1990 NHL entry draft - Revisited

Tom Collins

Nov 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/1/95
Top five (overall) NHL draft picks, spring 1990:

1st - Owen Nolan, Quebec Nordiques
2nd - Petr Nedved, Vancouver Canucks
3rd - Keith Primeau, Detroit Red Wings
4th - Mike Ricci, Philadelphia Flyers
5th - Jaromir Jagr, Pittsburgh Penguins
What the Crystal Ball would have suggested, looking to November,1995:
1st - Jaromir Jagr
Easy. This guy is the real thing. Dazzling skills, exciting with or
without Mario. It's between Jagr and Lindros for the '95-96 scoring
title.

2nd - Owen Nolan
An elite, goal scoring power forward at 24. Brute strength, lethal shot. Will
his intensity be infectious in San Jose? Does Nolan have leadership qualities?
Safe bet he does.

3rd - Keith Primeau
Mr. Freight-train has improved his skating/offensive skills, and likes to
hit. Subject of many trade rumors cause he's kind of a Mama's boy. A
good 30 goal man, but may never pop for 40 in a season, his hands aren't
that good.

4th - Mike Ricci
A good, gritty center in the Ron Francis mold. Good at face-offs, another 30
goal man.

5th - Petr Nedved
More playing and less whining, Petr. His 38 goals in '92-3 will be tops
in his career. Not a fiery competitor at the NHL level. Should work on
his upper-body
strength, but doesn't.

FYI, rounding out the top-ten in 1990:

6-Scott Scissons, New York Islanders
7-Daryl Sydor, Los Angeles Kings
8-Derian Hatcher, Minnesota North Stars
9-John Slaney, Washington Caps
10-Drake Berehowski, Toronto Maple Leafs

Ain't hockey the best sport around?

to...@farallon.com
******************

HUSAIN ALI

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
In article <tomc-01119...@163.176.56.135>,

Tom Collins <to...@farallon.com> wrote:
>What the Crystal Ball would have suggested, looking to November,1995:
>
>2nd - Owen Nolan
>An elite, goal scoring power forward at 24. Brute strength, lethal shot. Will
>his intensity be infectious in San Jose? Does Nolan have leadership qualities?
>Safe bet he does.

Actually in hind sight, Keith Tkachuck should have been taken -
maybe even first overall. He is the best LW in the NHL and provides the
dimensions of grit and physical play that Jagr lacks, although it would
be a tough call. I still cringe when I think the Oilers (as an Oiler fan)
drafted Scott Allison over Keith Tkachuk at no.17. They were obviously
looking at him, their scouts must have though Allison was better.

Vern Faulkner

Nov 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/2/95
HA> Actually in hind sight, Keith Tkachuck should have been taken -
HA> maybe even first overall. He is the best LW in the NHL and provides the

Best? I'd accept "one of the best" but "best" is a huge statement to make.

HUSAIN ALI

Nov 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/3/95
In article <8153...@f44.n340.z1.ftn>,

Vern Faulkner <Vern.F...@f44.n340.z1.fidonet.org> wrote:

>Best? I'd accept "one of the best" but "best" is a huge statement to make.

Shannahan and Tkachuck are the 2 best LW in hockey - bar none.
You can't name any other 2 in the same class. Tkachuck is 23 - he took
less time to develop than Shannahan and he is better. Just watch a couple
of games.

steve

Nov 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/4/95
I'd say Tkachuk is the best left-winger in the game.

HUSAIN ALI

Nov 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/5/95
In article <47hnbc$b...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>,
Alex A Goddard <agod...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>Tkachuk is the best, Shanahan isn't in the top 10. He couldn't play
>defense to save his life.

Yes Tkachuk is the best but Shanahan is next , get real. If
you're going to make a stupid statement like that name 10 LW that are
better than Shannahan

Alex A Goddard

Randy Morin

Nov 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/6/95
Alex A Goddard,agod...@uoguelph.ca,Internet writes:
>Tkachuk is the best, Shanahan isn't in the top 10. He couldn't play
>defense to save his life.

Are you trying to say Tkachuk is better defensively than Shanahan?
You sure went out on a limb on that one.

Agrivar

Sent Via SportsNet On-Line Services
Toronto's Premier Sports and Recreation Service
Modem: 416-223-2463 Phone: 416-223-2250 Ext. 33
For information, send e-mail to: in...@sportsnet.com

Tom Collins

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
In article <47gfun$h...@news1.radix.net>, steve <jo...@radix.net> wrote:

> I'd say Tkachuk is the best left-winger in the game.

*****************
I'm no big supporter of Mr. Luc Robatille, but why does he keep getting
voted first team all-star at LW year after year? Serious question.

Gotta admit, Luc puts the puck in the net alot, but he'll give you fits
come playoff time.

to...@farallon.com
*****************

Randy Morin

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
Could you send me that list of ten left wingers better than Shanahan.

Alex A Goddard

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Randy Morin (Randy...@sportsnet.com) wrote:

: Are you trying to say Tkachuk is better defensively than Shanahan?

: You sure went out on a limb on that one.

I'm not saying Tkachuk is a Selke candidate, but he's at least been on
his own side of centre ice. The same can't be said for Brenda.

Alex

Randy Morin

Nov 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/9/95
Alex Goddard,agod...@uoguelph.ca,Internet writes:
> Pavel Bure
> Trevor Linden
> Kirk Muller
> Steve Thomas
These four guys do not play left winger.

> Keith Primeau (don't count him if you consider him a centre)
> Jari Kurri (don't count him if you call him a RW...he's played LW since
he's been in L.A.)
> Mikael Renberg
These two guys don't play left winger as you clearly noted.

> Gary Roberts
What an exageration. He's only played 8 games in two years.

> Esa Tikkanen
He was traded for a third round pick, but he's better than Shanahan?

Seven of the nineteen players you mentionned don't even play LW.
How can I respect your opinion about LWers, when you don't even know who
plays LW?
You could've at least looked it up in a book.

Agrivar

To Alex:
Sorry to send you a second copy, my news reader sucks.

Alex A Goddard

Nov 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/11/95
Randy Morin (Randy...@sportsnet.com) wrote:
: > Pavel Bure

: > Trevor Linden
: > Kirk Muller
: > Steve Thomas
: These four guys do not play left winger.

Check their team pages from the NHL Official Guide and Record Book. All
except Linden played LW last year. Linden has played LW at times in his
career. Muller and Thomas certainly are LWs under any definition.

: > Keith Primeau (don't count him if you consider him a centre)

: > Jari Kurri (don't count him if you call him a RW...he's played LW since
: he's been in L.A.)
: > Mikael Renberg
: These two guys don't play left winger as you clearly noted.

According to the NHL Guide and Record Book, they all played LW last year.

: > Gary Roberts

: What an exageration. He's only played 8 games in two years.

So? Is he not one of the best LWs in the NHL?

: > Esa Tikkanen

: He was traded for a third round pick, but he's better than Shanahan?

Yes. He's one of the best LWs ever.

: Seven of the nineteen players you mentionned don't even play LW.

: How can I respect your opinion about LWers, when you don't even know who
: plays LW? You could've at least looked it up in a book.

And you could have looked at the Official Guide and record Book. You
shouldn't tell people to look things up when you clearly have not.

: Alex

: Sorry to send you a second copy, my news reader sucks.

You can ram your backhanded apology up your arse. You failed to mention
calling me a liar on e-mail despite the fact that I've given the page
references from the 1995-96 NHL Officail Guide and Record Book to support my
positions.

Alex

HUSAIN ALI

Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
In article <4835q6$k...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>,

Alex A Goddard <agod...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>: > Steve Thomas

You obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Thomas is one of the most one-dimensional players around, he scores he
plays no defence, he's a nice guy but is brutal in his own end. Why don't
you just drop the issue - you're making a fool of yourself.

Craig D. DeLucia

Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
On 14 Nov 1995, HUSAIN ALI wrote:
> In article <487f9d$8...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>,

> Alex A Goddard <agod...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> >You're daft. Thomas doesn't play great defense, but he's a grinding
> >winger and overall, much better than Shanahan.
> >
> You are really distinguishing you're intelligence. Why don't you

What a beautiful response on "intelligence" from someone with poor
grammar.

Craig

(who is sick of the flames...let's talk some HOCKEY)

> try to skate off the ice with a broken ankle before you call another
> player not gritty. Shannahan is bigger, stronger, and grittier than
> Thomas. You're argument with Shannahan is that he doesn't play defense
> then you rank Thomas a ONE-WAY player as better then him - you're logic ?
^^^^^^^^
PS--there it is again...

Craig DeLucia "My feet, they finally took root in the earth,
cde...@hubcap.clemson.edu but I got me a nice little place in the
Phi Kappa Tau stars..."--Bruce Springsteen
Epsilon Nu Chapter "Can't this wait till I'm old, can't I live
Let's Go Devils!! while I'm young?"--Phish
Administrator, Bus Stop .Net Bus Stop, Bruce, Phish, DMB, BT, Hootie
Currently searching for: Blues Traveler 5/30/93, Phish 4/19/92 set II