George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing

Unifarva-2012 The Year of the Robby

Jan 18, 2012, 9:00:22 PM1/18/12
George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing
By Rob Bricken in Movies
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 11:05 am
​Many, many, many people have sent me George Lucas' recent
interview from the New York Times  , which includes this starting bit
of news:
"I'm retiring," Lucas said. "I'm moving away from the business, from the
company, from all this kind of stuff." He was careful to leave himself
an out clause for a fifth "Indiana Jones" film. But otherwise, "Red
Tails" will be the last blockbuster Lucas makes. "Once this is finished,
he's done everything he's ever wanted to do," says Rick McCallum, who
has been producing Lucas's films for more than 20 years. "He will have
completed his task as a man and a filmmaker."
..except it's not news. Goerge Lucas has said he's going to concentrate
on making more "personal" films as far back as Return of the Jedi, and
you can see where that's gotten us over the last 30 years. Hell, he's
still planning on Indiana Jones 5, which immediately contradicts his
"retiring from blockbusters" claim. And there's no reason he couldn't
change his mind and make epsiodes 7, 8 and 9 later, just like he decided
to finally make the prequels back in the '90s. I'm not saying that's
likely, I'm just saying George Lucas has been saying he's going to
concentrate on small, personal films forever, so I don't know why him
saying it in 2012 is so significant. In fact, his is actually more
significant to me:
When I [The New York Times writer] told Lucas that Spielberg had
accepted the blame for nuking the fridge, he looked stunned. "It's not
true," he said. "He's trying to protect me." In fact, it was Spielberg
who "didn't believe" the scene. In response to Spielberg's fears, Lucas
put together a whole nuking-the-fridge dossier. It was about six inches
thick, he indicated with his hands. Lucas said that if the refrigerator
were lead-lined, and if Indy didn't break his neck when the fridge
crashed to earth, and if he were able to get the door open, he could, in
fact, survive. "The odds of surviving that refrigerator -- from a lot of
scientists -- are about 50-50," Lucas said.
Wha...? Honestly, I'd really like to see that folder. If Lucas cared
enough to make a fucking dossier on the fridge scene in Indy 4, I have
to assume he talked to real scientists. And if he talked to real
scientists then I also have to assume he's telling the truth here,
because otherwise this is the stupidest, most easily disproved lie he
could tell. Which means... holy shit, the nuking-the-fridge scene is
actually possible. All right. That still doesn't make Shia the Beef,
King of the Monkeys any easier to swallow, but I'll shut up about the
fridge. However, I do feel slightly gratified to know that even Steven
Spielberg -- who had Indy and pals fall out of a plane on an inflatable
raft and survive in Temple of Doom -- thought the fridge thing was
implausible, too. Maybe George should have passed out the dossier free
at screenings or something.
Tags: George Lucas  , Indiana Jones  , Things That Are Not News
More links from around the web!
  iframe[ scribol_218173 ]

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.
Nerd news, humor and self-loathing.Edited by Rob Bricken
  Send tips to Topless Robot
  Follow Topless Robot on Twitter
  Subscribe to our RSS feed
Top 10 Tags
1. Star Wars
2. Fan Videos
3. Marvel
4. DC
5. Comic Movies
6. Impressive Acts of Nerdery
7. Insanity
8. Batman
9. Awesomeness
10. Japan
Most...
And Now, a Short Word on SOPA/PIPA...  ......
Manos: The Hands of... Felt?...  Somewhere, at some point, someone
made a puppet show not just on Manos... but the making of Manos. It's
incredible....
Spider-Man Vs. Julie Taymor, Round 97 or Something...  Oh, Spider-Man:
Turn Off the Dark. You are truly the gift that keeps on giving....
Nerdy Yo Momma-Thon: And the Winners Are......  I hope all yo mommas
are proud....
Super Terrific Japanese Thing: Hello Kitty Dental Clinic...  HELLO
KITTY DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A MOUTH. ...
Categories
Anime (579)
Cartoons (854)
Comics (1842)
Daily Lists (1018)
DVDs (368)
Merchandise (601)
Miscellaneous (1334)
Movies (3284)
Nerdery (2205)
Tech (156)
Toys (1171)
TV (1220)
Video Games (1671)
Archive
Links
16bit.com
Adult Swim
Anime News Network
AV Club
Bam Kapow
Comics Alliance
FilmDrunk
First Showing
Fork Party
GameTrailers
Gamma Squad
Geeks Are Sexy
Geek Diaper
Geek Girl Diva
Geekologie
Geeks of Doom
Gorilla Mask
Great White Snark
Has Boobs, Reads Comics
Holy Taco
io9
Japanator
Kotaku
Nerd Bastards
Newsarama
Obvious Winner
Poe Ghostal
Robot 6
Super Punch
Television Without Pity
The Mary Sue
ToyNewsI
ToysREvil
Twitch
Unreality
Warming Glow
World of Ward Crap
/Film
TR National Blogs
And Now, a Short Word on SOPA/PIPA  Wed, Jan 18, 3:57 pm on Topless
Robot
Bus Driver Assaulted After Trying to Wake Sleeping Passenger  Wed,
Jan 18, 2:23 pm on True Crime Report
STRIKE: Stop SOPA, Stop PIPA, Preserve Freedom Of Speech  Wed, Jan
18, 11:02 am on Toke of the Town
We're Going On Strike: A Short Statement on SOPA / PIPA  Wed, Jan 18,
12:47 am on Joystick Division
Toronto Film Festival: Moneyball  Thu, Sep 15, 2011, 2:42 pm on Voice
Film
Watch Free Episodes of The Venture Bros. (VIDEO)
Farm your face off: Play Hemp Tycoon (GAME)
Annie-nominated stop motion series Frankenhole returns Jan. 22
(VIDEO)
10 Best Topless Moments on Adult Swim (LIST)
The Best Video Games of 2011 (LIST)

Some young stars may be much older than previously thought. The opposite
could be said of Lindsay Lohan [Strange]
Astronomers aim to achieve what pornographers have been doing for years
[Cool]
This is the car I'm buying and you can all make fun of me but I don't
care cuz it's Drew's Pro SOPA free green light day and it gets 200mpg
and I love run on sentences almost as much as I love slashies and bie
[Cool]
Hey check it out, it's the first mainstream media Alpha Quitter of the
SOPA/PIPA protest [Dumbass]
Now that iPhone is finally available on all three major carriers, iOS
marketshare in the US has just jumped from 25.1% in October to 44.5% in
December. See, they didn't need to sue everyone into submission after
all [Spiffy]
Privacy Policy  |
Problem With the Site?  |
RSS
© 2012 Village Voice Media Holdings, LLC. All rights reserved.
mobileleaptop

   _
                            /'_/)
                          ,/_  /
                         /    /
                   /'_'/'   '/'__'7,
                /'/    /    /    /" /_\
               ('(    ' Fuck     /'   ')
            \      You'          /
                 '\'              _.7'
                   \             (
                     \            \

rob

Jan 22, 2012, 2:38:31 PM1/22/12
On Jan 18, 9:00 pm, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-2012 The Year of the
george burns died.

Unifarva-2012 The Year of the Robby

Jan 24, 2012, 12:34:38 AM1/24/12

Re: George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing

Group: rec.sport.pro-wrestling Date: Sun, Jan 22, 2012, 11:38am (EST-3)
From: rjs...@aol.com (rob)
On Jan 18, 9:00 pm, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-2012 The Year of
the
Robby) wrote:
George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing By Rob
[...]
   Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â

                   /'_'/' 7
                /'/    /
               ('(
 ' Fuck     /'   ')
    \      You'
 /
                 '\'    Â7
                   \   Â
                     \ Â
george burns died.

he was in that movie called 'oh FUCK!'.

rob

Jan 27, 2012, 9:35:20 AM1/27/12
On Jan 24, 12:34 am, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-2012 The Year of
the Robby) wrote:
> Re: George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing
>
> Group: rec.sport.pro-wrestling Date: Sun, Jan 22, 2012, 11:38am (EST-3)
> From: rjs2...@aol.com (rob)
> On Jan 18, 9:00 pm, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-2012 The Year of
no freaking way.

Unifarva-2012 The Year of the Robby

Feb 1, 2012, 6:39:06 PM2/1/12

Re: George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing

Group: rec.sport.pro-wrestling Date: Fri, Jan 27, 2012, 6:35am (EST-3)
From: rjs...@aol.com (rob)
yep.

                             _
                            /'_/)
                          ,/_  /
                         /    /
                   /'_'/'   '/'__'7,
                /'/    /    /    /" /_\
               ('(    ' Fuck     /'   ')
            \      You'          /
                 '\'              _.7'
                   \             (
                     \            \
2012-YEAR OF THE ROBBY.

DON'T TAZE MY GRANNY!

rob

Feb 3, 2012, 3:03:39 PM2/3/12
On Feb 1, 6:39 pm, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-2012 The Year of the
Robby) wrote:
> Re: George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing
>
> Group: rec.sport.pro-wrestling Date: Fri, Jan 27, 2012, 6:35am (EST-3)
> From: rjs2...@aol.com (rob)
> On Jan 24, 12:34 am, BillV2...@webtv.net (Unifarva-2012 The Year ofthe Robby) wrote:
>
> Re: George Lucas Is Retiring, and Why That Means Absolutely Nothing
> Group: rec.sport.pro-wrestling Date: Sun, Jan 22, 2012, 11:38am (EST-3)
> From: rjs2...@aol.com (rob)
no freaking way.

Unifarva-The Walte rnate's Walternate

Feb 10, 2012, 7:41:43 PM2/10/12