Best Beer (Was: Ignorant American Fan)

1 view

Daniel Andre Roy

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95

May I remind everyone who has participated in this puerile,
chest-thumping thread that Canadian, American, British and Irish beer
are naught but tepid tap-water next to Czech and German brew?

=========================
Daniel Andre Roy
cc...@freenet.carleton.ca
Hull, Quebec
=========================

Lord Maligant

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
In article <3tv1l9$4...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>, patw...@ix.netcom.com
(Patrick Welch ) wrote:

> In <DBK03...@freenet.carleton.ca> cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Daniel

> Andre Roy) writes:
> >

> > May I remind everyone who has participated in this puerile,
> >chest-thumping thread that Canadian, American, British and Irish beer
> >are naught but tepid tap-water next to Czech and German brew?
>

> I would stack sam adams, gearys, kennebunk, sierra nevada, etc up
> against any german beer....
>
> I've been brewing for 3 yrs now and american beer has a lot to
> offer....

I hope you are not trying to say that Budweiser, Miller, and all the other
crap have a lot to offer too. Plus this is a hockey list and please
try to keep it that way.

> see ya

Patrick Welch

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Andre Roy) writes:

> May I remind everyone who has participated in this puerile,
>chest-thumping thread that Canadian, American, British and Irish beer
>are naught but tepid tap-water next to Czech and German brew?

I would stack sam adams, gearys, kennebunk, sierra nevada, etc up
against any german beer....

I've been brewing for 3 yrs now and american beer has a lot to
offer....

see ya

Patrick Welch

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In <gurer-11079...@gellab.life.uiuc.edu>

gu...@pop.life.uiuc.edu (Lord Maligant) writes:

>In article <3tv1l9$4...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>, patw...@ix.netcom.com
>(Patrick Welch ) wrote:
>
>I hope you are not trying to say that Budweiser, Miller, and all the
other
>crap have a lot to offer too. Plus this is a hockey list and please
>try to keep it that way.
>

>> see ya

I was simply responding to someone else who got off the
subject(much like you did in YOUR message)...no need for the
schoolmaster tone.

And no, I wouldn't compare miller lite...but there is MUCH MORE TO
AMERICAN BEER THAN MILLER LITE.

End of subject..lets stick to hockey, 'k lord benign

William Allen

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
(Patrick Welch ) wrote:

> In <DBK03...@freenet.carleton.ca> cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Daniel
> Andre Roy) writes:
> >

> > May I remind everyone who has participated in this puerile,
> >chest-thumping thread that Canadian, American, British and Irish beer
> >are naught but tepid tap-water next to Czech and German brew?
>
> I would stack sam adams, gearys, kennebunk, sierra nevada, etc up
> against any german beer....
>
> I've been brewing for 3 yrs now and american beer has a lot to
> offer....

I hope you are not trying to say that Budweiser, Miller, and all the other
crap have a lot to offer too. Plus this is a hockey list and please
try to keep it that way.

> see ya

I spent a couple of weeks looking at the beer group (I forget its actual name). I found them to be a bunch of pompous nose in the air ass-holes, I was hoping this group could do better. Nothing wrong with a good quality American beer or import, but I happen to like Bud also (Miller sucks the big one IMO) so whats wrong with that?

Rod MacBain

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <DBK03...@freenet.carleton.ca> cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Daniel Andre Roy) writes:
>From: cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Daniel Andre Roy)
>Subject: Best Beer (Was: Ignorant American Fan)
>Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:28:14 GMT

> May I remind everyone who has participated in this puerile,
>chest-thumping thread that Canadian, American, British and Irish beer
>are naught but tepid tap-water next to Czech and German brew?

Easy now Daniel, I hopethis is a troll! The Czechs and Germans make a good
lager, but their ales are, generally speaking, crap (If you discount the
occasional Rauchbier). However, most north american people are conditioned to
think that lager is the only decent beer style. A case can be made for Plsen
Urquell (Czech - the town that made "Pilsener" famous) being one of the worlds
great beers, but for my taste I like a good ale much better. In fact if you
got Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter - not the one gloved child molester) to
list the worlds great beers he would include Guinness, Samuel Smith's, Adnam's
bitter, perhaps Sierra Nevada or Celis Grand Cru from the US and definitely
canada's best beer Niagara Breweries Eisbeir in the list. I bet PU would be
the only lager on his list.

If you think this Canada Sucks, USA
Blows stuff is peurile, you should hear the discussions that erupt in the
Bud/Blue Sucks, Miller/Moose rules vein! This is particularly lame when you
consider that all of these beers are essentially the same beer - tasteless,
watered down, gravity brewed, characterless lagers.

ObHockey: For my money, most mass market german and czech beers are pretty
sad, but their hockey teams are starting to become quite respectable;-)

Note followups
Rod

John-Andrew Murphy

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
Three years? The Germans have been brewing beer for centuries. There are over
three hundred different German beers. Each region has its own brewery. Beer
brewing is an art in Germany, like wine in France. Sorry, Sam Adams is good.
But I'll take a Werner, Tucher, Schultheiss any day over something from the
US.

What does this have to do with hockey? Well, what the hell does everyone grab
when they get home from the rink? Remember the fine Canadian champagne?
It's Molson. And is really hits the spot after being checked, hooked, slashed
and bruised - during practice!

Enjoy the game, guys. And remember, friends don't let friends skate drunk!

JAM

University of Notre Dame

Daniel Andre Roy

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95

Douglas Rietz (dri...@farallon.com) writes:
> In article <DBK03...@freenet.carleton.ca>, cc...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA

> (Daniel Andre Roy) wrote:
>
>> May I remind everyone who has participated in this puerile,
>> chest-thumping thread that Canadian, American, British and Irish beer
>> are naught but tepid tap-water next to Czech and German brew?
>>
> ******* You can insult Americans on everything else except beer! Guinness
> is the best.......any Irish American or Full blooded Irishman will tell ya
> so mate!
> As a friend of mine says "it's a beer you can chew!"

Hehehehe! I love that! I guess I should have added one of those
dratted smilies -- some people have taken this digression seriously!

But come on, quit the jingoism, o.k.?

Douglas Rietz

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95

Bamse69

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Well if we want to talk about good beer then danish beer has to be
mentioned. Now you canadians are familiar with Carlsberg, but if you ever
try the stuff that they brew domestically....it will knock your socks off.
Also Tuborg is another incredible beer.

Andrew G. Corwin
Bam...@aol.com
aco...@email.ir.miami.edu

The Interactive TeddyBear

" Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you your 1996 Stanley Cup Champion Hartford
Whalers!"

Hey, you never
know.....

Donald Scheidt

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In <netcom.38...@nbnet.nb.ca> net...@nbnet.nb.ca (Rod MacBain) writes:

>Easy now Daniel, I hopethis is a troll! The Czechs and Germans make a good
>lager, but their ales are, generally speaking, crap (If you discount the
>occasional Rauchbier).

Easy now, Rod. German Altbier, Koelsch, Berliner Weisse, and Bavarian
Weissbier are many things, but they most certainly are =not= crap. And
Rauchbier is =not= an ale, it's a lager.

> However, most north american people are conditioned to
>think that lager is the only decent beer style. A case can be made for Plsen
>Urquell (Czech - the town that made "Pilsener" famous) being one of the worlds
>great beers, but for my taste I like a good ale much better.

(North) American folk are conditioned to think a particular =style= of
lager is the only decent beer made, that being a flabby, bland take-off
of the Pilsner style. Bock, Doppelbock, dark lagers, and others are
barely given any consideration by the big industrial brewers. Thus the
common misconception that strong dark beers (ales or lagers) are "made
from the dregs of the vat," when nothing could be further from the
truth.

> In fact if you
>got Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter - not the one gloved child molester) to
>list the worlds great beers he would include Guinness, Samuel Smith's, Adnam's
>bitter, perhaps Sierra Nevada or Celis Grand Cru from the US and definitely
>canada's best beer Niagara Breweries Eisbeir in the list. I bet PU would be
>the only lager on his list.

Nope. Paulaner Salvator, Einbecker Ur-Bock, St. Jakobus Blonder Bock,
Jever Pils, Augustiner Muenchner Helles, and Schlenkerla Rauchbier -
among others - all make his list of world-class quality beers. They're
all lagers.

Jackson gives his biggest amount of respect, though, to Belgian
specialties, especially the unique top-fermented Trappist ales, brown
ales, and Lambic beers. And yes, Guinness and Brakspear's Special,
among others, also receive their due from the Beer Hunter.
--
Don Scheidt
dgs...@teleport.com

sonny hays-eberts

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article <3u6k2k$1...@linda.teleport.com>, dgs...@teleport.com (Donald
Scheidt) wrote:

> In <netcom.38...@nbnet.nb.ca> net...@nbnet.nb.ca (Rod MacBain) writes:
>
> >Easy now Daniel, I hopethis is a troll! The Czechs and Germans make a good
> >lager, but their ales are, generally speaking, crap (If you discount the
> >occasional Rauchbier).
>
> Easy now, Rod. German Altbier, Koelsch, Berliner Weisse, and Bavarian
> Weissbier are many things, but they most certainly are =not= crap. And
> Rauchbier is =not= an ale, it's a lager.

the bavarians say it succinctly - the best beer is free beer.

as far as personal taste is concerned; i pledge my support to bitburger pils.

obhockey relevance - ask the hartford whalers. :)

--

so your life sucks?
well, 99% of life is what you make it

sonny hays-eberts
ebe...@donald.uoregon.edu

Douglas Rietz

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In article <eberts-1407...@shays.uoregon.edu>,
ebe...@donald.uoregon.edu (sonny hays-eberts) wrote:

Sonny says:

> the bavarians say it succinctly - the best beer is free beer.

How can anyone top that? Free Beer at Sonnys!!!!!!!!!

Neil Fernyhough

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95

Guiness is American? I go down to San Juan Island every so often and
drink Yankee piss-beer from dawn to bedtime, sometimes even working up a buzz!

Old Monty Python joke: Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?
They're both fucking close to water.
--
Peace,
NEIL

"You cannot serve God AND Money" - Jesus

Bernie Adalem

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
In <netcom.38...@nbnet.nb.ca> net...@nbnet.nb.ca (Rod MacBain) writes:

> I bet PU would be
>the only lager on his list.

Oh child, betting on your ignorance would be the only sure bet.
Anchor is a Lager by definition.
Other lagers he rates very highly in his various books
include Spaten, Carlsberg, Budwar (from Budovice Chech Rep.)
Bittburger Pils, Henninger, and a whole host of beers
for which you have not yet developed a mature enough pallate to
dismiss so offhandedly.

Other favorites personally are Golden Bear Lager locally
and Aktion Hell currently available on draft in some locales.

If anyone can name some other US available lagers to
try please do so, I get bored with the same-o same-o
--
--==**==--==**==--==**==--==**==--==**==--==**==--==**==--==**==--==**==
I didn't say that and you can't prove I did. Upside of not using PGP.

Patrick Welch

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
In <1995Jul14.1...@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>

STOP THIS THREAD.....Its getting old. If people are ignorant and
believe that 'american beer' is just bud and miller....let 'em...there
will be more of the good stuff for us.....There is some great beer
here and its a shame most people will never taste it.
Sam adams bock, winter lager, are just a few to be mentioned.

Felicity Norrish

Jul 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/19/95
Bernie Adalem (bad...@tetherless.net) wrote:

*** I know you have asked here for beers available in the US for
something different.... but I just wanted to add to this thread & say
that some Australian beers are pretty good!

BUT WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C Ya
Felicity <-XO->

PS Chelios DESERVED the Norris! Hawks in '96!

Christopher Krepich

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95

Give Yuengling Traditional Lager atry for a change-of-pace. It's brewed in
Pottsville, Pa and is America's oldest brewery.

Jason Kurylo

Jul 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/20/95
Sorry, but my fave brew is the simple, yet satisfying, Rickard's Red...

--
Jason Kurylo
Head Poser

Nightmare Scenario # 509: You wake up in the bathroom, your head is heavy and pounding. After several minutes attempting to remember last night's activities, you hear a voice from the bedroom. It sounds awfully familiar (or is that familiarally awful?). As you approach the room with dread, you open the door to a naked Carol Channing serenading a frothing Phylis Diller, something about, "diamonds *were* a girl's best friend..." Suddently both turn to you, and coo, "wow, you were great..."