TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 5, 2002, 6:10:57 PM4/5/02
A few days ago I wrote a post mocking "System Administrator", using a
snippet from a fictional "TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS" list. A couple of
people got confused and thought there really WAS a list being maintained,
and wanted to know where the rest of the items were! At first I thought
that was kinda funny, but after thinking about it a minute I decided it
wouldn't be too hard to create a Top 100 list for real.

It wasn't.

Here are my Top 100 dumbest lines, running jokes, and general gags in
RSPW. No bitching about the rankings, I didn't put a ton of time into
sorting them carefully. I imagine that it would be possible to create a
All-Time Top 1,000 if you started digging through the archives... feel free
to respond with contenders I left out. Remember, "dumb" does not
necessarily imply insult!

TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS
-------------------------

100) "Proof that the WWF reads RSPW!"

99) "I'm starting a new channel for people tired of the asshole ops in
#rspwtalk"

98) "Hey Barnett..."

97) "Hey Lvubun..."

96) "God save our WWF souls!"

95) "Stephanie is fat"

94) Referring to the Undertaker as the UnderSeller.

93) "Hi, I'm new to RSPW"

92) "Let the bodies hit the floor!"

91) "Hey, I just got my tickets to <insert PPV that happened the month
before>!!!"

90) "Mowwy Howwy"

89) "HBK to appear on RAW!"

88) Talking about the Hardy Boys... using "he" to refer to Lita, and "she"
to refer to Jeff.

87) Variations on "[POLL]"... "pole", "polio", etc.

86) "An Open Letter to Scott Keith"

85) "An Open Letter to <Chad Bryant or Alex Cain>"

84) "An Open Letter to Vince McMahon"

83) "An Open Letter From Vince McMahon"

82) "Chyna is a man"

81) "Ivory is a lesbian"

80) "Sid is dead"

79) Fake Sergio's

78) Paul Heyman vs. Jerry Lawler polls

77) Jokes about Bradshaw shower rape

76) Jokes about Jericho's boot lifts

75) MiniRoss

74) Any reference to "Itchy and Scratchy Land"

73) "<Insert prop here> no-sold for Kurt Angle!"

72) Poster's signatures that are twice as long as any of their posts.

71) "Are the polls on wwf.com rigged?"

70) "Bret Hart to appear on RAW!"

69) IRC logs

68) AIM logs

67) "<Insert recently-deceased celebrity here> jobs to <insert cause of
death here>!"

66) "Francine farted"

65) Accusations of child-abuse in real life.

64) Confusing Jazz for Booker T.

63) Expressing opinions in the form of mathematical equations.

62) Anything to do with Chris Adams.

61) Tributes to Molly's or Ivory's ass.

60) "Where did Krusty go?"

59) Using the word "Tazz" as a synonym for "job".

58) StevieJ not spacing in his replies, and the people who care about this.

57) "I LOVE YOU IN THE PANTS, HULKSTER!!!"

56) Any discussion/parody of J.R.'s commentary.

55) "Describe Vince McMahon in <insert ludicrous literary device here>"

54) "I'm leaving RSPW"

53) Comic book wrestling analogies

52) USING ALL-CAPS IF YOUR NAME ISN'T 2X

51) USING THE WORD "BRAH" MORE THAN 10 TIMES IN A POST IF YOUR NAME ISN'T 2X

50) Using the (n. <something>) notation for situations other than
Neidhart... "what" (n. Austin), "what" (n. Raven), "beware" (n. Koko), etc.

49) "That was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

48) Funny eBay auction links

47) "Scott Steiner to appear on RAW!"

46) Talking about the "glass ceiling" when a heel or an underdog fails to
win in a clean squash.

45) Adding the qualifier "OF DOOM" to a wrestling move.

44) Speculating on who will be "the lawn dart" for Kevin Nash's latest push.

43) "I marked for <something completely unrelated to wresting>"

42) "Wince MacMonkey"

41) "I agree with this post"

40) "Traitorous pussies"

39) "[SPOILER] <insert spoiler summary directly on subject line here>"

38) "Worst RAW ever!"

37) "Meta posts are automatically on-topic"

36) "Vader fucked <insert random shit here>"

35) Bob.con

34) "I've contacted the FBI and local authorities in Milledgeville, he
should be expecting an arrest any day now"

33) "SP twizac up in ya!"

32) "<Person A> didn't screw <Person B>, <Person B> screwed <Person B>"

31) "I fixed your post"

30) "POTD", "POTM", "POTY", etc.

29) Oz references

28) Differentiating between your posts that are made in "kayfabe mode" and
the ones that are "shoots".

27) Referring to wrestlers less than 7 feet tall as "midgets".

26) "Bill Goldberg to appear on RAW!"

25) Intentional misspellings... "Gaint", "Nitor", etc.

24) "Cripple Haitch"

23) "Who booked this shit?" <referring to real life events>

22) "I BOOOOOOOOOOOOO you!"

21) "My list of RSPW's Top 10 posters"

20) "My list of Top 100 RSPW Gags"

19) Popularity contests

18) People who make fun of popularity contests, until they're finally
included in one.

17) Mountain Dew Code Red

16) "Before the PPV, how about we all meet up at Jock n Jills?"

15) "Raff Out Roud (ror)"

14) "Jumped the shark"

13) "Suckas gots ta know!"

12) "Thank Hogan! I prayed to Hulk for this to happen!"

11) "R.I.P. <insert dead celebrity>, you were my favorite wrestler"

10) www.marcash.com

9) "Brock Lesnar can jump all the way to #9 even though it's a very recent
gag"

8) "D'Lo is a homeless baby ninja"

7) "Kevin Nash is a bird"

6) Fake news headlines

5) "Hi <insert sockpuppets presumed real identity here>"

4) "pr0n"

3) "Demolition"

2) "WHAT?"

1) "Who?"

Acolyte of Glorious Brock Lesnar~, God Who Walks Among Men

Apr 5, 2002, 6:33:10 PM4/5/02
> 1) "Who?"

I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!
I'M #1!!!!!!

--
--Acolyte of Glorious Brock Lesnar~

#17 on Luvubun's Top 973 of RSPW List

Because I'm THAT DAMN GOOD (n.HHH).

Krusty

Apr 5, 2002, 6:53:54 PM4/5/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote
-snip intro-

> TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS

GREAT list...a ***** effort. Well done. Well done.

Mike Sorrow

Apr 5, 2002, 6:52:30 PM4/5/02
Well done.

- Mike Sorrow -

"Can Jupiter survive the lightning rod?" - Karl Marx
Lightning rod d. Jupiter (0:28 by submission)

Stupid Sockpuppet

Apr 5, 2002, 7:49:09 PM4/5/02
> 79) Fake Sergio's

Sergio T is pissed. Saying shit like he's dumb when he's retarded. :-)

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 5, 2002, 8:13:46 PM4/5/02
> This is an absolute classic. Would you mind this being a contribution to
> the RSPW site I'm working on?

Sure. Weird... you didn't ask permission to include my photo in your
silly little Tard Gallery.

Owen Aardvark

Apr 5, 2002, 8:56:27 PM4/5/02

"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message

<Snipped...Read the original post, you jabronie ;) >

Bravo, Steve!!! Thumbs Up, brah!

--
Owen Aardvark
Master Of The Dreaded "!" of DOOM!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

The Every-Man Wrestling Fan!!!

"The Last time I wore this outfit, you could have stuck a magnet up my ass
and dragged me through Fort Knox, and I still wouldn't have drawn any
money!" Al Snow

"Why me? Because the WWF needs a superhero like the Blue Blazer! One that
can protect good from evil! And one last thing in closing, to all my little
Blue Blazers - take your vitamins, say your prayers, and drink your milk!
Wooooooo!" - The Blue Blazer

"The only thing I know of that beats four aces is a Smith & Wesson, you son
of a bitch." - Faarooq

"It felt good Bret, it felt good when I kicked your leg out from under your
leg!" -Owen Hart

Apollo Smile is my Goddess. Why isn't she yours?

Bobo

Apr 5, 2002, 9:13:01 PM4/5/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> gave this
alleged gem of wisdom news:a8lb1k$tinvj$1...@ID-127972.news.dfncis.de:

How did I get left out of this list?

--
Bobo ©2002
The True Beast From The East

http://home.earthlink.net/~bobo316/

Check Out The Best Of RSPW At:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bobo316/rspwh.html

Nicholas

Apr 5, 2002, 9:14:19 PM4/5/02
That about sums up the past two years of my life. Unnecessarily
accurate is what it is.

Stoneco864

Apr 5, 2002, 9:22:44 PM4/5/02
***** star post

Stephen Morelock

Apr 5, 2002, 9:31:05 PM4/5/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<a8lb1k$tinvj$1...@ID-127972.news.dfncis.de>...
> TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS
> -------------------------
> 99) "I'm starting a new channel for people tired of the asshole ops in
> #rspwtalk"

Didn't *you* do one of these?

> 74) Any reference to "Itchy and Scratchy Land"

Are you dead serious about this?

> 63) Expressing opinions in the form of mathematical equations.

The list - Number 63 = Mostly correct.

> 56) Any discussion/parody of J.R.'s commentary.

He sucks! SUCKS!

> 53) Comic book wrestling analogies

The world REVOLVES around comic books, BAY-BEE! You don't know it now,
but you will...Crisis on Infinite RSPWs~!

> 39) "[SPOILER] <insert spoiler summary directly on subject line here>"

This is indeed dumb, and wasn't even funny 2 years ago, Stone.

> 20) "My list of Top 100 RSPW Gags"

Zing~!

> 18) People who make fun of popularity contests, until they're finally
> included in one.

/me tries to pretend he never did this

> 16) "Before the PPV, how about we all meet up at Jock n Jills?"

Yes. "LET'S MEET IN A RIDICULOUSLY OVERCROWDED PLACE! THAT WAY, WE CAN
POST TOMORROW ABOUT HOW WE WENT BUT NOBODY WAS THERE!"

> 7) "Kevin Nash is a bird"

Lies~!

> 2) "WHAT?"

Lookatcha.

Stephen Morelock
From the Mean Streets of Knoxville, Tennessee

Burnside

Apr 5, 2002, 9:57:08 PM4/5/02
Oh my fucking Gawd, Chad Bryant just killed a baby! A mutherfuckin' baby,
fer Christ's sake!:

> Scott Keith's version is DOA now (thesmarks.com lost its permanent
> host and is barely serving any content right now)

thesmarks.com NEVER had any content.

--
Burnside <burn...@descension.org>
http://www.descension.org/burnside

Bobo

Apr 5, 2002, 10:29:01 PM4/5/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> gave this
alleged gem of wisdom news:a8li6q$ti07q$1...@ID-127972.news.dfncis.de:

I never ask for any stinkin' permission.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 5, 2002, 10:38:36 PM4/5/02
> Thanks. It'll go under "Humor". I'm also reviving the long-dormant RSPW
> Hall Of Fame (last inductees were in *1995*) and hopefully getting an
> informal board together to consider nominations.

I nominate... Steve D. Perkins.

> BTW, I'm also looking for the URL for the FAQ project that Fro had/has
> going. Scott Keith's version is DOA now (thesmarks.com lost its permanent
> host and is barely serving any content right now), which leaves the late
> '96 version as the newest version I can currently find online.

More power to Scott Keith for the work he did, and more power to Fro for
the initative he's taken. However, and I really mean no offense here, what
they've both done aren't "FAQ's". What Scott did was a comprehensive
reference of wrestling history and folklore. What Fro's done so far is an
editorial on why RSPW sucks today compared to it's Golden Age several years
ago. Both of those entities could find a home on any RSPW-related website,
but it's wrong to bill one as "the FAQ".

If you really want an RSPW FAQ, I'd be happy to whip one up for people
to judge and give feedback/input on. A few months ago I threw a little
prototype draft of my ideas out there in the middle of a Fro-Krusty flamewar
over the "Fro FAQ". I had thought of polishing it up, soliciting
input/feedback, and making it a "real" FAQ (posting it to the group once a
month and everything)... but just never made time for it.

A real RSPW FAQ shouldn't be some 200 page manual. It should be small,
focused, and print out on 3 to 5 pages or less. Cover the origins of the
newsgroup, address the off-topic content and the need for thick skin, and
explain some of the more pervasive jokes/jargon that have been around
forever (i.e. "What is a 'stable'?", "What is meant by posters having
'gimmicks'?", etc). Wrestling history in general is fine and well, but it
doesn't belong in a meta FAQ about the newsgroup itself.

> That shit's coming down pronto, as soon as Portland Comm fixes their FTP
> server and user database that's been wonky for over a week. This is the
> dawn of the improvement era; no need to live in the past.

Weird... wonder how long this little phase will last? Oh well...
optimism, benefit of the doubt, etc.

Fro

Apr 5, 2002, 10:56:09 PM4/5/02
In article <a8ljip$k2t$5...@dosa.alt.net>, ch...@chadbryant.tk says...
> And that's why you're sitting there with a bad leg, and that's why I
> kicked your leg outta your leg, "Steve D. Perkins"!

> BTW, I'm also looking for the URL for the FAQ project that Fro had/has
> going. Scott Keith's version is DOA now (thesmarks.com lost its permanent
> host and is barely serving any content right now), which leaves the late
> '96 version as the newest version I can currently find online.
http://www.theearlyevening.com/rspwfaq/

Fro

Krusty

Apr 5, 2002, 11:04:12 PM4/5/02
"Fro" <jwah...@indiana.edu> wrote
> http://www.theearlyevening.com/rspwfaq/

http://www.theearlyevening.com/rspwfaq/faq.php works better for most...you
should turn OFF directory viewing, or at least drop an index.html with a
little javascript that reroutes to the php file.

Bean Fried Pork

Apr 5, 2002, 11:09:08 PM4/5/02
On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Steve D. Perkins wrote:

> A few days ago I wrote a post mocking "System Administrator", using a
> snippet from a fictional "TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS" list. A couple of
> people got confused and thought there really WAS a list being maintained,
> and wanted to know where the rest of the items were! At first I thought
> that was kinda funny, but after thinking about it a minute I decided it
> wouldn't be too hard to create a Top 100 list for real.
>
> It wasn't.
>
> Here are my Top 100 dumbest lines, running jokes, and general gags in
> RSPW. No bitching about the rankings, I didn't put a ton of time into
> sorting them carefully. I imagine that it would be possible to create a
> All-Time Top 1,000 if you started digging through the archives... feel free
> to respond with contenders I left out. Remember, "dumb" does not
> necessarily imply insult!
>

> TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS
> -------------------------
>
> 100) "Proof that the WWF reads RSPW!"
>
> 99) "I'm starting a new channel for people tired of the asshole ops in
> #rspwtalk"
>
> 98) "Hey Barnett..."

If someone wants to ask something specifically of Barnett, I don't see
what is wrong with this.

> 97) "Hey Lvubun..."

Ditto above.

> 96) "God save our WWF souls!"
>
> 95) "Stephanie is fat"
>
> 94) Referring to the Undertaker as the UnderSeller.
>
> 93) "Hi, I'm new to RSPW"

These are sometimes funny.

> 92) "Let the bodies hit the floor!"
>
> 91) "Hey, I just got my tickets to <insert PPV that happened the month
> before>!!!"
>
> 90) "Mowwy Howwy"

This is a cute nickname that I've never heard anyone complain about.

> 89) "HBK to appear on RAW!"
>
> 88) Talking about the Hardy Boys... using "he" to refer to Lita, and "she"
> to refer to Jeff.

Did you see Jeff on Smackdown? He looked just like Lita.

> 87) Variations on "[POLL]"... "pole", "polio", etc.

I always thought these were done to avooid killfiles, which I see no
problem with.

> 86) "An Open Letter to Scott Keith"
>
> 85) "An Open Letter to <Chad Bryant or Alex Cain>"
>
> 84) "An Open Letter to Vince McMahon"
>
> 83) "An Open Letter From Vince McMahon"

I see nothing wrong with this last one.

> 82) "Chyna is a man"
>
> 81) "Ivory is a lesbian"
>
> 80) "Sid is dead"
>
> 79) Fake Sergio's
>
> 78) Paul Heyman vs. Jerry Lawler polls

I see nothing wrong with these intrinsically.

> 77) Jokes about Bradshaw shower rape

These are hilarioy.

> 76) Jokes about Jericho's boot lifts
>
> 75) MiniRoss
>
> 74) Any reference to "Itchy and Scratchy Land"

I find these amusing

> 73) "<Insert prop here> no-sold for Kurt Angle!"

These are funny.

> 72) Poster's signatures that are twice as long as any of their posts.
>
> 71) "Are the polls on wwf.com rigged?"
>
> 70) "Bret Hart to appear on RAW!"
>
> 69) IRC logs
>
> 68) AIM logs
>
> 67) "<Insert recently-deceased celebrity here> jobs to <insert cause of
> death here>!"
>
> 66) "Francine farted"
>
> 65) Accusations of child-abuse in real life.
>
> 64) Confusing Jazz for Booker T.
>
> 63) Expressing opinions in the form of mathematical equations.

Heh.

> 62) Anything to do with Chris Adams.
>
> 61) Tributes to Molly's or Ivory's ass.
>
> 60) "Where did Krusty go?"
>
> 59) Using the word "Tazz" as a synonym for "job".

These are funny.

> 58) StevieJ not spacing in his replies, and the people who care about this.
>
> 57) "I LOVE YOU IN THE PANTS, HULKSTER!!!"

I find nothing wrong with Hulkamania.

> 56) Any discussion/parody of J.R.'s commentary.

So now you're saying people can't discuss or parody wrestling related
material? What do you think a wrestling newsgroup is for?

> 55) "Describe Vince McMahon in <insert ludicrous literary device here>"
>
> 54) "I'm leaving RSPW"
>
> 53) Comic book wrestling analogies
>
> 52) USING ALL-CAPS IF YOUR NAME ISN'T 2X
>
> 51) USING THE WORD "BRAH" MORE THAN 10 TIMES IN A POST IF YOUR NAME ISN'T 2X
>
> 50) Using the (n. <something>) notation for situations other than
> Neidhart... "what" (n. Austin), "what" (n. Raven), "beware" (n. Koko), etc.
>
> 49) "That was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
>
> 48) Funny eBay auction links
>
> 47) "Scott Steiner to appear on RAW!"
>
> 46) Talking about the "glass ceiling" when a heel or an underdog fails to
> win in a clean squash.
>
> 45) Adding the qualifier "OF DOOM" to a wrestling move.
>
> 44) Speculating on who will be "the lawn dart" for Kevin Nash's latest push.
>
> 43) "I marked for <something completely unrelated to wresting>"

Where else are people going to get to use wrestling lingo in non-wrestling
related discussion?

> 42) "Wince MacMonkey"
>
> 41) "I agree with this post"

Can you think of a better expression meaning the same thing?

> 40) "Traitorous pussies"
>
> 39) "[SPOILER] <insert spoiler summary directly on subject line here>"
>
> 38) "Worst RAW ever!"
>
> 37) "Meta posts are automatically on-topic"

True Meta posts are.

> 36) "Vader fucked <insert random shit here>"
>
> 35) Bob.con
>
> 34) "I've contacted the FBI and local authorities in Milledgeville, he
> should be expecting an arrest any day now"
>
> 33) "SP twizac up in ya!"
>
> 32) "<Person A> didn't screw <Person B>, <Person B> screwed <Person B>"
>
> 31) "I fixed your post"
>
> 30) "POTD", "POTM", "POTY", etc.

These are common throughout usenet and are effective and simple way of
expressing that one was impressed with another's post.

> 29) Oz references

Oz rules!

> 28) Differentiating between your posts that are made in "kayfabe mode" and
> the ones that are "shoots".

These distonctions are sometimes necessary.

> 27) Referring to wrestlers less than 7 feet tall as "midgets".
>
> 26) "Bill Goldberg to appear on RAW!"
>
> 25) Intentional misspellings... "Gaint", "Nitor", etc.
>
> 24) "Cripple Haitch"
>
> 23) "Who booked this shit?" <referring to real life events>
>
> 22) "I BOOOOOOOOOOOOO you!"
>
> 21) "My list of RSPW's Top 10 posters"
>
> 20) "My list of Top 100 RSPW Gags"
>
> 19) Popularity contests
>
> 18) People who make fun of popularity contests, until they're finally
> included in one.
>
> 17) Mountain Dew Code Red
>
> 16) "Before the PPV, how about we all meet up at Jock n Jills?"
>
> 15) "Raff Out Roud (ror)"
>
> 14) "Jumped the shark"
>
> 13) "Suckas gots ta know!"
>
> 12) "Thank Hogan! I prayed to Hulk for this to happen!"

I have no problem with disciples of alternative religions.

> 11) "R.I.P. <insert dead celebrity>, you were my favorite wrestler"
>
> 10) www.marcash.com
>
> 9) "Brock Lesnar can jump all the way to #9 even though it's a very recent
> gag"

> 8) "D'Lo is a homeless baby ninja"
>
> 7) "Kevin Nash is a bird"
>
> 6) Fake news headlines

These are funny.

> 5) "Hi <insert sockpuppets presumed real identity here>"
>
> 4) "pr0n"
>
> 3) "Demolition"
>
> 2) "WHAT?"
>
> 1) "Who?"

-Beans

#11 on Lvubun's list of top 973 RSPW Posters!
DEA - Department of Anti-Psychotics
Due to Extenuating Circumstances, Dean Rockensies is a Lutefisk
Willow is so _cute_ when she's utterly terrified
Tajiri Will Make You Bleed!!!
Who are YOU to talk to Psicosis that way?!!

tedb512

Apr 5, 2002, 11:34:52 PM4/5/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<a8lb1k$tinvj$1...@ID-127972.news.dfncis.de>...
> A few days ago I wrote a post mocking "System Administrator", using a
> snippet from a fictional "TOP 100 DUMBEST RSPW GAGS" list. A couple of
> people got confused and thought there really WAS a list being maintained,
> and wanted to know where the rest of the items were! At first I thought
> that was kinda funny, but after thinking about it a minute I decided it
> wouldn't be too hard to create a Top 100 list for real.
>
> It wasn't.
[snip list]

POTY

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 6, 2002, 12:12:51 AM4/6/02
> Um, it's a HOF for wrestlers, not RSPW personalities.

Then I nominate... Stephanie McMahon.

> I'm concentrating on a FAQ about the subject this group was meant to
> address (pro wrestling), rather than a FAQ about the group itself.

Roger wilco, that's fine. I'm just saying that what you're talking
about should be called a "Wrestling FAQ", not an "RSPW FAQ". Maybe some
people call that a subtle distinction, but it's really a huge one in my
view... and it kind of irks me when I see the concepts confused.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 6, 2002, 12:15:26 AM4/6/02
> > Remember, "dumb" does not
> > necessarily imply insult!

The above sentence, which you apparently missed by skipping the
introduction, has been re-posted for your convenience. You're welcome!

Sean Wilkinson

Apr 6, 2002, 12:32:03 AM4/6/02
Excellent! Absolutely inspired. Great work. ::hands him a cigar::

I think there are a few others that ought to be included here, though,
for a total of 105...

101 - "This was a [star rating] post/troll"
102 - "GABBO!! GABBO!! GABBO!!", etc.
103 - "All Your Base" references
104 - Konnan referred to as "Gonnad"
105 - "/me marks/pops"

--
- Sean
#49 on RSPW's Top Posters List...and hovering
"...and to your left is a naked pig." - Tiny Toons

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 6, 2002, 12:34:45 AM4/6/02
> Actually, the guidelines will probably be set to only qualify people who
> made their pro wrestling debut before 1987.

Why isn't Hogan already there?

> There's a 10-year history of the "RSPW FAQ" being a document about pro
> wrestling. I don't see any reason to change that.

Something that has been maintained and updated a certain way for 10
years straight has a "history". Something that was written 10 years ago and
then immediately left dormant to gather dust, that's just "a Scott Keith
artifact".

Maybe an appropriate compromise would be "The RSPW Wrestling FAQ"?

Krusty

Apr 6, 2002, 12:39:26 AM4/6/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote
> Roger wilco, that's fine. I'm just saying that what you're talking
> about should be called a "Wrestling FAQ", not an "RSPW FAQ". Maybe some
> people call that a subtle distinction, but it's really a huge one in my
> view... and it kind of irks me when I see the concepts confused.

I gotta agree with perkins. I think, if you're gonna author something and
call it the "rspw faq" then I tend to sway towards it being "The Frequently
Asked Questions of the Newsgroup rec.sport.pro-wrestling" Not, an outline
featuring everything you always wanted to know about wrestling. I think a
newsgroup FAQ should be just that, a list of "frequently asked questions".

Scott Oatman

Apr 6, 2002, 1:47:04 AM4/6/02
Thanks, dude (n. Love). Best laugh I've had in a while.

Scott

Fro

Apr 6, 2002, 11:15:56 AM4/6/02
In article <a8m1g2$e2g13$1...@ID-127972.news.dfncis.de>, stevedperkins-
hotma...@nospam.com says...
I think we discussed it, but no one wants to do anything.

There is that Doug guy who runs the WIA archives who I should probably
e-mail back who lurks here who would be very good to do some of the FAQ.

I'll see if I can find a better FAQ system to use as the one I'm using
is kinda crappy.

Fro

Fro

Apr 6, 2002, 11:48:22 AM4/6/02
In article <MPG.1718e9389...@netnews.insightbb.com>,
jwah...@indiana.edu says...
http://faqomatic.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Let me know what you guys think of this, this one seems to be superior
to what I'm currently using (which doesn't even let you use
subcatergories). It also lets you get a password to work on the FAQ
without me having to do shit, which would expedite things greatly.

It would take about 10 minutes to port what I have over, FWIW.

I really continue to believe something like this would be far superior
to work on a project like this than trying to collabrate on it in plain
text.

Fro

Travman1680

Apr 6, 2002, 1:49:05 PM4/6/02
Hey Steve, great post. Just one quip.

Mountain Dew Code Red is quite possibly the greatest carbonated beverage to
ever have been produced. Please refrain from mentioning this heavenly beverage
as "dumb."

In it's place, could you consider adding any "All Your Base Are Belong To Us,"
"What Happen?," "Somebody Set Us Up The Bomb," etc. references in its place.
Yes, they are funny, but they are dumb.

Thank you.

---------------------------------------
November 19, 2001: The Man returns. WHOO~!

Number 50. I got it like that.

EG Smooth

Apr 6, 2002, 5:00:25 PM4/6/02
How the hell can BODIES~~~~~~! be at 92?!?!?!?!??!

--
"As Smooth As It Gets"

Steve D. Perkins wrote in message ...

> [...]

>25) Intentional misspellings... "Gaint", "Nitor", etc.
>
>24) "Cripple Haitch"
>
>23) "Who booked this shit?" <referring to real life events>
>
>22) "I BOOOOOOOOOOOOO you!"
>
>21) "My list of RSPW's Top 10 posters"
>
>20) "My list of Top 100 RSPW Gags"
>
>19) Popularity contests
>
>18) People who make fun of popularity contests, until they're finally
>included in one.
>
>17) Mountain Dew Code Red
>
>16) "Before the PPV, how about we all meet up at Jock n Jills?"
>
>15) "Raff Out Roud (ror)"
>
>14) "Jumped the shark"
>
>13) "Suckas gots ta know!"
>
>12) "Thank Hogan! I prayed to Hulk for this to happen!"
>

>11) "R.I.P. <insert dead celebrity>, you were my favorite wrestler"
>
>10) www.marcash.com
>
>9) "Brock Lesnar can jump all the way to #9 even though it's a very recent

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 6, 2002, 7:04:36 PM4/6/02
> My guess is that he hadn't been active long enough under the guidelies to
> be eligible. He'd be a shore-in now, though (and so would Flair).

David was in middle school back in 1987, years away from his pro debut.
Even if he did qualify, who'd (nN) want to vote for him given who (nN) his
father is?

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 6, 2002, 9:02:30 PM4/6/02
>>> 98) "Hey Barnett..."

If someone wants to ask something specifically of Barnett, I don't see
what is wrong with this.

> 97) "Hey Lvubun..."

Ditto above.>>

If you want to ask them something, then email them.

"Whoo!"

Jason Kreitzer with Ivory and Beulah McGuillicutty

Libraries gave us power.

Check out my site. The George "The Animal" Steele Fan Page!
http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/jasonsite/gsteele.html

The Hand of God (Brock Lesnar)

Apr 6, 2002, 9:47:17 PM4/6/02

> 98) "Hey Barnett..."

hiow else should we get his attention?

> 97) "Hey Lvubun..."

See above

> 95) "Stephanie is fat"

to gay people

> 94) Referring to the Undertaker as the UnderSeller.

well.. but he DOES undersell

> 92) "Let the bodies hit the floor!"

lets befare here, its not been done in a while

> 89) "HBK to appear on RAW!"

I like to laugh at the people who post these

> 82) "Chyna is a man"

she isn't.. she just has some of the male anatomy

> 80) "Sid is dead"

I thought he was kane?

> 79) Fake Sergio's

they rule what are you talking about

> 72) Poster's signatures that are twice as long as any of their posts.

very true

> 70) "Bret Hart to appear on RAW!"

I laugh at those people

> 66) "Francine farted"

Who ( well maybe other then him) gives a damn

> 64) Confusing Jazz for Booker T.

well, i admit i get confused

> 63) Expressing opinions in the form of mathematical equations.

those are called "proofs" and are valid forms of logic

> 62) Anything to do with Chris Adams.

even if it refers to stone cold's wife?

> 61) Tributes to Molly's or Ivory's ass.

but other ass's are ok

> 59) Using the word "Tazz" as a synonym for "job".

But using it for loser,midget.mongoloid,turd, etc is ok

> 57) "I LOVE YOU IN THE PANTS, HULKSTER!!!"

I missed this one

> 54) "I'm leaving RSPW"

I laugh at people who do this

> 53) Comic book wrestling analogies

why?

> 52) USING ALL-CAPS IF YOUR NAME ISN'T 2X
>
> 51) USING THE WORD "BRAH" MORE THAN 10 TIMES IN A POST IF YOUR NAME ISN'T
2X

so don't try to be 2xbrah

> 47) "Scott Steiner to appear on RAW!"

why not combine all the wrestler x to appear on raw into a single gag

> 45) Adding the qualifier "OF DOOM" to a wrestling move.

but finger poke OF DOOM is the name of the finisher

> 41) "I agree with this post"

whats wrong with this

> 31) "I fixed your post"

hey sometimes posts need fixing

> 25) Intentional misspellings... "Gaint", "Nitor", etc.

its part of the rspw culture, as taught by our cultural leaders the U.A

> 9) "Brock Lesnar can jump all the way to #9 even though it's a very recent
> gag"

god forgives you for your blaspheme

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 6, 2002, 10:02:27 PM4/6/02
> > Remember, "dumb" does not
> > necessarily imply insult!

En4cer

Apr 6, 2002, 9:52:11 PM4/6/02
too lazy to read all the replies........ but

you forgot

steve disalvo
the invisible man
yokozuna ate....
if scoops said it, it must be true
the hart foundation is reuniting

Scott Oatman

Apr 6, 2002, 11:38:54 PM4/6/02

"Steve D. Perkins" wrote:

Perry Saturn called. He wants his catchphrase back.

;)

Scott

ViNNY

Apr 7, 2002, 5:49:33 AM4/7/02
"Chad Bryant" <ch...@chadbryant.tk> wrote in message

> And that's why you're sitting there with a bad leg, and that's why I
> kicked your leg outta your leg, "Steve D. Perkins"!
>
> >> Actually, the guidelines will probably be set to only qualify people
> >> who made their pro wrestling debut before 1987.
> >
> > Why isn't Hogan already there?
>
> My guess is that he hadn't been active long enough under the guidelies to
> be eligible. He'd be a shore-in now, though (and so would Flair).

I think 15 years might even be too short. I'd limit it to either:

a) Wrestlers who are 100%, positively, no longer active, or
b) Wrestlers who debuted before 1982.

There probably aren't that many guys eliminated by pushing it back five
years, but it'd make me feel better ;-)

-Vin

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 1:36:42 PM4/7/02
> I think 15 years might even be too short. I'd limit it to either:
>
> a) Wrestlers who are 100%, positively, no longer active, or
> b) Wrestlers who debuted before 1982.
>
> There probably aren't that many guys eliminated by pushing it back
> five years, but it'd make me feel better ;-)

Oh poo. Around 75% of RSPW wasn't even born in 1982. Do we REALLY
need to resurrect the "Me-and-Krusty vs. CRZ" flamewar that erupted during
his last "RSPW" Year-End Awards... the one about whether or not it's right
to put an "RSPW" label on something not very representative of RSPW?

If you limit the Hall of Fame criteria to wrestlers most RSPW'ers
have never seen, then you don't have an "RSPW Hall of Fame"... you have a
"Four or Five Pretentious Old Farts In RSPW Hall of Fame".

FunkyM

Apr 7, 2002, 1:45:29 PM4/7/02
"En4cer" <en4...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<vvOr8.193937$u77.39...@news02.optonline.net>...

You been away too long, EnFourcer! Those have all fallen into general
disuse and obscurity on RSPW...

FunkyM: Hap hap happy to see none of his gags are on the list!

En4cer

Apr 7, 2002, 2:19:19 PM4/7/02
funkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
yyym

I still skim through the crap here with crap being the key word. Seems like
every little 16-24 testosterone challenged zit faced momma's boys is more
interested in trying (the key word ....trying) to be funny instead of having
something to add to the newsgroup.

not too mention the cain/chad/dejong war which has gone on so long you just
wish they would drop all 3 into a ring and let them settle it like men.

then again, who am I to judge. I started the Yokozuna ate....... threads

but nice to see an RSPW old-timer post

"FunkyM" <fun...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 2:35:53 PM4/7/02
> I still skim through the crap here with crap being the key word. Seems
> like every little 16-24 testosterone challenged zit faced momma's boys
> is more interested in trying (the key word ....trying) to be funny
> instead of having something to add to the newsgroup.

[Difference between old farts and newer guys] == [Newer guys don't
believe that you can only accomplish one of those goals at a time]

En4cer

Apr 7, 2002, 2:48:06 PM4/7/02
that's the thing with youth. they don't know any better, always believe
older people are wrong until they get older and realize that they were right
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message

ViNNY

Apr 7, 2002, 3:56:06 PM4/7/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Uh, what?

When did Hogan debut? When did Flair debut? When did Savage debut?

If I'd said wrestlers who *retired* before 1982, you might have a point. As
it is, you just look pretty stupid. The vast majority of HoF-worthy workers
not already in there made their debuts in the late 70s, with a couple of
exceptions.

I don't think only using 20 year veterans or people who have already retired
and have no chance to fuck up their legacy is a bad thing - it just adds a
little credibility to a Hall of Fame as a concept, rather than just a list
of guys who are currently popular.

-Vin

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 4:06:20 PM4/7/02
> that's the thing with youth. they don't know any better, always
> believe older people are wrong until they get older and realize that
> they were right

Youth? I'm 27, a dinosaur by RSPW standards. I just get tired of
listening to old-timers whine about the Golden Age every time someone
(other than themselves!) makes a humorous off-topic post.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 4:31:17 PM4/7/02
HBK (1984), Mick Foley (1984), Undertaker (1989), Nash (1990), HHH
(1992)....

ViNNY

Apr 7, 2002, 4:53:48 PM4/7/02

> HBK (1984)

Questionable as to whether he's eligible or not, since he's basically
retired but keeps threatening to return.

> Mick Foley (1984)

Wouldn't make my Top 100 list, let alone my Hall of Fame ballot, but he's
eligible because he's permanently retired. It was an "or", not an "and".

> Undertaker (1989)

Chad said 1987 and you had no problem, which rules out the next three guys
anyway.

> Nash (1990)

You really think one of the worst workers of the 90s and the least
successful WWF headlining draw of all time belongs in a Hall of Fame?

> HHH (1992)....

Ten year pro != Hall of Fame. He's been successful, but he's barely started
his reign at the top of the company, and probably won't hit his peak while
Austin and The Rock are still arrive. I'll grant you he's a lock for true
HoF status in 5-10 years, if he lasts that long, but IMO it's too soon to
put him in.

-Vin

Allan J. Benson

Apr 7, 2002, 4:55:20 PM4/7/02
"ViNNY" (vi...@vinnyworld.zzn.com) writes:
> "Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > I think 15 years might even be too short. I'd limit it to either:
>> >
>> > a) Wrestlers who are 100%, positively, no longer active, or
>> > b) Wrestlers who debuted before 1982.
>>
>> Oh poo. Around 75% of RSPW wasn't even born in 1982. Do we REALLY
>> need to resurrect the "Me-and-Krusty vs. CRZ" flamewar that erupted during
>> his last "RSPW" Year-End Awards... the one about whether or not it's right
>> to put an "RSPW" label on something not very representative of RSPW?
>>
>> If you limit the Hall of Fame criteria to wrestlers most RSPW'ers
>> have never seen, then you don't have an "RSPW Hall of Fame"... you have a
>> "Four or Five Pretentious Old Farts In RSPW Hall of Fame".

But on the other hand, do you really want to see Brock Lesnar
in the "RSPW Hall Of Fame"?

> Uh, what?
>
> When did Hogan debut? When did Flair debut? When did Savage debut?
>
> If I'd said wrestlers who *retired* before 1982, you might have a point. As
> it is, you just look pretty stupid. The vast majority of HoF-worthy workers
> not already in there made their debuts in the late 70s, with a couple of
> exceptions.
>
> I don't think only using 20 year veterans or people who have already retired
> and have no chance to fuck up their legacy is a bad thing - it just adds a
> little credibility to a Hall of Fame as a concept, rather than just a list
> of guys who are currently popular.

Yes, but staying around until you're a shell of what you
used to be still doesn't negate the great matches you
may have had in the past.

--
If I can be serious for a moment...
"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one."

ViNNY

Apr 7, 2002, 5:14:38 PM4/7/02

> And that's why you're sitting there with a bad leg, and that's why I
> kicked your leg outta your leg, "ViNNY"!

> >> If you limit the Hall of Fame criteria to wrestlers most RSPW'ers
> >> have never seen, then you don't have an "RSPW Hall of Fame"... you
> >> have a "Four or Five Pretentious Old Farts In RSPW Hall of Fame".
> >
> > Uh, what?
> >
> > When did Hogan debut?
>
> 1979.
>
> > When did Flair debut?
>
> 1972.
>
> > When did Savage debut?
>
> 1976.

> > I don't think only using 20 year veterans or people who have already
> > retired and have no chance to fuck up their legacy is a bad thing - it
> > just adds a little credibility to a Hall of Fame as a concept, rather
> > than just a list of guys who are currently popular.
>
> If I had to cast my ballot today, this is what I'd choose:
>
> -Ric Flair
> -Rick Steamboat
> -The Hart Family (Stu, Bret, Owen, etc.)
> -The Funk Family (Dory Sr., Dory Jr., Terry)
> -Jumbo Tsuruta
> -Dynamite Kid
>
> The Von Erichs are already in the HoF as a family, and I don't see a
> roblem in continuing that practice for families that have made such a
> huge impact in wrestling.

Maybe we need to ressurect the old JDW "Gordy List" criteria for a Hall of
Fame :)

-Vin

Drazic The No 1 Sickboy UA

Apr 7, 2002, 5:29:49 PM4/7/02
>From: "ViNNY" vi...@vinnyworld.zzn.com

> :)
>
>-Vin

:)

~~
DRAZIC THE #1 SICKBRAH - http://www.geocities.com/rspwsickboy

TheRSPWstranger

Apr 7, 2002, 5:36:33 PM4/7/02
I agree with this post.

Satyr

Apr 7, 2002, 6:12:44 PM4/7/02
Captain Chad Bryant <ch...@chadbryant.tk> 's Log RSP-W Date 7 Apr 2002
21:53:17 GMT :

> [...]
>kicked your leg outta your leg, "ViNNY"!
>

>>> If I had to cast my ballot today, this is what I'd choose:
>>>
>>> -Ric Flair
>>> -Rick Steamboat
>>> -The Hart Family (Stu, Bret, Owen, etc.)
>>> -The Funk Family (Dory Sr., Dory Jr., Terry)
>>> -Jumbo Tsuruta
>>> -Dynamite Kid
>>>
>>> The Von Erichs are already in the HoF as a family, and I don't see a
>>> roblem in continuing that practice for families that have made such a
>>> huge impact in wrestling.
>>
>> Maybe we need to ressurect the old JDW "Gordy List" criteria for a
>> Hall of Fame :)
>

>Well, I'd be happy to provide short explanations for my choices...
>
>-Ric Flair: Best worker of the modern era. 20+ years of being *the* man
>in wrestling. Responsible for a good portion of the best matches ever
>seen in North America. The "he could carry a broomstick to a *** match"
>line wasn't a joke, it was the truth.
>
>-Rick Steamboat: Another absolutely awesome talent who could make anyone
>look good (see GAB '89, where he makes Luger look better than Flair ever
>could). The WWF's best worker in the mid-80's, and one-half of what is
>regarded by many as the best WrestleMania match ever. A dependable talent
>week in and week out, you could always count on a full effort if
>Steamboat was on the show.
>
>-The Hart Family (Stu, Bret, Owen, etc.): The first family of Canadian
>wrestling. Stampede is one of the most influential territories in
>wrestling history. Stu built wrestling in Canada; his sons carried on the
>tradition. Bret was a phenominal tag team wrestler before becoming the
>guy who would carry the WWF almost single-handedly through one of its
>worst creative periods ever. His work in '97 helped pave the way for the
>revival of the WWF. There's not much you can say about Owen that hasn't
>been said before...he was legitimately one of the finest people to ever
>be involved in wrestling, and a true professional who did marvelous work
>wherever he went.
>
>-The Funk Family (Dory Sr, Dory Jr, Terry): On top of everything they did
>in the states (both Dory Jr. and Terry were NWA world champions), they
>kickstarted the phenomenon we love (and some bigots hate) known as
>puroresu. Dory Jr. is still one of the finest ring technicians you'll see
>anywhere (he's from an era where guys were really trained to fight,
>because nobody would admit it was a work), and Terry did some of his
>finest work years after everyone assumed he was retired or past his
>prime.
>
>-Jumbo Tsuruta: The God of puro. Too many accomplishments to list here,
>but he's essentially the man when it comes to 80's puro.
>
>-Dynamite Kid: Fantastic worker in the U.S. & Japan (his matches with the
>original Tiger Mask are mandatory viewing for anyone who wants to see
>good wrestling). Guys like Benoit are that damn good now because of DK's

I agree with this list except Stu Hart didn't build wrestling in
Canada. He was a part of the overall picture, but not the entire
picture.

The wheel's spinning, but the hamster's dead.

Visit:

The Unofficial Bruiser Brody Memorial Page
http://www.geocities.com/bbrody_ca

ViNNY

Apr 7, 2002, 6:11:59 PM4/7/02

> And that's why you're sitting there with a bad leg, and that's why I
> kicked your leg outta your leg, "ViNNY"!
>
> >> If I had to cast my ballot today, this is what I'd choose:
> >>
> >> -Ric Flair
> >> -Rick Steamboat
> >> -The Hart Family (Stu, Bret, Owen, etc.)
> >> -The Funk Family (Dory Sr., Dory Jr., Terry)
> >> -Jumbo Tsuruta
> >> -Dynamite Kid
> >>
> >> The Von Erichs are already in the HoF as a family, and I don't see a
> >> roblem in continuing that practice for families that have made such a
> >> huge impact in wrestling.
> >
> > Maybe we need to ressurect the old JDW "Gordy List" criteria for a
> > Hall of Fame :)
>
> Well, I'd be happy to provide short explanations for my choices...
>
> -Ric Flair: Best worker of the modern era. 20+ years of being *the* man
> in wrestling. Responsible for a good portion of the best matches ever
> seen in North America. The "he could carry a broomstick to a *** match"
> line wasn't a joke, it was the truth.

Shoe-in pick.

> -Rick Steamboat: Another absolutely awesome talent who could make anyone
> look good (see GAB '89, where he makes Luger look better than Flair ever
> could). The WWF's best worker in the mid-80's, and one-half of what is
> regarded by many as the best WrestleMania match ever. A dependable talent
> week in and week out, you could always count on a full effort if
> Steamboat was on the show.

I would vote in the negative for this one - Steamboat, while always a great
worker in the ring, wasn't around long enough and never really achieved
enough as a draw for serious Hall of Fame consideration. If you add too many
people to the list, you risk it becoming just "RSPW's Top 200 Favourite
Wrestlers".

> -The Hart Family (Stu, Bret, Owen, etc.): The first family of Canadian
> wrestling. Stampede is one of the most influential territories in
> wrestling history. Stu built wrestling in Canada; his sons carried on the
> tradition. Bret was a phenominal tag team wrestler before becoming the
> guy who would carry the WWF almost single-handedly through one of its
> worst creative periods ever. His work in '97 helped pave the way for the
> revival of the WWF. There's not much you can say about Owen that hasn't
> been said before...he was legitimately one of the finest people to ever
> be involved in wrestling, and a true professional who did marvelous work
> wherever he went.

I'll go with this one, although not if it includes Smith, Dean, Diana and
all the other kids. I'd prefer to limit it to Stu and Bret, for their
contributions to Stampede, training a bunch of world class workers, and
carrying the WWF for half the nineties, but I won't vote no just because
Owen is in there too.

> -The Funk Family (Dory Sr, Dory Jr, Terry): On top of everything they did
> in the states (both Dory Jr. and Terry were NWA world champions), they
> kickstarted the phenomenon we love (and some bigots hate) known as
> puroresu. Dory Jr. is still one of the finest ring technicians you'll see
> anywhere (he's from an era where guys were really trained to fight,
> because nobody would admit it was a work), and Terry did some of his
> finest work years after everyone assumed he was retired or past his
> prime.

Another one I can agree with.

> -Jumbo Tsuruta: The God of puro. Too many accomplishments to list here,
> but he's essentially the man when it comes to 80's puro.

I can think of three reasons to vote against Jumbo:

1. Rikidozan
2. Giant Baba
3. Antonio Inoki

Jumbo was perhaps the best worker who ever lived, but his prime was cut
short by liver & kidney problems and for most of the 80s he shared the top
spot in the company with Baba, Hansen, Brody, Tenryu and (for a couple of
years) Choshu. All Japan in the 80s was a long way from the pinnacle of
workrate it became in the Misawa era - beyond the main event it was abysmal,
and a distant second to New Japan.

> -Dynamite Kid: Fantastic worker in the U.S. & Japan (his matches with the
> original Tiger Mask are mandatory viewing for anyone who wants to see
> good wrestling). Guys like Benoit are that damn good now because of DK's
> inspiration.

Dynamite's impact in redefining the cruiserweight worldwide is largely
forgotten by today's fan. Without the Billington/Sayama feud there would be
no Lyger, no Michinoku Pro, and no interest in juniors anywhere.

-Vin

ViNNY

Apr 7, 2002, 6:20:44 PM4/7/02
Here's the "Gordy List" I mentioned earlier: an objective set of criteria
for deciding whether someone is worthy of inclusion in the Wrestling
Observer Hall of Fame. Actual evidence - match dates & star ratings,
buyrates, TV ratings, etc is good for inclusion. I may have a stab at one of
these for someone this week.

1. Was he ever regarded as the best draw in the world? Was he ever regarded
as the best draw in his country or his promotion?
2. Was he an international draw, national draw and/or regional draw?
3. How many years did he have as a top draw?
4. Was he ever regarded as the best worker in the world? Was he ever
regarded as the best worker
in his country or in his promotion?
5. Was he ever the best worker in his class (sex or weight)? Was he ever one
of the top workers in his class?
6. How many years did he have as a top worker?
7. Was he a good worker before his prime? Was he a good worker after his
prime?
8. Did he have a large body of excellent matches? Did he have a excellent
matches against a variety of opponents?
9. Did he ever anchor his promotion(s)?
10. Was he effective when pushed at the top of cards?
11. Was he valuable to his promotion before his prime? Was he still valuable
to his promotion after his prime?
12. Did he have an impact on a number of strong promotional runs?
13. Was he involved in a number of memorable rivalries, feuds or storylines?
14. Was he effective working on the mic, working storylines or working
angles?
15. Did he play his role(s) effectively during his career?
16. What titles and tournaments did he win? What was the importance of the
reigns?
17. Did he win many honors and awards?
18. Did he get mainstream exposure due to his wrestling fame? Did he get a
heavily featured by
the wrestling media?
19. Was he a top tag team wrestler?
20. Was he innovative?
21. Was he influential?
22. Did he make the people and workers around him better?
23. Did he do what was best for the promotion? Did he show a commitment to
wrestling?
24. Is there any reason to believe that he was better or worse than he
appeared?

-Vin

Satyr

Apr 7, 2002, 6:34:59 PM4/7/02
Captain Chad Bryant <ch...@chadbryant.tk> 's Log RSP-W Date 7 Apr 2002
22:18:40 GMT :

>And that's why you're sitting there with a bad leg, and that's why I

>kicked your leg outta your leg, "Satyr"!

>> I agree with this list except Stu Hart didn't build wrestling in
>> Canada. He was a part of the overall picture, but not the entire
>> picture.
>

>OK, western Canada. I'm much more familiar with Stampede than Maple Leaf
>Wrestling.

West of Saskatchewan. Not sure how prominent he was in the B.C.
wrestling scene. In Manitoba we had the NWA later AWA, Ontario had the
NWA and WWWF and WWF, Montreal had Grand Prix, not sure about the
Maritime provinces. However, in the territorial days, promoters were
cooperative and Stu Hart was a well - respected member of this group.

Satyr

Apr 7, 2002, 6:46:08 PM4/7/02
Captain Chad Bryant <ch...@chadbryant.tk> 's Log RSP-W Date 7 Apr 2002
22:32:15 GMT :

>Owen left us a legacy of fantastic matches in the U.S., Canada, & Japan.
>Very few workers can lay claim to that.

Where and how did Owen develop his unique high flying style he
used early in his career in Stampede? I never saw his brothers use
this kind of style, only Owen. He really did have some great matches
before coming to the WWF.

Drazic The No 1 Sickboy UA

Apr 7, 2002, 7:10:13 PM4/7/02
>From: Chad Bryant ch...@chadbryant.tk

>I believe Yamada/Lyger worked in Stampede before he started using the Lyger
>gimmick, and Owen learned a lot from him

They both also worked in England.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 7:18:57 PM4/7/02
>> Nash (1990)
>
> You really think one of the worst workers of the 90s and the least
> successful WWF headlining draw of all time belongs in a Hall of Fame?

Yes. Oh fuck his workrate! Nash basically founded the Attitude Era,
then turned WCW from a bush-league regional promotion to the industry
leader, then found his way back into the main-event with WWF afterwards.
He's a shitty worker, and a shitty draw, but he's managed to wrap the
industry around his finger for over a decade now anyway. Benoit can
wrestle for the next hundred years, and still never have the impact of
Kevin Nash.

Do I like his matches? No... but I don't like Hogan's either. The
fact remains that NOBODY other than Hogan has singlehandedly had the impact
of Kevin Nash on professional wrestling. I tip my hat for that.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 7:24:48 PM4/7/02
Wow, Gordy sure does have allot of time on his hands. My criteria
list is a bit more condensed...

1) Did motherfuckers mark for the guy?

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 7:38:58 PM4/7/02
> Sometimes it's hard to fathom that 75% of RSPW was alive in 1987...
> I'd be surprised if a majority of this NG watched wrestling before
> 1998, but that shouldn't stop the revival of a Hall of Fame,
> If setting the criteria to
> exclude people who have only started their career in the last 15 years
> means I don't have to suffer through a flood of ballots for The Rock
> or Rob Van Dam (or worse yet, Brock Lesnar), so be it.

Chad, I'm not necessarily saying that you're "wrong". I'm just
saying that the above snips precisely illustrate why I grumble about
people who fundamentally disrespect RSPW, yet take the liberty to put an
"RSPW" label on their pet projects that aren't representative of RSPW.

CRZ's year-end awards are great stuff, but they're NOT "The RSPW
Year-End Awards". I'm sure your Hall of Fame would be interesting, but
if it's intentionally designed to exclude the opinions of a majority of
RSPW'ers, why not give it another title?

Burnside

Apr 7, 2002, 7:44:49 PM4/7/02
Oh my fucking Gawd, Steve D. Perkins just killed a baby! A mutherfuckin'
baby, fer Christ's sake!:

Amen, brah. There's nothing more annoying than elitists who (argh) spend
their time whining aboot the so-called Golden (shower) Era of RSPW.

--
Burnside <burn...@descension.org>
http://www.descension.org/burnside
Throw me down the stairs my shoes.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 10:12:23 PM4/7/02
> People marked for Jim Duggan. That man should be nowhere near a Hall of
> Fame.

Blasphemy!

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 10:26:30 PM4/7/02
> Nash's departure to WCW predates the Attitude era by 18 months.

Ehh, perhaps this is historical revisionism... but I personally
define the beginning of the Attitude Era to be Nash's 10-seconds-by-
jacknife-powerbomb squash over Backlund for the belt.

> In as unbiased of a way as possible, let me state for the record that
> your defense of Kevin Nash is probably the worst possible
> justification to include him in a wrestling Hall of Fame

Maybe. It just depends on what criteria you're using in your
selection. If you go by Gordy's mathematical-formula checklist, maybe a
wrestler comes up short. If you go by impact in the industry and the
extent to which fans marked, maybe that same wrestler is in like Flynn.

I'm not trying to be dick here, but conversations like this are why
myself and some other regulars love to poke fun at old-school purists.
When you strip away the intellectual pretentiousness, arguing about the
criteria for a discussion group's hall-of-fame list is only SLIGHTLY less
silly than the KORSPW. It IS on-topic, but other than that it's just
another group of dorks talking about another meaningless popularity
contest. Of course, that's not a BAD thing <smile>... but it just irks
me to listen to the superiority complex when the differences are so
minor.

>> The
>> fact remains that NOBODY other than Hogan has singlehandedly had the
>> impact of Kevin Nash on professional wrestling.
>

> Ric Flair says hi.

Awesome! If he calls back, let him know I've got his #3 slot ready
behind Hogan and Nash.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 11:19:49 PM4/7/02
> I can point out the vast
> differences between a a project designed to honor people who work in
> the business that this newsgroup was intended to discuss, and Yet
> Another Popularity Contest run by a porn-obsessed teenager with a
> stereotypically bad gimmick.

Hey... you fuckin' wit my nigga, you fuckin' wit me.

> If you can honestly, intelligently rank Nash over Flair in terms of
> their contributions to wrestling, more power to you.

Ahh... but there's a subtle shade of distinction between
"contributions" and "impact". Flair has the edge in the former category,
and I would be willing to argue that Nash has the edge in the latter. We
really aren't saying radically different things from one another.

Poot Rootbeer

Apr 7, 2002, 11:40:24 PM4/7/02
"En4cer" <en4...@optonline.net> wrote:

> that's the thing with youth. they don't know any better, always
> believe older people are wrong until they get older and realize
> that they were right

Remember when a bowl of soup cost a nickel?

Coca-Cola doesn't taste the same as it used to...

-Poot

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 7, 2002, 11:55:02 PM4/7/02
> Flair was the booker during WCW's two most creative eras (1989-90,
> 1993- 94). He was one of the biggest gate draws in wrestling for over
> twenty years. He main-evented the biggest-attendance show in wrestling
> history. He carried countless workers to the best matches of their
> careers.

Contribution.

> Minus the splash he made with Scott Hall in WCW in 1996, Nash's impact
> has been negative. He was the worst-drawing world champion in WWF
> history. Booking himself to end Goldberg's win streak was the
> beginning of the end for WCW. It was his backstage antics that made
> WCW hell for anyone under 6'2".

Impact.

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 8, 2002, 12:13:14 AM4/8/02
> A poor impact that shouldn't be commemorated in any fashion.

Adolf Hitler was Time magazine's Man of the Year, and Osama bin Laden
would have been this past year if Time had a fraction of the balls they did
a few decades ago. I don't buy the "a negative impact isn't an impact"
position.

EG Smooth

Apr 8, 2002, 1:58:25 AM4/8/02
I'm sure most watched before 1998, actually.

--
"As Smooth As It Gets"

Chad Bryant wrote in message ...

>And that's why you're sitting there with a bad leg, and that's why I

>kicked your leg outta your leg, "Steve D. Perkins"!

>>> I think 15 years might even be too short. I'd limit it to either:
>>>
>>> a) Wrestlers who are 100%, positively, no longer active, or
>>> b) Wrestlers who debuted before 1982.
>>>

>>> There probably aren't that many guys eliminated by pushing it back
>>> five years, but it'd make me feel better ;-)
>>

>> Oh poo. Around 75% of RSPW wasn't even born in 1982.
>

>Sometimes it's hard to fathom that 75% of RSPW was alive in 1987...
>

>I'd be surprised if a majority of this NG watched wrestling before 1998,

>but that shouldn't stop the revival of a Hall of Fame, since there's
>still a sizable number of people who are familiar with Wrestling-Before-
>Attitude.
>
>For the record, I wasn't alive when Ric Flair & Rick Steamboat made their
>pro debuts, but they'd be at the top of my ballot

>> If you limit the Hall of Fame criteria to wrestlers most RSPW'ers
>> have never seen, then you don't have an "RSPW Hall of Fame"... you
>> have a "Four or Five Pretentious Old Farts In RSPW Hall of Fame".
>

>Haven't seen a particular wrestler? That's the miracle of videotape.
>
>And if you aren't motivated/willing to watch a few tapes and see some
>wrestling from before the post-modern era, allow me to quote Mr. E.
>Vedder once again - "This is not for you". If setting the criteria to

>exclude people who have only started their career in the last 15 years
>means I don't have to suffer through a flood of ballots for The Rock or
>Rob Van Dam (or worse yet, Brock Lesnar), so be it.
>

>--
>Chad Bryant
>ch...@chadbryant.tk
>
>"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
>television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
> - Jello Biafra

ViNNY

Apr 8, 2002, 3:37:44 AM4/8/02

> > Nash's departure to WCW predates the Attitude era by 18 months.
>
> Ehh, perhaps this is historical revisionism... but I personally
> define the beginning of the Attitude Era to be Nash's 10-seconds-by-
> jacknife-powerbomb squash over Backlund for the belt.

The Attitude era began at Badd Blood when Vince announced that following
Brian Pillman's death he was making some changes and letting the wrestlers
"be themselves". This is three years after Nash won the title, and around 18
months after Nash's final WWF appearance.

Yes, the nWo was enormous, but it's inaccurate to credit Nash alone. If you
want to induct "the nWo" into a Hall of Fame, as Hall, Nash, Hogan and
Bischoff, you might have a point. Nash alone has consistently stunk up TV as
a wrestler, booker and champion.

-Vin

ViNNY

Apr 8, 2002, 3:40:38 AM4/8/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Okay. So instead of a Hall of Fame, you want a List Of Guys Who Were Pretty
Over. I think we're done here..

-Vin

ViNNY

Apr 8, 2002, 3:43:41 AM4/8/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message

The whole concept of a Hall of Fame is to honor the *legends* of a sport -
people whose time at the top has passed but deserve to be remembered for
what they did. Nash, RVD, Rock, Lesnar, HHH - they're all still on TV at the
top of the card every week. You wouldn't put Mark McGwire in the Baseball
Hall of Fame, nor would you put KoRn in the Rock Hall of Fame.

-Vin

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 8, 2002, 8:50:44 AM4/8/02
> Okay. So instead of a Hall of Fame, you want a List Of Guys Who Were
> Pretty Over. I think we're done here..

You're translating that WAY too literally, but at the end of the day
you aren't too far off from the truth. People who belong in a Hall of Fame
are people who have made and impact that changed the sport... people who
when you mention there name to someone that was a fan at their time,
there's NO way the fan will say "Hmm, that name's familiar, let me
think...".

There's no mathematical formula, no points system... it's something
that just has to feel "right". Basically, it's about being a mark... and
that's a Good Thing. When you reach the point of no longer being a mark
deep down inside, it's time for you to move on from wrestling.

FunkyM

Apr 8, 2002, 10:15:44 AM4/8/02
Poot Rootbeer <po...@dork.com> wrote in message news:<Xns91E9F1DD8D6...@216.166.71.239>...

Yeah, less blow in it...

FunkyM: :(

FunkyM

Apr 8, 2002, 10:20:03 AM4/8/02
"En4cer" <en4...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<H40s8.200619$u77.41...@news02.optonline.net>...
> funkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
> yyym
>
> but nice to see an RSPW old-timer post

What are you talking aboot? FunkyM just started posting last week! ;)

FunkyM: Just a whippersnapper!

> "FunkyM" <fun...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > "En4cer" <en4...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > > too lazy to read all the replies........ but
> > >
> > > you forgot
> > >
> > > steve disalvo
> > > the invisible man
> > > yokozuna ate....
> > > if scoops said it, it must be true
> > > the hart foundation is reuniting
> >
> > You been away too long, EnFourcer! Those have all fallen into general
> > disuse and obscurity on RSPW...
> >

> > FunkyM: Hap hap happy to see none of his gags are on the list!

Mattie

Apr 8, 2002, 12:08:34 PM4/8/02
In article <vvOr8.193937$u77.39...@news02.optonline.net>,
"En4cer" <en4...@optonline.net> wrote:

> too lazy to read all the replies........ but
>
> you forgot
>
> steve disalvo
> the invisible man
> yokozuna ate....
> if scoops said it, it must be true
> the hart foundation is reuniting

Does anyone remember Chris Bird's parody of "Macarena?" I think he
ripped it off a post Conn (genuflects) made... I only remember parts
of it, but I know I laughed myself sick at it, at the time...

"Eattalotta ham-ah on-a rye, Yokozuna -
heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, Yokozuna!"

:^)

--
@--%---
Mattie

ViNNY

Apr 8, 2002, 12:48:31 PM4/8/02
"Steve D. Perkins" <stevedperkin...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Your list will amount to basically "Babyface WWF And WCW Champions" if all
you look at is whether "motherfuckers" marked for them though.

While I agree with your basic premise, I think that including current Main
Eventers detracts from this. The Hall of Fame should be a memoriam of the
people who changed wrestling who aren't on our TV sets every week.

-Vin

Steve D. Perkins

Apr 8, 2002, 1:58:47 PM4/8/02
> Your list will amount to basically "Babyface WWF And WCW Champions" if
> all you look at is whether "motherfuckers" marked for them though.

I don't think that's true. Flair and Arn Anderson, just as two
examples, have been far more over as heels than as faces in their careers.
They same could be said for Randy Savage, Undertaker, dozens of others.

I see you point in that any sort of subjective judging may slightly
favor faces over heels. Fuck it, what are you going to do? The Heisman
trophy is heavily biased towards quarterbacks, running backs, and
receivers... but it still carries more prestige than any college sports
award.

> While I agree with your basic premise, I think that including current
> Main Eventers detracts from this.

You're probably right here. This is fine.