote:

>I've ask this before. Who else do you "hate" for no good reason?

You.

;)

Donald Martin

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
Wanamaker wrote:
: dona...@uoguelph.ca (Donald Martin) wrote:

: >I've ask this before. Who else do you "hate" for no good reason?

: You.

: ;)

Haw! Boo Hoo the Weirdo hates me! As if a pathetic loser like you means
anything to the Billions of Huckstermaniacs! Get bent!

;)

Donald Martin

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
Wanamaker wrote:

: Even though Rude didn't contribute to "the business," he

sure as hell didn't make it what it is today, like Hogan has....a joke.

What? Noooooo! Rude was never involved in lame angles! Nooo! The time
he wore a picture of Cheryl Roberts on his tights, Naw! That didn't
insult our intelligence. Oh, and his getting stripped down in the middle
of the ring, that was in perfect taste, wasn't it? The fake training
videos before his WWF Title jobber series REALLY made you think he was
actually gonna beat Warrior, didn't it?

: I hate Hulk Hogan, so should you.

I've ask this before. Who else do you "hate" for no good reason?

;)

Donald Martin

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
Wanamaker wrote:

: Paul Pradip Banik <"<ppb124"@mail.usask.ca>> wrote:

: This was an excerpt (sp) taken from Paul Banik's post on Rick Rude's AOL interview.
: If I have committed a copyright infringement, OH WELL.

: And you people thought I was talking shit.

: >Question: You were in the WWF at the height of Hulk Hogan's

: >popularity? What did you think of him then, and what do you think of him
: >now?

: >WWFLive1: Rick: I never had that high of an opionion of Hulk
: >because I feel that he has taken more from the business than he has
: >given.

And exactly what has Rick Rude contributed to "the business"???
Certainly Huckster was in part responsible for the sizeable paycheck Rude
took home every week...

Ryan Schwartz

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
I Hate Hogan too
--

Ryan Schwartz

Gary

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
Wanamaker wrote:

>Even though Rude didn't contribute to "the business," he sure as hell didn't make it what it is today, like Hogan has....a joke.

So, when the question is turned around on you, it's not important. As
to what Hogan contributed to the "business", look at the paychecks of
the wrestlers before Hogan and after. Not to mention all the exposure
that wrestling has now than it did prior to Hogan. Or all the PPV's.

I rather reserve my hate for those who truly deserve it and who have
some meaning in the world, not a pro wrestler who I don't know
personally. It seems that the word "hate" is used too much.

Gary

lewsp...@legends.net

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
GA>Wanamaker wrote:

GA>>Even though Rude didn't contribute to "the business," he sure as hell didn'

GA>So, when the question is turned around on you, it's not important. As
GA>to what Hogan contributed to the "business", look at the paychecks of
GA>the wrestlers before Hogan and after. Not to mention all the exposure
GA>that wrestling has now than it did prior to Hogan. Or all the PPV's.

GA>I rather reserve my hate for those who truly deserve it and who have
GA>some meaning in the world, not a pro wrestler who I don't know
GA>personally. It seems that the word "hate" is used too much.

GA>Gary

The truth of the matter is that Hulk Hogan destroyed what was known as pro
wrestling. I don't mind the fact he has a low workrate. Hell, Andre the
Giant had an even lower work-rate, and no one cries about that. The fact
that Hogan did bring exposure to wrestling can't really be considered
because look at the wrestling he was exposing. Also, wrestlers may make
more per wrestler now, but there are maybe 75 guys in the USA making a
living off pro wrestling, as opposed to the 1,000 or so pre-Hulkamania.
Also, Hogan's peak in the WWF destroyed the most important part of the
wrestling biz: Kayfabe. Up til this time, no one could really be 100% sure
wrestling was fixed. I mean, people thought it was and all, but it wasn't
as obvious. You weren't a moron for believing it was legitimate. Hogan,
Vince and the WWF abandoned Kayfabe for entertainment value and changed
the face of pro wrestling. Wrestling went from being a toughman sport that
was often viewed in bars and smokey, dirty venues to a cartoon-looking
circus that often shared the same arenas that the Ringling Bros. Circus
worked. Hogan killed my favorite sport (and that of many other people)..I
don't hate Terry Bolla, but I detest Hulk Hogan.
"The Extremist" Lew Spectre

Kenneth Burrow

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
If it was not for hogan, savage, and O.K. Flair nobody would watch
wrestling. And wrestler's like Micheals, deseil, undertaker, and all the
one's in WCW would not have a chance. because nobody would care. They
would not be pulling in 20 thousand people they would pull in maybe 2000.
So before you said hogan distoryed wrestling, bull he made wrestling.

lewsp...@legends.net

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
KN>If it was not for hogan, savage, and O.K. Flair nobody would watch
KN>wrestling. And wrestler's like Micheals, deseil, undertaker, and all the
KN>one's in WCW would not have a chance. because nobody would care. They
KN>would not be pulling in 20 thousand people they would pull in maybe 2000.
KN>So before you said hogan distoryed wrestling, bull he made wrestling.

Umm..Hogan raised wrestling revenues for a few years, but now, Wrestling
has dropped off. They may have more exposure and tv time, but Live
Wrestling shows would pull in 3-4times the people in the 70's it does now.
Also, there used to be a few wrestling shows in each area a month...I'm
lucky to catch 1 a month now..
"The Extremist" Lew Spectre
Remembers Florida Championship Wrestling... and Dusty Rhodes, who did
Hogan better than Hulk ever could...he sold.

Gary

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
<lewsp...@legends.net> wrote:

>The truth of the matter is that Hulk Hogan destroyed what was known as pro
>wrestling. I don't mind the fact he has a low workrate. Hell, Andre the
>Giant had an even lower work-rate, and no one cries about that. The fact
>that Hogan did bring exposure to wrestling can't really be considered
>because look at the wrestling he was exposing. Also, wrestlers may make
>more per wrestler now, but there are maybe 75 guys in the USA making a
>living off pro wrestling, as opposed to the 1,000 or so pre-Hulkamania.
>Also, Hogan's peak in the WWF destroyed the most important part of the
>wrestling biz: Kayfabe. Up til this time, no one could really be 100% sure
>wrestling was fixed. I mean, people thought it was and all, but it wasn't
>as obvious. You weren't a moron for believing it was legitimate. Hogan,
>Vince and the WWF abandoned Kayfabe for entertainment value and changed
>the face of pro wrestling. Wrestling went from being a toughman sport that
>was often viewed in bars and smokey, dirty venues to a cartoon-looking
>circus that often shared the same arenas that the Ringling Bros. Circus
>worked. Hogan killed my favorite sport (and that of many other people)..I
>don't hate Terry Bolla, but I detest Hulk Hogan.
>"The Extremist" Lew Spectre

Who you should blame is Vince McMahon. Who created "Hulk Hogan"? Who
created the circus? It wasn't Hogan, it was Vince. He created the
personna, the "immortality",the cartoon characters, such as Doink.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the Hogan character myself. I don't
like wrestlers who are "immortal" and whose character is "supermanish"
if you know what I mean. Whether it is Hogan "hulking up" or the
Undertaker, rising back up after a piledriver or similiar move, it
isn't realistic.

Gary

TJ White

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
dona...@uoguelph.ca (Donald Martin) wrote:

>: You.

>: ;)

>;)

"Billions"??? The guy can't even get a favorable crowd in his home
town, any more. Must be that new math, again.

Diane Moncur

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96