<DG> TV Ads

Rodney

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Just wanted to bounce this off the group before sending to Kristi,
Guru, the Czar, and the other fine folks at (or volunteering for) the
PDGA. I'm interested in your comments and any information on whether
this has been discussed before.

My idea is for the PDGA to spend whatever it costs to get a professional
30-second TV commercial made. You know, good music, voice over, discs,
chains, Stokely, kids, families; all the things that make disc golf
great. I don't know how much this would cost, but I'm guessing maybe
$5000 to $10000 American.

Then, the PDGA would allow any local club (or individual) to air this
ad in his/her area. The local club would be responsible for picking
the time, channel, etc. and paying to run the ad.

Actually, it would be a 25-second commercial. The final 5 seconds would
be a custom tag for whatever local entity was running the ad. For
instance, it could be "For more information in Austin, contact Rappin'
John Houck at 555-JOHN."

My previous employer (a national pharmacy franchise chain) did this with
their pharmacy ads. The custom 5-second tag was a picture of the
local pharmacist along with their phone number and address and only cost
about $50 to add onto the end of the 25-second commercial.

Ad rates for some channels are alarmingly low. In Des Moines, 30
seconds on The Weather Channel, MTV, Cartoon, or Headline News is $10.
I think Conan O'Brian goes for $5 per 30 seconds.

And I guess if the PDGA can't foot the bill for the commercial, maybe
a bunch of clubs could pool money to get it done.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
rodney

Brian P. Canniff

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Rodney wrote:
> And I guess if the PDGA can't foot the bill for the commercial, maybe
> a bunch of clubs could pool money to get it done.

I think that <u> should be able to do that, too!

What do you think?

Brian

TBranch773

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

In article <88783071...@ins8.netins.net>, rod...@worf.netins.net (Rodney)
writes:

>Ad rates for some channels are alarmingly low. In Des Moines, 30
seconds on
>The Weather Channel, MTV, Cartoon, or Headline News is $10.
I think Conan
>O'Brian goes for $5 per 30 seconds.

And I guess if the PDGA can't foot the

>bill for the commercial, maybe
a bunch of clubs could pool money to get it
>done.

.
This is a really good idea!
And the late night ads being the cheapest!
That's just the group of people we want to reach
-Tbran...@aol.com
PDGA - 11795
Ann Arbor, MI

ChappyFade

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

>d rates for some channels are alarmingly low. In Des Moines, 30<BR>
>seconds on<BR>
>>The Weather Channel, MTV, Cartoon, or Headline News is $10. <BR>
>I think Conan<BR>
>>O'Brian goes for $5 per 30 seconds.<BR>
><BR>
>And I guess if the PDGA can't foot the<BR>
>>bill for the commercial, maybe<BR>
>a bunch of clubs could pool money to get it<BR>
>>done.<BR>
>.<BR>
>This is a really good idea!<BR>
>And the late night ads being the cheapest! <BR>
>That's just the group of people we want to reach<BR>
>-Tbran...@aol.com<BR>
>PDGA - 11795<BR>
>Ann Arbor, MI<BR>
></H

Actually, this idea has serious merit. That's something worth considering.
John Chapman
Columbia, MO

Tyme

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98
to Brian P. Canniff

TYME> I know I can produce that too. :-)

Tyme

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98
to Rodney

I can produce this ad. Got experience.

On 18 Feb 1998, Rodney wrote:

> Just wanted to bounce this off the group before sending to Kristi,
> Guru, the Czar, and the other fine folks at (or volunteering for) the
> PDGA. I'm interested in your comments and any information on whether
> this has been discussed before.
>
> My idea is for the PDGA to spend whatever it costs to get a professional
> 30-second TV commercial made. You know, good music, voice over, discs,
> chains, Stokely, kids, families; all the things that make disc golf
> great. I don't know how much this would cost, but I'm guessing maybe
> $5000 to $10000 American.
>
> Then, the PDGA would allow any local club (or individual) to air this
> ad in his/her area. The local club would be responsible for picking
> the time, channel, etc. and paying to run the ad.
>
> Actually, it would be a 25-second commercial. The final 5 seconds would
> be a custom tag for whatever local entity was running the ad. For
> instance, it could be "For more information in Austin, contact Rappin'
> John Houck at 555-JOHN."
>
> My previous employer (a national pharmacy franchise chain) did this with
> their pharmacy ads. The custom 5-second tag was a picture of the
> local pharmacist along with their phone number and address and only cost
> about $50 to add onto the end of the 25-second commercial.
>

> Ad rates for some channels are alarmingly low. In Des Moines, 30
> seconds on The Weather Channel, MTV, Cartoon, or Headline News is $10.
> I think Conan O'Brian goes for $5 per 30 seconds.

TYME> I find this VERY hard to believe. Is contrary to my experience.

> And I guess if the PDGA can't foot the bill for the commercial, maybe
> a bunch of clubs could pool money to get it done.
>

> Thoughts?

TYME> Yep. Hire me to produce it. :-)

OaksTravel

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

>> Ad rates for some channels are alarmingly low. In Des Moines, 30
>> seconds on The Weather Channel, MTV, Cartoon, or Headline News is $10.
>> I think Conan O'Brian goes for $5 per 30 seconds.

Wow!

Cheap, sounds like pocket change.
And to think that I spent the Christmas holiday in Wichita Falls Texas, not in
Cupertino, Santa Cruz, or Honolulu.
Stayed at my aunt's and uncle's humble Texas size house with along with my
parents and Hawaiian bro as well, seeing family and relatives I have not seen
in years. King bed and tv in every room, and the biggest TV I have ever seen
in my life in the family room.. Not kidding! To the point. It was _always_
tuned every time I exited and entered the family area every day to: (drum roll
please)

_ "The Weather Channel"__

A huge shock at first. How? Why? Am I on earth? I rarely watch TV, let
alone repetitive diatribe. But I was on vacation, hanging with my true blood
Texan relatives. They are semi-retired. I'm there. Gotta live the
experience...

Storms, hail, frost, snow, winds, sun, precipitation warnings, satallite
shots, radar, somewhat good music (Jean-Luc Ponty) occasionally, boring
commercials.. Ad nauseam....

Packed literature saved me later...

Otherwise, an interesting area in life style, strip-malls and such, and media-
wise, a huge backwater. Things are slow there, like a time tunnel. However, I
actually enjoyed my visit.
Left a dozen discs as seeds for my cousins and their children. Gave them the
martial art twist on instruction. One on one. Feel the force, one with the
disc, aim for my palm, or the tree <dg>. Snap wrist hard. Look at where you
want to throw, relax. Nature takes its course.
Smile miles.

But WOW! Disc golf potential alert to the rest of the country that I fly over
it quite a bit. WF is good mid-america barometer.. I like the idea of late tv
or small market. Forget my market, can't even afford a nanosecond.
Bored future players might find what they miss or need in their life. A fun
challenge . Might pay dividends some day. Can be a good fit for the less
active, and an alternative to the high priced and hard to get tee time club
golf for the social participants. Played many rounds of DG, as well as a few
in expensive golf. See potential in the former better. Who's game?..

Thanks Tammy (WF, DG, rsd) for your great insights on things to do in Wichita
Falls. Beyond your great advice, also found some good clubs, dining, western
wear, boots, sights, discovery, and connections with my mothers roots and
relatives. I hope to see a few more discs in local sport shops someday as
well.
Well, maybe some day. GFI golfers.

Chas.
UPA Travel Guru

tammy

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

OaksTravel wrote in message
<19980227094...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

>>> Ad rates for some channels are alarmingly low. In Des Moines, >

>Thanks Tammy (WF, DG, rsd) for your great insights on things to do in
Wichita
>Falls. Beyond your great advice, also found some good clubs,

Thanx for the roses as we say on cb radio, Oaks Travel. Glad you liked your
stay. Guess I never will know if I was in the Park the same day as you, but
I just know the disc had to be a flying when you were there. I wish we had
better disc shops here too.
Come back again someday and wave a hand.
tammy