WHO WILL BE THE BEST PLAYER BETWEEN 1996-2000

Jan Czaszynski

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?

Contenders:
Eric Lindros
Jaromir Jagr
Mario Lemieux
Peter Forsberg
Paul Kariya
Pavel Bure
Sergei Federov
Wayne Gretzky
Mark Messier
Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
Jeremy Roenick
Alexander Mogilny
Domanik Hasek
Joe Sakic

I know I probably left someone off the list that should be on it like
Saku Koivu or Eric Daze. But those players will develop and I think that
their prime will be past the year 2000. Maybe Teemu Selanne too.

I think that Peter Forsberg or Eric Lindros will be the best.

Jan

jach...@mail1.tiac.net

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?

Contenders:
Eric Lindros
Jaromir Jagr
Mario Lemieux
Peter Forsberg
Paul Kariya
Pavel Bure
Sergei Federov
Wayne Gretzky
Mark Messier
Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
Jeremy Roenick
Alexander Mogilny
Domanik Hasek
Joe Sakic

I think that this is a gimme
Paul Kariya...If anyone doubts this,I doubt that he has seen Kariya...he
has had _noone_ to play with until selanne went to CA. Federov is
better now, but Kariya is getting better and better

Jonathan Yee

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Jan Czaszynski (jcza...@cln.etc.bc.ca) wrote:
:
: Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?
:
: Contenders:
: Eric Lindros <--------LINDROS TIED FOR 1ST
: Jaromir Jagr <--------JAGR TIED FOR 1ST
: Mario Lemieux <-------WON'T LAST FOR FOUR MORE YEARS AT THE LEVEL HE
WAS AT THIS YEAR
: Peter Forsberg <------OUTSIDE CHANCE.... HAVEN'T SEEN HIM PLAY ENOUGH
: Paul Kariya <---------SAME AS ABOVE.... DON'T SEE MANY DUCKS OR AV'S GAMES
: Pavel Bure <---------ONLY IF HE COMES BACK FROM HIS INJURY AND SCORES
60 AGAIN.... BUT HE WILL ALWAYS BE A DEFENSIVE LIABILITY
: Sergei Federov <------GREAT DEFENSIVELY... PROBABLY THE BEST ON THIS
LIST BUT NOT OFFENSIVE ENOUGH
: Wayne Gretzky <-------ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!!? GRETZ WAS GREAT BEFORE,
BUT HE IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TOP TIER OF PLAYERS NOW.
: Mark Messier <---------SAME HERE
: Martin Brodeur

: Patrick Roy
: Jeremy Roenick
: Alexander Mogilny
: Domanik Hasek
: Joe Sakic
:

If you're gonna put Messier on, at least put my hero Yzerman on.... I
know he ain't got a chance at being the best for the next four years, but
at least show him some respect.

-Jon

8888888 "I press on toward the goal to win
88888888888
888888888888888 the prize for which God has called
88888 888 88888
88888 888 88888 me heavenward in Christ Jesus"
88888888888888888
888 888888888 888 - Philippians 3:14
8888 8888888 8888
8888 8888
88888888888 "Since you went away... I've been hanging around...
8888888 wondering why... I'm feeling down..." - P.S.B.

"The picture you see, is no portrait of me. It's too real to be shown
to someone I don't know." - NeW OrDeR

"I've been getting away with it all my life..." - Bernard

"Ain't doin' nuthin' but gittin' FUNKDAFIED Big Baby!" - Da Brat

"Let me take you on an escapade..." Janet Jackson

Stahl

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

I think Jaromir Jagr will be the best player ang get 2 maybe 3 ART ROSS
before 2000.

Lisa Kriwonos

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

In article <4nrjf6$3...@news-central.tiac.net> <jach...@mail1.tiac.net> writes:
>Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?
>
>Contenders:
>Eric Lindros first
>Jaromir Jagr second
>Peter Forsberg third
>Paul Kariya fourth
>Jeremy Roenick Fifth

Now of course this is assuming Mario will only play one or two years like
he has hinted at. If he players longer I'd have to include him in the
top 5 for sure.

Blue-eyes

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

jcza...@cln.etc.bc.ca (Jan Czaszynski) wrote:

>Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?

My guess is that Forsberg and Lindros will lead their respective teams
further on in their careers and we'll probably see them battle it out
in the finals quite a few times...Jagr is awsome but he lacks somewhat
defensively and I dont think he is such a leader. Kariya will go far
for the ducks....

Giorgio

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

If we're strictly talking about the best player, I'd have to say Jagr.
Look at him, he's already MIGHT be the best player right now, shoulder to
shoulder with #66. To say he's not a leader is not fair, it's still
Lemieux's team right now. Lindros is not a leader, he's a loser. If he
was such a leader, he would back up his words and beat the Panties.
Leaders step up in the playoffs, like Lemieux, Stevie Y, and Joe Sakic,
not Forsberg. Forsberg totally disappeard last round against the Hawks.

Dr Hyde

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96
to jcza...@cln.etc.bc.ca

jcza...@cln.etc.bc.ca (Jan Czaszynski) wrote:

>Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?
>
>Contenders:
>Eric Lindros
>Jaromir Jagr
>Mario Lemieux
>Peter Forsberg
>Paul Kariya
>Pavel Bure
>Sergei Federov
>Wayne Gretzky
>Mark Messier
>Martin Brodeur
>Patrick Roy
>Jeremy Roenick
>Alexander Mogilny
>Domanik Hasek
>Joe Sakic
>

>I know I probably left someone off the list that should be on it like
>Saku Koivu or Eric Daze. But those players will develop and I think that
>their prime will be past the year 2000. Maybe Teemu Selanne too.
>
>I think that Peter Forsberg or Eric Lindros will be the best.
>
>Jan

Jaromir Jagr will be known as the greatest hockey player ever in 10 or so
years. I can see it in him. He has the power and the will to do great
things. And he was taught by the other greatest player in the world,
SuperMario. Together they can rule the hockey world.

--
~~ Jerry! ~~ HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SHOOTS AND SCORES!!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~ PETR NEDVED GETS THE GAME WINNER IN THE 4TH OT!!!

2 DOWN 2 TO GO, ANOTHER TOWN AND ONE MORE SHOW!!

LETS GO PITTSBURGH PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!

.---. .--------------
/ \ ^^ / ------
/ / \(..)/ -----
////// ' \/ ' --- Rehabilitation Counselor
//// / // : : --- Skills Trainer/Peer Counselor
// / / /' '--
// //..\\ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
----VV----VV---...@sgi.net---------------------!
'//||\\' ^^^^^^^^^^^^
''''
^^^
(o o)
_____oOO__(_)__OOo_____
************ V ***********
LET THE MADNESS... BEGIN!!
**************************

Kev

May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96

> :
> : Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?
> :
> : Contenders:

> : Eric Lindros <--------LINDROS TIED FOR 1ST
> : Jaromir Jagr <--------JAGR TIED FOR 1ST
> : Mario Lemieux <-------WON'T LAST FOR FOUR MORE YEARS AT THE LEVEL HE
> WAS AT THIS YEAR
> : Peter Forsberg <------OUTSIDE CHANCE.... HAVEN'T SEEN HIM PLAY ENOUGH
> : Paul Kariya <---------SAME AS ABOVE.... DON'T SEE MANY DUCKS OR AV'S GAMES
> : Pavel Bure <---------ONLY IF HE COMES BACK FROM HIS INJURY AND SCORES
> 60 AGAIN.... BUT HE WILL ALWAYS BE A DEFENSIVE LIABILITY
> : Sergei Federov <------GREAT DEFENSIVELY... PROBABLY THE BEST ON THIS
> LIST BUT NOT OFFENSIVE ENOUGH
> : Wayne Gretzky <-------ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!!? GRETZ WAS GREAT BEFORE,
> BUT HE IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TOP TIER OF PLAYERS NOW.
> : Mark Messier <---------SAME HERE
> : Martin Brodeur

> : Patrick Roy
> : Jeremy Roenick
> : Alexander Mogilny
> : Domanik Hasek
> : Joe Sakic
> :
How about Dougie (puck on a string) Weight.

Thanx,
Kev.
// Kevin Dunbar
// Owner, President, General Manager
//=// Sherwood Storm (EHH)
/HERWOOD e-mail : kdu...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
//TORM ULR : http://www.ualberta.ca/~kdunbar/storm/storm.html

Harvey Lee

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

: > :
: > : Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?
: > :

Here's a vote for Paul Kariya. He's a highly skilled, *SMART* player
who is doing terrific despite his lame team. Kariya reminds a lot of
Sakic. Great acceleration and speed, soft hands, quick release, hard
and accurate shot. He's also ok defensively, mainly because of his
wheels and his smarts.

Jagr has the advantage of being on a great team so he can showcase his
talent to the world. Unfortunately, Kariya only has the backing of
Disney until the team can get more Selanne's and do something in the
playoffs.

Kariya loves the game. His past obsession "the perfect stick" tells
me that he's always looking to better his game while studying the
masters.

Harvey

sonny hays-eberts

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <4oks81$8...@hacgate2.hac.com>, hy...@sgs.es.hac.com (Harvey
Lee) wrote:

> : > :
> : > : Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?
> : > :
>
> Here's a vote for Paul Kariya. He's a highly skilled, *SMART* player
> who is doing terrific despite his lame team. Kariya reminds a lot of
> Sakic. Great acceleration and speed, soft hands, quick release, hard
> and accurate shot. He's also ok defensively, mainly because of his
> wheels and his smarts.

very good choice, but as an isles fan, i'm hoping it turns out to be ziggy
palffy and eric fichaud....

--
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
-- H.G. Wells

sonny hays-eberts
ebe...@oregon.uoregon.edu

Nestor Ocampo

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <4ocq98$o...@taurus.bv.sgi.net>, Dr Hyde <oz...@sgi.net> wrote:

:jcza...@cln.etc.bc.ca (Jan Czaszynski) wrote:
:>
:>Who do you think will be the best player between 1996-2000?
:>
:>Contenders:
:>Eric Lindros
:>Jaromir Jagr
:>Mario Lemieux
:>Peter Forsberg
:
:Jaromir Jagr will be known as the greatest hockey player ever in 10 or so
:years. I can see it in him. He has the power and the will to do great
:things. And he was taught by the other greatest player in the world,
:SuperMario. Together they can rule the hockey world.

Jagr's success is dependent on the open ice afforded to him by the
opposition's focus on Lemieux. Should the Pens find success this year,
expect Lemieux's retirement to be an inevitable consequence. In
foresight, the Pens will lack leadership from Jagr and his point
totals will diminish.

Peter Forsberg gets my vote. He has shown his ability to play well
through physical and wide-open games. Experience will season his play
and his ability will increase proportionately.

--
\|/ Nestor Ocampo
(.~.) Biological Sciences

Anders Thelemyr

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Peter Forsberg!
Not a major goal-scorer but the most complete player!

--
[My employer has nothing to do with what I post]
Anders Thelemyr

Fude Max Chuang

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <Ds8Mw...@news.uwindsor.ca>,

Nestor Ocampo <oca...@uwindsor.ca> wrote:
>Jagr's success is dependent on the open ice afforded to him by the
>opposition's focus on Lemieux. Should the Pens find success this year,
>expect Lemieux's retirement to be an inevitable consequence. In
>foresight, the Pens will lack leadership from Jagr and his point
>totals will diminish.

And was everyone focusing on Mario when Jagr was winning the scoring
title last year?

Max
F. Max Chuang || Information ....
(ma...@csua.berkeley.edu) || wants to be free ...

Nicholas Winton

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

For Isles fans, you have a lot of good guys coming up --
Todd Bertuzzi could certainly be that dominant player!

My own opinion is that the dominant scorer will be Paul Kariya
(since he is playing on a team that is exciting in the Offensive zone)
but the Oilers will be a dynasty again, led by Jason Arnott aka
Conan The Destroyer, Dougie Weight and Cujo!

NIc

CampusLife - University of Toronto http://www.campuslife.utoronto.ca

sonny hays-eberts

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In article <27001631...@campuslife.utoronto.ca>,
Nichola...@campuslife.utoronto.ca wrote:

> For Isles fans, you have a lot of good guys coming up --
> Todd Bertuzzi could certainly be that dominant player!

you bet. i've been stoked on bertuzzi for a few years, and always thought
he was the player don mixedmeatproductsforbrains maloney was really
talking about as the better lindros. :)

ok, to paraphrase another thread, bertuzzi is no eric lindros. yet. i do
realize that. but he may very well turn into that same type of player and
may make me happy (after this years playoffs) that the earlier islander
cries a few years back to get primeau didn't pan out. but he should
emerge as a player in the tkachuk/primeau mold; maybe even a better
scorer. i believe he was the leading scorer when at guelph one year and #2
the other. nancy mackinnon will correct me if i'm wrong. :)

> My own opinion is that the dominant scorer will be Paul Kariya
> (since he is playing on a team that is exciting in the Offensive zone)
> but the Oilers will be a dynasty again, led by Jason Arnott aka
> Conan The Destroyer, Dougie Weight and Cujo!

at this point, the oilers, habs and islanders all look like they have a
great shot to emerge as the strong teams of the late 90s, with maybe the
habs being the favorites to do so (and it does pain me a bit to
acknowledge that). of course all one of them has to do is hire somebody
like neil smith, mike keenan, or cliff fletcher who hoards old pharts and
the entire plan could go out the window, or even worse have a few key
players go through the brett lindros syndrome....

despite the islanders performance this year, the future looks bright. now,
where are those shades? :)

there seems to be an awful lot of talk about free agents *wanting* to go
to anaheim to center selanne and kariya. guys like roenick (unlikely) have
been mentioned. not bad for a franchise a lot of people bad-mouthed early
on as a joke. along with florida they may end up being one of the top two
of the five recent expansion teams.

Daniel Hitomi

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4oks81$8...@hacgate2.hac.com>,

>Kariya loves the game. His past obsession "the perfect stick" tells
>me that he's always looking to better his game while studying the
>masters.

Kariya definitely has the obsession to improve his game
constantly, as he has taken up juggling before to improve his dexterity,
he practices batting down flipped pucks by having someone shoot waist
high passes to him, and he has been practicing right-handed so he can
shoot a forehand in either direction.
I think Kariya is one of the most exciting players in the game
today, and he makes things happen on the ice. His one timing wrist shots
are just unbelievable..