Norman haters - Please explain

James Bess

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
I can't believe the amount of anti-Norman mail being posted to this list.
Could any of you Norman haters please explain why he seems to be so
despised. I just can't see it.

I enjoy watching the world's best golfer perform at the highest level. I
realize he has a few bad rounds, but show me a golfer who doesn't. Nobody
breaks 70 all the time.

He's been beaten in several majors by a single stroke, sometimes in sudden
death. Is there anyone out there who doesn't like to see sudden death? I
find myself hoping someone will miss a putt or make a putt on the last hole
of regulation play, because it will force a playoff.

It would be hard to name very many golfers who have given us more viewing
excitement than Norman. He has often been on the losing side of this
excitement but, shouldn't the agony of defeat be its own punishment?

Finally, Norman took up the game of golf as a teenager. After only 19
months he had become a scratch golfer. 19 months! The man has talent
beyond belief!

So....., Why do so many of you take pleasure in his latest failure?

Congratulations to Mr Faldo on a superb final round.

Jeff Rogers

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
>I enjoy watching the world's best golfer perform at the highest level. I
>realize he has a few bad rounds, but show me a golfer who doesn't. Nobody
>breaks 70 all the time.

So why is Norman "the world's best golfer"? Maybe that's why there
are so many anti-Norman golf fans out there, because he has probably
been given a title that has yet to be earned.

>Congratulations to Mr Faldo on a superb final round.

Mr. Faldo has won three times as many majors as Greg Norman. Why
isn't he "the world's best golfer"?
Jeff Rogers
http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrogers/

"I don't have a solution, but I certainly
admire the problem." -- Ashley Brilliant

James Bess

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96
At 10:32 PM 4/19/96 +0000, you wrote:

>So why is Norman "the world's best golfer"? Maybe that's why there
>are so many anti-Norman golf fans out there, because he has probably
>been given a title that has yet to be earned.
>
>Mr. Faldo has won three times as many majors as Greg Norman. Why
>isn't he "the world's best golfer"?
>Jeff Rogers

Norman has earned the title based on recent performance. He is #1 on the
Sony world ranking. He led 1995 PGA Tour in earnings, and in scoring with a
69.06 average. Faldo is #3 according to Sony. He simply has not performed
as well as Norman.

Jim

Shea Bennett

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
James Bess <ParShoot...@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote:

>I can't believe the amount of anti-Norman mail being posted to this list.
>Could any of you Norman haters please explain why he seems to be so
>despised. I just can't see it.

I was going to post an article like this but figured it would be a
little pointless as most of the stick would be anti-me rather than
explaining anti-Norman beliefs. I also cannot see why Norman is hated
by some people. Yet these same people find wonders in the most
mundane, shallow, tedious golfers on the planet.

>Finally, Norman took up the game of golf as a teenager. After only 19
>months he had become a scratch golfer. 19 months! The man has talent
>beyond belief!

Agreed.

>So....., Why do so many of you take pleasure in his latest failure?

I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with people who possess
amazing natural ability, but who don't often capitalise on their
talents. Often these kinds of sportsmen have a love/hate relationship
with fans (think Nicklaus, Ballesteros in golf, and Agassi, McEnroe,
Abdul-Jabbar, Dominique Wilkins, Bo Jackson, etc in other sports). I
also think people tend to like sportspeople who reflect their own way
of life, opinions etc... dull people like dull people.

Shea Bennett (s...@trend-analysis.co.uk)

Brian Schuster

Apr 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/21/96
s...@trend-analysis.co.uk (Shea Bennett) wrote:

>James Bess <ParShoot...@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote:

>>I can't believe the amount of anti-Norman mail being posted to this list.
>>Could any of you Norman haters please explain why he seems to be so
>>despised. I just can't see it.

This is an easy one. I have seen the two sides of Norman. He basically has the
one side he puts forth toward his fellow pros, sportscasters, etc., and the side
he puts forth toward the average guy. Though he treats the former with a great
deal of class and respect, he treats to latter like crap.

For instance:
In the three times I have seen him at the Kemper Open, he has always covered his
head and try to sneak out rather than sign a few autographs for the fans.

I have talked to three people (from two separate occaisions), who have been in
his pro-am group. They all said he was a total jerk, and treated them to an
assembly line atmosphere (e.g. He said "Could we hurry up and get these pictures
over with" in reference to the first tee photo session). They all said that he
basically approached them with a holier than thou attitude and basically ignored
the amateurs in his group.

Aside from those, he generally seems to have a very arrogant attitude.

>>Finally, Norman took up the game of golf as a teenager. After only 19
>>months he had become a scratch golfer. 19 months! The man has talent
>>beyond belief!

>Agreed.

I agree here as well.

>>So....., Why do so many of you take pleasure in his latest failure?

I don't really take pleasure in it. As much as I think he is a true jerk, I
wouldn't wish what happened to him on my worst enemy.

>Shea Bennett (s...@trend-analysis.co.uk)

Carol Kavana

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <317813fc....@news.mindspring.com>,
jwro...@mindspring.com says...

>>I enjoy watching the world's best golfer perform at the highest level.
>>realize he has a few bad rounds, but show me a golfer who doesn't.
Nobody
>>breaks 70 all the time.

:>So why is Norman "the world's best golfer"? Maybe that's why there

:>are so many anti-Norman golf fans out there, because he has probably
:>been given a title that has yet to be earned.

I psee, that explains why you and others *hate* Norman????? Has
HE claimed he is *the world's best golfer* or has this 'label'
been given to him by others?

>>Congratulations to Mr Faldo on a superb final round.

:>Mr. Faldo has won three times as many majors as Greg Norman. Why

:>isn't he "the world's best golfer"?
:>Jeff Rogers

:>http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrogers/

Well, I for one have no idea, but I'm quietly confident that
neither Faldo or Norman would object if YOU wanted to give
Faldo that label!

In Australia it's called 'the tall poppy' syndrome. I don't
know what it's called in the U.S. The theory goes that the
world is divided into the glass is half full or half empty
types. The former are most often positive, open, empathic,
compassionate, and warm individuals, with reasonably high
self esteem, whereas the latter types are most
often negative, and mean spirited, hence envious, and bitter - hence
the types who enjoy to cut down tall poppies. It goes with their
fears about their own self worth.

Carol
Canberra
Australia

David Laville

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
On Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:33:42 GMT, James Bess
<ParShoot...@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> wrote:

>I can't believe the amount of anti-Norman mail being posted to this list.
>Could any of you Norman haters please explain why he seems to be so
>despised. I just can't see it.

I can explain it in one word, "ENVY". I have a friend who is a 100
shooter but thinks he should be playing on the PGA Tour. He despises
Greg Norman and says he isn't worth a crap. A 100 shooter saying a 60
shooter isn't worth a crap, you figure it out,

Jeff Rogers

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
On 22 Apr 1996 02:17:21 GMT, Car...@coombs.anu.edu.au (Carol Kavana)
wrote:

>In Australia it's called 'the tall poppy' syndrome. I don't
>know what it's called in the U.S. The theory goes that the
>world is divided into the glass is half full or half empty
>types. The former are most often positive, open, empathic,
>compassionate, and warm individuals, with reasonably high
>self esteem, whereas the latter types are most
>often negative, and mean spirited, hence envious, and bitter - hence
>the types who enjoy to cut down tall poppies. It goes with their
>fears about their own self worth.

Carol, you are absolutely correct and I didn't see that point of
view...

It's not Norman's fault that he's a media darling and nobody remember
who Larry Nelson is... it's not Norman's fault that non-golfers know
him, but don't know Hale Irwin... I certainly can't blame him for
taking advantage of his opportunities for endorsements. Hmmm... this
makes me think a bit more.

But I wish that sportscasters would be a bit more cautious about the
"world's best golfer" title. You can't keep giving that thing out two
times a year like they are now... you have to earn it over, say,.six
majors in a Nick Faldo-like span, or eight majors in a Tom Watson-like
span...

Thanks for your interesting point of view...

Fins Up!

David Laville

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
>So....., Why do so many of you take pleasure in his latest failure?

The key word here is "failure". Greg Norman's failure to win the
Masters make it feel as if they are getting even with him. Greg
Norman possesses a talent probably no one in this news group has, but
by failing it brought him down to their level, a level of not being
able to win. That is why there is so much joy in his failure.

Dave Tutelman

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <317b101d...@news.earthlink.net>,

David Laville <dlav...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>So....., Why do so many of you take pleasure in his latest failure?
>
>The key word here is "failure". Greg Norman's failure to win the
>Masters make it feel as if they are getting even with him.

I think David is close here, but may have picked the wrong target.

I'm not a Norman-hater by any means. I always enjoy watching him, and
really felt terrible for him last Sunday. No, I didn't take pleasure
in his failure. Until.....

The world in general (and this newsgroup as a microcosm) has some members
who are dyed-in-the-wool Norman fans, and who get really "in your face"
about it. They, not Norman, are the ones who consistently overrate his
position in the golfing world. And they, not Norman, are the ones toward
whom I felt some measure of revenge.

Consider the asshole who posted a "take that" article somewhere in the
middle of the Masters. While I could feel for Norman, something inside me
was relishing the beating this guy would take in followups all week. While
his was an extreme posting, there are lots of posts in RSG that do the same
thing on a less obvious scale. IMHO:
- Norman was the best golfer in the world last year.
- The number one spot is less obvious so far this year, but he's right
up there.
- He's not god. So far, he hasn't even established a claim to "best golfer
of the 90s".
- He's nowhere near the "greats of the game", in spite of what his
apologists would like to believe.

People who argue for a postion for Norman well above this estimation get my
goat. And, while I would rather watch Norman give a clinic to the rest of
the field, his "failures" provide me with the opportunity to watch those
people eat a little crow.

So no, I don't resent Norman, and I grin widely when he demonstrates his
superior talent -- such as on Thursday, when I was treated to as pure a
demonstration of golf as I've seen in a year. But his slip-ups do give me
a chance to enjoy the discomfiture of a bunch of people who insist in
basking in Norman's reflected glory.

I bet there are lots of others out there like me, who may APPEAR to be
Norman-haters, but are really Norman-lover-haters.

Cheers!
Dave

Richard Stern

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
RE: Norman haters - Please explain

I'm not a Norman hater, but I'm not one of his big fans either.
Why?

- He seems to flaunt his wealth. Flying to local tourneys
in your private helicopter and asking for jet fuel as appearance
fees is a bit much for me. Somehow I don't think you'd see
Jack or Arnie doing either of these. This is further backed
up by his comment after Sunday's round, "Sure I lost the
Masters, but don't feel bad for me, I've got 40 million dollars".

- His "World Tour" dealings. I'm sure he'd love to have his
own little private golf tour with his buddies where they can
play every week and last place pays $30k. Who wouldn't?

- His comment to Corey Pavin after winning the US Open. "Welcome
to the club"!?! What the hell? What club? Oh, major tournament
winners :-). How about "Congratulations on a fine round and
a US Open title, Corey. Great job"!! Maybe it's me, but I
took Greg's comment to say "now you're almost as cool as me".

Greg's a great player, no doubt. I would have liked to see him finish
well on Sunday and win the green jacket, and maybe Nick Faldo could
have said "welcome to the club" as they walked off the 18th :-) :-).

Richard Stern
rst...@col.hp.com

Terry Pierce

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
Jeff Rogers wrote:

> >I enjoy watching the world's best golfer perform at the highest level. I
> >realize he has a few bad rounds, but show me a golfer who doesn't. Nobody
> >breaks 70 all the time.
>
> So why is Norman "the world's best golfer"? Maybe that's why there
> are so many anti-Norman golf fans out there, because he has probably
> been given a title that has yet to be earned.
>
> >Congratulations to Mr Faldo on a superb final round.
>
> Mr. Faldo has won three times as many majors as Greg Norman. Why
> isn't he "the world's best golfer"?

> Jeff Rogers
> http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrogers/
>
> "I don't have a solution, but I certainly
> admire the problem." -- Ashley Brilliant

When people bash the sony rankings, the biggest argument is that they
are skewed to favor IMG clients. If this is true, isn't it a testament
to Norman's great play the last few years that he is ranked ahead of
one of IMG biggest clients (Faldo)? Either the bashers are wrong, or
Greg Norman is the number one ranked golfer in the world.

BTW, does anyone know how many tournaments Faldo has won? Norman has
70 around the world, but I don't know Nick's count. Is it close to that?
I know that Norman was making cuts on the PGA tour (deepest tour on
planet earth) while Faldo missed a few. Does anyone (Dan King) have those
numbers?
TERRY PIERCE || pie...@admin.son.uab.edu
UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA || tpi...@wwisp.com
SCHOOL OF NURSING || all opinions are mine alone

John A Satriano

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96

> >So....., Why do so many of you take pleasure in his latest failure?

This conversation is really getting wierd. We're talking professional sports
here. There is always a winner, and at least one loser. The people who 'root'
for or 'like' the winner always take pleasure in the loser's failure. You never
see conversations like this in football, baseball or any other sport.

As for Norman personally, he's just a guy. I don't know him, does anybody here?
I can certainly assume that his on screen persona has little to do with his real
life, so I can only make vague assumptions about who Greg Norman really is.
Based on those, I find it hard to 'like', 'love', or 'hate' any sports figure.

Sports figures get paid a lot of money to be entertainment to the general
public. If they weren't providing entertainment, they wouldn't be getting the
massive paychecks. Part of the job of entertainer is being open to criticism,
since the people they entertain are in effect their employers. When people feel
the entertainment value is not up to snuff, they can and do complain.

Somehow I don't see a problem with this. If pro sports figures never crashed and
burned, there would be no entertainment. Who wants to watch any sports event
where the winner is known beforehand? The drama and tension of watching them
hang on to win, or blow it and lose is an essential part of the entertainment.

--
John A Satriano

Member: Bogey Golfers of America

------ Visit our Web Site -------

http://www.izzy.com/~bgatour/

jw...@lehigh.edu

Apr 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/22/96
In article <4lftmf$p...@nntpa.cb.att.com>, d...@pegasus.bl-els.att.com (Dave Tutelm

an) writes:
>So no, I don't resent Norman, and I grin widely when he demonstrates his
>superior talent -- such as on Thursday, when I was treated to as pure a
>demonstration of golf as I've seen in a year. But his slip-ups do give me
>a chance to enjoy the discomfiture of a bunch of people who insist in
>basking in Norman's reflected glory.
>
>I bet there are lots of others out there like me, who may APPEAR to be
>Norman-haters, but are really Norman-lover-haters.

Well said Dave!! I'm with you as a Norman-lover-hater.

Jeff Tepper e-mail:jw...@lehigh.edu
Lehigh University Home page: http://www.lehigh.edu/~jwt2/jwt2.html
Class of '98 Georgia Tech Basketball website:
Computer Science http://www.lehigh.edu/~jwt2/gt.html

David Laville

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
wrote:

>In Australia it's called 'the tall poppy' syndrome. I don't
>know what it's called in the U.S. The theory goes that the
>world is divided into the glass is half full or half empty
>types. The former are most often positive, open, empathic,
>compassionate, and warm individuals, with reasonably high
>self esteem, whereas the latter types are most
>often negative, and mean spirited, hence envious, and bitter - hence
>the types who enjoy to cut down tall poppies. It goes with their
>fears about their own self worth.
>
>Carol

>Canberra
>Australia

Isn't this the truth! You put it better than I could have.

David

Padmanabhan Premkumar

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
In article <4lg5ja$i...@nonews.col.hp.com> rst...@col.hp.com (Richard Stern) writes:
>RE: Norman haters - Please explain
>
>I'm not a Norman hater, but I'm not one of his big fans either.
>Why?
>
> up by his comment after Sunday's round, "Sure I lost the
> Masters, but don't feel bad for me, I've got 40 million dollars".

Norman _never_ said this. Mark Limbaugh seems to have made it up.

Prem

mischke john

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96

Afraid not, my friend. Mark Limbaugh is correct.

Norman did say this in the press conference following his Sunday round at
Augusta. It was reported by the New York Times, The (Baltimore) Sun and
at least one other paper... (as a college sports writer who has a
sports-talk radio show and aspires to be covering sports for the rest of
my life, I make it a point to read every newspaper -- re: sports section
-- I can get my hands on)

I'm not sure that it was his exact wording, but he basically said "Don't
feel bad for me (or maybe I'll be alright...), I've got 40 million dollars."

I can look it up.

> Prem

Dan King

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Terry Pierce <pie...@admin.son.uab.edu> writes:

>BTW, does anyone know how many tournaments Faldo has won? Norman has
>70 around the world, but I don't know Nick's count. Is it close to that?
>I know that Norman was making cuts on the PGA tour (deepest tour on
>planet earth) while Faldo missed a few. Does anyone (Dan King) have those
>numbers?

Wins Majors U.S. Europe Africa Australia Asia Inter
Faldo 37 6 5 29 2 0 1 1
Norman 69 2 16 18 0 29 6 0

Dan King
djk...@netcom.com
dk...@nas.nasa.gov

The world's No. 1 tennis player spends 90 percent of his time
winning, while the world's No. 1 golfer spends 90 percent of his
time losing. Golfer's are great losers.
--David Feherty

Dan King

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
pr...@ansoft.com (Padmanabhan Premkumar) writes:

>> up by his comment after Sunday's round, "Sure I lost the
>> Masters, but don't feel bad for me, I've got 40 million dollars".

>Norman _never_ said this. Mark Limbaugh seems to have made it up.

Here are the quotes from his post-tournament press room interview that
regard money:

Q. Greg, I read that you collected -- is it 40 million in your share
of stock? So financially, this is just peanuts to you.

A. Well, yeah, you could say that, yeah. Is it 40 million? Well,
something like that. So there's a good thing about life, see?
I've got something that other people haven't got.

Q. Greg, do you have any feeling of wanting to go out of the room and
just screaming and just letting it all out?

A. I don't know how I could ever convince you guys -- I know I
screwed up today, but it's not the end of the world for me. It's
really not. God, I'd love to be putting this green jacket on here,
but it's not the end of the world for me. It's going to continue.
I've got 40 million bucks.

Q. Greg, what are you going to do with all the money?

A. All the money?

Q. The 40 million and the other millions.

A. The other millions and the other millions. Keep going, don't just
stop at those. Well, my kids are secure for the rest of their life.
My kids' kids will be secure. I enjoy my toys, as Rick knows.

I think that's the most important thing. I've been able to do
something for my family and the future generation of my family that
nobody's ever been able to do in my family to this day. And to have
that opportunity speaks volumes in itself.

To set something up that will be able to happen hundreds of years
down the line, it's like creating something out of nothing. That's
what makes me feel great. That's where that money goes. It doesn't
just sit there. It makes your whole life and your family life feel
so secure.

That's what hard work's all about. People might be envious of an
athlete making a lot of money, but, you know, there's reasons why
you do, too. There's smart business decisions. The way you approach
life, the way you play the game, the way you capitalize on things,
and I've done those. I've done them rather successfully.

So that, to me, is the most important. My family is just so secure
for the rest of their lives and their children.

Dan King
djk...@netcom.com
dk...@nas.nasa.gov

If I had won today and all those other championships, my life might
be totally different, but I didn't win. It's not going to affect my
life. I am upset inside, but I'm not going to run around and be like
a Dennis Rodman and head-butt an official.
--Greg Norman (on his shooting 78 in the closing round of the
1996 Masters, when he was leading by 6 shots and lost by 5 to
Nick Faldo)

Shea Bennett

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Terry Pierce <pie...@admin.son.uab.edu> wrote:

>BTW, does anyone know how many tournaments Faldo has won? Norman has
>70 around the world, but I don't know Nick's count. Is it close to that?
>I know that Norman was making cuts on the PGA tour (deepest tour on
>planet earth) while Faldo missed a few. Does anyone (Dan King) have those
>numbers?

I was discussing this the other day with a friend, and Faldo has won
nowhere near 70 tournaments around the world. Try half that. I don't
have the numbers here, but I'll post them later.

Faldo has won very little outside of the European Tour (3 Masters and
a couple of other wins in the US).

Shea Bennett (s...@trend-analysis.co.uk)

Terry Pierce

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Dan King wrote:

> Terry Pierce <pie...@admin.son.uab.edu> writes:
>
> >BTW, does anyone know how many tournaments Faldo has won? Norman has
> >70 around the world, but I don't know Nick's count. Is it close to that?
> >I know that Norman was making cuts on the PGA tour (deepest tour on
> >planet earth) while Faldo missed a few. Does anyone (Dan King) have those
> >numbers?
>
> Wins Majors U.S. Europe Africa Australia Asia Inter
> Faldo 37 6 5 29 2 0 1 1
> Norman 69 2 16 18 0 29 6 0
>
> Dan King
> djk...@netcom.com
> dk...@nas.nasa.gov

Thanks Dan. I didn't know what Nick's numbers were. I knew I could count
on you to have the info. The breakdown is pretty interesting. If you throw
out all but the strongest tours, (keep US & Europe) they have won the same
number (34).

> The world's No. 1 tennis player spends 90 percent of his time
> winning, while the world's No. 1 golfer spends 90 percent of his
> time losing. Golfer's are great losers.
> --David Feherty

I like this quote. Feherty has a great sense of humor. I really liked
him on the CBS coverage of the BellSouth the week prior to the Masters.
In fact, the best line I've heard in a long time was when Tolles (I think)
was teeing off with a 2 iron, and DF says, "He's going to hit the chicken
stick". Even McCord doesn't make me laugh like that.

Now on the first tee, Fuzzy Zoeller's science project.
Gary McCord introducing John Daly at a Merrill Lynch Shootout.

kat...@cris.com

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
pr...@ansoft.com (Padmanabhan Premkumar) wrote:

>Norman _never_ said this. Mark Limbaugh seems to have made it up.

Uh, yes, he did say that.

Ric

Gregory Gavich

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
C'mon, give me a break about this arrogance crap! Welcome to the club was
a catchy thing for Norman to say to Pavin instead of just saying Way to
Go or something mundane like that.

Give me a break! The guy emitts class. And yes, Arnold Palmer and Jack
Nicklaus fly to tournaments in their own private planes and own yachts
and all of that stuff. They've got the money and they've earned it!

GG

Mark M. Limbaugh

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

Padmanabhan Premkumar wrote:

> > up by his comment after Sunday's round, "Sure I lost the
> > Masters, but don't feel bad for me, I've got 40 million dollars".
>
> Norman _never_ said this. Mark Limbaugh seems to have made it up.

A. This is not the quote I've been using. See my .sig below.
B. I did NOT make it up. I first saw in on espnet.sportszone.com and
then in the entire text of Norman's post-round interview on
www.masters.org

In the words of Dave Barry (syndicated humorist) "I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP"

mark

--
Mark M. Limbaugh
ma...@HealthMagic.com

"I know I let it slip away, I've let others slip away. But
hell, I've got $40 million."
-- Greg Norman, after blowing the 1996 Masters

acss...@acs.eku.edu

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In article <4lnb6a$d...@news.cityscape.co.uk>, s...@trend-analysis.co.uk (Shea Bennett) writes:

> Terry Pierce <pie...@admin.son.uab.edu> wrote:
>
>>BTW, does anyone know how many tournaments Faldo has won? Norman has
>>70 around the world, but I don't know Nick's count. Is it close to that?
>>I know that Norman was making cuts on the PGA tour (deepest tour on
>>planet earth) while Faldo missed a few. Does anyone (Dan King) have those
>>numbers?
>
> I was discussing this the other day with a friend, and Faldo has won
> nowhere near 70 tournaments around the world. Try half that. I don't
> have the numbers here, but I'll post them later.
>
> Faldo has won very little outside of the European Tour (3 Masters and
> a couple of other wins in the US).
>

> Shea Bennett (s...@trend-analysis.co.uk)

But if the stats that were on here yesterday are correct about 30 of
Greg's wins are in Australia. That's alot of wins... also alot of
fluff. Faldo has no wins there, which leads me to beleive he couldn't
have played there more than once or twice... if ever. That leads me to
ask... how many wins would Greg have in his home country if he had to
face Faldo there in all those 30 wins? I think the answer is it would
have often been a 2 dog race and Faldo would have won several of them.

Dudley Cornman
Systems Programmer
Academic Computing Services - EKU
ACSS...@ACS.EKU.EDU

*** When it comes to boats... ***
*** I'd rather have a new boat than a used boat... ***
*** I'd rather have a Baja than a Bayliner... ***
*** I'd rather have a used Bayliner than no boat at all... ***

Jim Manning

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

When Greg Norman was asked by a reporter if he made 40 million dollars
from his sale of Cobra stock, Norman just agreed with the question, and
later, he was finishing a question about his feelings about losing
another major, when he replied "...I have 40 million dollars." The
interview can be found at <www.masters.org>, in the News section.
--
*********************
Jim Manning

Terry Pierce

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

acss...@acs.eku.edu wrote:

> But if the stats that were on here yesterday are correct about 30 of
> Greg's wins are in Australia. That's alot of wins... also alot of
> fluff. Faldo has no wins there, which leads me to beleive he couldn't
> have played there more than once or twice... if ever. That leads me to
> ask... how many wins would Greg have in his home country if he had to
> face Faldo there in all those 30 wins? I think the answer is it would
> have often been a 2 dog race and Faldo would have won several of them.

As I followed up with yesterday...don't count Asia, Austrailia, Africa
or any other "snake infested" tour (which leaves US & Europe, which are
the two most competitive tours on the planet) and they have the same number
of wins, 34, with Faldo winning 5 US events and 29 Euro events, Norman at
16 US wins and 18 Euro wins. You would expect it to be this way, given
the relative time spent on each tour by the men in question, so the point
is that you are right, it's a 2 dog race. FWIT, in my opinion, Norman
winning 30 Australian events is like Norman winning 30 member-guests. Completely
irrelavent. (if Faldo played Australia w/o Norman there, HE'D have 30
Australian wins, so, big deal(see "fluff" comment above)).

Philip Nixon

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

In article <DqDpx...@ansoft.com>, Padmanabhan Premkumar
<pr...@ansoft.com> writes

>In article <4lg5ja$i...@nonews.col.hp.com> rst...@col.hp.com (Richard Stern)
>writes:
>>RE: Norman haters - Please explain
>>
>>I'm not a Norman hater, but I'm not one of his big fans either.
>>Why?
>>
>> up by his comment after Sunday's round, "Sure I lost the
>> Masters, but don't feel bad for me, I've got 40 million dollars".
>
>Norman _never_ said this. Mark Limbaugh seems to have made it up.
>
>Prem

He did you know! or very similar to that,i heard him on "Inside the PGA
tour" along with many others no doubt.

Regards,
Phil Nixon.

JOHN BERRY

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

jeff,i am looking for a progam to calk.the usga handicaping
system...so i can just put in the score's and the slope and course
rating to get a handicap...do you know where i can download something
like that on the internet or msn or aol.....thank you...

Mark Koenig

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

acss...@acs.eku.edu wrote:
: But if the stats that were on here yesterday are correct about 30 of
: Greg's wins are in Australia. That's alot of wins... also alot of
: fluff. Faldo has no wins there, which leads me to beleive he couldn't
: have played there more than once or twice... if ever. That leads me to
: ask... how many wins would Greg have in his home country if he had to
: face Faldo there in all those 30 wins? I think the answer is it would
: have often been a 2 dog race and Faldo would have won several of them.

How wins would have Faldo had in Europe if he had to face Norman every week?

Let's face it, Norman is the superstar from Australia, Faldo is the superstar
from Europe and now they face each other on the PGA Tour about 10-12 times
per year. It makes the PGA Tour even stronger!!

Good Putting!
Mark
--
Mark Koenig, Technical Consulting || These views are my own.
Hewlett Packard Company, Convex Technology Center ||

Kim Kohen

Apr 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/27/96

kat...@cris.com wrote:
> =

> Uh, yes, he did say that.

> =

> Ric
=80=80=80=80
He said it but in a context maybe not properly reported in the =

media.

The media were *implying* that this loss might be the end of his =

golf career or the pits of his life. He was simply saying that =

losing was not the end of the world and that there were other =

positive things in his life, and things he had that others didn't. =

The journalist was the one who brought up the $40m and Norman just =

quipped that was something that many US Masters winners didn't =

have. He was simply trying to look on the bright side of losing.

This debate aside, love him or hate him, his talent is =

indisputable.

James A. Bergmann

Apr 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/28/96

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 07:55:06 GMT, s...@trend-analysis.co.uk (Shea
Bennett) wrote:

>Terry Pierce <pie...@admin.son.uab.edu> wrote:
>
>>BTW, does anyone know how many tournaments Faldo has won? Norman has
>>70 around the world, but I don't know Nick's count. Is it close to that?
>>I know that Norman was making cuts on the PGA tour (deepest tour on
>>planet earth) while Faldo missed a few. Does anyone (Dan King) have those
>>numbers?
>
>I was discussing this the other day with a friend, and Faldo has won
>nowhere near 70 tournaments around the world. Try half that. I don't
>have the numbers here, but I'll post them later.
>
>Faldo has won very little outside of the European Tour (3 Masters and
>a couple of other wins in the US).
>

>Shea Bennett (s...@trend-analysis.co.uk)

Actually Normal has 75 tournament wins, ranked in TOP 5 player last 5
years, leading $$$$ player. I have difficulty understanding why some
peoples must BASH player's when they don't live up too THERE
expectations. I wonder how they live there day to day lives.
jber...@execpc.com
James A.Bergmann

Carol Kavana

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.96042...@umbc10.umbc.edu>,
jmi...@gl.umbc.edu says...

Stern) writes:
>> >RE: Norman haters - Please explain
>> >
>> >I'm not a Norman hater, but I'm not one of his big fans either.
>> >Why?
>> >
>> > up by his comment after Sunday's round, "Sure I lost the
>> > Masters, but don't feel bad for me, I've got 40 million dollars".
>>
>> Norman _never_ said this. Mark Limbaugh seems to have made it up.

:>Afraid not, my friend. Mark Limbaugh is correct.

:>Norman did say this in the press conference following his Sunday round
at
:>Augusta. It was reported by the New York Times, The (Baltimore) Sun and
:>at least one other paper... (as a college sports writer who has a
:>sports-talk radio show and aspires to be covering sports for the rest
of
:>my life, I make it a point to read every newspaper -- re: sports
section
:>-- I can get my hands on)
:>I'm not sure that it was his exact wording, but he basically said
"Don't

:>feel bad for me (or maybe I'll be alright...), I've got 40 million

dollars."
:>I can look it up.

And....?? What is the problem with the truth? Should he have
said 'I may have 40 million dollars, but I'd give it all away
for a green jacket??' or, 'I may have 40 million dollars
but I haven't really earned it?' or 'I know I won't get
any sympathy because I have 40 million dollars, and I think
that's unfair?' Any of those would have beem a lie, but, no
doubt, good lip service. Of course, what he doesn't realise
is that people may respect, or even envy you,
because of your great athletic skill, you may also have
lots of money because of your great athletic skill, but, as
long as you don't say so, that's o.k. But people won't respect
you just because you have lot's of money, they may envy you, but
they won't like you talking about it.

Carol

Padmanabhan Premkumar

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.96042...@umbc10.umbc.edu> mischke john <jmi...@gl.umbc.edu> writes:

>Afraid not, my friend. Mark Limbaugh is correct.
>
>I'm not sure that it was his exact wording, but he basically said "Don't
>feel bad for me (or maybe I'll be alright...), I've got 40 million dollars."

Yes and No. My point was made for the following reasons:

If you put enough words into someones mouth and repeat it often enough you can
get them to say just about anything. That is what the press did with Norman.

In another post, Dan King had a more complete description of what was said.
But even this one extracted just the Q & A that has the words 40 Mil in them.

The quote that Mark L concocted, picked out words from a rather long press
conference and creates an impression of Norman that is simply not right.

In fact this caused another poster to say in effect, <see, this is why I hate
Norman>.

Prem

acss...@acs.eku.edu

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

In article <4m178q$2...@manuel.anu.edu.au>, Car...@coombs.anu.edu.au (Carol Kavana) writes:

> And....?? What is the problem with the truth? Should he have
> said 'I may have 40 million dollars, but I'd give it all away

Something more like... "I'll be back" with no mention of how much money he
has. Even "Shit happens!" would be acceptable. What does how much money
he has have to do with what had just happened?

> you just because you have lot's of money, they may envy you, but
> they won't like you talking about it.

Especially, when it has no bearing about what is taking place at the
moment. Why didn't he say something more like I still have a great wife
and family? Is the $40 Mil more important?

Rick Nelson

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

In article <317c33b9...@news.earthlink.net>, dlav...@earthlink.net
(David Laville) wrote:

Hmm.. I think it might have to do more with a curiosity about the
tempered psyche under great duress. If Norman is capable of shooting
65 under reasonable pressure, why did he shoot higher scores under
more elevated and extreme pressures? This is certainly most of our
problem, whether it is the range compared to the course, or the
average game compared to the club championship, etc. Yet, Norman is
the person we all know has made some of the best golf shots to win
championships in history. I think the curiosity factor of what might
have gone wrong (though most of us would never understand that state
of mind anyway) leads us to ask questions and speculate.

Thanks,
Rick

Steve H. Ridd

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96
>> > up by his comment after Sunday's round, "Sure I lost the
>> > Masters, but don't feel bad for me, I've got 40 million dollars".
>>
>> Norman _never_ said this. Mark Limbaugh seems to have made it up.
>

>Afraid not, my friend. Mark Limbaugh is correct.
>
>Norman did say this in the press conference following his Sunday round at
>
>I'm not sure that it was his exact wording, but he basically said "Don't
>feel bad for me (or maybe I'll be alright...), I've got 40 million dollars."
>
>I can look it up.

Relevant part of Greg's quote from UK magazine "Today's Golfer":

"My world is going to continue. I've got 40 million bucks. My kids are secure
for the rest of their lives. My kid's kids will be secure. That's the most
important thing. I've been able to do something for my family and future
generation.

To set something up that will be able to happen hundreds of years down the

line, that's what makes me feel great."

SteveR

>> Prem

Jeff Rogers

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

On 30 Apr 96 08:29:32 -0500, acss...@acs.eku.edu wrote:
>Especially, when it has no bearing about what is taking place at the
>moment. Why didn't he say something more like I still have a great wife
>and family? Is the $40 Mil more important?

Dudley...
I'm only going to say this ONE MORE TIME and then I'm getting out of
this thread permanently. Greg Norman was talking about how he didn't
have something that he wants, a green jacket. One of the direct
quotes was that "Nick has something that I want." A reporter then
brought up the money-- Greg just admitted that he had a lot. The
reporter asked something like this: "But, Greg, you made around $40
million on the sale of Cobra golf equipment, right?" Greg's comments
was, yeah... it's true...

Clearly, when you read the actual interview instead of some out-of-
context-Sports-Illustrated-they-said-it hack, Greg was actually making
this point:

Hey, my life's not too bad. I've got a lot of things (including a lot
of money) that other people don't have. Still, Nick's got something
that I want. I want a green jacket.

Now you guys have blown it into "I don't care if I lost because I've
got lots of cash."

That's it. I'm outta here.

Fins Up!
Jeff Rogers
http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrogers/

"I don't have a solution, but I certainly
admire the problem." -- Ashley Brilliant

Mark M. Limbaugh

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

acss...@acs.eku.edu wrote:

> In article <4m178q$2...@manuel.anu.edu.au>, Car...@coombs.anu.edu.au (Carol Kavana) writes:
>
> > And....?? What is the problem with the truth? Should he have
> > said 'I may have 40 million dollars, but I'd give it all away
>
> Something more like... "I'll be back" with no mention of how much money he
> has. Even "Shit happens!" would be acceptable. What does how much money
> he has have to do with what had just happened?[..]
> Especially, when it has no bearing about what is taking place at the
> moment. Why didn't he say something more like I still have a great wife
> and family? Is the $40 Mil more important?

"I'll be back", "Shit happens", "Got a great wife and family".
He said all of those things (more or less). But I would never have
put "I've got a great wife and family" in my .sig.

If you read the entire interview (if it's even available anymore) it
is obvious that Norman was speaking very toungue-in-cheek. Someone
ELSE first brought up the money. Greg even questioned the actual
number, but made a joke about it anyway.

The only thing that *I* wish he had said was "I choked. Big time."
But then what would we have argued about on rsg?