ANOTHER TRADE!! CAL-DAL

Stephane Belair

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
TSN has just reported that Nieuwendyk has been traded to the Dallas Stars
for Corey Millen and Jarome Iginla. (prospect)
Iginla is now playing with Kamloops in the WHL.

Steph

--
"But i can't tell you, how many ways that i've sat and viewed my
life today, but i can tell you/ i don't think that i could find an

DannyD

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
So much for pickin up Nieuwendyk in my hockey pool...

Looks on paper like a steal for the Stars -- unless Iginla is a good
prospect. I'm not familiar with him.

-dan
dan...@cnct.com

Stephane Belair (bt...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:
: TSN has just reported that Nieuwendyk has been traded to the Dallas Stars

neil poska

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
In article <4b9u4g$n...@cnct.com>, DannyD <dan...@cnct.com> wrote:
>So much for pickin up Nieuwendyk in my hockey pool...
>
>Looks on paper like a steal for the Stars -- unless Iginla is a good
>prospect. I'm not familiar with him.

Iginla is a projected second or third liner. A good worker, supposedly
nothing special. I was FURIOUS when Dallas selected him in the first round.
They needed pure goal scorers, but went for another grinder. The original
report on him was "no real strong points , no real weak points".

I agree that this looks like a complete steal for the Stars - if
Nieuwendyk stays healthy.

By the way, I was even more angry when we selected Patrick Cote in the
second round. Just what we needed - a goon projected for the fourth or
fifth round.

Neil

neil poska

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
By the way, an interesting postscript to this trade:

I tried to make the trade on Sega NHL96 (Nieuwendyk for Millen) and
Calgary rejected the trade as too lopsided! I guess the game confirms the
steal.

Neil

Vern Faulkner

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95
np> I tried to make the trade on Sega NHL96 (Nieuwendyk for Millen) and
np> Calgary rejected the trade as too lopsided! I guess the game confirms the
np> steal.

Maybe there's a gift you can give the Calgary management - a computer
trade-assessment tool that comes disguised as a videogame...

Bill Pollard

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95

Calgary's management is probably too cheap to even buy a Sega game
cartridge, let alone the game system. They're reaping the rewards of
their hard-line on salaries. So much for renovating the Saddledome and
selling the name to Canadian Airlines to cover salaries!

They'd probably be willing to part with Fleury for an Atari 2600.

steve

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95
Vern Faulkner <Vern.F...@f44.n340.z1.fidonet.org> wrote:
> np> I tried to make the trade on Sega NHL96 (Nieuwendyk for Millen) and
> np> Calgary rejected the trade as too lopsided! I guess the game confirms the
> np> steal.
>
>Maybe there's a gift you can give the Calgary management - a computer
>trade-assessment tool that comes disguised as a videogame...

To bad in Sega you also can't give Calgary one of the best prospects in
last year's draft along with Millen, then maybe Sega would let you make
that trade. I'm not even trying to say this was a good deal for calgary,
what I'm saying was the Jarome Igilna was the key to the deal, Corey
Millen wasn't much more than a throw in. Once we see how Igilna develops
than it will be easier to rate this trade.

Bob Winning

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
In article <DJyy3...@cunews.carleton.ca>, rmcc...@chat.carleton.ca
(Richard McConnell) wrote:

> Final thought: if they were going to trade for a guy that wasn't going to
> help them this year, why the rush? The Flames should have traded Nieuwy
> when the best possible deal was on the table, from a desperate team closer
> to playoff time. A team like Washington is seething with prospects and
> likely would have coughed up a sweeter package with visions of an early
> playoff exit dancing in their heads...

That's what I don't get. They waited so long to make a trade in the first
place, and this trade is obviously not to help the team in the short term.
Since they've obviously written off this season already, why not wait
until the trading deadline and get a better deal?

Richard McConnell

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
> To bad in Sega you also can't give Calgary one of the best prospects in
> last year's draft along with Millen, then maybe Sega would let you make
> that trade. I'm not even trying to say this was a good deal for calgary,
> what I'm saying was the Jarome Igilna was the key to the deal, Corey
> Millen wasn't much more than a throw in. Once we see how Igilna develops
> than it will be easier to rate this trade.

I'd agree... from all reports, however, Iginla is not projected to be more
than a 2nd line RW at best. Good size and decent all-around skills
without being especially good at anything: read, at best, 30-35 goals and
65-70 pts/year. And that's assuming he develops to his fullest and not
get ruined by the Flames' development system, which is turning bright
prospects into career minor leaguers at a healthy rate.

However, as the Sun pointed out this morning, getting a 24-25 year old
scoring forward in his prime for the 29 year old Nieuwendyk was simply not
going to happen. The two choices facing the Flames was to either swap him
for another high priced veteran which they couldn't afford and tread water
or add some talent to their prospect crop - now whether or not Iginla
alone is worth that... I would have been happier seeing the Flames get
another young player from the Stars ie. Langenbrunner, Jinman, or even
Harvey, even if they had to give up more than just Nieuwendyk to land the
extra prospect.

Final thought: if they were going to trade for a guy that wasn't going to
help them this year, why the rush? The Flames should have traded Nieuwy
when the best possible deal was on the table, from a desperate team closer
to playoff time. A team like Washington is seething with prospects and
likely would have coughed up a sweeter package with visions of an early
playoff exit dancing in their heads...

Richard McConnell
3rd(+1/2) Year Geographic Information Processing
Carleton University, Ottawa Ont, CANADA

"GIS?!? We don't need no STEENKING GIS!!"

Email address: rmcc...@chat.carleton.ca

vzhivov

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
In article <nposkaD...@netcom.com>, npo...@netcom.com (neil poska) says:

> Iginla is a projected second or third liner. A good worker, supposedly
>nothing special. I was FURIOUS when Dallas selected him in the first round.
>They needed pure goal scorers, but went for another grinder. The original
>report on him was "no real strong points , no real weak points".

Iginla is projected to be Keith Tkachuk. Pretty much all the people
in the know agree that he's the best prospect out there. We'll see
how much of a steal this is when Niewendyk's back gives out, not
to mention his leadership qualities which usually lead to the tee.

Thus Spake Vlad the Impaler
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares
will be doing the plowing for those who do not
Blessed are the victorious, for victory is the basis of right.
Cursed are the vanquished, for they shall be vassals forever.
rec.sport.hockey contact for the Calgary Flames

John Nyhan

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
As a caps fan I have no doubt that if the goal is to stock up we were the
ideal place to look. No one wastes more young talent than the my beloved
caps.
--

John Nyhan

Doug Larsen

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
In article <4c525h$i...@news1.usa.pipeline.com>
Send Calgary some young talent we will let you have Housley