Team name changes for nationals

JD

Oct 15, 2005, 3:58:10 PM10/15/05
Method?
Ror$hack?
Who's behind all of this?

Garrett Dyer

Oct 15, 2005, 5:10:40 PM10/15/05
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:58:10 GMT, "JD" <josh(remove)dr...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Method?
>Ror$hack?
>Who's behind all of this?

Name/Logo Guidelines

The UPA reserves the right to alter, or require a team to alter, a
team name, player nickname, team logo, or jersey graphic and/or
suggest alternatives at or in conjunction with a UPA program or event
should UPA personnel determine that the existing name, logo, or
graphic might hinder the mission of the organization or the goals of a
specific UPA program or event. Alterations must meet with the approval
of UPA personnel.

tdemet...@whww.com

Oct 15, 2005, 6:54:37 PM10/15/05
My understanding is that the teams agreed to change their name upon
request by the UPA admin. I am on the board and although there was no
official vote, it was felt by those board members polled (myself
included), that the names were inappropriate for national competition.
So, although the request came from admin, it was in fact prompted by
those board members who responded to the poll. This was not a formal
board decision as there was not enough time to act upon it in an
official board capacity. I can only speak for myself, but it did not
seem to me that team names referring to crystal method or whores should
be displayed on a national stage. I think that might set the sport
back a bit in terms of legitimacy. From what I heard, though, the
teams were understanding and acted graciously.

Todd Demetriades

Mike Gerics

Oct 15, 2005, 7:55:20 PM10/15/05
what were these names before.....and in what division?

Manzell Blakeley

Oct 15, 2005, 7:58:37 PM10/15/05
Whore$hack -portland co-ed.

ultimatep...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2005, 8:31:21 PM10/15/05
meth iowa city, iowa mixed

those damn mixed kids.

matt.be...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2005, 11:37:07 PM10/15/05
What about Drive thru liquor? I thought the endorsement of alcohol was
not part of the UPA's agenda. The same can be said about the
kegworkers and brass monkey.

kavu pulls up an interesting definition at urbandictionary.com (the
only one):
"a man with a big cock"

Chico's bail bonds? also seems like it could be innapropriate.

Box lunch came up with the most interesting results. 3/4 were similar
to (including) this one:
After the man cums inside of a woman...he or somone else procedes to
perform oral on the woman.
ex: To get even with her boyfriend, the girl went to the bar had sex
with a stranger when she got home rather than having sex again she told
him to go down on her and served him a box lunch.

It can be a slippery slope on what is and is not appropriate.

Also, i think it's because Meth is closer to methamphetamine than to
the musical act Crystal Method.

Boots

Oct 16, 2005, 1:45:45 AM10/16/05
Drive Thru Liquor is generally referred to as DTL, as far as I know.
Similiar situation with Big Ass Truck who goes by BAT at the nationals
scene.

I play NW mixed, and early in the season when the potential of
Whorshack going to natties came up, I had been wondering what the name
situation would end up as.... situation solved: Rorshack. My guess it
is a reference to the butterfly-like rorschplott* ink thing on their
jerseys. (*I have no idea what the right name/ spelling is).

Reid,
shazam

bettyf...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2005, 2:22:43 AM10/16/05
whoa, whoa, whoa. let's put the kibosh on the sexual innuendos.
box lunch was clearly derived from the ladies that sat with the sack
boys at a social picnic.
we toted our snacks in lunchboxes while they brought sack lunches. duh.
so i don't know where all that cumming is coming from. yuck.

pb

Oct 16, 2005, 2:25:24 AM10/16/05
sweet. however, http://kavu.com/

matt.be...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2005, 3:34:51 AM10/16/05
Wow, urban dictionary must hate you
2. kibosh
a threesome involving 2 men and one woman where both men hump the chick
at one point or another during the ordeal.
ex. Mike and Jay kiboshed that fat chick last night!

Mike Gerics

Oct 16, 2005, 9:35:20 AM10/16/05
> > >Method?
> > >Ror$hack?

--Meth and Whoreshack.
two stupid names that someone should have changed before they were given.

to me....getting rid of some stoopid names like that...is what the upa
should have been doing with them stupid write ups and team histories that
teams have been submitting for years......

Jon Bauman

Oct 16, 2005, 11:52:14 AM10/16/05
Stupid, or social commentary?

Meth(od)'s name comes from a New York Times editorial about the
migration of young people away from Iowa City:

"I used to joke that Iowa's two leading crops were rural poverty and
crystal meth. But it's not a joke. The fact is that Iowa is a beautiful
state. Minneapolis isn't that far away. Iowa would be a great place to
live, if only the air and the water weren't polluted and you could be
sure you wouldn't find yourself living next to 10,000 sows in a hog
prison. There was a time, well within my dad's memory, when Iowa's
agriculture was diversified and when the towns were rich in a culture
of their own devising."

The full editorial is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/09/opinion/09wed4.html
You can use idi0ts/futile as your login/password.

Is there an interesting story behind Whor$hack, I wonder? Any other
interesting team name origins?

Garrett Dyer

Oct 16, 2005, 3:20:29 PM10/16/05
On 16 Oct 2005 08:52:14 -0700, "Jon Bauman" <bau...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Meth(od)'s name comes from a New York Times editorial about the
>migration of young people away from Iowa City:
>
>"I used to joke that Iowa's two leading crops were rural poverty and
>crystal meth.

An inside joke is pretty tough for the rest of the world to get, and
then all you're left with is "Meth"...and the first impression I get
has nothing to do with social commentary. So if you're asking me to
choose...

But hey, ultimate has been, is, and will continue to be full of team
names that are embarrassing to the sport. "Meth" is not even close to
being the most unsavory of team names that represented the sport at
the national championships...

Daag Alemayehu

Oct 16, 2005, 8:17:18 PM10/16/05
In light of the reasons given in this thread, I can't help but wonder
why the UPA doesn't also require teams to change their name when they
infringe on someone else's rights (e.g., trademarks). Johnny Bravo
immediately comes to mind. Perhaps also Ring of Fire, and I'm sure
there are others I just can't think of right now. I mean, hopefully
one day we'll be at a level of exposure where ultimate teams can't get
away with names like that, so I'd think that the UPA might want to
start dealing with those teams before we get there.

kama...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2005, 9:13:28 PM10/16/05
No social commentary here, only people ruminating a bit too much.

Daisy had a dream that we should name the team "Roar Shack" (after,
indeed, the Rorschach Test -- Reid, are you paying attention to the
spelling?). This is because Daisy was in psych grad school. Then she
introduced that name to the team, and a lot of free association ensued:
"How about Horshack, like Arnold Horshack from 'Welcome Back Kotter'?"
and the like. Then it all went downhill -- in a prurient sense -- to
Whore Shack, and then to Whorshack (dunno why the e got dropped) and
then Whor$hack "cuz whores luv $." It's not like the word "whore"
isn't used often enough in our little subculture, but the irony is that
we *aren't* actually a whore team.

So yeah, we switched the name to Ror$hack because of the front of our
jerseys (though "Whor$hack" can still clearly be seen on the back of
our jerseys). And we understand why, and we understand why Meth's name
got changed too. But frankly, all that matters is that we know who we
are -- we're representing our fine state and our fantastic NW region at
the UPA championships and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what
we're listed as in the program.

-KamaSue
Whor$hack #14

Handy

Oct 16, 2005, 9:46:20 PM10/16/05
Johnny Bravo I don't believe is in reference to the Cartoon Network
show...

Mike Gerics

Oct 16, 2005, 9:53:57 PM10/16/05
> Stupid, or social commentary?

---stupid, i bet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Meth(od)'s name comes from a New York Times editorial about the
> migration of young people away from Iowa City:

> Is there an interesting story behind Whor$hack, I wonder?

---well....i didn't see an "interesting story" behind the Meth name.......

matt.be...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2005, 10:46:11 PM10/16/05
Hey Garrett,
You've made me wonder, what are the most unsavory team names in
nationals history?

Dave Klink

Oct 16, 2005, 11:54:33 PM10/16/05
Any legal expert out there want to enlighten us on the nuances of using
copyrighted names/logos for ultimate?

I know that the U of Minnesota had some trouble with their old animal
disc designs, but I haven't heard of any other designs or team names or
anything running into trouble (except some colleges w/ university
logos)...and there certainly do seem to be a LOT of potential lawsuits
out there on jerseys and discs (and Carleton tatoos) etc.

Perhaps the profit issue is key. I don't know, but they do sell videos
and merchandise, and some tournaments offer cash prizes now. I suppose
no one is gonna sue (even if they can) until it's a big enough deal to
matter to a corporation.

Lenny Lime

Oct 17, 2005, 1:39:11 AM10/17/05
Great point Matt. After doing some of my own research I would like
to petition the UPA to requst another team to change its name. I find
it APPALLING that this semi-finalist from last year has been allowed to
use a name as perverted as this. With the help of urbandictionary.com
I hope to clean up Champies. One could only imagine the look of shock
on a parents face when thier child reads this teams shocking name in a
tournament packet or hears this teams name shouted on the field. The
team I refer to is Pike from the MA region.
Quoted from urbandictionary.com:
1. Pike
The action of just straight-up drilling a b*tch in any orifice (most
commonly vagina).
"Hey baby, wanna get piked?"
"Ho, don't even ask me to pike you; you know you can't take this d*ck."
-or-
7. Pike
(v.) To have sex in an exceptionally rough manner.
"B*tch, you gon' get straight-up piked tonight!"
"Sarah loves to get piked by big black dudes."
I hope this is another step in cleaning up Champies '05.

Entsetzt,
~Leonard

dlwi...@evcom.net

Oct 17, 2005, 9:15:01 AM10/17/05
Wasn't there a college team in Pennsylvania that had the baking soda
people come after them because they were selling disks with the "Arm &
Hammer" logo on them?

Dave

nburk...@plattolaw.com

Oct 17, 2005, 9:35:05 AM10/17/05

Generally, you can't use registered names, marks or logos without the
permission of the person/entity who owns it -- profit or otherwise.

While the UPA reserves the right to request a name change, i'm curious
as to whether the teams must accommodate. The teams have been
permitted to play at UPA sponsored events all year under their chosen
moniker, including sectionals and regionals - making the reasons for
the late change somewhat strange (even if the presumed justification is
that there is more visibility at nationals and the UPA wants everyone
to be on their best behavior). I for one am not a big fan of
censorship, and have never like Tipper Gore and her PMRC etc. Seems
somewhat "un-ultimate" to me.

jt

Oct 17, 2005, 10:58:56 AM10/17/05
Thanks for the laughs. Great thread.

danfri...@yahoo.com

Oct 17, 2005, 11:44:44 AM10/17/05

kama...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Daisy had a dream that we should name the team "Roar Shack" (after,
> indeed, the Rorschach Test -- Reid, are you paying attention to the
> spelling?). This is because Daisy was in psych grad school. Then she
> introduced that name to the team, and a lot of free association ensued:
> "How about Horshack, like Arnold Horshack from 'Welcome Back Kotter'?"
> and the like. Then it all went downhill -- in a prurient sense -- to
> Whore Shack, and then to Whorshack (dunno why the e got dropped) and
> then Whor$hack "cuz whores luv $." It's not like the word "whore"
> isn't used often enough in our little subculture, but the irony is that
> we *aren't* actually a whore team.

The real irony is that, after all that, somebody from the
Team-With-7-Names complained to the Sectionals TD about their name
being spelled wrong on the schedule. Hard to imagine how that happened
:)

matt.be...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2005, 11:50:35 AM10/17/05
I know! Don't even bother to see what the so proclaimed innocent "sack
lunch" comes up with at urbandictionary.com. Jeez people. Whatever
happened to lions and tigers and bears at team names!

chosen

Oct 17, 2005, 12:16:14 PM10/17/05

you won't believe what 'sockeye" is at urbandictionary,

go Carleton!!
i mean gay college

vanh...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2005, 12:45:29 PM10/17/05
See, this is the kind of thing that the UPA needs to pick up on.
UrbanDictionary.com obviously would be the perfect sponsor for Champies
'06, since they seem to have their fingers on the pulse of the ultimate
community. Unexplored revenue stream anyone?

Chico's Bail Bonds could probably sponsor a team or two, but they may
be too busy with the Bad News Bears.

Later,
-Scott

matt.be...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2005, 1:01:10 PM10/17/05
Man, I'm glad everyone is starting to see things my way.

biff

Oct 17, 2005, 1:15:18 PM10/17/05
Can't speak for Nationals, but the most unsavory local team name I ever
played against was Unshaved Nazi Skinhead Prison Dykes. (Unshaven for
short)

Others?

biff

PBo

Oct 17, 2005, 1:36:02 PM10/17/05
everyone knows the cool carletons play for sub zero.

and if you're into the urbandictionary.com thing...

"The coolest of the mortal kombat ninja's. He's a great chractor if you
can master his moves to just be repetitive and piss people off by
getting flawless victories using near-unblockable sets of moves.
Freeze, slide

Freeze, slide

Freeze, slide

Freeze, slide

Freeze, slide

Freeze, slide

Freeze, slide

Sub zero wins.

Flawless victory."

Jon Bauman

Oct 17, 2005, 1:49:53 PM10/17/05
PBo wrote:
> everyone knows the cool carletons play for sub zero.
>
> and if you're into the urbandictionary.com thing...
>
> "The coolest of the mortal kombat ninja's. He's a great chractor if you
> can master his moves to just be repetitive and piss people off by
> getting flawless victories using near-unblockable sets of moves.
> Freeze, slide
>
> Freeze, slide

In other words, "Stall, travel"?

:)

them...@holly.colostate.edu

Oct 17, 2005, 3:19:54 PM10/17/05
Drive Thru Liquor is usually refered to as DTL, this is true. And the
endorsement of alcohol is encouraged by everyone. As long as done
responsibly and legally I would say the UPA beer truck at Natties
supports and endorses the drinking of ultimate players.

Maybe if the tournament was in Vegas Whore$shack wouldnt have a
problem.

Mickey
DTL

cg

Oct 17, 2005, 3:55:45 PM10/17/05

Jon Bauman wrote:
> Stupid, or social commentary?
>
> Meth(od)'s name comes from a New York Times editorial about the
> migration of young people away from Iowa City:

If this was your intention, then why put a picture of a spoon on the
front of your jerseys? I don't know much about drugs, but seems to
relate to the process of making meth, if not other drugs. Please
explain the picture's relation to migration or correct my ignorance.

Neon Bordeau

Oct 17, 2005, 4:13:01 PM10/17/05

there is no spoon.

but yeah, you don't know nothing about drugs.

POLA

Oct 17, 2005, 4:13:09 PM10/17/05

Boy, good to see that the UPA is still doing things by the book.

For the record, fif you asked me to change a team name based on the
results of an 'informal poll' of Board Members, I would decline. The
UPA board is not legitimate, in that they have NEVER complied with the
ByLaws or satisfied the legal minimum standards for including members
in the management of the organization. Then to throw around your weight
as censors in a historically liberated environment is disgusting, not
to mention entirely arbitrary, unscientific and capricious. I don't see
Philly O.L.D. S.A.G. being asked to change names, nor was Poles and
Holes ever confronted, despite having the then-ED playing on the team.

So much for self-regulation I guess - was too good to last, and now
that the morals police have taken over the name game, the real game
can't be too far from fols with whistles and striped jerseys calling
all the shots - damn shame for that to happen to a good game.

Next time try respecting people's ability to think for themselves.

POLA

tdemet...@whww.com wrote:
> My understanding is that the teams agreed to change their name upon
> request by the UPA admin. I am on the board and although there was no
> official vote, it was felt by those board members polled (myself
> included), that the names were inappropriate for national competition.
> So, although the request came from admin, it was in fact prompted by
> those board members who responded to the poll. This was not a formal
> board decision as there was not enough time to act upon it in an
> official board capacity. I can only speak for myself, but it did not
> seem to me that team names referring to crystal method or whores should
> be displayed on a national stage. I think that might set the sport
> back a bit in terms of legitimacy. From what I heard, though, the
> teams were understanding and acted graciously.
>
> Todd Demetriades

Garrett Dyer

Oct 17, 2005, 5:28:03 PM10/17/05

Sorta. They tried to get sponsorship from them, and the company not
only said no, but stop using our name or we'll sue ya.

jt

Oct 17, 2005, 5:34:43 PM10/17/05

Is it a laddle?

Garrett Dyer

Oct 17, 2005, 5:36:46 PM10/17/05
On 17 Oct 2005 14:34:43 -0700, "jt" <uncw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is it a laddle?

Request: go back to "JT".

There was only ever one of those...

faddy

Oct 17, 2005, 5:38:02 PM10/17/05

+++++++++++++++

they weren't a college team.

hbr...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2005, 5:48:14 PM10/17/05
I either read an article or watched a video during which they were
referred to as "Big Axle Truck". I got a good laugh out of that one.

Boots wrote:
> Drive Thru Liquor is generally referred to as DTL, as far as I know.
> Similiar situation with Big Ass Truck who goes by BAT at the nationals
> scene.

kama...@yahoo.com

Oct 17, 2005, 6:01:49 PM10/17/05

danfri...@yahoo.com wrote:

> The real irony is that, after all that, somebody from the
> Team-With-7-Names complained to the Sectionals TD about their name
> being spelled wrong on the schedule. Hard to imagine how that happened
> :)

Actually, Dan, that's Alanis Morrisette irony, not real irony. :-)

francis

Oct 17, 2005, 6:06:42 PM10/17/05
the spoon. well, basically team method is comprised of a pretty good
looking bunch of people. some say, a really good looking bunch of
people. so naturally when we are just hanging out together we are
usually spooning each other. we love to spoon each other. we don't
even practice ultimate, we just spoon. and so as not to offend anyone,
we figured it would be better to put a picture of a spoon rather than a
picture of a mr. bro getting spooned by big rich. so the picture has
no relation to migration or the use of drugs, but the beautiful act of
spooning.

if you would like to participate in the spooning down in sarasota,
please send a picture of yourself along with a brief essay on your
preference of being the inside or outside spoon to me. paece

IrishZag

Oct 17, 2005, 6:22:03 PM10/17/05
Mickey,

Seems like you made something of yourself since telling the school to
suck it. Good luck at Natties.

McCarthy
Former Falcon

Jackson

Oct 17, 2005, 6:46:32 PM10/17/05
Since it appears that all of the teams have inappropriate names, I
think we should just refer to them by a number. I considered using just
letters, but urban dictionary wouldn't permit that:
An abreviation for dope, which stands for heroin.
Man we gotta get some d soon, im already getting the shits.

Greek letters won't work either.
alpha
slang for the hallucinogenic drug AMT or Alpha Methyl Tryptamine, now
scheduled in the US since 2004 but long prior available over the
internet thru various suppliers.
I got a whopping headache after I drank some mangoe juice while
tripping on alpha the other day and it didnt go away for HOURS!

Fuck, numbers are no good.
1
Used as slang in the mainland Chinese gay community to refer to a
"top", a man who prefers to give anal sex rather than recieve. Opposite
of "bottom" or "0".
Man A: Are you a 1 or a 0?
Man B: I am a 1.

better not allow teams at all.

danfri...@yahoo.com

Oct 17, 2005, 7:20:50 PM10/17/05

It isn't ironic that a team would call themselves Roar Shack after the
Rorschach test, then Whore Shack, then Whorshack, then Whor$hack, and
THEN be bummed that someone gave up trying to guess what incarnation
might come up next on the wheel-o-team-names? And now it's 'Ror$hack'?
What does that mean?

You're right, though. I'm pretty sure I don't know what irony means
anymore.

And I blame that on Alanis Morissette (spelled the way she would spell
it).

A_L_S...@hotmail.com

Oct 17, 2005, 7:58:25 PM10/17/05
Chico's Bail Bonds was the sponsor of the Bad News Bears. It's not
inappropriate, it's funny. You have to be old to understand.

danfri...@yahoo.com

Oct 21, 2005, 4:54:10 PM10/21/05

danfri...@yahoo.com wrote:
> It isn't ironic that a team would call themselves Roar Shack after the
> Rorschach test, then Whore Shack, then Whorshack, then Whor$hack, and
> THEN be bummed that someone gave up trying to guess what incarnation
> might come up next on the wheel-o-team-names? And now it's 'Ror$hack'?
> What does that mean?

More news. It's now "Rhor$hack".

So it has been:

Roar Shack
Whore Shack
Whorshack
Whor$hack
Ror$hack
Rhor$hack

Future team name suggestions? How 'bout

Hoooa$hack (say it like Pacino)
Rory$hack (oops, she's on One Mississippi)
Lov$hack
War$hack
Whor$hak (whaddya need a 'c' for anyway)
Whor-Whor-Whor-$hack (like the new 'zam cheer)
Wilma$hack

kama...@yahoo.com

Oct 21, 2005, 5:14:28 PM10/21/05
OK come on now -- the UPA made it Ror$hack, the Score o Matic guy
(Charles Kerr) made it Rhor$hack. This is no fault of actual team
members, so give it a rest Dan.

danfri...@yahoo.com

Oct 21, 2005, 5:21:49 PM10/21/05

Jeez, almost makes you wonder if he spelled it wrong on purpose! Heh
heh heh.