Royal Rumble Lineup

christopher zimmerman

Jan 22, 1993, 7:02:16 PM1/22/93
Herb Kunze writes:

> 28 of the participants of the Rumble will be:
> Bob Backlund, Berzerker, Carlitos Colon, Damien Demento,
> Ted DiBiase, Jim Duggan, Earthquake, Head Shrinker Fatu, Ric Flair,
> Owen Hart, Curt Hennig, Jerry Lawler, Rick Martel,
> Nasty Boy Brian Nobbs, Repo-Man, Nasty Boy Jerry Saggs,
> Head Shrinker Samu, Tito Santana, Randy Savage, Papa Shango,
> Irwin R. Shyster, Tatanka, Genichiro Tenryu, Typhoon, Undertaker,
> Virgil, Koko B. Ware, Yokozuna.

Skinner has been announced, which brings the number of names to thrity.
Or even thirty.

My prediction: Papa Shango will enter the ring and everyone will have
knee spasms, simultaneously, spontaneously, and synchronously (sp?)...
at least that's what I'm going to ask any unfortunate marks who happen
to sit near me ("Gee, why doesn't he just use his voodoo magic and...")

Christopher Zimmerman, driving home tomorrow because
> =I have my Royal Rumble ticket=
/ kz...@watserv.ucr.edu / kz...@ucrmath.ucr.edu / zimm...@ucrengr.ucr.edu /

Joseph K Wright

Jan 23, 1993, 3:09:44 PM1/23/93
I have some thoughts on the Royal Rumble that everyonr may (or may not) be
interested in seeing.

1. It's about time someone posted the possibilty that Razor Ramon will
actually beat Bret Hart, or at least could. THis is McMahon, folks, every
year he seems to use the Rumble to be unpredictable once a year. I thought
the comparison to RR '91 was a fairly likely scenario.

2. Another recent thing I saw here, only in passing, was that someone
mentioned almost kiddingly that maybe Flair would win and then forfeit his
title shot by losing the loser-leaves-WWF match. (By the way, was someone
teasing with the Flair vs. Ramon title, or was that serious?) This would
allow Vince to do whatever he wanted between now and April 4 with the
WMIX main event.

2b. WARNING: THIS WILL BE A PIPE DREAM, BUT ONE I WILL INDUULGE MYSELF WITH.

Flair wins the Rumble, and leaves town after Monday night. He goes on to
quickly recapture the WCW title, and then announces that he will demand
the title shot at WMIX. Vince and Watts agree, begrudgingly, to a title
unification match between Flair and Hart. The match takes place and is the
greatest match we have ever seen, ending inm a time limit draw. (Too much
of a stretch even for this pipe dream to unify the titles.) To make the
situation slightly more feasible, Mcmahon agreed to letting Flair win Rumble,
but wasn't planning to give him the title match, Flair and/or Watts take
him to court demanding that Flair get the match. Third possibility, Flair
pulls a shoot in the Rumble, winning when he shouldn't have, and then
carries out scenario 1 or 2.

3. Back to reality, (As much as reality relates to wrestling anyway) Vince
startsn a mega-feud at the Rumble by having Undertaker and Yokozuna
eliminate each other. It would be the best way to get the two invincibles
out of the Rumble, paving the way for a smaller wrestler (Perfect, Lawler,
Savage, Backlund, etc.) to win. I think this is more realistic in light
of the fact that Vince has been showcasing more human sized people in
main events of late. Can you imagine the roar of the crowd at WMIX if
Undertaker and Yokosumo wrestle, 'zuma doing the sitting down from the
second rope thing, getting of, and seeing Mr. Death slowly, unaffectedly,
sitting up. Vince loves to make marks go crazy at WManias.

4. If there is anyone, mark or non-mark, who thinks the Beverlies have the
slightest chance of winning tomorrow, say "I". I didn't think so.

5. If it goes off, Moon vs. Taylor will be the best, most even match on the
undercard. Just a side note, I was watching the CoC in a TV lounge here at
school, and someone walked in and asked if his cousin was wrestling. I asked
who his cousin was and he said Terry Taylor was his wrestling name. I asked
what his real name was, and he said, Paul Klause, which I believe is
different from what was posted on a recent names list. Then I said that no,
he was in the other organization, and asked if he knew why Terry hadn't
been very active lately. He said that Terry had just completed HIS LAW
DEGREE!!! Can you see this happening in court?:

JUDGE: Will Mr. Rooster, I mean Mr. Prosecutor, please approach the bench?
(Jury snickers, Taylor walks up and punches the judge)

Sorry for longwindedness. Anywaay, this will be my last contact with rspw
until next weekend. I won't get to see RR until THURSDAY NIGHT, and I
don't want to know what's going to happen ahead of time. If you want to annoy
me to the point where I will hunt you down and kill you and your immediate
family, please mail me the results on Monday. Otherwise, the speculation
is over about RR, so let's hook 'em up.

Joe Wright
Pitt

"Some people are afraid of heights, not me, I'm afraid of widths."
Steven Wright

maurice

Jan 24, 1993, 4:16:59 PM1/24/93
In article <24...@blue.cis.pitt.edu>

jkw...@pitt.edu (Joseph K Wright) writes:

>I was watching the CoC in a TV lounge here at school, and someone
>walked in and asked if his cousin was wrestling. I asked
>who his cousin was and he said Terry Taylor was his wrestling name.
>I asked what his real name was, and he said, Paul Klause, which I
>believe is different from what was posted on a recent names list.

Meltzer lists his name as Paul Terrence Taylor III. Make of that
what you will.

maurice
Maurice Forrester
mjfo...@suvm.syr.edu

marv bloom

Jan 24, 1993, 9:42:22 PM1/24/93

Date Entered: 01-24-93 21:35

Well the RR '93 is now history.

Quick recap (don't wish to be redundant).

No Belt(s) changed hands (or waists).

Sherry, back Marty but because of this Michaels walked away with the
Gold.

Bret (Hurtman) vs Razor: great match and his Parents were at
ringside. I must say his Mother is a better than her daughter (camera
cuts to her and she holds her hands up to her face {Bret is getting
"degreased"}, good shot and am sure it was "on cue").

The RR was kinda' scary, egads Backlund was #1 and eclipsed Ric
Flair's endurance record. Ric did get good commentary and lasted at
least 45 minutes. The final two combatants were Macho Man and
Yokobozooka, ebbed and flowed and Macho did his "patented" arm drop
off the top rope and Yoko pushed him over the top rope.

The credits rolled and a shot of Bret "voicing" with Yoko in the back
room.

The BRAIN unveiled Luger (very hokey, thought Michaels had the patent
on Mirrors).

Dr. Harvey Wippleman introd'd his non-scheduled new Wrestler (El
Gigante but with a beard and a set of tights that looked like it was
borrowed from the UW {skin colored and muscle defination shaded in
[talk about pecs, silcone et al, the Argentinian wore falsies] but
naturally stretched to fit and fur added along the outside edges).
He "took out" the UT and did a very convincing job (obviously the UT
is finally "mortal") he lay there until Paul Bearer "urned" him into
conciousness but by that time it was too late.

So, there ya' go Folks and am sure the "blow by blow" ASCII is
forthcoming.

---
RoseReader 1.70 P001256: Greg Gagne, The Original NepoMan!
RoseMail 2.00 : RoseNet<=>Usenet Gateway : Rose Media 416-733-2285

In need of HOT food!

Jan 25, 1993, 12:49:18 AM1/25/93
Just a few comments about this evenings wonderful (NOT) event.
I have seen all the WWF Royal Rumbles up to this point, and this one
sucked (a lot). Review:

Steiners vs. Beverly Brothers
Boy those Steiner Boys have some impressive moves, don't they?! Too
bad a blind man with a dead seeing-eye dog could see the winner of this
one a mile away. Steiners with the Frankensteiner.

Shawn Michels (sp?) vs. Marty Janetty
Actually a fairly entertaining match. Michels put on a pretty good show,
Janetty wasn't too bad, and there were several interesting moves. I still,
however, am of the opinion that Sensationl Sherry should be taken out into the
field and shot.

Big Boss Man vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
Well, it was a match. It had two wrestlers (sort of), a couple of moves (and
only a couple), a beginning, and thankfully an end. Bigelow wins.
(BTW, Shawn Michels retained the IC-Title).

Bret Hart vs. Razor Ramone (sp?)
Well wasn't this a fun match. With the exception of having more moves,
same as the Boss Man/Bigelow match-up. Hart retains title with the
Scorpian Shooter.

And now for the main event: The ROYAL DISAPPOINTMENT (err . . . Rumble)
You know, I actually think that somewhere in McMoney's mind, there is a thought
process which causes him to take a cool idea and destroy it completely (yes,
I realize this is not particularly startling news). The first two participants
were Ric "Why am I still here?" Flair and Bob "Boy, don't I look mentally
handicapped" Bachlund (sp?)
Flair is eventually eliminated by Perfect, and Bachlund is eventually
eliminated by Yokozuna (I believe; correct me if I'm wrong, but I was almost
asleep at that point).
Highlights: El Gigante made his debut by randomly coming down to ringside
and clobbering the Undertaker. Gorilla and Bobby make a big deal out of how
Undertaker is man handled. El Gigante eliminates Undertaker, even thought
he wasn't a participant (sigh). Undertaker is eventually revived after being
beaten unconcious when Paul Bearer comes to ring side with the holy Urn.
Although Undertaker is my favorite wrestler in the WWF, it is nice for him
to have a bigger opponent so he doesn't look as stupid when he is forced to
lose. And by the way, El Gigante's suit looks REALLY STUPID.
Also, I kind of liked the battle of the bulge (Earthquake vs. Yokozuna) for
the entire fifteen to twenty seconds it lasted. I also kind of liked Earthquakethrowing his own partner (Typhoon) over the top rope. I like treachery.
Low Points: Carlos Colon, Jerry Lawler, Bob Bachlund, Terry Taylor,
Chico Santana, and Koko Beware. None of these people are even in the least
bit interesting to watch, most of the fans never even heard of these guys (or
that random Japanese wrestler, who also wasn't that interesting).
Overall, this is the worst Royal Rumble I have ever witnessed. Yokozuna
wins by throwing Randy Savage (who for some reason was going for a pin) over
the top rope.
Overall a very disappointing event, considering it is the only PPV event that
I am regularly willing to pay for every year.

Apologies if this report isn't very coherent. It is my first such attempt.

One bright note:
THERE WAS NO FUCKING CLOWN!

Janetty wasn't too bad, and there were a lot of interesting moves.

--
You remind me of a friend of mine,
but he has a human head.

Budd Hazard

Jan 25, 1993, 1:18:01 AM1/25/93
kz...@ucrmath.ucr.edu (christopher zimmerman) writes:

] Herb Kunze writes:
]
[...]

Is It Just Me, or does anyone else remember "Rasta, The Voodoo Mon" from
GWF (?!) IMHO he did the Voudun angle MUCH better.

Schtik: Rasta would come out to the ring w/ his "voodoo stick" & point
to a part of his body (arm, leg, knee, head, etc) & then point at his
opponent. At SOME POINT in the match, said opponent would injure that
part of his body, allowing Rasta a clean pin. Best example I can think
of is Rasta Vs. Terry Garvin. Rasta does his voodoo that he do so well &
indicates Terry's gonna blow out his knee. Terry wrestles like a house
afire (tm) until, having backed Rasta into a corner, he leaps at Rasta,
knee raised. Rasta evades, and Terry's knee meets the turnbuckle with
a meaty thunk. Terry screams in agony & Rasta hooks the leg for a pin.

No fireworks, no special effects. Decent angle. Occasionally Rasta
would go for the direct approach & thump someone with his voodoo stick.

--
if one falls on you,
we just carve your name on it

maurice

Jan 25, 1993, 11:41:01 AM1/25/93
Sorry, Brain. But the best-quote-of-the-night award goes to
Gorilla Monsoon for calling Carlos Colon a "youngster."

maurice
Maurice Forrester
mjfo...@suvm.syr.edu