Look at the future

arahim

Aug 23, 2016, 1:00:42 PM8/23/16
Has there ever been such a difference in a teams test and ODI rankings? A difference of 8.

The ODIs will provide a window into the future of the batting since Pakistan tend to use ODIs as a bit of a nursery for test batsmen...unless this time they are specifically trying to address the ODI problem. Even if they were to win all ODIs in the series that will not take them out of the ninth spot. In fact having extremely good results over the next year will barely give them a direct qualification for The WC.

Can some batsmen show up making Umar Akmal and Shahzad finally obsolete?

The bowling too has some questions: Can Gul make another successful comeback? Will Hafeez still be one of the all rounder choices?

By contrast England may be somewhat unsettled in who to leave out with too many good choices.

max.it

Aug 23, 2016, 1:51:50 PM8/23/16
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:00:40 -0700 (PDT), arahim
<arahim...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Has there ever been such a difference in a teams test and ODI rankings? A d=
>ifference of 8.
>
>The ODIs will provide a window into the future of the batting since Pakista=
>n tend to use ODIs as a bit of a nursery for test batsmen...unless this tim=
>e they are specifically trying to address the ODI problem. Even if they wer=
>e to win all ODIs in the series that will not take them out of the ninth sp=
>ot. In fact having extremely good results over the next year will barely gi=
>ve them a direct qualification for The WC.
>
>Can some batsmen show up making Umar Akmal and Shahzad finally obsolete?
>
>The bowling too has some questions: Can Gul make another successful comebac=
>k? Will Hafeez still be one of the all rounder choices?
>
>By contrast England may be somewhat unsettled in who to leave out with too =
>many good choices.

I'd back Gul to have a good series if he remains injury free.
Amir is very green, he needs to bowl with an experienced partner like
Gul.

max.it

arahim

Aug 26, 2016, 12:27:44 PM8/26/16
Both batting and bowling have issues but for batting it's hard to say there is even one position that is a settled one except maybe Sarfraz.

How long can Hafeez hang on.

They used to have misbah playing the anchor and when he left they brought in azhar. If azhar was going to be the anchor they should have kept misbah freeing him to play hard and fast, which he can. But is there really an anchor role on 300+ pitches?

The approach did not work under misbah and has the same issues under azhar. It will only lead to further "comfortable" losses. Only chance will be individual brilliant performances.

So wrong approach and an inability to try new players or they really don't have anything forseeably better than Hadeez and Shoaib.

Might as well send in Pakistan A...with the right attitude.