Wal-Mart kills off another

Tony Rice

Aug 12, 2004, 8:03:25 AM8/12/04
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/185922_toysrus12.html

ToysRUs did much of this to themselves getting beaten in the pricing game
not only by WalMart but pretty much everybody else on most items. Still,
it's a sad that the big box retailers are continuing to shove out not only
mom and pop retailers but big chain speciality retailers as well.

I recently bought my kid a tricycle and ToysRUs had the best selection by
far. WalMart had nothing but cheep plastic crap and Target didn't even
carry them. We even looked at some of the local bike shops but I wasn't
too keep on paying $200+ for a german built trike that's nicer than what I
drive to work.

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 12, 2004, 8:06:05 AM8/12/04
[Tony Rice (ISKZNO...@spammotel.com)]
[Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:03:25 -0500]

:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/185922_toysrus12.html

Toys R Us : mom/pop toy stores :: Wal-Mart : Toys R Us

Excuse me while I go find an onion.

--
Bryan S. Slick, usenet at slick-family dot net

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Message has been deleted

winnard

Aug 12, 2004, 9:38:41 AM8/12/04

"Tony Rice" <ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Bryan S. Slick <use...@slick-family.not> wrote in

> > Toys R Us : mom/pop toy stores :: Wal-Mart : Toys R Us
> >
> > Excuse me while I go find an onion.
>
> Very true, but the bigger issue here is that Wal-Mart is getting scary and
> scary. The big question is will they overexpand to the breaking point
> before or after they start raising their prices once they've clobbered all
> the competition.

I reckon kids are choosing video games over toys as being a major factor
also.

winnard

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 9:57:48 AM8/12/04

Obviously the market doesn't believe that Wal Mart only sells crappy stuff
or else Toys R Us would be in good shape.

Jon

alic...@yahoo.com

Aug 12, 2004, 10:01:03 AM8/12/04

Bryan S. Slick wrote:

> [Tony Rice (ISKZNO...@spammotel.com)]
> [Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:03:25 -0500]

> :http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/185922_toysrus12.html
> :
> :ToysRUs did much of this to themselves getting beaten in the pricing
game
> :not only by WalMart but pretty much everybody else on most items.
Still,
> :it's a sad that the big box retailers are continuing to shove out
not only
> :mom and pop retailers but big chain speciality retailers as well.
> :
> :I recently bought my kid a tricycle and ToysRUs had the best
selection by
> :far. WalMart had nothing but cheep plastic crap and Target didn't
even
> :carry them. We even looked at some of the local bike shops but I
wasn't
> :too keep on paying $200+ for a german built trike that's nicer than
what I
> :drive to work.

> Toys R Us : mom/pop toy stores :: Wal-Mart : Toys R Us

How to keep mom/pop stores in business?

Lower city taxes. Wal-Mart can build their stores on a vacant lot
in a low-tax area. Established stores are stuck.

Ease regulation. It is much easier and cheaper for Wal-Mart to meet
structural requirements for disabled persons in a new store or a store
which is basically a big box. It is extremely expensive for a store
on Main Street to to the same.

Remove parking meters.

Eliminate the minimum wage.

The simple fact is that the number 1 reason that offices and retail
space is vacant in cities while new structures continue to be built
outside the city is that it is far cheaper to build a new building
than to rehab an existing structure to meet all the BS building
requirements.

> Excuse me while I go find an onion.

Schtick!

-Tom Enright

"The Enemy is someone who is willing to die in order to kill you. And
while it is true that the Enemy always hates us for a reason -- it is
his reason, and not ours."
-Lee Harris, "Civilization and its Enemies"

Bill Deems

Aug 12, 2004, 10:05:09 AM8/12/04
>Ease regulation. It is much easier and cheaper for Wal-Mart to meet
>structural requirements for disabled persons in a new store or a store
>which is basically a big box. It is extremely expensive for a store
>on Main Street to to the same.

Why do you hate the disabled?

>Remove parking meters.

Why do you hate meter maids?

>Eliminate the minimum wage.

Why do you hate the working poor?

StephenJ

Aug 12, 2004, 10:17:46 AM8/12/04
> ToysRUs did much of this to themselves getting beaten in the pricing game
> not only by WalMart but pretty much everybody else on most items. Still,
> it's a sad that the big box retailers are continuing to shove out not only
> mom and pop retailers but big chain speciality retailers as well.

Why? It means shoppers find more value at WalMart and Target. Yeah, as a
child of the 70s i can feel a little nostalgia for a company that was the
holy mecca of toys back then, but objectively, it's a good thing.

--
Rhythms are relations between what you believe
and what you believed before.

- DF Wallace

Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist

Aug 12, 2004, 10:24:26 AM8/12/04

"The market" doesn't believe anything. And if you dispute his point, you
ain't never been bicycle shopping. I bought my stepson's bike at TRU for
the same reason.

--
Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist
Remove the woopitywoo, you moron.

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 10:23:29 AM8/12/04
Tony Rice wrote:
> Bryan S. Slick <use...@slick-family.not> wrote in
>
>> Toys R Us : mom/pop toy stores :: Wal-Mart : Toys R Us
>>
>> Excuse me while I go find an onion.
>
> Very true, but the bigger issue here is that Wal-Mart is getting
> scary and scary. The big question is will they overexpand to the
> breaking point before or after they start raising their prices once
> they've clobbered all the competition.

Wal-Mart would not be able to do this if people did not choose to shop
there. Peopel were given a choice and they evidently made it.

--
**Geri**
"Remember, never take no cutoffs and hurry along as fast as you can."

Message has been deleted

xyzzy

Aug 12, 2004, 10:43:11 AM8/12/04
Tony Rice wrote:

> "Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in

>>Wal-Mart would not be able to do this if people did not choose to shop
>>there. Peopel were given a choice and they evidently made it.
>

> Because most people dont understand that buying something for $20 that you
> have to replace in 6 months is not as good of a buy as paying $30 for
> something that will last several years.
>
> Far fewer people have a clue about what Wal-Mart does to it's suppliers.
> An 800-lb gorilla constantly demanding bigger and bigger discounts until
> they run the supplier into the ground and then they move on to the next
> victim.
>
> Do a Google search on "WalMart Vlasic"

You are probably referring to this:

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

The author was interviewed in NPR a few months ago. It really was an
intersting story.

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 10:59:42 AM8/12/04

Tony Rice <ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Bryan S. Slick <use...@slick-family.not> wrote in
>
> > Toys R Us : mom/pop toy stores :: Wal-Mart : Toys R Us
> >
> > Excuse me while I go find an onion.
>
> Very true, but the bigger issue here is that Wal-Mart is getting scary and
> scary. The big question is will they overexpand to the breaking point
> before or after they start raising their prices once they've clobbered all
> the competition.

I think it depends on the market in which they are introduced. I have mixed
feelings about Walmart. I was in favor of the store opening on the north
side of Fort Collins, as there was a need for that side of the city to have
one close by. (Sorry, people....there are some people that *have* to shop
at Walmart for groceries.... they can't all afford Wild Oats Market.) There
was some concern by the shop owners in "Old Town," but after 3 years of the
Walmart being in business, there has been little harm done to their
specialty shops. The people who would normally shop at these little stores
are *still* shopping there...... they have the money and these stores have a
"niche."

However, Walmart has now decided to infiltrate the small town of Windsor.
(Population 13,000) This is where the line should be drawn..... Windsor has
two chain grocery stores that are struggling because what town of 13,000
needs two? As well as a newly opened drug store, hardware store, and a few
mom and pop stores. That's it. A Walmart in a town of that size would
obliterate any other store, no question. When Walmart becomes the bully and
ignores town size and need, then it must be stopped.

It's a struggle for me, someone who frequently shops at "Mom and Pop"
stores.... for nostalgic reasons as well as principle. OTOH, I am a single
parent... and practicality comes into play. So, at times, I am grateful to
save money on common items. I guess I just try to spread it around a little
bit.... (ODL)

Peach

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 10:54:11 AM8/12/04

I would think that the majority of the people who shop at Wal-Mart probably
don't really care. They are going for the least expensive prices. Those
are the people you have to convince. I don't shop at Squall-Mart (except to
buy cheap Christmas lights for outdoors each year) because the lines are too
long, the clientele in the one closest to me leave the place in a constant
mess and I can usually get what I want with less aggravation, but not
because I have any philosophical thing against it. (Actually, I prefer to do
my shopping online. The shipping costs are worth the avoidance of annoying
crowds.)

Wal-Mart serves a certain market and it appears that market just keeps
breeding and growing.

marty mcmahone

Aug 12, 2004, 10:59:06 AM8/12/04

> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/185922_toysrus12.html

I thought this part was interesting:
The $11 billion company, which rose to become the nation's largest toy
retailer by developing a successful formula that pushed its rivals out of
business,

"It's the ultimate corporate capitulation," Burt Flickinger III, a retail
consultant said of the Toys "R" Us announcement. "They killed off all their
competition, like Child World and Kiddie City, and declared victory
worldwide. But they never saw Wal-Mart catching up."

Kinda hard to complain that someone else just played your game better than
you.

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 11:03:48 AM8/12/04

There is a big hoop-de-doo about the arrival of the Super Wal-Marts out
here. Some cities are creating laws so they cannot build within the city
limits. A lot of people are citing the "mom and pop stores will die" thing
regarding the grocery stores. I am not convinced. I came from an area
where there were several Super-Targets (with nifty grocery shopping), Sams
Clubs, Super K-Marts and a Super Wal-Mart and I don't believe I heard of
even one grocery store going under due to their existence. They also had
Hy-Vees, which was a nice employee-owned grocery chain (no union problems
with them that I was aware of) that were way better than any grocery stores
that I have seen out here, and they were building new stores. There were
also Hen House stores, which were more upscale. There was a certain share
of the market for all of the stores. So, I am not convinced of this
argument, at least in larger cities.

RJ

Aug 12, 2004, 11:07:06 AM8/12/04
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:14:53 -0500, Tony Rice
<ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote:

>Bryan S. Slick <use...@slick-family.not> wrote in
>

>> Toys R Us : mom/pop toy stores :: Wal-Mart : Toys R Us
>>
>> Excuse me while I go find an onion.
>

>Very true, but the bigger issue here is that Wal-Mart is getting scary and
>scary. The big question is will they overexpand to the breaking point
>before or after they start raising their prices once they've clobbered all
>the competition.

Then they will be replaced by an upstart, like they were when Sam was
alive.

RJ

Andrew Smith

Aug 12, 2004, 11:13:13 AM8/12/04
"Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in message

> There is a big hoop-de-doo about the arrival of the Super Wal-Marts out
> here. Some cities are creating laws so they cannot build within the city
> limits.

These will be the same cities fighting to annex the area around the Super
Wal-Mart when that area is developed and their downtown begins to dwindle.

a.

jaybyrd

Aug 12, 2004, 11:18:29 AM8/12/04

Tony Rice wrote:

> I recently bought my kid a tricycle

I always presumed you were too old to have a kid this young. Good for
you.

PP PP
PP PP PP tt tt
PP PP PP tt tt
PP PP tttttt ttttttt
PP PP ii ttt ttt
PP ii ii it tt tt tt tt
PP iii iii ttt tt

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 11:35:09 AM8/12/04

Cornhuskeress <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in message

Exactly.... like I said, I am in favor of development of *any* kind when
there is an obvious need for it.... a lot of factors weigh in (land use,
quality of life, etc.) But when a smaller city (like the one I mentioned)
starts over-developing....usually out of blind greed....that's when the red
flags go up.

Peach

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 11:36:08 AM8/12/04

jaybyrd <jbird@pitt_spamcheck_.edu> wrote in message

> Tony Rice wrote:
>

> > I recently bought my kid a tricycle
>
> I always presumed you were too old to have a kid this young. Good for
> you.

Actually, his kid is 12....he just has short legs. ;-)

Peach

jaybyrd

Aug 12, 2004, 11:30:39 AM8/12/04

WiNK wrote:

> Exactly.... like I said, I am in favor of development of *any* kind when
> there is an obvious need for it.... a lot of factors weigh in (land use,
> quality of life, etc.) But when a smaller city (like the one I mentioned)
> starts over-developing....usually out of blind greed....that's when the red
> flags go up.
>
> Peach

Regulating development is against the American Way.

RJ

Aug 12, 2004, 11:30:15 AM8/12/04
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:29:40 -0500, Tony Rice
<ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote:

>"Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in
>

>> Wal-Mart would not be able to do this if people did not choose to shop
>> there. Peopel were given a choice and they evidently made it.
>

>Because most people dont understand that buying something for $20 that you
>have to replace in 6 months is not as good of a buy as paying $30 for
>something that will last several years.

That's not new. Ask anybody who sells, say, refrigerators how hard it
is to sell a higher quality unit as opposed to the one with the lowest
ticket price. Even if it returns the investment in considerably
longer life or electricity savings.

>Far fewer people have a clue about what Wal-Mart does to it's suppliers.
>An 800-lb gorilla constantly demanding bigger and bigger discounts until
>they run the supplier into the ground and then they move on to the next
>victim.

You don't have to be a Walmart supplier.

>Do a Google search on "WalMart Vlasic"

The way I heard it Vlasic was already in trouble, having been looted
by their prior owners.

RJ

Eggman

Aug 12, 2004, 11:36:05 AM8/12/04
jaybyrd <jbird@pitt_spamcheck_.edu> is not your name. I know what you're
up to just the same.

> WiNK wrote:
>

>> Exactly.... like I said, I am in favor of development of *any* kind
>> when there is an obvious need for it.... a lot of factors weigh in
>> (land use, quality of life, etc.) But when a smaller city (like the
>> one I mentioned) starts over-developing....usually out of blind
>> greed....that's when the red flags go up.
>>
>> Peach
>>

> Regulating development is against the American Way.

There are places (I'm thinking about northern Virginia and near-northern
Virginia) that are figuring out the American Way may not be all it's cracked
up to be.

Eggman

xyzzy

Aug 12, 2004, 11:37:57 AM8/12/04
WiNK wrote:

are you SURE you're a Republifsck?

Warning: years ago I too was a Republifsck. Growing up in the
overdeveloping down of Cary NC led to my acquring views like those you
articulate above on development, which started me down the path to
liberalism.... local development controls are the gateway drug.... come
on over to our side, Peach...

xyzzy

Aug 12, 2004, 11:39:55 AM8/12/04
marty mcmahone wrote:

> Kinda hard to complain that someone else just played your game better than
> you.

I hate Wal-Mart, but IAWTP. (It's like watching the Hokies lose the
Sugar Bowel to FSU because they blocked or ran back for TDs all of our
punts)

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 11:56:03 AM8/12/04

> WiNK wrote:
>

> > Exactly.... like I said, I am in favor of development of *any* kind when
> > there is an obvious need for it.... a lot of factors weigh in (land use,
> > quality of life, etc.) But when a smaller city (like the one I
mentioned)
> > starts over-developing....usually out of blind greed....that's when the
red
> > flags go up.
> >
> > Peach
> >

> Regulating development is against the American Way.

Okay, so I'm not 100% Republican. heh

Peach

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 11:57:50 AM8/12/04

xyzzy <inv...@addr.net> wrote in message

Uh, I think that's what it said when I voted in the primaries on Tuesday.

> Warning: years ago I too was a Republifsck. Growing up in the
> overdeveloping down of Cary NC led to my acquring views like those you
> articulate above on development, which started me down the path to
> liberalism.... local development controls are the gateway drug.... come
> on over to our side, Peach...

Oh NOOOOOOOOOO!!1111111!!!!!!!1 I'm becoming a
donkeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...........

Peach

Jim Bush

Aug 12, 2004, 11:59:58 AM8/12/04
I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked RJ
<re_jo...@hotmail.com>, but he couldn't help me either:

Exactly. The only question is how long until the tide turns.

When Sam was alive, your average Wal-Mart store was much better kept
(clean/organized/stocked/staffed) than most of the ones I visit these
days. The local Wal-Marts remind me of the dumpy KMarts of the early
80s. And those KMarts were ripe for the picking.

(I also have some theories about how the depopulating of rural America
in the last generation helped build Wal-Mart. I suspect their
suburb-raised children will shop differently, but we'll have to wait
20 years to see how that plays out.)

Jim B.

Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's
game because they always turn out to be---or to be
indistinguishable from---self-righteous sixteen-year
-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

--Neal Stephenson "Cryptonomicon"

Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist

Aug 12, 2004, 12:01:50 PM8/12/04
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:37:57 -0400, xyzzy wrote:

> are you SURE you're a Republifsck?
>
> Warning: years ago I too was a Republifsck. Growing up in the
> overdeveloping down of Cary NC led to my acquring views like those you
> articulate above on development, which started me down the path to
> liberalism.... local development controls are the gateway drug.... come
> on over to our side, Peach...

Local development controls are what make the republifsck suburban
lifestyle ubiquitous. I find your linkage of them to only one party
somewhat disturbing.

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 12:15:31 PM8/12/04

Jim Bush <jim...@NOhotmailSPAMPLEASE.com> wrote in message

> I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked RJ
> <re_jo...@hotmail.com>, but he couldn't help me either:
>
> >On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:14:53 -0500, Tony Rice
> ><ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Bryan S. Slick <use...@slick-family.not> wrote in

> >>Very true, but the bigger issue here is that Wal-Mart is getting scary
and
> >>scary. The big question is will they overexpand to the breaking point
> >>before or after they start raising their prices once they've clobbered
all
> >>the competition.
> >
> >Then they will be replaced by an upstart, like they were when Sam was
> >alive.
> >

> Exactly. The only question is how long until the tide turns.
>
> When Sam was alive, your average Wal-Mart store was much better kept
> (clean/organized/stocked/staffed) than most of the ones I visit these
> days. The local Wal-Marts remind me of the dumpy KMarts of the early
> 80s. And those KMarts were ripe for the picking.

It depends on the location of the Walmart store I'm finding..... a friend of
mine says the Walmart in his state is just as you described....dumpy. Then
he visited our Walmart and it was like night and day. The thing about
putting a Walmart into a primarily yuppy/snooty city is.....they seem to be
a lot more careful as to how it's kept. (Not to say your city is not
snooty, if that offends you.) heh ;-)

Peach

Message has been deleted

Tony Rice

Aug 12, 2004, 12:12:58 PM8/12/04
jaybyrd <jbird@pitt_spamcheck_.edu> wrote in news:cfg1o4$1tk$3
@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu:

> Tony Rice wrote:
>

>> I recently bought my kid a tricycle
>
> I always presumed you were too old to have a kid this young. Good for
> you.

He's 3, and he insisted on buying the loudest bell they had to go on it.
And then the grandparents brought a horn that could raise the dead.

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 12, 2004, 12:13:04 PM8/12/04
[WiNK (elvis...@yahoo.com)]
[Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:15:31 -0600]

:> When Sam was alive, your average Wal-Mart store was much better kept

:> (clean/organized/stocked/staffed) than most of the ones I visit these
:> days. The local Wal-Marts remind me of the dumpy KMarts of the early
:> 80s. And those KMarts were ripe for the picking.
:
:It depends on the location of the Walmart store I'm finding..... a friend of
:mine says the Walmart in his state is just as you described....dumpy. Then
:he visited our Walmart and it was like night and day. The thing about
:putting a Walmart into a primarily yuppy/snooty city is.....they seem to be
:a lot more careful as to how it's kept. (Not to say your city is not
:snooty, if that offends you.) heh ;-)

I wouldn't say that Colorado Springs is a snooty area, but everything
there was cleaner than its counterpart in most other places I've been
before or since. The state is just clean. Odd, I suppose.

Even Mile High was clean, for a football stadium fulla drunks.

--
Bryan S. Slick, usenet at slick-family dot net

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

alic...@yahoo.com

Aug 12, 2004, 12:54:26 PM8/12/04
Bill Deems:

> >Ease regulation. It is much easier and cheaper for Wal-Mart to meet
> >structural requirements for disabled persons in a new store or a
store
> >which is basically a big box. It is extremely expensive for a store
> >on Main Street to to the same.

> Why do you hate the disabled?

> >Remove parking meters.

> Why do you hate meter maids?
>
> >Eliminate the minimum wage.

> Why do you hate the working poor?

I'm a hatah. The little people piss me off.

-Tom Enright

"One must have a heart of stone to read the death of little
Nell without laughing."
-Oscar Wilde

Bill Deems

Aug 12, 2004, 12:58:05 PM8/12/04
>I'm a hatah. The little people piss me off.
>
>-Tom Enright

That's because yer a Republirsfckneoconbushlickerloon.

Bush is a Liar and a Murderer

Aug 12, 2004, 12:59:25 PM8/12/04
>I would think that the majority of the people who shop at Wal-Mart probably
>don't really care. They are going for the least expensive prices.

They are unaware that they are subsidizing Wal-Mart employees with free health
care (Medicare, Medicaid) and other public assistance (food stamps,
unemployment, etc.) to the tune of $86M annually in CA.

What's galling is that Wal-Mart encourages their employees (even helping them
fill out forms) to seek public assistance because they refuse to pay a living
wage.

I vow never to shop at Wal-Mart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
American Casualties in Iraq
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since May 1, 2003: 781
Since war began:920
Since Capture of Saddam: 480
Total Wounded: 5900

Cost of War: $127 Billion

Bush's disapproval rating: 75%

Bill Deems

Aug 12, 2004, 1:01:15 PM8/12/04
>I vow never to shop at Wal-Mart.

Good, it'll be less crowded.

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 1:40:09 PM8/12/04
Tony Rice wrote:
> "Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in
>
>> Wal-Mart would not be able to do this if people did not choose to
>> shop there. Peopel were given a choice and they evidently made it.
>
> Because most people dont understand that buying something for $20
> that you have to replace in 6 months is not as good of a buy as
> paying $30 for something that will last several years.

So consumers are stupid???

> Far fewer people have a clue about what Wal-Mart does to it's
> suppliers. An 800-lb gorilla constantly demanding bigger and bigger
> discounts until they run the supplier into the ground and then they
> move on to the next victim.

What are they supposed to do?

Jon

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 1:45:03 PM8/12/04
Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:57:48 -0500, Jon Enslin wrote:
>
>> Tony Rice wrote:
>>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/185922_toysrus12.html
>>>
>>> ToysRUs did much of this to themselves getting beaten in the pricing
>>> game not only by WalMart but pretty much everybody else on most
>>> items. Still, it's a sad that the big box retailers are continuing
>>> to shove out not only mom and pop retailers but big chain speciality
>>> retailers as well.
>>>
>>> I recently bought my kid a tricycle and ToysRUs had the best
>>> selection by far. WalMart had nothing but cheep plastic crap and
>>> Target didn't even carry them. We even looked at some of the local
>>> bike shops but I wasn't too keep on paying $200+ for a german built
>>> trike that's nicer than what I drive to work.
>>
>> Obviously the market doesn't believe that Wal Mart only sells crappy
>> stuff or else Toys R Us would be in good shape.
>
> "The market" doesn't believe anything. And if you dispute his point,
> you ain't never been bicycle shopping. I bought my stepson's bike at
> TRU for the same reason.

Bikes and trikes aren't what is killing TRU. My guess is that there are
100s of items that are exactly the same at both stores that are cheaper at
Wal-Mart because of their size and efficiency. TRU didn't have the
foresight that Wal-Mart had. You can't punish Wal-Mart for that.

Jon

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 1:49:08 PM8/12/04
WiNK wrote:

> However, Walmart has now decided to infiltrate the small town of
> Windsor. (Population 13,000) This is where the line should be
> drawn..... Windsor has two chain grocery stores that are struggling
> because what town of 13,000 needs two? As well as a newly opened
> drug store, hardware store, and a few mom and pop stores. That's it.
> A Walmart in a town of that size would obliterate any other store, no
> question. When Walmart becomes the bully and ignores town size and
> need, then it must be stopped.

Fort Atkinson, a town of about 11,000 where I live, voted to limit the size
of "big box" retailers. This kept Wal-Mart out. I supported this effort
because I like the Mom & Pops and the local groceries. If the majority of
citizens disagreed with me and big box was allowed, I would have no right to
complain however.

Wal-Mart has been the "bully" for years. They just saw an opportunity and
took advantage. I don't think you can blame them for that.

Jon

xyzzy

Aug 12, 2004, 1:50:59 PM8/12/04
Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:37:57 -0400, xyzzy wrote:
>

>>are you SURE you're a Republifsck?
>>
>>Warning: years ago I too was a Republifsck. Growing up in the
>>overdeveloping down of Cary NC led to my acquring views like those you
>>articulate above on development, which started me down the path to
>>liberalism.... local development controls are the gateway drug.... come
>>on over to our side, Peach...
>

> Local development controls are what make the republifsck suburban
> lifestyle ubiquitous. I find your linkage of them to only one party
> somewhat disturbing.

Whatever you say. And I agree that at the local level it gets more
murky because local developers buy politicians of both parties. Hell in
my county all the really nasty fights over development policy have been
Democratic primaries for county commissioner. The fact that only one
Republican has been elected a county commissioner here since
reconstruction may have something to do with that. To steal a trite
line from Howard Dean, we really do a Republican and a Democratic wing
of the Democratic party here.

But I digress. Someone who says:

"I am in favor of development of *any* kind when
there is an obvious need for it.... a lot of factors weigh in (land use,
quality of life, etc.) But when a smaller city (like the one I mentioned)
starts over-developing....usually out of blind greed....that's when the red
flags go up."

Ain't a true Republifsck. Key ways to tell

1. Using "blind greed" in a negative context. WHY DUZ PE4CH H8
CAP1TAL1SM??9?99??
2. Talking about "quality of life" (while not talking about fetuses)
3. Contemplating controlling what G0D F34R1N6 AMURIKANS CAN D0 W1TH
TH3IR OWN L4ND!!!
4. and d00d, RED FL4GG6GSSSSS!!!!!! WH4T M0R3 DO U NEED??99??99??9??

Trevor Zion Bauknight

Aug 12, 2004, 1:50:29 PM8/12/04
In article <10hnaro...@corp.supernews.com>, Jon Enslin <what...@whereever.net> wrote:
> Tony Rice wrote:

>> "Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in
>>
>>> Wal-Mart would not be able to do this if people did not choose to
>>> shop there. Peopel were given a choice and they evidently made it.
>>
>> Because most people dont understand that buying something for $20
>> that you have to replace in 6 months is not as good of a buy as
>> paying $30 for something that will last several years.
>
> So consumers are stupid???

Yes.

--
Trev

"Every Democratic Senator is to the right of Kerry..including
Kucinich." - C. Beauchamp.

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 1:50:10 PM8/12/04
Cornhuskeress wrote:
> WiNK wrote:
>> Tony Rice <ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote in message
>>> Bryan S. Slick <use...@slick-family.not> wrote in

>>> Very true, but the bigger issue here is that Wal-Mart is getting
>>> scary and scary. The big question is will they overexpand to the
>>> breaking point before or after they start raising their prices once
>>> they've clobbered all the competition.
>>
>> I think it depends on the market in which they are introduced. I
>> have mixed feelings about Walmart. I was in favor of the store
>> opening on the north side of Fort Collins, as there was a need for
>> that side of the city to have one close by. (Sorry, people....there
>> are some people that *have* to shop at Walmart for groceries.... they
>> can't all afford Wild Oats Market.) There was some concern by the
>> shop owners in "Old Town," but after 3 years of the Walmart being in
>> business, there has been little harm done to their specialty shops.
>> The people who would normally shop at these little stores are *still*
>> shopping there...... they have the money and these stores have a
>> "niche."
>>
>> However, Walmart has now decided to infiltrate the small town of
>> Windsor. (Population 13,000) This is where the line should be
>> drawn..... Windsor has two chain grocery stores that are struggling
>> because what town of 13,000 needs two? As well as a newly opened
>> drug store, hardware store, and a few mom and pop stores. That's it.
>> A Walmart in a town of that size would obliterate any other store, no
>> question. When Walmart becomes the bully and ignores town size and
>> need, then it must be stopped.
>>
>> It's a struggle for me, someone who frequently shops at "Mom and Pop"
>> stores.... for nostalgic reasons as well as principle. OTOH, I am a
>> single parent... and practicality comes into play. So, at times, I am
>> grateful to save money on common items. I guess I just try to spread
>> it around a little bit.... (ODL)
>>
>> Peach
>
> There is a big hoop-de-doo about the arrival of the Super Wal-Marts
> out here. Some cities are creating laws so they cannot build within
> the city limits. A lot of people are citing the "mom and pop stores
> will die" thing regarding the grocery stores. I am not convinced. I
> came from an area where there were several Super-Targets (with nifty
> grocery shopping), Sams Clubs, Super K-Marts and a Super Wal-Mart
> and I don't believe I heard of even one grocery store going under due
> to their existence.

Terre Haute, IN lost two Krogers when the Super K-Mart and Super Wal-Mart
opened there in the early 90s. It most certainly does happen.

Jon

xyzzy

Aug 12, 2004, 1:52:41 PM8/12/04
Tony Rice wrote:

> Jim Bush <jim...@NOhotmailSPAMPLEASE.com> wrote in

>>When Sam was alive, your average Wal-Mart store was much better kept
>>(clean/organized/stocked/staffed) than most of the ones I visit these
>>days. The local Wal-Marts remind me of the dumpy KMarts of the early
>>80s. And those KMarts were ripe for the picking.
>

> It's amazing how different various WalMarts are. The one closest to my
> house used to be a pit and this was within 6 months of it's grand opening
> while the next one was clean and well organized.

And the scary part is that both of those Wal-Marts you refer to are
what, 5 miles from your house?

xyzzy

Aug 12, 2004, 1:53:25 PM8/12/04
Tony Rice wrote:

Why do you hate your neighbors?

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 1:51:30 PM8/12/04
RJ wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:14:53 -0500, Tony Rice
> <ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote:
>
>> Bryan S. Slick <use...@slick-family.not> wrote in
>>
>>> Toys R Us : mom/pop toy stores :: Wal-Mart : Toys R Us
>>>
>>> Excuse me while I go find an onion.
>>
>> Very true, but the bigger issue here is that Wal-Mart is getting
>> scary and scary. The big question is will they overexpand to the
>> breaking point before or after they start raising their prices once
>> they've clobbered all the competition.
>
> Then they will be replaced by an upstart, like they were when Sam was
> alive.

Their biggest competition is the dollar stores. I would rather have a Wal
Mart.

Jon

Eggman

Aug 12, 2004, 1:53:29 PM8/12/04
"Jon Enslin" <what...@whereever.net> is not your name. I know what you're
up to just the same.

> Tony Rice wrote:

>> "Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in
>>
>>> Wal-Mart would not be able to do this if people did not choose to
>>> shop there. Peopel were given a choice and they evidently made it.
>>
>> Because most people dont understand that buying something for $20
>> that you have to replace in 6 months is not as good of a buy as
>> paying $30 for something that will last several years.
>
> So consumers are stupid???

Define "stupid".

By most definitions I can come up with, the answer to your question would be
"yes".

Eggman

wicker

Aug 12, 2004, 1:54:59 PM8/12/04

>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/185922_toysrus12.html
>
>ToysRUs did much of this to themselves getting beaten in the pricing game
>not only by WalMart but pretty much everybody else on most items. Still,
>it's a sad that the big box retailers are continuing to shove out not only
>mom and pop retailers but big chain speciality retailers as well.

Back in Feb, at the American International Toy Fair, seeing Wal-Mart's
2003 price attack on toys destroy chains like FAO Schwarz and Zany
Brainy, bankrupt KB Toys, and significantly hurt even the #2
Toys-R-Us, there was a lot of buzz that big companies like Hasbro, as
well as the hundred of independant toy-makers were going to fight back
& try to breed new life into Toys-R-Us, by giving them exclusives to
certain products, price breaks, and other special deal to help combat
Wal-Mart... guess it didn't work.

http://www.freep.com/money/business/toys17_20040217.htm

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 1:54:31 PM8/12/04

Luke, beware of the Dark Side of the Force ...

Jim Bush

Aug 12, 2004, 2:29:00 PM8/12/04
I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked "WiNK"
<elvis...@yahoo.com>, but he couldn't help me either:

I'd like to agree, but I've been in too many Wal-Marts to draw that
conclusion. One of the cleanest Wal-Marts I've ever seen was in a
smallish city in a poor county, while a couple of the dumpiest ones
are in suburbs with amazingly good household income demographics and
more snooty people than you can count.

About the only correlation I've seen is they don't try to cram as much
stuff per square foot in the newer stores, so they don't seem as bad.
But after a year or two, they start putting bins and pallets of
merchandise in the aisles, and it just goes downhill from there.

(For you Kansas types, the clean store was in Ottawa, while one of the
the dumpiest ones is at 119th and Metcalf in Overland Park. The other
one is in Olathe, which probably proves her point.......)

Jim B.

Jim Bush

Aug 12, 2004, 2:35:22 PM8/12/04
I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked wicker
<wic...@sut.hut>, but he couldn't help me either:

Key quote at the end of that article:

"Silver predicts the 2004 holiday selling season won't be a repeat of
2003, when Wal-Mart cut prices deeper and earlier than ever before.

"The general consensus is that Wal-Mart is not going to price-cut like
they did last year," he said. "First, they severely hurt themselves.
They left $100 million on the table of bottom-line money. If you're a
shareholder of Wal-Mart and they lost $100 million in profits, I
wouldn't be a happy investor."

Also, Silver said, Wal-Mart is sensing the toy world is fighting back.
"At the end of the day, you don't really want everyone in the industry
hating you," he said."

The upcoming holiday season will tell the tale.

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 2:34:03 PM8/12/04
When I lived in OP and Lenexa, IIRC, there was a SuperTarget out around
there - maybe it was further down Metcalf, and also one in Olathe near the
Great Mall of the Great Plains (this would have been six years ago). Those
were always pretty well kept. The only Wal-Mart I can think of on Metcalf
in OP was kept pretty well, too. Things must have gone downhill.

Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist

Aug 12, 2004, 2:40:57 PM8/12/04
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:50:59 -0400, xyzzy wrote:

>> Local development controls are what make the republifsck suburban
>> lifestyle ubiquitous. I find your linkage of them to only one party
>> somewhat disturbing.
>>

> Whatever you say.

The fact that you can't build an apartment on your suburban lot is due to
Republicans, not Democrats.

Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist

Aug 12, 2004, 2:43:49 PM8/12/04

But you can, in fact, bemoan the lack of choice which results. Wal-Mart
doesn't stock anything _but_ cheap shit whenever that's possible.

As Tony pointed out, the options for bikes are now: $200 and up for a
"kids bike" at a bike shop, or cheap plastic shit at Wal-Mart. Toys-R-Us
used to occupy the middle - the bike I bought my stepson was about $80,
and medium-quality. I can't believe anybody's dumb enough to pay $200 for
one of those bike shop kids' bikes even though the quality is much better,
because the kid will grow out of it before you know it.

jaybyrd

Aug 12, 2004, 2:56:18 PM8/12/04

Jim Bush wrote:

> I'd like to agree, but I've been in too many Wal-Marts to draw that
> conclusion. One of the cleanest Wal-Marts I've ever seen was in a
> smallish city in a poor county, while a couple of the dumpiest ones
> are in suburbs with amazingly good household income demographics and
> more snooty people than you can count.
>
> About the only correlation I've seen is they don't try to cram as much
> stuff per square foot in the newer stores, so they don't seem as bad.
> But after a year or two, they start putting bins and pallets of
> merchandise in the aisles, and it just goes downhill from there.

Cramming and aisle width is a major satisfier with me. That's why my
favorite wal mart is target. It's pretty much the same merchandise.
Also the check out lines at target are handled better.

PP PP
PP PP PP tt tt
PP PP PP tt tt
PP PP tttttt ttttttt
PP PP ii ttt ttt
PP ii ii it tt tt tt tt
PP iii iii ttt tt

xyzzy

Aug 12, 2004, 2:58:48 PM8/12/04
Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:50:59 -0400, xyzzy wrote:
>

>>>Local development controls are what make the republifsck suburban
>>>lifestyle ubiquitous. I find your linkage of them to only one party
>>>somewhat disturbing.
>>>

>>Whatever you say.
>

> The fact that you can't build an apartment on your suburban lot is due to
> Republicans, not Democrats.

I'm sure you have something fascinating to back this up, which is
relevant to the present day, i.e., not from the days when Republicans
actually had conservationists in their party and not from the days
before the racists in the south changed from the Democratic to the
Republican party.

So please share. Because from where I sit in the year 2004 in North
Carolina, the Republicans are generally the ones saying "full speed
ahead, let's pave everything" to the developers, clear-cutters and
bulldozers, and the Democrats are the ones saying "hmm, let's take a
more careful look at our development patterns" (yes this is a
generalization, there are exceptions in both parties depending on local
poltical conditions and the makeup of local good old boy networks).

Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist

Aug 12, 2004, 2:58:59 PM8/12/04
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:58:48 -0400, xyzzy wrote:

>>>Whatever you say.
>>

>> The fact that you can't build an apartment on your suburban lot is due to
>> Republicans, not Democrats.
>>

> I'm sure you have something fascinating to back this up, which is
> relevant to the present day, i.e., not from the days when Republicans
> actually had conservationists in their party and not from the days
> before the racists in the south changed from the Democratic to the
> Republican party.

It has nothing to do with conservation. It has to do with the fact that
most Republicans come from the suburbs, and most people in the suburbs
push for strict separation of land use (because that's the only thing they
know).

Jim Bush

Aug 12, 2004, 3:09:41 PM8/12/04
I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked "Cornhuskeress"
<cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net>, but he couldn't help me either:

(You know, I may have a predisposition to equate "overly crowded with
merchandise" with "dumpy". I'm probably the only person in the world
who thinks the Jones Store is "dumpy". Just-in-time warehousing has
ruined retail merchandising in this country.....no stock room means it
all goes on the sales floor, and it looks like crap.)

That first Target you're thinking of is across the corner (well, sort
of, that's the intersection from hell, the Target is a few blocks down
from the corner) from the Wal-Mart.

The second Target you're thinking of is at 119th and I-35. They did
open a Target near the "Great" Mall of the Great Plains at 151st and
I-35, but that was just last year.

They've also opened a Target at 151st and Antioch, and a Wal-Mart at
159th and Metcalf, in order to serve the snooty people of Way South
Leawood and Overland Park. Now that Wal-Mart is just about the nicest
Wal-Mart ever......but it's still a Wal-Mart, and in a couple of years
they will slap a pallet full of microwave ovens in the middle of the
aisle.

Chris Boyd

Aug 12, 2004, 3:26:05 PM8/12/04
Jim Bush killed six kittens after typing this:

> (For you Kansas types, the clean store was in Ottawa, while one of the
> the dumpiest ones is at 119th and Metcalf in Overland Park. The other
> one is in Olathe, which probably proves her point.......)

Which is why I go the other direction to the Super Walmart on 159th and
Metcalf. Really clean like a Hen House and the outside doesn't have one
drop of that shocking Wal-Mart blue.

--
Chris Boyd
RSFC's 8 of Clubs

---
Want more? cboyd.blogspot.com
Still can't get enough? theu...@SPAM.IS.yahoo.SO.TRITE.com
---

Chris Boyd

Aug 12, 2004, 3:27:12 PM8/12/04
Jim Bush killed six kittens after typing this:

> They've also opened a Target at 151st and Antioch, and a Wal-Mart at

> 159th and Metcalf, in order to serve the snooty people of Way South
> Leawood and Overland Park. Now that Wal-Mart is just about the nicest
> Wal-Mart ever......but it's still a Wal-Mart, and in a couple of years
> they will slap a pallet full of microwave ovens in the middle of the
> aisle.

Damn I have to be faster in this chatroom. I am one of the snooty people
who shop there. As a matter of fact I just swapped out propane tanks for
my gas grill there yesterday.

Eggman

Aug 12, 2004, 3:28:31 PM8/12/04
xyzzy <inv...@addr.net> is not your name. I know what you're up to just
the same.

> Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist wrote:

Mike's talking about development control mostly in terms of zoning and
you're talking about controlling the development of anything at all.

Eggman

Eggman

Aug 12, 2004, 3:31:47 PM8/12/04
Jim Bush <jim...@NOhotmailSPAMPLEASE.com> is not your name. I know what

you're up to just the same.

> I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked "WiNK"

Why do you hate Darren Sproles?

> Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's
> game because they always turn out to be---or to be
> indistinguishable from---self-righteous sixteen-year
> -olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.
>
> --Neal Stephenson "Cryptonomicon"

Bought _The Confusion_ today. I'll get back to you in a month or two.

Eggman

Eggman

Aug 12, 2004, 3:33:28 PM8/12/04
Jim Bush <jim...@NOhotmailSPAMPLEASE.com> is not your name. I know what
you're up to just the same.

> I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked "Cornhuskeress"

The SuperTarget that's around the corner from the (AMC?) mega-multiplex
and close to Zios and The Machine Shed and that Italian place with the
huge portions was a pretty good SuperTarget.

Eggman

Bill Deems

Aug 12, 2004, 3:35:31 PM8/12/04
>Damn I have to be faster in this chatroom. I am one of the snooty people
>who shop there. As a matter of fact I just swapped out propane tanks for
>my gas grill there yesterday.
>

>--
>Chris Boyd
>RSFC's 8 of Clubs

YEW JUST DROVE SOME MOM AND POP PROPANE TANK FILLERS OUTTA BIDNESS!!!!!!!!!!
YOU MUST BE PROUD!!!!!!!

Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist

Aug 12, 2004, 3:44:44 PM8/12/04

Yes, the Eggman is right.

Andrew Smith

Aug 12, 2004, 4:07:31 PM8/12/04
"xyzzy" <inv...@addr.net> wrote in message

I'm surprised. I know where the one at Tryon & Kildaire is. Where's the
other one?

a.

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 4:15:43 PM8/12/04

Fair enough.

Jon

Jon Enslin

Aug 12, 2004, 4:18:23 PM8/12/04
Trevor Zion Bauknight wrote:
> In article <10hnaro...@corp.supernews.com>, Jon Enslin
> <what...@whereever.net> wrote:

>> Tony Rice wrote:
>
>>> "Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in

>>> Because most people dont understand that buying something for $20
>>> that you have to replace in 6 months is not as good of a buy as
>>> paying $30 for something that will last several years.
>>
>> So consumers are stupid???
>
> Yes.

If so the Yugo would have lasted longer than it did.

Jon

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 4:30:57 PM8/12/04
jaybyrd wrote:
> Jim Bush wrote:
>

>> I'd like to agree, but I've been in too many Wal-Marts to draw that
>> conclusion. One of the cleanest Wal-Marts I've ever seen was in a
>> smallish city in a poor county, while a couple of the dumpiest ones
>> are in suburbs with amazingly good household income demographics and
>> more snooty people than you can count.
>>
>> About the only correlation I've seen is they don't try to cram as
>> much stuff per square foot in the newer stores, so they don't seem
>> as bad. But after a year or two, they start putting bins and pallets
>> of merchandise in the aisles, and it just goes downhill from there.
>>

> Cramming and aisle width is a major satisfier with me. That's why my
> favorite wal mart is target. It's pretty much the same merchandise.
> Also the check out lines at target are handled better.

I wish we had Shopko out here.

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 4:34:34 PM8/12/04

ODL, I used to live at 155th and Nall (in that neighborhood). Most of that
was countryside when I lived out there, with just a few housing developments
here and there. When we built our house, it was the first one in the
subdivision.

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 4:36:19 PM8/12/04
That was the one I was thinking about!!
Message has been deleted

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 4:50:51 PM8/12/04

Bill Deems <deem...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

Dang, TMML

Peach

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 4:52:09 PM8/12/04

Cornhuskeress <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in message

We have one here...... it doesn't do nearly the business that Target or
Walmart do, but they have killer prices on school supplies. ;-) The
cashiers at this particular one are pretty inept, though. heh

Peach

WiNK

Aug 12, 2004, 4:54:21 PM8/12/04

Paranoid Dehumanized Narcissist <mdahwoop...@iwoopitywooo.com> wrote
in message news:pan.2004.08.12....@iwoopitywooo.com...

Which is exactly why many buy cheap piece o' shit trikes at
Walmart.......why spend over $20 on something the kid is only going to be on
for......a year???? (I'm not talking bikes.......I'm talking tricycles,
mentioned in the original post.)

Peach

Eggman

Aug 12, 2004, 4:51:44 PM8/12/04
"WiNK" <elvis...@yahoo.com> is not your name. I know what you're up to
just the same.

Big Wheels have tiny little chunks of tricycles in their, hmmm, exhausts?

Eggman

Trevor Zion Bauknight

Tony Rice

Aug 12, 2004, 5:09:50 PM8/12/04
"Andrew Smith" <an...@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in news:76QSc.14307
$nx2....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> I'm surprised. I know where the one at Tryon & Kildaire is. Where's the
> other one?

Glenwood Ave in Raleigh. There is one in Garner and Fuquay as well that
are even closer.

Bill Deems

Aug 12, 2004, 5:11:36 PM8/12/04
>> If so the Yugo would have lasted longer than it did.
>
>Um, if not, who would have bought one?
>
>--
>Trev

Ah, makes me remember the 10 Worst Cars quote that was something like
"The Yugo's heated rear window was handy because it kept your hands warm while
you were pushing it down the road".

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 5:11:30 PM8/12/04

ODL, my first husband had a TR7 that had to be push-started any time it
rained. (Sorry for that little trip down memory lane - your post reminded
me of it.)

Message has been deleted

Tony Rice

Aug 12, 2004, 5:15:57 PM8/12/04
"Jon Enslin" <what...@whereever.net> wrote in

> Their biggest competition is the dollar stores. I would rather have a
> Wal Mart.

surely you dont believe that Wal-Marts biggest competitor is the dollar
stores.

Jim Bush

Aug 12, 2004, 5:09:59 PM8/12/04
I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked Eggman
<egg...@iname.com>, but he couldn't help me either:

1. Dood, if I can't hate on my hometown, who can?
2. All the talented kids from Olathe go to KSU. All the
"hard-working coaches' kids" go to KU. This makes me bitter.

>> Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's
>> game because they always turn out to be---or to be
>> indistinguishable from---self-righteous sixteen-year
>> -olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.
>>
>> --Neal Stephenson "Cryptonomicon"
>
>Bought _The Confusion_ today. I'll get back to you in a month or two.

You'd best get with the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Prgram. By that
time, the third book will be out.

Jim B.

Message has been deleted

Bill Deems

Aug 12, 2004, 5:18:37 PM8/12/04
>ODL, my first husband had a TR7 that had to be push-started any time it
>rained. (Sorry for that little trip down memory lane - your post reminded
>me of it.)
>
>--
>**Geri**

Why buy a car when you can buy a hobby? Old saying about owning Triumphs and
MGs.

Doug Sorensen

Aug 12, 2004, 5:19:58 PM8/12/04
Tony Rice <ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<Xns954352393...@216.196.97.131>...

> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/185922_toysrus12.html
>
> ToysRUs did much of this to themselves getting beaten in the pricing game
> not only by WalMart but pretty much everybody else on most items. Still,
> it's a sad that the big box retailers are continuing to shove out not only
> mom and pop retailers but big chain speciality retailers as well.
>
> I recently bought my kid a tricycle and ToysRUs had the best selection by
> far. WalMart had nothing but cheep plastic crap and Target didn't even
> carry them. We even looked at some of the local bike shops but I wasn't
> too keep on paying $200+ for a german built trike that's nicer than what I
> drive to work.

I guess I have a hard time believing Toy-R-Us' story. My girl turned
four today. We don't even think of going to Walmart for her toys
(with which we spoil her freakin' rotten). We almost automatically go
to Toys-R-Us. For a large segment, Toy-R-Us basically has the segment
to itself. There must be some other management misstep behind this.

In another story, Walmart seriously pissed off the mayor of Dallas
yesterday. As the city council was voting for a moratorium on big box
stores, Walmart was getting a building permit for another one. They
got the permit about a half hour before the council's vote. Right
after the vote, one of the mayor's aids told her what had happened.
She about blew a gasket. I don't like Walmart or Mayor Miller (who
seems to be bent of rsfcking up Dallas instead of fixing streets, like
she said she would), but it's kinda fun watching a politician get her
nose out of joint.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/dallas/stories/081204dnmetbigboxfolo.13cf1.html
http://tinyurl.com/6c9tg
(Requires registration)

Doug

Andrew Smith

Aug 12, 2004, 5:20:44 PM8/12/04
"Tony Rice" <ISKZNO...@spammotel.com> wrote in message

I thought you said near.

And it's Fuquay-VARINA!

a.

Andrew Smith

Aug 12, 2004, 5:23:13 PM8/12/04
> "Jon Enslin" <what...@whereever.net> wrote in news:10hnarobflg6v31
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> >> Far fewer people have a clue about what Wal-Mart does to it's
> >> suppliers. An 800-lb gorilla constantly demanding bigger and bigger
> >> discounts until they run the supplier into the ground and then they
> >> move on to the next victim.
> >
> > What are they supposed to do?
>
> Be aware, thats all. If this kind of business practice doesn't concern
> them and they still want to spend their hard earned dollars there, then so
> be it. But they should be aware of it. That way when their employeer
> goes out of business, they'll have a little better idea why. Perhaps that
> 100 pack of toilet paper for a nickle wont look like such a bargain
> anymore.

That 100 pack of toilet paper for a nickel won't look like a bargain when
you're paying the $10 copay to have your *sshole reinstalled.

a.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Cornhuskeress

Aug 12, 2004, 5:44:01 PM8/12/04

Pretty true, too!

Bryan S. Slick

Aug 12, 2004, 5:54:45 PM8/12/04
[Tony Rice (ISKZNO...@spammotel.com)]
[Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:45:02 -0500]

:Say you bought a coffee maker for $20 from Wally-World rather than spend
:$40 for a higher quality one elsewhere. When it craps out in 6 months and
:you have to go shell out another $20 (if you are lucky and the price hasn't
:gone up), you've spent $40 and still have a crappy product that will
:probably die in another 6 months.
:
:Some people are so used to buying crappy products, throwing them out and
:buying them again that they convince themselves this is a good thing
:because the get a new one far more often than those who pay the $40 up
:front to get something that will last.

This argument is nonsense. Wal-Mart *does* sell quality products, you
know. If you choose to buy Philco televisions when they do in fact
carry Sony televisions for cheaper than anywhere else, that's your
damned fault, not Wal-Mart's.

--
Bryan S. Slick, usenet at slick-family dot net

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Bill Deems

Aug 12, 2004, 5:59:13 PM8/12/04
>This argument is nonsense. Wal-Mart *does* sell quality products, you
>know. If you choose to buy Philco televisions when they do in fact
>carry Sony televisions for cheaper than anywhere else, that's your
>damned fault, not Wal-Mart's.
>
>--
>Bryan S. Slick

Yeah, and all of those namebrands must be different because they're at
Wal-Mart. Granted, some are the "cheap" namebrands like you get at an outlet
store, but Tide is Tide, Crest is Crest, etc.

Jim Bush

Aug 12, 2004, 6:21:18 PM8/12/04
I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked the Beatles, I asked
deem...@aol.comnospam (Bill Deems), but he couldn't help me either:

The joys of twin SU carburetors: You can either have a smooth-running
car, or you can have free time. The choice is up to you.

Daniel Edwards

Aug 12, 2004, 6:42:07 PM8/12/04
> Far fewer people have a clue about what Wal-Mart does to it's
> suppliers. An 800-lb gorilla constantly demanding bigger and bigger
> discounts until they run the supplier into the ground and then they
> move on to the next victim.

If this is the case, then they owe the Big Three car companies $1 now,
and $0.10 retroactively for the past six months, and $0.05 guaranteed in
each of the next three years.

--
Daniel Edwards
Former Employee

Dave Fried

Aug 12, 2004, 6:59:43 PM8/12/04
Jon Enslin wrote:

> Tony Rice wrote:
>
>>"Cornhuskeress" <cahusk...@sbcglobalGOBIGRED.net> wrote in
>>

>>>Wal-Mart would not be able to do this if people did not choose to
>>>shop there. Peopel were given a choice and they evidently made it.
>>
>>Because most people dont understand that buying something for $20
>>that you have to replace in 6 months is not as good of a buy as
>>paying $30 for something that will last several years.
>
> So consumers are stupid???

Irrational, in an economic sense, perhaps. Certainly stupid sometimes.

--Dave

Dave Fried

Aug 12, 2004, 7:01:27 PM8/12/04
Tony Rice wrote:

> "Jon Enslin" <what...@whereever.net> wrote in news:10hnarobflg6v31
>

>>>Far fewer people have a clue about what Wal-Mart does to it's
>>>suppliers. An 800-lb gorilla constantly demanding bigger and bigger
>>>discounts until they run the supplier into the ground and then they
>>>move on to the next victim.
>>

>>What are they supposed to do?
>
> Be aware, thats all. If this kind of business practice doesn't concern
> them and they still want to spend their hard earned dollars there, then so
> be it. But they should be aware of it. That way when their employeer
> goes out of business, they'll have a little better idea why. Perhaps that
> 100 pack of toilet paper for a nickle wont look like such a bargain
> anymore.

It's basic game theory. Prisoner's dilemma. I can stop shopping at
Wal-Mart, but then everybody else will still shop there and I'll still
lose my job. The only difference is that in the meantime I'll be paying
higher prices.

If we do not want our manufacturing being shipped overseas, we have to
create a market in which there are incentives either for retailers to
use American suppliers, or for shoppers to buy American. The current
situation doesn't encourage either.

--Dave

It is loading more messages.