Universal smart shaft system

145 vues

bill stroud

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 14:21:2708/02/2005
After five years of development I am ready to announce the Universal smart
shaft system.

This is a new type of shaft system that is on the leading edge of
technology.

It is the first billiard product to incorporate piezoelectric damping to
reduce unwanted vibration in the shaft. The immediate result of this
technology is increased feel and more accurate striking of the cue ball.

Another innovation is the advanced adapter technology. Utilizing the proper
adapter the Universal smart shaft will fit on any cue. You can now go to any
local dealer and pick out a new shaft that fits your cue in less that five
minutes.

Both of the above technologies are covered by patent.

The Universal shaft will come in two configurations and a variety of sizes.

The LS or low squirt version is for the players that like the Predator
technology. This version achieves low squirt thru a low mass and flexible
ferrule, not by drilling a hole in the front.

The RS or regular squirt version is for the rest of us that don't want to
change their game.

You will be able to see and try this new shaft system at the Allen Hopkins
Expo. I will be in booth 30-31.

Bill Stroud

Michael Webb

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 15:55:2708/02/2005
What is the average shaft weight, size, tip and taper. Is there a money
back guarantee like Predator has.
Respectfully,
Universal sales pitch, Create questionable doubt and you just sold a
product.
Michael Webb
Webb Custom Cues
http://www.webbcues.com

Patrick Johnson

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 16:31:0708/02/2005
bill stroud wrote:

> It is the first billiard product to incorporate piezoelectric damping to
> reduce unwanted vibration in the shaft.

Is this similar to the technology used in the LimbSaver? Is it visible
on the finished shaft? Where is it located on the shaft?

Pat Johnson
Chicago

Paul Mon

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 16:39:2508/02/2005
Bill, I'm not trying to be a wise guy with these question and comments.

After five years of development I am ready to announce the Universal
smart shaft system. This is a new type of shaft system that is on the
leading edge of technology.

Bill, Is there someplace (website) where I can see this?

It is the first billiard product to incorporate piezoelectric damping
to reduce unwanted vibration in the shaft. The immediate result of this
technology is increased feel and more accurate striking of the cue
ball.

Interesting choice of words. You reduce vibration, which you say is
unwanted, but at the same time increase feel. And you make me strike
the cueball with increased accuracy! How? Must be that you need to
actually hit with one of these to make the observation.

Another innovation is the advanced adapter technology. Utilizing the
proper adapter the Universal smart shaft will fit on any cue. You can
now go to any local dealer and pick out a new shaft that fits your cue
in less that five minutes.

Again, this begs for more information to be displayed.

Both of the above technologies are covered by patent.

What are the patent numbers?

The Universal shaft will come in two configurations and a variety of
sizes. The LS or low squirt version is for the players that like the
Predator technology. This version achieves low squirt thru a low mass
and flexible ferrule, not by drilling a hole in the front.

Is there something inherently wrong with drilling a hole to reduce
mass? Is it lower squirt than a 314 shaft?

The RS or regular squirt version is for the rest of us that don't want
to change their game.

You will be able to see and try this new shaft system at the Allen
Hopkins Expo. I will be in booth 30-31.

I'll look forward to talking to you..........Paul Mon

Fast Larry

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 16:59:5508/02/2005
Q:

Is there something inherently wrong with drilling a hole to reduce
mass? Is it lower squirt than a 314 shaft?

fl answers, yes, you make the shaft weaker and the ferrule wall is
thinner and I have blown several of them up where the wood banana peals
back.

Bill, what does your shaft do the limbsaver for $29 does not do, I have
them on all of my show Meuccis. The Jacksonville experiment says at
impact the cue ball is gone with in 1000th of a second, so eliminating
vibration has nothing to do with improving the shot which is long gone
by the time you feel vibrations, so what. It's just an after effect
and another gimick to sell to bozos. Give me something that actually
makes me play better. I'll be performing at the bca show, look me up
and show me this thingie improves my shots and I'll endorse it for you.
I am really from Missouri, the show me state. FL

Patrick Johnson

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 17:38:3308/02/2005
Paul Mon wrote:

> Is there something inherently wrong with drilling a hole to reduce
> mass?

That technique is patented by Predator (believe it or not). I did it
anyway -- let 'em sue me.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

bill stroud

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 17:45:4508/02/2005
> Pat Johnson wrote.

> Is this similar to the technology used in the LimbSaver? Is it visible
> on the finished shaft? Where is it located on the shaft?

This technology was developed by M.I.T. for the Defense Dept.
It is nothing like the LS.
This is the real deal. I have had it tested and the results are clear and
scientific.

I will have a small vibration test machine in Valley Forge.

It is not visible. It is concealed by a maple sleeve at the rear of the
shaft.
The shaft itself is an 8 piece pie laminated American maple shaft of the
best wood in the US.

Bill Stroud

Fast Larry

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 17:49:4408/02/2005
You could have just saved all that time and bought a red dot Meucci
shaft, www.meuccicues.com

They do not need a hole down the middle to play well. Solid hard rock
maple shafts.

bill stroud

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 17:53:2908/02/2005
> Michael Webb wrote:

> What is the average shaft weight, size, tip and taper. Is there a money
> back guarantee like Predator has.

Average weight of a 13.00mm will be 4.00 OZ.

The LS models will come with a Morri med tip and will be 12.75. Later on we
will add a smaller size if people want it.

The RS will be 13.00mm with a hard tip.

The taper will be a little longer because of the vibration damping. It gives
us a lot of choice in taper and still plays great. There really is nothing
on the market like it.

All shafts will have a better guarantee than Predator.

Bill Stroud

Billy Bob

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 18:02:4108/02/2005
"bill stroud" wrote in message

> It is the first billiard product to incorporate piezoelectric damping to
> reduce unwanted vibration in the shaft...

I am familiar with "mass dampers" in large buildings which cut down on the
swaying during high wind conditions and earthquakes.

But what is piezoelectric damping?

Is this some sort of material which when it bends, generates electricity,
then that electricity does something?

bill stroud

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 18:01:0608/02/2005
Larry,

I happen to be from Missouri also.

This technology works within a tenth of a milli-second and while the tip is
still on the ball.

I will be at the BCA show with lots of demo shafts for you to try.

I won't need any endorsements. This shaft system will sell itself.

Bill Stroud

Fast Larry

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 18:07:4808/02/2005
I am from kcmo. Tell me what effect it can have in a millionith of a
second, now remember, I am a corporate electronic engineer here and not
just a pool player. FL

bill stroud

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 18:22:1408/02/2005
Billy Bob,

Excellent guess. That is exactly what it does.
It is currently used in skis, snowboards and tennis rackets to reduce
unwanted vibration.
You can read more at www.head.com.

Bill Stroud

Fast Larry

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 19:38:0008/02/2005
I do not see my questions being answered, I just see you running and
ducking. If you are going to toss out BS, you must explain how the BS
works.

jpiz...@jandssafeguard.com

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 19:46:5708/02/2005
Head website says 5 msec response time

pltrgyst

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 19:51:5708/02/2005
Not to be a smart-ass here, but as I started reading the post, I was compelled
to check 1) the source and 2) the date. I was afraid I'd mislaid 50 days. 8;)

My serious reactions were: 1) The joint adapter could be a point of weakness,
since it means there's an extra joint in the cue (unless this is mitigated by
one of the patents), 2) Does the piezoelectric current require amplification,
and thus a power source on the cue? 3) When will RSBers be able to actually buy
one of these beasts for evaluation? and 4) What joint adapters will be
available, when, and at what price? I hope adapter availability will not be as
mythological as that of various joints for the Predator-Z shaft.

-- Larry

pltrgyst

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 19:55:0408/02/2005
"The Shaft for All of USSS" (tm) ? That's been threatened here before. 8;)

Not to be a smart-ass (who am I kidding?), but as I started reading the post, I
was compelled to check 1) the source and 2) the date. I was afraid I'd slept for
50 days.

pltrgyst

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 19:54:1708/02/2005

bill stroud

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 22:45:3208/02/2005
Larry,

1. The Universal adapter is firmly glued in place as soon as the proper
adapter is selected. The resulting construction is stronger than
conventional designs.

2. In the initial application no power sorce is required. The
piezoelectric material generates it own power.

3. Shafts will be available at the Allen Hopkins Expo for all to try.

4. Adapters will be available for every joint design made no matter how
obscure. One to fit will be included in the price of the shaft.

5. A raw adapter will be made available to all cue makers at nominal
cost so that they may match any decorative design for their customers.

Bill Stroud

Billy Bob

non lue,
8 févr. 2005, 23:31:3408/02/2005
"bill stroud" wrote in message

> 2. In the initial application no power sorce is required. The
> piezoelectric material generates it own power.

So what would happen if I were to place my neighbors vibrator up against
the shaft, and then held onto the butt. Then tried the same with another
persons shaft and butt?

John Pierce

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 00:54:4109/02/2005
"bill stroud" wrote

> 4. Adapters will be available for every joint design made no matter how
> obscure.

Bill,

Does this include carom shafts (e.g. Ron Kilby's work) where the shaft is
the male side of the joint?

-- jwp <-- just joking, actually

weedwacker

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 01:04:1409/02/2005

Fascinating. I'd actually love to try it. I've worked a little bit
with piezoelectric elements used in very small motors (piezoelectric
vibration motor). As you obviously know, piezoelectric materials
convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa (an
electrical signal applied to the piezoelectric material causes the
piezoelectric material to vibrate (actually oscillate). This vibration
can be used to drive small elements, e.g., in cameras.

However, it seems there would have to be a power source (battery). The
electrical signal generated by the peizolelectric element would have to
be processed in some manner using some circuitry (as in the Head tennis
racquet).

Also, how does damping the vibration result in "more accurate striking
of the cue ball"? (I can understand how it changes the feel of the hit,
but vibration occurs after the hit, not before.)

bill stroud

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 08:34:5009/02/2005
>weedwacker wrote:

> However, it seems there would have to be a power source (battery). The
> electrical signal generated by the peizolelectric element would have to
> be processed in some manner using some circuitry (as in the Head tennis
> racquet).

The material I use in my design consists of graphite fibers aligned in a
longitudinal manner. They are then bonded in a viscous elastic medium.
No additional power is required. The material will generate electricity from
mechanical energy itself. When this happens the material stiffens at a sub
atomic level momentarily.

In the Head design there is material+circut+processor and all this makes its
reaction time slower than my design. They get 100% damping and I only get
35%.
My feeling in choosing speed over ammount (besides delevopment costs) was
that the smaller time delay would allow a real effect on the tip end of the
cue.

Because the amplitude of the oscillation of the tip end of the shaft is 35%
less I feel more accurate striking of the cue ball should be a given. I am
trying to find a camera fast enough to actually record this event.
I do know from playing that this shaft is quieter, feels more accurate, and
more controlable than any shaft I have ever tried. Once you try it, I think
you will agree.

Bill Stroud

bill stroud

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 08:39:3809/02/2005
> John Pierce wrote:

> Does this include carom shafts (e.g. Ron Kilby's work) where the shaft is
> the male side of the joint?

There is no reason an adaptor can not be created for this style carom cue.
I want it to be truly universal in nature.

Can you send me the specs?

Bill Stroud

bill stroud

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 08:42:5509/02/2005
They are using a more complicated system. ie: material+circut+processor =
takes longer but more damping.

Bill Stroud

Patrick Johnson

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 09:18:2009/02/2005
bill stroud wrote:

> Because the amplitude of the oscillation of the tip end of the shaft is 35%
> less I feel more accurate striking of the cue ball should be a given.

What does "more accurate striking" mean here? Since the tip is already
on the ball when vibrations begin (that's what causes the vibrations),
you can't improve the accuracy of the initial contact by damping them.

Maybe you mean damping the vibrations DURING the 1-2ms contact period
prevents the tip from slipping ("skittering") on the ball's surface
during this time? (This is the theory offered by the LimbSaver people.)
Do you have any evidence (other than "personal experience") that
skittering happens, and that reducing it improves shot accuracy? (I
don't have any evidence to the contrary, just wondering.)

> I do know from playing that this shaft is quieter, feels more accurate, and
> more controlable than any shaft I have ever tried.

Are you saying it feels more accurate and IS more controllable, or it
feels more accurate and FEELS more controllable?

I'm sure it's frustrating to announce something like this here and then
have to endure the grilling of people with too much time on their hands.
On the other hand, this is a good place to develop and rehearse your
answers to the tough questions (maybe even to refine the technology).

I like your responsive attitude so far.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

JoeyA

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 09:32:2309/02/2005
CONGRATULATIONS, Bill!

The Internet would be a great place to advertise your innovative shaft.
Let us know what the web address will be.

I look forward to using it in the near future.

Warm regards,
JoeyA
New Orleans

:
: This is a new type of shaft system that is on the leading edge of
: technology.
:
: It is the first billiard product to incorporate piezoelectric damping to
: reduce unwanted vibration in the shaft. The immediate result of this

: technology is increased feel and more accurate striking of the cue ball.

:
:

Fast Larry

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 11:24:0209/02/2005
Good luck sir on your new product and I wish it to be a huge success.
Only through innovation and invention does any sport go forward. Fast
Larry

bill stroud

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 15:15:1309/02/2005
> Patrick Johnson wrote:

> What does "more accurate striking" mean here? Since the tip is already
> on the ball when vibrations begin (that's what causes the vibrations),
> you can't improve the accuracy of the initial contact by damping them.
>
> Maybe you mean damping the vibrations DURING the 1-2ms contact period
> prevents the tip from slipping ("skittering") on the ball's surface
> during this time? (This is the theory offered by the LimbSaver people.)
> Do you have any evidence (other than "personal experience") that
> skittering happens, and that reducing it improves shot accuracy? (I
> don't have any evidence to the contrary, just wondering.)

I do mean vibration damping during the 1-2ms contact with the cue ball.
As I said I am looking for a faster camera to prove it. The one used in
Jacksonville is too slow.

Feel and perception play a large part of gaining confidence and playing
well.
Personally I immediately had more control and really liked having less
vibration.

Here is some other information about the shaft.

A new ferrule material with a high modulus that does not take chalk or mark
when it is scraped on the felt.
Both styles of shafts have been subjected to break tests for a continuous 2
hour period without failure.

The real proof will be when players get to try the shaft for themselves.
That is why I will be at Hopkins and the BCA shows.

Bill Stroud

penguin

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 15:59:4909/02/2005
There are high speed film cameras available for rent that shoot at up
to 1000 frames per second. I used one of these once to shoot an airbag
deployment for a client of ours. Plan on lots of lighting when you do
that too. A camera similar to this what was use for the Jacksonville
experiment photography. How will you measure the dfection qualities of
your shafts...have you built a robot of some sort like Predator and
Meucci?
Mike

Jim Wyant

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 19:16:2809/02/2005
On 2/9/05 8:34 AM, in article jpoOd.41447$TP4....@fe07.lga, "bill stroud"
<bi...@cues.com> wrote:

I think this last paragraph is largely the claim as well as the perception
of most people who try Layani Cues. I have let dozens of people try my cue
without exposing them to the joint first. Their immediate reactions are
almost word-for-word what you said in the above paragraph. Can you compare
and contrast the differences between what Thierry Layani is producing and
what you are offering?

Can you give some more info on the ferrule? Your single sentence in another
post was as confusing as it was informative.

Thanks. And I appreciate your willingness to discuss this. I'm looking
forward to seeing this at Valley Forge.

--Jim

> Bill Stroud

David Hakala

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 20:54:4709/02/2005
Lots of interesting technical questions and answers. I've been messing with
piezo effects lately. It sounds like this system would work!

How much does it cost, Bill?

David Hakala

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 20:55:3409/02/2005

"Fast Larry" <fastla...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Good luck sir on your new product and I wish it to be a huge success.
> Only through innovation and invention does any sport go forward.

You mean I DON'T have to practice???

;-)

T T

non lue,
9 févr. 2005, 23:56:3209/02/2005
Universal fit........As an industrial maintenence technician and part
time motorcycle mechanic I know that phrase as geek speak for "it'll fit
anything as long as you have a drill, and a sander.....and a
welder........and a CNC lathe.........and a few hours........."

lightbulb

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 02:14:4710/02/2005

"Billy Bob" <billybo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> So what would happen if I were to place my neighbors vibrator up against
> the shaft, and then held onto the butt. Then tried the same with another
> persons shaft and butt?

Rarely have I seen anything so deserving of a few puns.

Mike

Pat Hall

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 07:29:5610/02/2005
Bill are thse shafts going to ba available for sale at the show too or
is this just a demo of a futre product?

PatH

bill stroud

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 08:16:5010/02/2005
David,

200-230 more with ivory ferrules.

Bill Stroud

bill stroud

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 08:30:0510/02/2005
>>Patrick Johnson wrote:

> Bill are thse shafts going to ba available for sale at the show too or
> is this just a demo of a futre product?

There will be shafts for sale at the show.
I am making about 40 right now.

I should have adapters for most of the more popular joint styles but can
have any style on request.

Bill Stroud

bill stroud

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 08:40:3310/02/2005
> >> weedwacker wrote:

> Can you give some more info on the ferrule? Your single sentence in
another
> post was as confusing as it was informative.

The ferrule has a very high modulus of elasticity. That means it can
distort a great deal and still return to its original condition. This is a
squirt reducing pnenonomen.

In the LS version a thin wall ferrule is used.
In the RS version a thick wall ferrule is used.

Both designs have solid wood beneath but the LS has lower mass resulting in
less squirt.
Both have an extremely solid and quite hit with very little vibration. What
vibration there is stops very quickly.

I have never hit a Layani cue but I suspect that it is not using the same
kind of technology.

Bill Stroud

HopsNBarley

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 09:47:4010/02/2005
bill stroud writes:
> It is the first billiard product to incorporate piezoelectric damping to
> reduce unwanted vibration in the shaft. The immediate result of this
> technology is increased feel and more accurate striking of the cue ball.

If an object is not vibrating, do you feel anything? If an object is
vibrating, do you feel anything? By limitting vibration wouldn't that
reduce feel and not increase it? I never understood the reason to reduce
vibration in cues. I'll be in VF this year, can't wait to try them.

Glenn

jpiz...@jandssafeguard.com

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 13:14:4410/02/2005
Bill:

Will you post a link to a cut away drawing?

Tracy Beal

non lue,
10 févr. 2005, 23:41:4610/02/2005
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:30:05 -0700, "bill stroud" <bi...@cues.com>
wrote:

>I should have adapters for most of the more popular joint styles but can
>have any style on request.

What size pin, will fit without an adapter, or is it a brand new odd
size? If this thing turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread,
are you going to keep up with demand, or outsource the production? I
remember not too long ago you brought up harmonics, now it makes
sense. Good luck with your new innovation.

Tracy

Aunty Dan

non lue,
11 févr. 2005, 13:22:3611/02/2005
Best of luck with your venture Mr. Stroud. How do you feel your product will
compare with the new set of shafts from McDermott?
--
Aunty Dan
"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer

"bill stroud" <bi...@cues.com> wrote in message

Pizza Bob

non lue,
11 févr. 2005, 19:36:3311/02/2005

> The material I use in my design consists of graphite fibers aligned in a
> longitudinal manner. They are then bonded in a viscous elastic medium.
> No additional power is required. The material will generate electricity
> from
> mechanical energy itself. When this happens the material stiffens at a sub
> atomic level momentarily.

Bill:

Is this technology similar to what the automakers are now doing with active
suspensions? They use magneto-rheological dampers. The viscosity of the
fluid changes when an electrical current is passed through it. On a car this
is done with a processing unit and the car's electrical system. In your
shaft I'm envisioning that the piezo-effect creates the current that causes
the fluid to "stiffen". Is this basically correct? Interesting. See you at
VF.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Peter Morrud Corneliussen

non lue,
14 févr. 2005, 03:35:3514/02/2005
Now...I've read all the posts in this thread, and to be perfectly
honest, I still don't se the point. I've had the chance to do a
vibration-damping project a few years back, using piezo-electronics, and
the explanations I've seen so far, doesn't really satisfy anything.
First of all, piezo-electronic elements kan be made to vibrate when you
send some kind of voltage through it, and by making it vibrate in the
oposite fase as the material you want to stabilize, the effect is a
dampening.

As I see it, there are several issues which needs to be better explained.

You need some kind of powersource, not only for the piezo-element, but
also for the IC's etc you need to control the piezo-device (if this
isn't done properly, the piezo-device will only enhance the vibration
exponentially, and guess what THAT'll do to your cue...) One
possibillity would be to implement two piezo-elements, one which would
absorb the vibrations and generate voltage, and one that does the
damping, BUT, this kind of circuitry would have a snowflake's chance in
hell to be fast enough to act during that splitsecond when the cue is in
contact with the cueball. Secondly, where does one place this kind of
electronics, in the butt of the cue? (which, i pressume, would wreack
havoc to the weight-distribution of the cue).

Last, as mentioned in the last post, does the vibrations really do that
much of a difference to the performance of the cue? Personally, I don't
think so, but then again, I've always been kind of a traditionalist on
these subjects, I believe that sports (golf, billards, football,
tennis...whatever!) should be played without the means of electronic
devices, this is not a money-race which means that the player with the
most money wins, the objective of playing sports, should be to find the
most skilled or gifted player...but again, that's just my point of view!!

That being said, I whish you the very best of luck with your product,
unfortunally I live across the atlantic (which explains my poor english)
so I won't be able to be at the expo to witness this invention, but I
look forward to hear more about peoples reactions (it could be that I'm
wrong ;o) )

Last, if it's possible, I would like a LOT more specs...I'm really
interested in finding out how you've implemented these ideas!

Best Regards
Peter Corneliussen

Peter Morrud Corneliussen

non lue,
14 févr. 2005, 09:17:0914/02/2005
Patrick Johnson wrote:

> Peter Morrud Corneliussen wrote:
>
>> ...I've read all the posts in this thread
>

> Did you read this one?

> "The material I use in my design consists of graphite fibers aligned in
> a longitudinal manner. They are then bonded in a viscous elastic medium.
> No additional power is required. The material will generate electricity
> from mechanical energy itself. When this happens the material stiffens
> at a sub atomic level momentarily."
>
> This pretty clearly says Bill's doing things differently than you say he
> must do them.
>
> (A little actual reading woulda saved you some irrelevant typing...)
> Pat Johnson
> Chicago

Yeah, but it would still require aditional circuitry to do some signal
processing...

Patrick Johnson

non lue,
14 févr. 2005, 09:10:4614/02/2005

Guy Grasland

non lue,
14 févr. 2005, 14:15:3114/02/2005
Are there any scientific proofs (vibration measurement for instance) ?

"Peter Morrud Corneliussen" <pmc...@cs.aau.dk> a écrit dans le message de
news: 4210629e$0$29278$1472...@news.sunsite.dk...

andy

non lue,
14 févr. 2005, 20:19:5814/02/2005
Just more snake oil to sell to poor uneducated rubes like Patrick
Johnson who believe everything they read. LOL

andy

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:21:27 -0700, "bill stroud" <bi...@cues.com>
wrote:

>After five years of development I am ready to announce the Universal smart

>shaft system.
>
>This is a new type of shaft system that is on the leading edge of
>technology.
>

>It is the first billiard product to incorporate piezoelectric damping to
>reduce unwanted vibration in the shaft. The immediate result of this
>technology is increased feel and more accurate striking of the cue ball.

Jim Wyant

non lue,
14 févr. 2005, 22:47:0714/02/2005
On 2/14/05 9:17 AM, in article 4210b2ac$0$29276$1472...@news.sunsite.dk,

And, I just don't understand what he means when he says "The material will
generate electricity from mechanical energy itself." This implies that the
movement of the cue generates the energy... Or is it the momentary stop at
impact?

Will this change the heat generated during the tip-to-cue ball contact?

If the electricity is generated by movement or impact, do different speed
shots generate different amounts of electricity, and if so, to what end?

What about when people tap their cue on the floor?

What happens to any excess electrical energy created?

--Jim

Patrick Johnson

non lue,
15 févr. 2005, 01:09:5615/02/2005
Jim Wyant wrote:
> ... I just don't understand what he means when he says "The material will

> generate electricity from mechanical energy itself."

Try reading something about piezoelectricity. It's a commonly known
phenomenon.

Here's a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezo

Pat Johnson
Chicago

weedwacker

non lue,
15 févr. 2005, 02:39:5215/02/2005

Actually, the use of piezoelectric ceramics as both active and passive
vibration dampers is cutting edge technology (do a Google search).
Also, you may not have been aware, but piezoelectric transducers are
also used in various other applications, including well-known ones,
such as microphones and ultrasound devices.

I think the efforts to apply this technology to pool cues shows great
innovation. I admire those out there trying to push the envelope.
Obviously time will tell whether this type of cue meets a need that is
out there and has commercial success. Regardless of that outcome, I
find it a fascinating development.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that there are only about 40
issued patents related to pool cue tips. That's over the last 150+
years. To me that says either (1) people aren't trying too hard to
come up with new stuff, or (2) there's just not too much you can do to
change/improve the leather tip.

I would have thought someone would have come up with a synthetic or
other material to challenge the leather tip. Similar to the graphite
tennis racquet, the aluminum baseball bat, the metal wood in golf.
Maybe there is no comparable substitute.

Jack Stein

non lue,
15 févr. 2005, 08:44:5615/02/2005
weedwacker wrote:

> I would have thought someone would have come up with a synthetic or
> other material to challenge the leather tip. Similar to the graphite
> tennis racquet, the aluminum baseball bat, the metal wood in golf.
> Maybe there is no comparable substitute.

While not the tip, I have played with one of the McDermott I Series
shafts hooked up to a high end cue and it played exceptionally well.
This shaft is patented and made from carbon fibers or something in a
unique way.. I too always wondered when a synthetic material would
surpass wood for a shaft and this just might be the start. I'm
seriously thinking of getting one myself.

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/PAGES/I%20Shafts/ICE%20more.htm.

I'm a bit surprised no one around here has brought up the subject?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Jim Wyant

non lue,
15 févr. 2005, 18:54:2615/02/2005
On 2/15/05 1:09 AM, in article sJudnR-B2Ku...@comcast.com, "Patrick
Johnson" <patrick...@comcast.net> wrote:

My understanding was the material itself needed to be subject to that
mechanical energy, and that compaction was far more efficient than
directional changes in generating enough compaction to make it work.

It almost sounds like this device is a screw-in component that resides
between the butt and the shaft. I'm not sure how else mechanical energy
could be realized behind the shaft. But I'm not sure how the changes get
applied back down the shaft in such as way as to make a difference other
than the resulting feel.

Understanding the science still provides me absolutely no clue as to what
this thing looks like and why I should believe it works. Heck, this is more
nebulous than Hal Houle's Aiming Systems....at least I can see how those
work.

Guess I'll get some of my questions answered in about 4 weeks when I get to
VF. In the meantime, it sure would help if Mr. Stroud would post a sketch
or a pic of this somewhere.

--Jim

JoeyA

non lue,
16 févr. 2005, 09:25:3116/02/2005
I doubt that Mr. Stroud will be elaborating much more on this.

If his product is as good as he says it is, his competitors will be trying
to copy and improve on his unique idea and he shouldn't be helping their
research and development. I wouldn't give as much information as he has.
JoeyA

"Jim Wyant" <j.w...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
: On 2/15/05 1:09 AM, in article sJudnR-B2Ku...@comcast.com,

:
:

Fast Larry

non lue,
16 févr. 2005, 10:37:1916/02/2005
I hope it works and I look forward to trying anything new that comes
along. This is how any sport advances, innovation and invention.

Come chat with me live at www.billiards-pool.net
THE POWER SOURCE POOL SCHOOL "Fast Larry" Guninger
web site www.fastlarrypool.com
POOL LESSONS FROM A GRAND MASTER LEVEL INSTRUCTOR, BILLIARDS EXPERT AND
FORMER ARTISTIC WORLD CHAMPION. 770-381-6609, fax 770-381-1916
POOL QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND FREE INSTRUCTION IS ON
www.billiards-pool.net In the ask the pros forum.
"Fast Larry" Guninger and Wonder Dog, trick shot shows and
entertainment.
Email fast...@bellsouth.net fast larry at bell south dot net

May God bless and peace be with you. May there now be peace between
us. If you are a real pool player, then fast truly loves you. May
the wind be always on your back and all 9 balls fall.
VENI VIDI VICI, OMNIA VINCIT AMOR. "Fastus Maximus. " Latin for
"I came, I saw, I conquered, love conquerors all. Yes I really did
do it all and you can believe it, or not. If you don't believe it,
C'est La Vie. " Shoot straight, innovate, never give up, just run
out on the other guy then there is no way for you to lose.
Either lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way. Do one of the
three please. "Winners make things happen. Losers let things happen."
In the words of Vince Lombardi, "When it comes to the future, there are
three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it
happen, and those who wonder what happened."

0 nouveau message